• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be interested in Witcher 1&2 remakes?

Sleepwalker

Sure, let's remake the whole PS360 gen since AAA devs have ran out of ideas anyway. :messenger_sunglasses:

Only half jokking

Last edited:

ruthriordan

Neophyte
Like make characters faces look more like their Witcher 3 version so it's more consistent, and possibly various fixes here and there, but this would just be a remaster kind of work, not a remake.

Dacon

Banned
Witcher 2 could do with a decent cleanup in a remaster.

TW1 actually is in dire need a full remake. The game is such a mess to play, the combat, the visuals, damn near everything needs an update,

Witcher 1 definitely needs a full remake. Honestly, graphics are the least of its issues. people like to shit on Witcher 3 for bad combat but holy shit you should play W1 lol. The story could do with a bit of reworking too. it's been a while since i played it but i remember it dragging on for a bit in chapter 2 (?). I'd love to see Witcher 1 rebuilt from scratch using the Cyberpunk engine which is the same as Witcher 3 but obviously way more advanced. i'd say they could easily just update it to Witcher 3 engine but since we're getting Witcher 3 with cyberpunk engine then might as well just use that for any W1 remake. plus it would allow for stuff like raytracing/dlss etc.

despite the combat and that bit of story that goes in circles for a bit...the game, at least imo, is still playable and enjoyable. the UI is quite dated, the graphics aren't pretty, and there are some performance issues but at it's core it's a really fun game to play through. now i'm thinking about it i would really love to go back and play it. i really hope they do a remake. it sucks that so many people will ignore it because of how old and dated it is.

Witcher 2 they could get away with updating the engine, improving visuals a bit, and refining controls.

Last edited:

Soodanim

I haven’t got round to playing 1 yet, but I heard it isn’t exactly the most polished product out there. I’m still playing 2, and that has some rough edges of its own but visually it’s mostly fine. Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

I wonder if they’d give many upgrades to 2 with a remaster. There’s an official mod, made by a prominent modder for 1 that they later employed. It added new animations and changed quite a lot in the perk and combat systems. That could easily be revisited and worked into the main game. A few QoL upgrades that people mod on PC, like reducing the time before you can loot after combat, would go a long way to making it feel less janky and more modern.

BootsLoader

Banned
Not really. I’m interested in the Witcher 3 remaster or whatever it is. I hope they make it as good as possible. For Witcher 1 & 2 it will take a lot of time and resources. Not worth it.

I haven’t got round to playing 1 yet, but I heard it isn’t exactly the most polished product out there. I’m still playing 2, and that has some rough edges of its own but visually it’s mostly fine. Just needs a few tweaks here and there.

I wonder if they’d give many upgrades to 2 with a remaster. There’s an official mod, made by a prominent modder for 1 that they later employed. It added new animations and changed quite a lot in the perk and combat systems. That could easily be revisited and worked into the main game. A few QoL upgrades that people mod on PC, like reducing the time before you can loot after combat, would go a long way to making it feel less janky and more modern.
if you are enjoying the witcher games you should definitely give the first game a shot. it's dated yeah but if you can get past the combat and visuals i think there's a fun enjoyable game there for any witcher fan. the visuals didn't bother me at all but the combat took some getting used to. that's definitely the biggest hurdle. i played it in 2015 (after playing w3 of course) so by that point it was already 8 years old. it's now 14 years old so...yeah i can't say how it holds up now but definitely give it a try.

if you haven't actually seen gameplay then check it out:

Last edited:

Soodanim

if you are enjoying the witcher games you should definitely give the first game a shot. it's dated yeah but if you can get past the combat and visuals i think there's a fun enjoyable game there for any witcher fan. the visuals didn't bother me at all but the combat took some getting used to. that's definitely the biggest hurdle. i played it in 2015 (after playing w3 of course) so by that point it was already 8 years old. it's now 14 years old so...yeah i can't say how it holds up now but definitely give it a try.

I don’t remember how or when, but I own 1 so I’ll definitely give it a chance before I get 3 at one of the deep deep sale prices it now goes for.

I don’t remember how or when, but I own 1 so I’ll definitely give it a chance before I get 3 at one of the deep deep sale prices it now goes for.
sorry i assumed you had played 3. personally i don't know if i would have stuck with W1 if i hadn't already played W3 first. have a look at W1 and if you think you will enjoy it then by all means play 1 before 3 but just know there's no harm in playing 3 first and going back to 1. the games kinda stand on their own so it doesn't really matter what order you play them. i did 3 > 2 > 1 but 2 > 1 > 3 would be fine.

if you have steam (and a pc that can run Witcher 3) then i'll be happy to gift Witcher 3 to you. just send me your steam name.

Last edited:

Soodanim

sorry i assumed you had played 3. personally i don't know if i would have stuck with W1 if i hadn't already played W3 first. have a look at W1 and if you think you will enjoy it then by all means play 1 before 3 but just know there's no harm in playing 3 first and going back to 1. the games kinda stand on their own so it doesn't really matter what order you play them. i did 3 > 2 > 1 but 2 > 1 > 3 would be fine.

if you have steam (and a pc that can run Witcher 3) then i'll be happy to gift Witcher 3 to you. just send me your steam name.
That’s very generous of you, but no need to spend money on me! I just meant that I have a backlog long enough to see me through to when I can take advantage of the low price it goes for these days - I’m in no rush. I was going to buy it recently, but I want to make sure I see 2 through before I buy 3. It’s been 7 years since I started, I always forget it’s there or I’m not in the mood for that sort of game. But it clicked in a way it hadn’t before when I recently played, so I think this could be the time I stick with it until the end. I might even replay it with that combat mod on Dark mode, that sounds very different.

That’s very generous of you, but no need to spend money on me! I just meant that I have a backlog long enough to see me through to when I can take advantage of the low price it goes for these days - I’m in no rush. I was going to buy it recently, but I want to make sure I see 2 through before I buy 3. It’s been 7 years since I started, I always forget it’s there or I’m not in the mood for that sort of game. But it clicked in a way it hadn’t before when I recently played, so I think this could be the time I stick with it until the end. I might even replay it with that combat mod on Dark mode, that sounds very different.
the GOTY is going for £7 on steam right now. not bad for about 150 hours worth of content (well that's how long it took me to get through it lol). i have some money in my account i can't decide what to do with so i'm more than happy to gift you it. its up to you but if you want it the offer stands :)

Soodanim

the GOTY is going for £7 on steam right now. not bad for about 150 hours worth of content (well that's how long it took me to get through it lol). i have some money in my account i can't decide what to do with so i'm more than happy to gift you it. its up to you but if you want it the offer stands :)
Going OT here, but you could always use a Steam trading card farmer and sell all of your cards to put towards a full price game when the time comes

Going OT here, but you could always use a Steam trading card farmer and sell all of your cards to put towards a full price game when the time comes
done that a while ago. don't think i've got much worth selling. i bought a game a while back but refunded it so the money has just been sitting there lol i keep going to look for something to buy but can't decide. i went to buy star dew valley the other week but turns out i had already bought it long ago :)

Shut0wen

I think the time is right for The Witcher 1&2 remakes. The IP is probably at its peak of popularity right now and it will only get more popular with the season 2 of the tv series. Do you think CDPR would want to do it? Or should they focus on The Witcher 4?

By remakes i'm talking about complete overhauls of both graphics and gameplay (especially the combat) and even dialogues.
2nd game to this day still looks and plays great, gameplay is better then the 3rd game but id rather the first game got remade with witcher 2s combat and just the 2nd game alone

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I think the time is right for The Witcher 1&2 remakes. The IP is probably at its peak of popularity right now and it will only get more popular with the season 2 of the tv series. Do you think CDPR would want to do it? Or should they focus on The Witcher 4?

By remakes i'm talking about complete overhauls of both graphics and gameplay (especially the combat) and even dialogues.
If they can bring them to the switch also. I think it would be a money maker.

BoiledPeanut

Neo Member
YES, please. I started playing The Witcher Enhanced Edition Director's Cut over the weekend, and it is definitely showing its age with the combat and dialogue. A stark difference (well, duh) with The Witcher 3. Still gonna finish it and then replay the third game tho.

Soodanim

If they can bring them to the switch also. I think it would be a money maker.
CDPR tend to strive for a strong graphical showing with their games, a Switch port would have to be done separately to not hold the other versions back. But they would do definitely well after the Netflix series and 3 being so popular

Loope

I loved the 1st game, the swamp part drags a bit but i really liked the game

V4skunk

Banned

No.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
CDPR tend to strive for a strong graphical showing with their games, a Switch port would have to be done separately to not hold the other versions back. But they would do definitely well after the Netflix series and 3 being so popular
That reminds me I wonder what this new DLC is ?

thelawof4

Absolutely not. I can already imagine how they would "change story, characters and gameplay to adapt to a changing audience". Fuck this. The original games are perfectly playable as always. There is no need to do this.

Last edited:

Dazraell

I don't think The Witcher 2 needs a remake, a remaster would be more than enough as game isn't really so dated.

The Witcher 1 could use more of a proper remake though. I was really surprised CDPR never tried it since all of these assets for Vizima, Kaer Morhen and Velen they did for TW3.

abcdrstuv

Banned
Always seemed like the logical next step for them.. ground-up retellings of both w new engines, open worlds, expanded quests/lore & gameplay systems.. just keep the chronology and main beats

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The story is indeed fine. But the way they sectioned the game and the areas within... I mean I literally 100% the game and did both storylines... the gameplay and combat felt boring. Witcher 3 was a BIG step up in every department. Besides 2 is too recent to need a Remake unless they make it open world.
Yes. The Witcher2 :Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition is playable on XSX and they added a really awesome intro movie.

Absolutely yes, I played both but when they was released. A lot of gamers never played the first and second one so this is a good opportunity for CDP.

But why a remake?A simplier remastered will be good enough

Krathoon

The funny part about the Witcher 1 is all the recycled peasant models. Still, it makes sense in a way. They are probably all related.

The idea of a modern remake of The Witcher 1 and 2 excites me way more than the thought of a GTA trilogy remaster. Was actually replaying part 2 recently and it reminded me how incredibly amazing that game still is. Would be a day one purchase for me.

Last edited:

Physiocrat

Just make The Witcher 4. There's loads of mods to give a bit of a lift to 1 and 2.

I recently replayed both. 1 wasn't as good as I had remembered but 2 is excellent especially with a mod to prevent you from becoming overpowered as well as HD texture pack

Last edited:

Mozzarella

Witcher 2 Remake? no
Witcher 1 Remake? yes but not very hyped.

I dont want any new Witcher games either, i think this franchise ended nicely and it should rest for some years, i think CDPR after Cyberpunk could try to acquire new IP, like VTMB and make something out of it, WoD lore is interesting and CDPR could nail that even if i have less faith in them now but if they manage to make rich (non-open world) RPG in this setting and nail it, its going to be nuts.

Witcher 1 - proper remake
Witcher 2 - HD/PC Port.

Beelzebubs

If they outsourced to a team like Bluepoint (Yes I know they're practically Sony exclusive) and focused their internal dev team on The Witcher 4 I'd be down for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom