• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you buy a Ninja Gaiden Master Ninja Collection ?

This on PC.
I'd pay ANY price, KT.

Sigma 2 haters are ridiculous.

Yes, Sigma 2 is flawed, but NG2 was far from perfect.
It's not the same difference that there was between Black and Sigma 1.

Yeah you're full of shit.

The Sigma versions of NG 1 and 2 are great, and you're incorrect about the reasoning behind Sigma 2 having less enemies. You call out Sigma 2 for being "dumbed down" because it had less enemies and gore, but then conveniently forget to mention that the Xbox 360 version ran like garbage because it had too many enemies onscreen. Also, since we're bringing up Digital Foundry, they said the Xbox 360 version was "virtually unplayable" at times because of the performance issues, and that the PS3 version was the better version of the two. Give the Sigma games credit where their due, people. They're both great versions of great games.

And so are you.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
i used to be in agreement with the 'sigma 1 and 2 are pretty okay' side in years past... but as time went on, i started replaying black/2 more and more, and sigma/sigma 2 less and less, to the point where i realized i have no desire to ever touch them again and finally sold them off last year.

as people have said, if these games ever get ported they'll be sigma and not vanilla, and i have no interest in that. my 360 has a permanent place on my shelf just for these games anyway.

thelastword

Banned
Give me Black and 2 and I'll pay the money. None of the Sigma BS tho.
Give me a remaster of Sigma + Sigma 2 with decapitation and the higher enemy count which was lost going to Sigma, they have enough power in current gen consoles to do so with decapitation+blood splatter. Don't forget the Vita version of Sigma2 already brought decapitation back.

It makes no sense to try and redo Black, when you have more advanced graphics to work with from the Sigma games. I'd like to replay Razors Edge too, so include a remaster of that as well.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Its nice to dream OP.

You'd take your 1080p resolution Sigma+Razor's edge ports and like it.

Personally, the only thing i'd really want them to change is adding blood back into the second game, its just annoying having blue junk come out of badguys in 2 when 1 and 3 had no problem with blood all over the place.

I understand enjoying Black and OG NG1, but NG2 had a lot of issues...Sigma 2 fixed a lot of those but added more, so its a series of pros and cons for which you like more.

SephLuis

Give me a remaster of Sigma + Sigma 2 with decapitation and the higher enemy count which was lost going to Sigma, they have enough power in current gen consoles to do so with decapitation+blood splatter. Don't forget the Vita version of Sigma2 already brought decapitation back.

It makes no sense to try and redo Black, when you have more advanced graphics to work with from the Sigma games. I'd like to replay Razors Edge too, so include a remaster of that as well.

Sigma/Black is probably easier to make into a definitive edition, since the changes between them aren't that big.

But Sigma 2 and NG2 are completely different games. Sigma 2, by having less enemies with a lot more health, changes the very core of the game completely. NG2 has a lot more enemies, but these can be killed in fewer attacks without any issues. Doing a definitive edition of this would be almost impossible.

L Thammy

It isn't a Master Ninja collection unless it includes private messages from an angry Microsoft PR guy.

But yeah, I'd like it. I still haven't jumped on the reboot series except Razor's Edge, which is probably not the best representative.

stn

This thread is making me want to buy NGB on the 360. I still have it on the OG XBox but relish the idea of having a digital copy on my HD. Decisions...

bidguy

Banned
honestly the only good ng games were the ones without hayashi as director

so unless its black and 2 no, id rather stick my hands in blenders before i touch another hayashit game

Sure, but the fact that it's 'a zombie game lol' rather than 'a game including zombies' is the most emblematic thing about it outside of being a pile of shit that nobody asked for.

I don't disagree, but at the same time if you aren't going to be able to match Ninja Gaiden 1/2 then I'd honestly prefer if you tried something different. Spark understood this with Yaiba, even if it didn't turn out. Post-Itagaki Team Ninja did not, and on top of their games not turning out well they also give off whiffs of their superior predecessors. I guess this means they play better, but it's also more disappointing somehow. I don't want to constantly be reminded that this is a lesser version of a gameplay model I already love.

Ninja Gaiden 2 on Steam would be an instant buy for the 60fps version of the original stairway battle alone.

It already runs 60fps. It just does so in slow motion!

It would be unplayable at full speed, though I absolutely would a love a PC release of Ninja Gaiden 2 with a generally cleaned up framerate. They already basically patched out that section anyway -- too many younger gamers don't understand slowdown -- so any PC release would presumably have it gone too.

I'd like a collection with a straight port of Ninja Gaiden Black and a remake of Ninja Gaiden 2.

No sigma versions, no 3, it would just dilute a quality product.

Soodanim

Clearly the consensus is that the best version of 1 is Black. Seems to be that the best version of 2 would be a Black 2. Make that, have a NGB collection, be done with it.

I only played the demo of 3, and I don't really feel like I missed out. I keep forgetting it exists.

Inuhanyou

Purists are the worst thing ever i say, especially in the Ninja Gaiden fandom. Itagaki don't deserve half as many accolades as he's gotten just in my opinion, as good as DOA and Ninja Gaiden turned out.

I guess it makes some people feel special to hate on versions of video games that are 80% the same as the ones they put on a pedestal, and just as functional and fun to play.

If there's anything i don't understand in gaming, its the Sigma and Hayashi hate bandwagon

Risette

A Good Citizen
Purists are the worst thing ever i say, especially in the Ninja Gaiden fandom. Itagaki don't deserve half as many accolades as he's gotten just in my opinion, as good as DOA and Ninja Gaiden turned out.

I guess it makes some people feel special to hate on versions of video games that are 80% the same as the ones they put on a pedestal, and just as functional and fun to play.

If there's anything i don't understand in gaming, its the Sigma and Hayashi hate bandwagon
lol have you ever played vanilla NG2

Sigma 2 is completely fucked

Inuhanyou

lol have you ever played vanilla NG2

Sigma 2 is completely fucked

I've played and beaten all ninja gaiden games, both original and alternate editions.

And as good as the stairway of doom was, it was bogged down by shitty infinite offscreen rocket spams, fire tortoises that explode with an instant kill without any indication your supposed to do anything, horrible underground worm bosses and shitty unbalanced flying enemies that seem to almost always respawn until you run out of arrows.

As i said, Ninja Gaiden 1/Black/Sigma was an amazing game full stop. Ninja Gaiden 2 was a series of pros and cons, Sigma 2 fixed some of those cons, but added more of its own cons too.

I can't in good faith say Ninja Gaiden 2 is objectively better, cause that would be a lie. Its a mess fans have convinced themselves is 'hardcore' because they managed to get through it. Sigma 2 is a lot easier, but still is a mess in regards to design.

Demoskinos

I think people are WAY to hard on Ninja Gaiden 3 its the weakest of the series, Yes, but 3/10? I still think that IGN score is absurd. To answer the question posed Yes having a full breadth of every version of every game would be incredibly cool.

Demoskinos

Preach. The people who irrationally hate on the Sigma games make me eye roll. As you said its a series of trade-offs in both cases. And personally I think Sigma 2 is the better playing experience overall despite it removing some things I really liked from the game like giving the ranged weapons UT's and some of the visual things like the gore (which Sigma 2+ added back in but.... shame it has such a shitty frame rate....)

xyzls

Hell yes.

They need to give us Ninja Gaiden Black and 2 with DOA5 / DOAX3 graphics.

It wouldn't be new, the old Team Ninja did the same with DOA2 Ultimate on Xbox.

Eolz

edit for above: it's way harder to remake action games with a different engine than fighting games (which is already not an easy task).

I'm still waiting for NOE to release Razor's Edge at 29€.
I won't pay 60€ after reading all the reviews...

Where do you live? Unless you want digital, you can find it relatively easily for 20-25€ or less.

beril

I bought the SNES trilogy cart recently so I'm good. Don't really care about the modern ones. I did play the first on xbox and enjoyed it well enough but never felt any desire to revisit it

I know I would, PC or PS4. Would prefer Black + OG NG2 but wouldn't turn my nose up if it were the Sigma versions. I played both after I sold my 360 and they weren't the terrible tragedies hyperbolic posters are making them out to be, good lord.

Never played NG3, didn't like what I heard.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Yes, Ninja Gaiden Black is better than Sigma. But its not vastly superior like some in this thread seem to be suggesting. Lets try to compare:

- Rachel missions. These are mediocre and should have been optional.
+ New music. Its really catchy and fits the original game just fine.
- Doku's first form boss music was changed. The original was better.
+ New area in chapter 2 after the horse rider boss where you enter a burning building. Pretty neat.
+ New dual katanas. These are very well balanced and do not break the game, nor are they useless. The 360 attack in particular can deal good damage but is a fairly slow and deliberate move.
- You can heal with the D-Pad. Normally this would be a huge positive, considering having to go into a menu just to use a small potion is shitty. But the problem is you can heal during boss grabs which gives you greater margin for error which by extension means Sigma bosses are a little easier.
-/+ Removes some of the lame "puzzles", lever finding, and switch pressing. They add nothing to the game. Some people like it though (?)
+ New fiend challenge in the airship is nice, those enemy types needed a fiend challenge.
+ Greatly improves the water controls.
-/+ Adds new save statues and shops to certain places. I'm a fan of this but some people prefer the original placements.
+ Camera is slightly better in Sigma compared to Black. You can more easily use the right stick while you're moving with the left stick. Its not nearly as stiff.
-/+ The Berserker enemies are harder in Sigma. Using the Lunar's counter won't give you as many i-frames to combat them and even if they are off-screen they are far more aggressive in this version with using their energy ground attack. This can be seen as an imbalance.
- Random loading at a few doors and treasure chests.
+ The new enemies are all pretty neat. Motorcycle guards can be Guillotine Thrown off their bikes. Mermaids in the underwater level can be izuna dropped. The fat airship boss reskin you fight before the military base is nothing special, but I will gladly take it over the dumb helicopter boss (which you still fight in Sigma later anyway)
-/+ The Mission mode has been jumbled around from Black. Really weird arbitrary changes. One mission has you fight Doku, Alma, and Marbus at the same time in a small demon arena. Another has Rachel fight the Alma reskin and Ishtaros at the same time too. These can be crazy harder which is nice but they encourage spamming certain moves.
- The Sigma karma timers in some fights have been fudged with, for those who care about online leaderboards.

Sigma's are for those who can't handle the real games so opt for the kiddie experience and pretend they are still able to handle in the adult swimming pool...

I can't speak for Sigma 2 since I never played through it. Just from playing the Sigma 2 demo alone, I can say I wouldn't enjoy it very much compared to the original. But with regards to Sigma 1, you're wrong.

Black was the one that added the easy mode. And lets not pretend you can't spam izuna drop on humanoid enemies in ANY version of the game. Then charge up a UT with their essence, unleash it, and repeat ad nauseam. Ninja Gaiden is not an "adult" game, not even on Master Ninja. I conquered it before I was even able to legally have a job.

Shauni

I would prefer Black HD over a Sigma remaster, but I would still buy Sigma. I'm sort of surprised we never got a collection of any kind. I guess Koei was one of the companies that didn't really opt into the remaster craze so much now that I think about it.

ArchAngel

I loved the puzzles and pathfinding on the first one.
Bought a PS3 for Sigma and was very disappointed by it. Nothing over Black + 2 vanilla for me.

Sigma 1 was decent, another remix of NG but Sigma 2 was poor. They added fluff and removed features I enjoyed.

I wish Team Ninja the best with Ni Oh but I'd love a Ninja Gaiden collection

Inuhanyou

I think people are WAY to hard on Ninja Gaiden 3 its the weakest of the series, Yes, but 3/10? I still think that IGN score is absurd. To answer the question posed Yes having a full breadth of every version of every game would be incredibly cool.

This is on place i'll disagree wholeheartedly. NG3 is absolute shit. Its not hyperbole. 3 out of 10 is a fair score.

It only went up to 6 or 7 when Razor's edge came out because they redid entire sections and completely revamped the combat to not be a mash fest. Infact, i largely consider Razor's edge to be a different game, just because the experience was so much better, even though it was still a problematic game because of basic game design like binding your health to finding a save point or doing a special attack, while having no real weapon variety.

Those of you who never tried Razor's edge, i give it a recommendation...it really should have been how 3 originally released to begin with at the very least.

Preach. The people who irrationally hate on the Sigma games make me eye roll. As you said its a series of trade-offs in both cases. And personally I think Sigma 2 is the better playing experience overall despite it removing some things I really liked from the game like giving the ranged weapons UT's and some of the visual things like the gore (which Sigma 2+ added back in but.... shame it has such a shitty frame rate....)

Yep..Sigma 2 can be contrasted with NG2...i think they both have their weaknesses as well as strengths, i can't say one is better over the other in terms of experience. NGS2 has a lot less frustrating moments, but Ninja Gaiden 2 has a few more epic moments.

KiteGr

Only if we get the best of all worlds.

By that, i mean having both the futures of the Sigma versions, and have uncensored violence in all regions.

Gitaroo

I would like a director's cut of sigma 1 and 2 with higher enermy count and the gore from NG 2 running at 1080p 60fps.

TheWraith

A brief series recap for those who need one -

There's the original Ninja Gaiden Arcade game that plays kind of like a single player double dragon. It's not really the greatest game but it was the first entry in the series.
Then you've got the NES trilogy , regarded for their obscene difficulty levels, catchy music and genre defining cutscenes, each one filled with it's own story and bosses along with slight gameplay tweaks. The first entry has an obscure turbografx port that sort of looks better but has it's own issues, NG2 remained NES only in it's original format and NG3 got ported a few times.

Two things: You forgot the excellent Sega Master System NG, which is not a port. Also the PC Engine/Turbografx game is a port of the arcade, not of the first NES game! :)

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
only if it was the non-sigma editions

and given that hayashi is in control of team ninja now that seems unlikely

MCD

Vanilla, Sigma...whatever. I need the collection on current gen in any form. PC version too for max performance and future compatibility.

Looking at Tecmo Koei's output on PC, I honestly wouldn't be interested in the least bit unless it's a good (or overall decent) port. As far as the games go...

-Ninja Gaiden Black/Sigma:
I'm honestly fine with either one being in the collection. Some of the changes were annoying in the Sigma version, but overall both Black and Sigma were great.

-Ninja Gaiden 2 (...I guess):
Not really sure about this one. The original Ninja Gaiden 2 had a bunch of issues (framerate, stupidly high difficulty, etc.), but in the end I still had fun playing through it. Sigma 2 fixed some of those issues, but added more (statue bosses weren't really good, certain sections removed, limited upgrade system, and the newer chapters weren't exactly that great) to the point where I got pretty annoyed with the whole thing. Sigma 2 isn't bad by any means (in fact it's good), but compared to the first Sigma game I thought they went too far with some of the changes they've made. So...I guess the original, but honestly I wish they finished the original version instead of releasing the two that we got.

Never played the original version of Ninja Gaiden 3, but looking at some gameplay footage here and there it looks like a hot mess. If they decided to include 3, might as well stick with the updated Razor's Edge version (which I thought was fine overall).

thelastword

Banned
Sigma/Black is probably easier to make into a definitive edition, since the changes between them aren't that big.

But Sigma 2 and NG2 are completely different games. Sigma 2, by having less enemies with a lot more health, changes the very core of the game completely. NG2 has a lot more enemies, but these can be killed in fewer attacks without any issues. Doing a definitive edition of this would be almost impossible.
Which can be changed and balanced, just like they can include blood splatter + decapitation, bring in new bosses or levels, change up some levels....

Changing enemy count, how strong they are is something that can be done easily in a remaster. Just as Sigma2 did it going from vanilla NG2, so did Dark Souls 2 SOTFS, so they can strike a balance of enemy count + enemy health in a new remaster without issue. Cue the changes made in Vanilla NG3 to Razor's edge, they can even add bosses cut off from old NG2 if they want to, but don't forget the cutback was because some people complained about certain bosses and the slowdown in the game on a certain chapter. All the changes in Sigma was not because they did it for the hell of it.

Top Bottom