• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay 800 Dollars for the PlayStation 5 at launch?

Well, would ya punk?

• Yes

Votes: 93 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 606 86.7%

• Total voters

etp_1

I probably would pay 800 or maybe even 900 at launch for an PS5 + GT7 and an decent wheel, since i think my G27 won't work on the PS5, yes.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
At that price you can built a pc.

This again. You can. But not one with the capabilities of either the PS5 or the XSX as well including all components to use the box including external components. I, of course, exclude the monitor or TV since that wouldn't be included in what you get in the box with a Console.

DelireMan7

I wouldn't pay that much. It's too much.

Around 500€, I could buy it without thinking (I say "could" because it depends on the games available at that time)

At 600€, I will probably get it after some thinking.

Above that I'll wait for a price drop.

Trimesh

Banned
Money isn’t a concern for many people. Are you shocked every time you see someone drive a $50K car when $20K cars exist?

There is more than just price though - it they released it at $800 then I wouldn't buy it for the simple reason it would be pretty much DOA.

Freeman

Banned
The price should be $399 DE and $499 regular.

Maybe $449 DE and $549 could work, anything beyond that is insanity.

If Sony set out to make a $599 console to replace the PS4 they are a bunch of morons.

Last edited:

Tschumi

Depends on the size of my monthly paycheck, and what else is on my shopping list at the time. Somehow, 70,000 yen doesn't feel as big as $800 here.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My current plan is:
• Buy discounted gift cards to Best Buy - Example, $10 off $100 gift card = $50 - $60 savings assuming the price is between $500-$600 U.S, or obviously $80 saving off $800.
• Use Best Buy rewards certificates as much as possible (Currently, $100)
• Put the balance on a Best Buy 2-year 0% APR promotion or balance transfer to a credit card with a good offer.

This should help make paying for one or both systems a bit more easy to swallow, assuming, you are still able to consider making the purchase(s).

Mobilemofo

Would I bollocks. If people were stumped on £600 for the ps3, why the fuck would we pay £800. Sony can get fucked at that price.

supernova8

Banned
I'll pay max $499 but to be honest I may just wait a year or so until there are better games to play. Don't forget there's a PS Plus account that has to be paid for to make having a console worthwhile. The earlier you buy it, the longer you end up paying for the services and I'd rather not do that.

F no.

Mass market consoles really shouldn't be priced above $450 max, with $400 or less being ideal. The manufacturers should work around that budget to create the best machine they can. Making an extremely powerful console that has a much higher cost is ultimately not going to be good for mass market. Someone who's looking for that much power can just build their own custom PC. Consoles are always about finding the perfect balance between power and price.

Last edited:
Absolutely not...any price over $499 is a non-starter for me. Even then, buying one isn't exactly a lock for me...there's nothing on the horizon, except for Demon's Souls, that makes me feel like I need to have one right away.

DESTROYA

Like the bug eyed broad in the commercial would say
5Lwio7l.jpg

How about NO!

Romulus

If they launched with an incredible lineup I could only play on ps5 maybe, especially if some of the games were VR. Won't happen though, sony rarely delivers at launch.

ape2man

Yes, The older you get the more disposable income you have. (i can afford it) I realized a while ago that i like certain things and i dont give a fuck about other things.

So i live like a hobo and be gaming like king.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

500 is probably the limit for me unless the console would have some crazy good exclusives I'd be desperate to play as soon as possible.

Esca

there's no way I'd be able to afford it and it would be the first gen I wasn't part of

Even when I did get the cash I don't think I'd hop in at that price

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
PS4 $500
Xtra DualSense $60
Two Games to play at launch $120
PS Plus $60
Tax for all here in Massachusetts $46
Total $786

Yeah I suppose I would!

slayerjman

Neo Member
Nope. No way in hell. If they release it at that price I'll be waiting for a price drop. Now if they announce it to be within the $400-$550 range it'll be an instant preorder from me.

500 for me, I think most gamers would be around this number especially in times like these, that's the most reasonable price, maybe 599 if they show more exclusives that are worth it . If it comes out at 699 or more, I'll be waiting for a price drop and stick to my gtx 980 pc

Last edited:
Not a chance that's too much and it would fall flat on its face aswell because people ain't gonna buy it then untill there's a sale or summat , I believe there's a magic number people are willing to pay for a console much like the price of the PS4 this gen or maybe like £50 more so around £400 max £450 that's all I'd pay .

I know this is kind of an overblown statement at this point.. but.. I do find it interesting that people will spend nearly $1000 every year or two on a cell phone, but freak out when a gaming console which lasts 3-6 years is over $400.

Personally.. I'd love it if there was an ultra premium $1000 console option, decked out with more powerful specs to guarantee 60fps+ in every game.

All that being said, still think Sony would be foolish to launch a console at $800 considering the general public expectation of console pricing.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be honest... I'd pay $800 today for a PS5 that would retail for $399 (or less) at launch if I was guaranteed release day delivery and no longer had to worry about pre-ordering the console, etc...

Reactions: MrS
Top Bottom