• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you pay 800 Dollars for the PlayStation 5 at launch?

Well, would ya punk?

• Yes

Votes: 93 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 606 86.7%

• Total voters

Hezekiah

Banned
I know this is kind of an overblown statement at this point.. but.. I do find it interesting that people will spend nearly $1000 every year or two on a cell phone, but freak out when a gaming console which lasts 3-6 years is over $400.

Personally.. I'd love it if there was an ultra premium $1000 console option, decked out with more powerful specs to guarantee 60fps+ in every game.

All that being said, still think Sony would be foolish to launch a console at $800 considering the general public expectation of console pricing.
But the people who pay $1000 for a phone are using it every minute of the day, while the PS5 is an entertainment device. And the console price is just the starting point. For a phone you just need maybe a case and screen protector, most apps you buy are going to cost peanuts.

However it's not going to be $800, it's not even going to be $600.

Kamina

Golden Boy
drevil_cover.jpg

Entroyp

I’ll pay $599 tops, But I would have to convince myself if it’s worth it at that price (depends on launch games)

No. $800 is way too much.

$600 is my limit. To be honest, if it doesn't have backwards compatibility at launch then I'm not going to buy it at all. Too big of a PS4 backlog.

farmerboy

I've said yes, but I'll qualify that by saying yes to 800 dollars AUD. That probably equates to a 500 dollar console in America.

MiguelItUp

Absolutely not. I'm not even wholeheartedly interested in the PS5 at launch, unless there's some magical announcement.

Honestly I don't think I'd pay more than $400-$500 for a console at launch.

saintjules

I know this is kind of an overblown statement at this point.. but.. I do find it interesting that people will spend nearly $1000 every year or two on a cell phone, but freak out when a gaming console which lasts 3-6 years is over $400.

Personally.. I'd love it if there was an ultra premium $1000 console option, decked out with more powerful specs to guarantee 60fps+ in every game.

All that being said, still think Sony would be foolish to launch a console at $800 considering the general public expectation of console pricing.

I'm somewhat with you on that. The thing with the purchase of phones though are that there's the monthly installments you make into your bill as opposed to paying the entire amount in full on the spot, which you would do for a new Console ultimately. Of course, there are those who buy phones outright.

I personally wouldn't mind paying a higher tier priced Console because every 7+ years that we get one. If you're a working individual or someone who saved early enough then it's easily attainable.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Get ready fellow Canadians.

If SeX or PS5 are $500 US, it'll be $600 (like X) at minimum. MS did us a favour instead of going to $650 which what the currency exchange is really.

But don't surprised if they both edge it up to $650.

Add in some starter $80 games, and perhaps another controller if you need one and you're basically at $1,000. Add in tax and you're at $1,100.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
No, I really enjoy the PlayStation exclusives and the UI and all, but I'm not going over $550. Might push to $600. Anything beyond that I can wait. Same for the Series X.

longdi

Banned
I would prefer if Sony designed PS5 for 599. There will be less cutbacks, probably faster ram, more CUs, more cpu cores. People are paying more for phones already.

Imagine if every new gen, the minimum specs leap are much greater!

Justin9mm

No. $800 is way too much.

$600 is my limit. To be honest, if it doesn't have backwards compatibility at launch then I'm not going to buy it at all. Too big of a PS4 backlog.
It's already confirmed it has backwards compatibility for PS4 games, it's prior generations that is up in the air.

Reallink

I would pay $800 for a 3080Ti class console (or maybe a 3080), but I'm a definite fuck no for the budget box 2 year old 2070/2080 class consoles we're getting.

Last edited:

YoodlePro

Absolutely no.

But, personally (don't Lynch me) I couldn't care less if it costs over 1k, I've already locked in my PS5 at max €200.
There was some GameStop deal here in Italy. €50 advance pay, trade in Ps4 Pro and you get PS5 at launch for €200. I went straight in man.

Reactions: MrS

turtlepowa

Banned
Absolutely no.

But, personally (don't Lynch me) I couldn't care less if it costs over 1k, I've already locked in my PS5 at max €200.
There was some GameStop deal here in Italy. €50 advance pay, trade in Ps4 Pro and you get PS5 at launch for €200. I went straight in man.
Sounds not like the best deal. You could easily get 250 for a Pro in good condition. So that's actually 499 and you have no Pro anymore. If it will be less than 499 you lost money, if Gamestop goes completely broke before PS5 release you lost even more.

YoodlePro

Sounds not like the best deal. You could easily get 250 for a Pro in good condition. So that's actually 499 and you have no Pro anymore. If it will be less than 499 you lost money, if Gamestop goes completely broke before PS5 release you lost even more.
You could be right but I have a bad habit of not selling my consoles, I still have my PS1.

This way I'm forcing myself to upgrade lol. It seems that this time around there won't be a reason to keep the ps4 around with the ps5

EDIT: besides, prices tend to tank before launches because everyone is trying to sell to upgrade, seen it plenty to not want to deal with that.

Last edited:

turtlepowa

Banned
You could be right but I have a bad habit of not selling my consoles, I still have my PS1.

This way I'm forcing myself to upgrade lol. It seems that this time around there won't be a reason to keep the ps4 around with the ps5

EDIT: besides, prices tend to tank before launches because everyone is trying to sell to upgrade, seen it plenty to not want to deal with that.
Ah, i thought you aready had to give them the Pro. Then it's ok-

Hell fucking no. If they go over $500 on any model they're smoking that crack pipe, it won't sell very well even at $550. History has shown over and over and over and OVER again that people are most likely to buy a console at launch if it's $399 or less. Sony and Microsoft could pull off $499 and sell out their initial stock but it'll slow down after that.

If you rly think that they're gonna charge 400 for those specs then you got another think coming. That'll be too much of a loss to them. 500 is doable and more realistic.

Top Bottom