• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you play a new cel-shaded Spider-Man game, like Treyarch's Ultimate Spider-Man but better?

Would you play a new cel-shaded Spider-Man game?

• Total voters
I think it'd be pretty cool to see another Spider-Man game that really leaned into its cartoony, comic book origins with improved cel-shaded graphics. I understand it probably won't happen because most gamers prefer more realistic graphics but I still wonder what a new open world Spider-Man game with cel-shaded graphics would look like today? Also, I'm not talking about something like Shattered Dimensions where it had unique levels, but rather the entire game is cel-shaded like what we saw in Ultimate Spider-Man.

What do you think, GAF? Specifically, would you still be immersed in a new Spider-Man (or let's say, Batman, for those who don't like Spider-Man) if the graphics were cel-shaded with good attention to detail?

MrA

considering ultimate spider man was a solid, though unspectacular entry but would mean a spectacular spiderman and that's would be a good thing

kiphalfton

Problem with that is publishers have been playing it safe since the PS2 era, and so this will never happen. That and devs are obsessed with using photogrammetry or making the characters look realistic. That was a neat concept, seeing how comic book characters translate to live action movies and what they may look like IRL, up until about 2010's... but that's been done to death and it's too played out at this point. Would love a return to cell-shaded look, that has the same visual style as a comic book.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I liked the look and feel of Ultimate Spider Man if they would have had more content it could have been a great game.

Even so it's still one of the better Spider Man games when looking back.

Last edited:
The Into the Spiderverse look would make a good transition here.

It makes it look modern while keeping its comic roots.

Playable Venom would be a big sell for me.
Yeah I was thinking this same thing too. Would love a Spidey game with this kind of art style and the gameplay of Spider-man 2018.

I would like it, but i think people will buy every Spiderman game anyways. People just love Spidy. I mean even the shitty The Amazing Spider-Man 2 sold well in consideration of the low hardwarebase at that time. and the low to non existant marketing budget compared to Sony.

K2D

Banned
Into the Spider-verse style 👍

Edit: Especially Nicholas Cage-Spiderman, I guess!

Last edited:
Top Bottom