• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW Im going to be a dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
With a girl that Ive barely known for 4 months. I just got confirmation from her that she is indeed pregnant a few hours ago. My mind is going a hundred miles an hour and Im completely shocked. Im not ready to be a dad. I dont know how to approach my family and tell them. I havent even met her family for all I know they could be crazy. Abortion is not an option since I dont believe in it. Any advice from dads here at GAF?

Miguel

paternity_test.gif

Socreges

Banned
Not going to act like I know what you're going through (or WILL go through), but I just thought I'd tell you that I think your situation sucks and I feel for you. I hope that helps.

Piecake

If she wants an abortion you have no say in the matter, so abortion still is a possibility.

Anyways, id tell your parents, ask for advice, and then work a lot more hours than you are now.

Also, tell your parents as soon as possible so you can get it out of the way, so you dont worry about it anymore.

SSGMUN10000 said:
Im not ready to be a dad.

Y'know, they make products for people like you.

18-200x200.gif

Were you the victim of a tear or were you going free range? Either way, congratulations and remember: every dad isn't ready to be one when he finds out. Most all turn out to be pretty good at it anyway, I'm sure you will, too.

Rorschach

Adoption. PLEASE!

[edit]^ if it was a tear...morning after pill, peoples! It's available over the counter in most places now, damnit!

aoi tsuki

i can't offer advice, but this is the one thing that scares me at night every now and then. i had unprotected sex with one girl in my entire sexual history a few years back. She was on the pill, and she was in Iraq as recently as September, which pretty much rules out pregnancy, but it still freaks me out from time to time.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Flynn said:
Let me assure you; abortion does exist.

No believe me its NOT an option. Id rather kill myself then allow an innocent baby killed especially one that is mine. Hopefully thats true keeblerdrow, my brothers have become great fathers to their children. I could never imagined them as fathers but there hearts melted once they saw their babies.

Flynn said:
Let me assure you; abortion does exist.

:lol

Well, here's the deal since you have made it clear to me at least what you think you should do. I would first off buck up and act like a man I would first talk to her and see what she would like to do and then you all come up with a solution together. Right or wrong know that she is in the driver seat and if she wants to have the baby or not you just have to suck it up.

Once you all decide on what is going to happen then you should go and talk to your parents and her parents as well. You all are going to need some serious help and your actions are going to effect their lives as much as yours.

Now then don't go off and do anything stupid like get married or anything like that. Remember you don't really know this chick so keep this child bearing thing as a business transaction (trust me it will become one soon enough).

PS: If she goes thru with the pregnacy get the paternity test before you sign anything. Don't let emotions overcome you because you could be one of those unlucky stiffs paying child support on a kid that's not yours.

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, if my brother's child has been an illustration in any way, it's that the grandparents are CRITICAL in unplanned births. For money, for care, for everything. So, first thing tomorrow I would begin practising on how I would tell them. It's very important that your parents don't screw you in order for you to "learn your lesson", so make it clear that you know you fucked up, and let them yell at you as much as possible. Just shut up and take it. Then pray that they support the child. Your girlfriend will obviously have to do the same.

If all four parents are behind you, the child can be a blessing. You and your girlfriends will remain the responsible ones, but the support that they can provide is, I would think, totally necessary.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well the thing is she no longer has her parent but I have both of mine. Her guardian is her brother who according to her is very over-protective of her. I sorta have an idea on how my parents will react but dont know how her family is.

SSGMUN10000 said:
Well the thing is she no longer has her parent but I have both of mine. Her guardian is her brother who according to her is very over-protective of her. I sorta have an idea on how my parents will react but dont know how her family is.

her brother is going to turn you into ass pudding :D

Just talk with her and come up with a plan, its both your kid.

SSGMUN10000 said:

Well he did a shitty job. :lol

Overprotective or not he as well as your parents need to be in your corner. He may be mad but, he'll get over just like your folks will.

Try and convince her to drop the kid off at a hospital or a police station before anyone tries to convince her to have an abortion.

Macam

Banned
Ghost said:
I want to feel sorry for you, but first i need to know, do you have a full time job?

There's no one to feel sorry for. Not to sound cold-hearted, but all this could've been avoided rather simply. Right now, it's in their hands. If she is indeed pregnant, take the advice of the first reply, do yourself a favor, and get a paternity test; as for the whole abortion issue, that's the girl's decision and hers only. Best of luck.

Just for the record, in case you guys don't check the fine print, condoms don't guarantee you won't get a girl pregnant; they merely severely reduce the chances of it. There's always that 2% chance, and unlikely as that may seem, it happens. The pill is your safest bet, but condoms are still necessary to prevent spreading most STDs, infections, and so on.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
SSGMUN10000 said:
No believe me its NOT an option. Id rather kill myself then allow an innocent baby killed especially one that is mine.

I'm starting to wonder whether this thread was started with the pure intent of pissing off pro-choice people on the board. I know some people at GAF who would think like that ...

B'z-chan

Banned
I just hope she does the right thing. If you cant support the child and its still the early weeks. She better go to the clinic. I'm pro choice. So its her body her choice. If you dont have the money for 18 years of child support and she still wants to go through with it. Just let adoption services do what they should do.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
if you feel you guys cant handle the kid... and abortion is out of the question. you can always give him/her up for adoption.. would be difficult to do, but the option is there.

Koshiro

Nerevar said:
I'm starting to wonder whether this thread was started with the pure intent of pissing off pro-choice people on the board.
I'm pro-choice, my girlfriend isn't, so I can appreciate people that have that view. SSGMUN - what do you think of the morning-after pill? It's an option...

SuperPac

Koshiro said:
I'm pro-choice, my girlfriend isn't, so I can appreciate people that have that view. SSGMUN - what do you think of the morning-after pill? It's an option...

Isn't the morning after pill a high-dose birth control pill? It only works within 5 days of intercourse. Sounds like it's been more than that since he knocked her up if she already knows she's preggers.

Phoenix

SSGMUN10000 said:
With a girl that Ive barely known for 4 months. I just got confirmation from her that she is indeed pregnant a few hours ago. My mind is going a hundred miles an hour and Im completely shocked. Im not ready to be a dad. I dont know how to approach my family and tell them. I havent even met her family for all I know they could be crazy. Abortion is not an option since I dont believe in it. Any advice from dads here at GAF?

Dude I've been married for 5 years and I'm expecting my first (in April) and I'm not "ready". I don't think you can ever truly be ready to take on the responsibility of bringing a new life into the world. You just do it.

Phoenix

Gonaria said:
If she wants an abortion you have no say in the matter, so abortion still is a possibility.

Not entirely true. You'd be surprised how far you can go with the courts on matters of this nature. Its a man's child as well.

doncale

Banned
SSGMUN10000 said:

WELL, I'm GLAD I'm Not You :lol

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Well if you weren't playing safe....then you'd better step up and take some responsability for your own stupidity.

If it was an accident then still step up but do some serious talking with the girl....hopefully she wasn't some one night thing.

I agree about paternity...

It would help to know your ages, you make it sound like you are both pretty young.

Pimpwerx

SSG: How old are you? You have the income to support a family and medical bills and stuff? If not, my suggestion is to get a new cell phone. Maybe skip town for a bit.

Sounds shitty, but if you're not ready to be a dad, them's the breaks. You could try and be a dad with a girl you'll probably resent and then that kid could have a nice, fucked up life. Or, you could do the shitty thing and just not return her calls. I hate to sound like a prick, but women are the ones who have to carry the child. The majority of the responsibility lies with them. If there was a chance casual sex would result in me carrying a burden for the rest of my life, you can bet your ass I'd be more careful, or pursue other options like abortion. but since I don't have to worry about that, I don't. And if I was in your position, I hate to say it, but I'd either make the one time payment to get the abortion, and then be really careful in the future. OR, I'd just tell her I can't do it, and let that be the end of it. But then skipping town's always a decent option in case she has homicidal friends/family who'd beat the shit out of you for being a deadbeat.

But the option you're considering can ruin all three of your lives. Chances are you will get divorced, and have to pay some sort of child support. You're gonna regret it for years to come. At least the two crappy options I mentioned above lets you cut your losses and move in with your life. But having the kid means you're in it for the long haul. PEACE.

ShadowRed

Banned
Mike Works said:
Will I ban him... will I tolerate his post... I haven't made up my mind yet. Sorry to leave you with such a coathanger.

:lol

Nerevar said:
I'm starting to wonder whether this thread was started with the pure intent of pissing off pro-choice people on the board. I know some people at GAF who would think like that ...

Why would that piss off pro choice people? Pro choice means prochoice not pro abortion. If he doesn't believe in abortion a pro choice person isn't going to have a fit over it. It's his choice lets hope he can deal with the consquences.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Ive always said I would take responsibility for my baby thats not a problem. Im just completely stunned though. Then Im thinking out of all my ex girls why this one, why does she have to end up pregnant. Yeah as far as the morning after pill its out of the question. Its been at least 3 weeks since we last had sex.

For people wanting to know our ages. Im 27 and she is 19. I currently work full time and make pretty good money. Benefits the whole nine yards. Taking care of her and the baby will not be a problem. I also have a great family who I can count on if I ever need help. Just have to get past telling them.

border

Ouch....sounds like you fucked up her life a lot more than your own.

My only advice would be -- don't get married to her. The chances that you'll have a lifelong relationship are probably nill. When you divorce you'll be stuck paying alimony on top of child support. Things are already fucked up enough as-is. Legally adopt the child or make sure he's put into your will; otherwise bastards do not inheirit your stuff if you die.

She could probably still take RU-486....not quite the same thing as an abortion.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well we are still dating. I have nothing against her. Im just getting to know her as a person. BTW what is RU-486?

way more

aoi tsuki said:
AKA "The Abortion Pill". It's effective up to something like eight or nine weeks after pregnancy.
Not "The Abortion Pill." RU-486 is more like the normal pill except one dose works instead of taking it every day. I repeat, there is no abortion, it simply prevents the egg from becoming fertilized.

Edit: The link above is mentions another drug, prostaglandin, which I know nothing of. I guess it does work weeks later.

Edit 2: I'm thinking of the morning after pill, nm.

aoi tsuki

mac said:
Not "The Abortion Pill." RU-486 is more like the normal pill except one dose works instead of taking it every day. I repeat, there is no abortion, it simply prevents the egg from becoming fertilized.

Edit: The link above is mentions another drug, prostaglandin, which I know nothing of. I guess it does work weeks later.
i was using the "abortion pill" reference for familiarity. And IIRC, it does require more than one administration.

Edit: You beat me to it (re: Morning After pill).

NLB2

Banned
Lemurnator said:
Try and convince her to drop the kid off at a hospital or a police station before anyone tries to convince her to have an abortion.
Lemurs, you, more than any other poster, often leave me wondering "WTF?"

Che

Banned
There's always adoption you know. Anyway do whatever is possible, but do not screw your life man.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Che said:
There's always adoption you know. Anyway do whatever is possible, but do not screw your life man.

Seriously I could never forgive myself if I gave up the baby for adoption. The way I feel is that it is no longer my life but rather to live for the baby. If that makes any sense.

So the pill prevents fertilization or just further develpoment? Since its already been weeks I dont see how its different from abortions where its been several months.

Pimpwerx

SSGMUN10000 said:
Ive always said I would take responsibility for my baby thats not a problem. Im just completely stunned though. Then Im thinking out of all my ex girls why this one, why does she have to end up pregnant. Yeah as far as the morning after pill its out of the question. Its been at least 3 weeks since we last had sex.

For people wanting to know our ages. Im 27 and she is 19. I currently work full time and make pretty good money. Benefits the whole nine yards. Taking care of her and the baby will not be a problem. I also have a great family who I can count on if I ever need help. Just have to get past telling them.
Well, you're not in too bad shape then. I originally had the impression of a kid in his teens. But you could get by. But like I said before and everyone else, don't get married. Whatever you do, never marry out of necessity. It'll be the worst thing to happen to you and the kid. But you could always be her baby daddy. :lol God knows if I have some bastard kids around the way somewhere, but I don't care to find out. PEACE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom