• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WOW Im going to be a dad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AssMan

Banned
Well, no one here knows you. They are, however, making assumptions based on the fact that you're asking for parental advice on an INTERNET VIDEO GAME FORUM.

For fucks sake. You ruined this girl's life, and how do you think people will react to this? What's it that you're having problems with in finding a woman the same age as you? Sigh*. Society is fucked up.

:::goes back to watching 10 minute cut scene about why human's procreate in Metal Gear Solid:::

Azala

Give him a break guys. He's already stated abortion is not an option for him. I don't think he has to justify his reasonings, morally, ethically or religiously. He wasn't looking for a debate, he was merely stating what his limits were. He's asking for help and advice not pressure to do something that goes against his moral fiber as well as his heart. Personally I have a lot of respect for him. He sounds like he's willing and able to step up here and that tells me that despite not feeling ready he is ready - or as ready as you can be. And I think he'll do a good job.

So here's my advice. Sit down with her and talk. Find out how she's feeling and what she wants to do. Let her know how you are feeling and what you'd like to do. Communicate and work it out. Be emotionally supportive. Offer to be there when she breaks the news to her family. There's no need to get married unless you're certain she's the one, and if you're certain the kid is yours then don't be a jerk and demand a test. That's just demeaning. Offer and attempt to make all prenatal appointments with her. It will help prepare you. Be involved in the entire process. If she needs an ear at any hour of the night, be there. If she needs a couch, offer her one. At this point taking care of her emotionally and physically is the same as being there for your kid.

Also remember that it is early, and unfortunately there is still a risk of miscarriage before 12 weeks. You can help by keeping her as calm as possible. High levels of stress, not eating, and other things that come with the territory can cause problems.

And seriously, if you need an ear I'm here.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
she's 19 and you're 27? If I was a gambling man I would bet money on this happening

*you and her try and make a "go of it"
*baby arrives and all the hormones turn your girl insane, she gets restless and decides that the relationship "isn't working"
*you get visitation rights (maybe)
*you father new child with girl your own age and get married.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Thanks guys for the sound advice. Last night I spent some time with her. Im already finding myself to be a little over-protective. Her cousin likes to smoke and I was like step back or smoke away from her, and when we went to eat I told her not too drink caffeine.
We spoke about a bit about it. She really doesnt want to be pregnant but if she is she will be responsible and have it.

BuddyC

This is the best "Welcome Back to the Internet" present ever.

edit: And yes, I plan on actually contributing once I digest the entire thread.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Mr. Blonde said:
SSG=joke character/attention whore. :lol at the people who have been taking his posts seriously.

WOAH... A junior member calling me an joke character/attention whore. Now thats funny. Obviously son you have been around much.

BuddyC

Mr. Blonde has quite possibly been around longer than you, he just doesn't post much. And didn't you learn anything from my threads last summer? (that is, if you were registered then..)

Doth Togo

Azala said:
Give him a break guys. He's already stated abortion is not an option for him. I don't think he has to justify his reasonings, morally, ethically or religiously. He wasn't looking for a debate, he was merely stating what his limits were. He's asking for help and advice not pressure to do something that goes against his moral fiber as well as his heart. Personally I have a lot of respect for him. He sounds like he's willing and able to step up here and that tells me that despite not feeling ready he is ready - or as ready as you can be. And I think he'll do a good job.

So here's my advice. Sit down with her and talk. Find out how she's feeling and what she wants to do. Let her know how you are feeling and what you'd like to do. Communicate and work it out. Be emotionally supportive. Offer to be there when she breaks the news to her family. There's no need to get married unless you're certain she's the one, and if you're certain the kid is yours then don't be a jerk and demand a test. That's just demeaning. Offer and attempt to make all prenatal appointments with her. It will help prepare you. Be involved in the entire process. If she needs an ear at any hour of the night, be there. If she needs a couch, offer her one. At this point taking care of her emotionally and physically is the same as being there for your kid.

Also remember that it is early, and unfortunately there is still a risk of miscarriage before 12 weeks. You can help by keeping her as calm as possible. High levels of stress, not eating, and other things that come with the territory can cause problems.

And seriously, if you need an ear I'm here.

Nicely put.

frogg609

i will say good luck to you. I hope that everything works out for you but here is my question.

She let you have sex with her, without a condom, but she wouldn't give you head because you aren't her boyfriend?

I'm sorry but she sounds a little wacky. Honestly i think this is going to get worse before it gets better (I mean emotionally, not the pregnancy even).

Tazznum1

You're f*cked in more ways than you know.

Taking care of her and the baby will not be a problem. I also have a great family who I can count on if I ever need help. Just have to get past telling them..

Why do you have to take care of her? Maybe that was her plan.

So you weren't even officially bf/gf, yet you guys had unprotected sex. So in turn since you weren't bf/gf she could have been doing the same thing with other guys.

My advice:

1. Do not sign anything.
2. Do not put your name on the birth certificate.
3. Stay away from her as much as possible.
4. Do not get married to her.
5. DNA DNA DNA DNfrigginA test.
6. ASK HER HOW SHE IS GOING TO CONTRIBUTE TO THIS CHILD AND WHAT HER PLANS ARE. Where will she stay? How is she going to support herself? How is she going to pay for the medical? etc.

I'm not saying be a hard on, but with having a child comes responsibility to BOTH of you. This is not a one way ticket for her to be supported because she is having a kid. If you don't have the balls to ask her this, then you are really not ready to be a father.

SSGMUN: This is why I use condoms AND ensure that my partner is using birth control (pills, shot, etc.) All of the fun of sex, none of the risk.

I can't say I feel bad for you if you're feeling guilty/worried about getting her pregnant if you didn't take the proper precautions, that's a consequence of having sex. If a condom broke, or if her birth control failed (both pretty rare in themselves, but that's why I combine the two forms of birth control, as a scenario where both would occur is nigh impossible), then I can see that at least you took some precautions (although, not having sex in her most fertile times of the month is one of the easiest precautions to take to avoid pregnancy). Of course, the only way to avoid pregnancy 100% is celibacy, but I'll take my 3 points of advice above and continue to boink away knowing I'm not going to be getting into a situation like yours until I'm married and ready for it.

BoxerPunchStomach.jpg

Beezy

My god. Do you guys fear babies or something? You make it seem as if there is nothing worse than having a baby.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well a little update on the situtation and things are not going good. We had a huge fight over the weekend and she is threatening to abort the baby. Ill post more later.

Tazznum1

SSGMUN10000 said:
Well a little update on the situtation and things are not going good. We had a huge fight over the weekend and she is threatening to abort the baby. Ill post more later.

Translation: She wants me completely wrapped around her finger. She knows that I don't want her to get an abortion, so she is threatening to abort it to have her way. And she'll probably get her way.

fart

Savant
you should really give her the decision to abort the baby. after all she'll be carrying it to term, and let's face it, she's the one who can't walk away if she goes through with the birth.

note how reasonable my language is here. i do not feel this reasonable. i highly encourage you to consider this very carefully and very critically.

Azala

SSGMUN10000 said:

What was the fight about? Unless she really wants to do it, I doubt she'd go through with it as a threat. Abortion is just not a healthy revenge tactic. It would do more damage to her in the long run. Therefore, I'm betting she's giving the empty threat for some other reason, of which it could be many. I don't know about the girl or the fight's nature so it's hard to theorize which of the many possibilities is most likely.

I am curious, how has the pregnancy been confirmed so far? Home tests? Doctor visit? Suspicion? Were you present?

Even if the others are right and she's manipulating you, she's only got a short window to do so. After that she's stuck and it loses weight, so really it's not a good ploy to get her way either. She has no means of ensuring you keep doing what she wants, it's a threat with a deadline and those don't work. Technically speaking, having the baby wields far more power in the long run - assuming everyone insists on thinking that all women are manipulative bitches.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Alright this is what happened. I hooked up my friend with her cousin. Her cousin happens to be a big, obnoxious, loud, manipulating bitch. My so called gf has been spending the past week with her. My friend likes to go on the single chat line, he went on it last night and happened to run into the cousin and my girl on it. So of course he calls me up to let me know whats going on. He put on the chat line that he had a friend for her cousin. So my home # was given to her and she calls in a few minutes. Me and my friend set-up 3 way and he changes his voice. So she changes her name my friend asks if she was married had a bf etc..she hesitated but admitted she had a bf but was having problems. I heard enough hung up and called her. Spoke to her a bit then called her out on it. Now her and her cousin try to turn it around on me asking y I was on the chat line that it wasnt my girl it was another friend talking. Of course Im not believing them. My girl gets upset says she doesnt care and hangs up on me. Calls me a few minutes later talking about an abortion. This was around 3am and havent talked to her since. I know that sounds confusing but im in a little ruch right now.

Alright this is what happened. I hooked up my friend with her cousin. Her cousin happens to be a big, obnoxious, loud, manipulating bitch. My so called gf has been spending the past week with her. My friend likes to go on the single chat line, he went on it last night and happened to run into the cousin and my girl on it. So of course he calls me up to let me know whats going on. He put on the chat line that he had a friend for her cousin. So my home # was given to her and she calls in a few minutes. Me and my friend set-up 3 way and he changes his voice. So she changes her name my friend asks if she was married had a bf etc..she hesitated but admitted she had a bf but was having problems. I heard enough hung up and called her. Spoke to her a bit then called her out on it. Now her and her cousin try to turn it around on me asking y I was on the chat line that it wasnt my girl it was another friend talking. Of course Im not believing them. My girl gets upset says she doesnt care and hangs up on me. Calls me a few minutes later talking about an abortion. This was around 3am and havent talked to her since. I know that sounds confusing but im in a little ruch right now.

The only thing that's apparent to me right now is that you don't talk enough to this girl. What's with the deception? You don't think she'd be hurt by it? You don't think she'd react irrationally to it? You're clearly (well, I'm assuming) more emotionally mature than she is, so you really ought to have a little more foresight.

And what did she say that's so upsetting? When she admitted to having a bf, but that she was having problems, was it not the truth? What else did she say to make you hang up?

This baby is being had between YOU AND HER. Not your friend and her butch cousin. You say you barely know her - well, you'd better drop that shit and get to know her now, because you two look like you're second-guessing each other and it'll only lead to ruin. You two need to talk more. Now. In an understanding way. Your friend and butch cousin need to stay out of it.

SSGMUN10000 said:

Are you 27 or 17? Dude...take the abortion as a parting gift, do 10 hail marys, and call me in two weeks. Obviously neither one of you are ready for a kid. I'd hate to see how your fuck trophy turns out if you two are both being led by the nose by two other people who get their kicks on chat lines.

And you want to share a child with this girl? Just listen to her but be non-commital- you should do what is in the best intrests for you first and the child if she decides to have it.

MC Safety

SSGMUN10000 said:

The only thing worse than this being an absolute joke would be this being something that is actually happening between two human beings.

Azala

SSGMUN10000 said:
Alright this is what happened. I hooked up my friend with her cousin. Her cousin happens to be a big, obnoxious, loud, manipulating bitch. My so called gf has been spending the past week with her. My friend likes to go on the single chat line, he went on it last night and happened to run into the cousin and my girl on it. So of course he calls me up to let me know whats going on. He put on the chat line that he had a friend for her cousin. So my home # was given to her and she calls in a few minutes. Me and my friend set-up 3 way and he changes his voice. So she changes her name; my friend asks if she was married had a bf etc..she hesitated but admitted she had a bf but was having problems. I heard enough hung up and called her. Spoke to her a bit then called her out on it. Now her and her cousin try to turn it around on me asking why I was on the chat line, that it wasnt my girl it was another friend talking. Of course Im not believing them. My girl gets upset says she doesnt care and hangs up on me. Calls me a few minutes later talking about an abortion. This was around 3am and havent talked to her since. I know that sounds confusing but I'm in a little rush right now.

Believe it or not, this all makes sense to me. From her perspective (19 years old):

She's pregnant and scared. She sounds less sure than you are of her predicament and the solution. The father of her child was talking to girls on a singles line, which can be scary as well. She doesn't know your friend set it up, for all she knows you are putting yourself out there. Sure she could take your word (though it was pretty stupid of you to take the bait and try and 'catch' her, that sort of distrust breeds more distrust right back at you), but she's hormonal, terrified, and potentially has been burnt before. She excuses herself because she both trusts herself, was honest about it, and was probably there for support for a girlfriend - whatever is in her head. She's uncertain about you, and I wouldn't take it personally, it's about her insecurity about her future and her present, and nothing about you. I wouldn't see the abortion as a threat or revenge, I'd see it as her being terrified of having a child, especially with someone she's not sure cares about her (maybe unsure how she feels about you as well), could potentially (again don't take it personally) be playing her, someone that will always be in her life if she does this. What she needs is to have some slack cut to her even though it seems so ludicrous to do so . She's going to pull and say all sorts of bizarre stuff for the next few months. I mean really bizarre thoughts and concerns that will seem huge to her, compounded by her age, and the situation. Welcome to pregnancy, though I assure you there are some wonderful trade offs to balance it out, especially when the baby arrives.

Just call her and apologize for the lame move (yes it was lame on both your accounts), explain it as well as you can, ask her why she was there without sounding judgmental and accusatory, and try and reassure her you are faithful, and want to work out any problems you have. She needs reassurance. You should give it to her.

[edit] and I second Ninja. And I consider taking an abortion as a parting gift morally corrupt and quite disturbing. Come on, regardless of if you are pro life or pro choice this is still a major thing we're talking about and it should be treated with a lot more respect.

Azala said:
She's pregnant and scared. She sounds less sure than you are of her predicament and the solution. The father of her child was talking to girls on a singles line, which can be scary as well. She doesn't know your friend set it up, for all she knows you are putting yourself out there. Sure she could take your word (though it was pretty stupid of you to take the bait and try and 'catch' her, that sort of distrust breeds more distrust right back at you), but she's hormonal, terrified, and potentially has been burnt before. She excuses herself because she both trusts herself, was honest about it, and was probably there for support for a girlfriend - whatever is in her head. She's uncertain about you, and I wouldn't take it personally, it's about her insecurity about her future and her present, and nothing about you. I wouldn't see the abortion as a threat or revenge, I'd see it as her being terrified of having a child, especially with someone she's not sure cares about her (maybe unsure how she feels about you as well), could potentially (again don't take it personally) be playing her, someone that will always be in her life if she does this. What she needs is to have some slack cut to her even though it seems so ludicrous to do so . She's going to pull and say all sorts of bizarre stuff for the next few months. I mean really bizarre thoughts and concerns that will seem huge to her, compounded by her age, and the situation. Welcome to pregnancy, though I assure you there are some wonderful trade offs to balance it out, especially when the baby arrives.

This is EXACTLY what I meant when I asked "what's with the deception?" (thanks for elaborating :))

Hate to say it, but you sound like a bit of a selfish jerk. You've taken the moral highground against abortion, which is fine, yet you don't seem to have considered what she's going through at all. It doesn't sound as though you've really thought through this very well, even after a couple of days.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Disco Stu said:
The only thing worse than this being an absolute joke would be this being something that is actually happening between two human beings.

My god yes. Nice for my infotainment, but a horrid answer to my question about how certain people keep breeding.

Azala

ScientificNinja said:
Hate to say it, but you sound like a bit of a selfish jerk. You've taken the moral highground against abortion, which is fine, yet you don't seem to have considered what she's going through at all. It doesn't sound as though you've really thought through this very well, even after a couple of days.

In his defense, men aren't exactly well known for their ability to think straight for some matter of time after a bomb like this has been dropped (understandably so).

The first thing that needs to be resolved is: Is she actually pregnant? Go to a doctor appointment with her, have the pregnancy confirmed, get a conception date and due date (realize there is a 3-7 day error on conception date at this point, even if they use ultrasound, much larger if they simply use last menstrual period) and a much larger error of 3-6 weeks on due date. Then agree to take some time thinking over the possibilities (and abortion doesn't have to be one, it wouldn't be for me) before anything is actually decided.

If you're really feeling serious about it, you might set up a few counseling sessions together, with someone unbiased (not planned parenthood) who can help you both make sense of this while NOT pushing their thoughts on you.

Koshiro

SSGMUN10000 said:
Oh shit, she considers abortion ok? You're fucked.

And deservedly so.

seems like she has already made up her mind. You gotta sit down and talk with her.

I still cant believe a 27 year old can get himself into a mess like this.

Cimarron

Dude that was kinda lame for you to try to lay a trap for her.... on the other hand WTF is your potential baby momma doing on a single chat line in the first place. Its obvious to me that this ain't true love for either of you. Your in a suck ass situation. Keep your penis in your pants next time. Just sit back and try to enjoy the ride! Your life has been been hijacked for better or for worse and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it. Support her and try to be there for her but temper it with common sense..... its obviously that you don't know her well enough to know if she is trustworthy. If you she has the child be a man and be a father. (but also get that damn DNA test. Remember the link I posted she doesn't have to know! :D ) But if for some weird twist of luck er... fate that the pregnancy doesn't come to full term.... This is what I think should become of the relationship......

"End it... NOW!" /voice of the dude in the beginnning of Blood Omen: LOK

P.S.
Tazzum made some good points listen to her. She plays for the other team!

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Well actually after showing her true self to me I possibly would consider an abortion. I wouldnt want my baby to grow up in this type of environment. It hurts for me to say that but thats how Im starting to feel. Yeah I can cut her some slack but if the roles were reversed I would have been burned at the stake.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
She's pregnant and scared. She sounds less sure than you are of her predicament and the solution. The father of her child was talking to girls on a singles line, which can be scary as well

I wasnt the one on the chat line she was. Unless Im reading what you are trying to say wrong.

Azala

SSGMUN10000 said:
I wasnt the one on the chat line she was. Unless Im reading what you are trying to say wrong.

No you read me correct. She was on the chat line as well, but was she doing the same thing you were? Was she perhaps simply chatting with her friend, to a guy her friend liked? Girls do that you know. Maybe she was there to provide second opinions to her friend, or moral support. What are the specifics? Since she told you she had a boyfriend it doesn't sound like she was on there to meet men. So what's the real deal behind her being there? I'd get to the bottom of things first. Calm down. She's 19, young, scared, and still a bit immature, and what she does at a time like this is not necessarily representative of who she is and what sort of mother she'd be. She's about to do a whole lot of growing up. You were doing a very good job of handling this well, don't slip now. Keep talking to her, really talking.

SSGMUN10000 said:
Well actually after showing her true self to me I possibly would consider an abortion. I wouldnt want my baby to grow up in this type of environment. It hurts for me to say that but thats how Im starting to feel. Yeah I can cut her some slack but if the roles were reversed I would have been burned at the stake.

Hey, to her the roles *are* reversed, and that might be why she's acting so irrational. It's a misunderstanding, and this is exactly how they get messy. Neither of you were in fine form on this one. And neither is this incident something you should be using to re-evaluate your own stance on abortion. You're just angry, mad, and hurt and you're saying things you don't mean. Surprise, so is she.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Keep talking to her, really talking.

I really tried that last night but her cousin was there feeding her bs. It just seems like whatever I say is going to bounce off her head. I know I have to keep trying though.

SSGMUN10000 said:
I really tried that last night but her cousin was there feeding her bs. It just seems like whatever I say is going to bounce off her head. I know I have to keep trying though.

I can only assume that you're talking on the phone (otherwise you're being terribly vague on the details). What the hell are you talking about this over the TELEPHONE for???

Talk in person. On a couch or at a dining table or something. Just you and her. Nobody else. Be up front, open and understanding. Tell her what it is that you want, and what you're afraid of. Let her tell you what it is that she wants and what she's afraid of. Use this information to find a solution that is acceptable to both of you. Then stick to it, and let nobody else judge you for it. Christ - you're 27 years old, you should know better.

Azala

SSGMUN10000 said:

Again I have to second Ninja on this. Second, one attempt, much less one right then, was probably not sufficient. Required to try, but don't hope too hard for success. She needed time to calm down, and you need to get her away from her cousin for it. She's probably trying to sabotage things. Based on what I've heard of her she's not the best influence, and needs to be taken out of this mix. It doesn't involve her.

Can you send/bring her flowers or do something equally sweet? Can you two go somewhere quiet and alone and have a nice evening out, and discuss things then? You're right, don't give up. In my experience people give up on things far too easily. The stakes are very high here. Even if you two are not meant to be together, you need to find a way to communicate and get along for your child's sake. Over the years you will have a lot you need to discuss and agree on, so setting the foundation for good communication now is important.

cvxfreak

JackFrost2012 said:
This thread should be published in high school Health textbooks as a defining argument for vigilant use of birth control.

High school classes are a huge waste of time and money.

marko

Azala said:
She's probably trying to sabotage things.

Yes, you'd be amazed how having a baby changes relationships (well when you are unmarried and 19). Good friends disappear, family members can be really unsupportive (like it appears in this situation). Then when you finally have the baby, she will be a young parent, and difficult to make friends since most parents are 5+years older.

It can be very tough being a young mom.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Update:

She hasnt called me since our last argument on Sunday. Its driving me pretty crazy. I called her cousin and she told me she no longer with her. I know its not my responsibility to track her down. If she is indeed pregnant by me she should have called by now until then im going to think she is either not pregnant or its not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom