• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WP: Surgeon convo recorded during woman's operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
This surgeon was not playing Russian roulette with this patient.

No shit Sherlock. Did you even read the post I replied to or did you just make a knee jerk response?

According to the poster in question only outcomes matter, so he essentially wouldn't care if a doctor played Russian roulette with him if the outcome was him not dying.

My position is that exposing you to a 1 in 6 chance of dying unbeknownst to you is a pretty big fucking deal, whether you actually end up dying or not.

The penicillin thing is over blown though. That is very common in operations because penicillin is more effective at treating infections than most of the alternatives and many allergies are just that, swelling and itching, which is bothersome but not as dire as a truly life threatening reaction.

Edit: I'm not a doctor, don't know the differences between one antibiotic and a other, but I've heard this is common.

GYODX

Joking about sexual assaulting someone is not a joke but whatever like I said before People can always find ways to excuse behavior they deem to be morally acceptable to them. So keep making those excuses.

Its in the article that was posted I did not go looking for it obviously the people at the Washington post thought it was similar enough to put a link to that case for the article in this case.

I will. Otherwise decent people sometimes make awful, distasteful jokes. It happens. You don't have to like it or tolerate it. I won't argue that people should be allowed to say whatever they want without expectation of consequences, or that rape jokes aren't morally reprehensible. But there is zero benefit to concluding somebody is an overall shit person for making a morally reprehensible joke. It may seem inconceivable from your ivory tower, but otherwise decent people will sometimes joke about morally reprehensible things. It happens. Black humor is a thing.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that the surgeon in question is most likely an overall okay person (as most human beings are), if that's okay with you.

Agree that the ancef thing is no big deal. I've been at hospitals where it's been routine to give ancef with a pcn allergy, and I've seen some anesthesiologist balk at giving it. My preference is to give it if the pcn allergy is just a rash or hives. If anesthesia doesn't like it, then I go with clinda. Like others have pointed out, most of these pcn allergies are bullshit.

I think there's gonna have to be a change in culture at some point, but shit talking in the OR is just so entrenched. When I think about it, I do say a whole bunch of stuff that would be taken out of context. I've certainly gotten into the habit of calling some of my patients idiots, but I honestly think I'd be a worse surgeon if I had to think about everything I said when I operated.

I operated on three drug addicts in a row last week coincidentally. When the third one was asleep, the nurse asked me why all my patients were drug addicts, and I joked that I prescribe a lot of narcotics. Out of line? I don't think so, but I'm sure someone would take offense. Anyway, all three did incredibly stupid things to injure themselves and I'm sure I called all three idiots at some point during their surgeries. I'd call myself an idiot if I had done the same thing. One (morbidly obese) guy jumped off a 20 foot cliff "just because" and broke is foot. One guy thought that "nothing to eat or drink after midnight" meant that sneaking orange juice in the morning was ok and ended up aspirating during the case, turning a 30 minute surgery into a nightmare. Yeah, I definitely called him a moron when anesthesia told me he just vomited a whole bunch of orange juice around an LMA, and his sats started to crash.

One girl fell off a roof, was given a knee immobilizer for a non-operative fracture, then walked around for 3 weeks without it on because no one told her how to use it. And she comes to see me three weeks out with a patella that's horribly misaligned and half healed. Oh, and she's from another state and has no insurance. She just started rehab in my state 2 days ago. So I spent three hours fixing her in the OR, muttering to myself over and over about how fucked she was going to be. Reduced the fracture over and over and over and said out loud that the reduction looks like shit. Tried every technique I'd ever been taught trying to fit all those broken pieces together. Sweated my ass off wearing heavy lead. Called her an idiot over and over for waiting so long, not following directions, and making my life so difficult. Finally got the pieces somewhat in line and said that I was going to accept it even though it wasn't perfect. "The enemy of good is better," I said. Wondered out loud about how the hell was I going to manage her pain because she's in rehab for prescription drug abuse and her rehab center wouldn't let me prescribe her opiates. I remember distinctly saying out loud, "Everything about this case is fucked up." And I'm sure I'd be roasted over the coals if anyone had recorded me. But the thing is, I was 100% focused on fixing this girl as best as I knew how. Me bitching about her was just me venting in an incredibly stressful situation. She's my responsibility and how well she does from this rests solely on my shoulders. I don't think I'd be as focused if I couldn't be myself. Not a big deal for simple routine cases, but then again, I'm not cursing the patient unless things are really going south.

The comments are unfortunate and unnecessary. My wife would have flipped.

Strictly my perspective as it would relate to me since I'm not sensitive: If you keep me alive and the surgery goes well, talk all the shit you want doc. Call me a punk ass gargoyle.

Uhyve

Wonder how many of the people hand waving away the sexual assault jokes would do the same if a paediatric doctor was caught making Michael Jackson jokes.

Seriously, alot of the people in this thread gross me the hell out

Ishan

Wonder how many of the people hand waving away the sexual assault jokes would do the same if a paediatric doctor was caught making Michael Jackson jokes.

Errr the doctor may be an Ass but he did his job. You don't pay doctors to be nice you pay them to save your life . Its not pr. And also go ahead trust this woman's judgement on the prior complaints more than a fully trained doctor as far as what was appropriate MEDICAL treatment . Imo guy was an ass woman was also expecting more than normal treatment prior to the surgery and he made a MEDICAL call . Then he acted like an IDIOT BUT Two wrongs don't make a right .

"...we reminded the OR staff and physicians to be mindful of their comments at all times"

It sucks that this is the only reason why some aren't outwardly bigoted because of others' reactions rather than realising their beliefs are not nice in the first place.

The comments are unfortunate and unnecessary. My wife would have flipped.

Strictly my perspective as it would relate to me since I'm not sensitive: If you keep me alive and the surgery goes well, talk all the shit you want doc. Call me a punk ass gargoyle.

Could it be you're not sensitive is because you're not harassed frequently like a woman, so you don't mind a little?

singhr1

I guess the image of medical professionals as caring and compassionate is outdated. Have to rebrand them as dark, stressed out yet mechanically competent sociopaths with expensive degrees

Na, that's just surgeons :)

For real though, you'll find a variety of people in the medical field. Just like the rest of the Human population, some of them are great and some of them are jerks.

We also have to adapt to the patient we are treating. Some like the guy who just gets shit done while others want someone they can talk to

Na, that's just surgeons :)

For real though, you'll find a variety of people in the medical field. Just like the rest of the Human population, some of them are great and some of them are jerks.

We also have to adapt to the patient we are treating. Some like the guy who just gets shit done while others want someone they can talk to

I mean it makes sense for surgeons to be a bit emotionless, to dampen down the emotional response to a painful situation (emotion regulation at anterior insular cortex) so they can continue working instead of freaking out :p

If I'm unconscious, why should I care what jokes the surgeons make to each other, as long as they don't actually, y'know, do the criminal thing being joked about? Simply uttering it aloud doesn't actually do anything or have any real meaning.

People who think it's necessary to police people for private jokes made in a stressful situation "gross me the hell out" far more than the people making said jokes. Unless there is some evidence that those jokes do some kind of harm just by existing, then I don't see why others' discomfort at them weeks or months after they've receded into the past without having done anything is of any consequence whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom