• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wreck-It Ralph first pics (Disney movie based on video games)

Lijik

I've actually always felt that if he dropped the wubwub stuff Skrillex would be a great game composer. His remix of Love in Motion is outta sight (aside from the wubwub drop in the middle)

boi

Neo Member
Couldn't they strike a deal with Microsoft/Activision for Halo/Call of Duty instead of Hero's Duty? Would be awesome but very difficult to position on-screen I admit.

JazzmanZ

Because the movie is not Wreck-it ralph and the videogame references and cameos.

They have to create their own things along with some of the cameos too.
Sugar rush is a expy of Mario kart like games, Wreck-it ralph is straight up Donkey kong inspired.

Hero's Duty is basically a expy of every modern FPS.

boi

Neo Member
Because the movie is not Wreck-it ralph and the videogame references and cameos.

They have to create their own things along with some of the cameos too.
Sugar rush is a expy of Mario kart like games, Wreck-it ralph is straight up Donkey kong inspired.

Hero's Duty is basically a expy of every modern FPS.

I understand but now it's some mixture of representatives from existing games and fake games in one film, while this is an opportunity to bring the greatest from all corners of the gaming industry together.

Lijik

Couldn't they strike a deal with Microsoft/Activision for Halo/Call of Duty instead of Hero's Duty? Would be awesome but very difficult to position on-screen I admit.

Im going to assume that they need to come up with their own games so they can bend them to fit whatever plot they've come up with. Theres no space bugs (or whatever Ralph is being attacked by in the trailer) in Call of Duty for example.

Game Guru

Im going to assume that they need to come up with their own games so they can bend them to fit whatever plot they've come up with. Theres no space bugs (or whatever Ralph is being attacked by in the trailer) in Call of Duty for example.

Besides, for all we know, Master Chief could have a cameo. For FPS games, he does have an iconic design compared to drawing from Call of Duty, which is a generic modern military setting.

The thing is that Disney likely preferred to use original characters fitting video game archetypes for the main cast of the story, much like Woody and Buzz were the main cast of the first Toy Story and were original characters fitting toy archetypes. It's also like Roger Rabbit being one of the main cast of his movie but also being an original creation fitting a cartoon archetype.

Sgt. Calhoun is part of the main cast and was supposed to be from a modern game, so they designed her and her setting around what was common for video games right now. Thus Hero's Duty is drawing from the archetype of the dudebro shooter, much like Fix-It Felix Jr. is drawing from the archetype of the 1980s platformer and Sugar Rush is drawing from the archetype of the Kart Racer... I assume any sequel with more main characters from different games would also be original creations drawing from other video game archetypes.

Lijik

Besides, for all we know, Master Chief could have a cameo. For FPS games, he does have an iconic design compared to drawing from Call of Duty, which is a generic modern military setting.

The thing is that Disney likely preferred to use original characters fitting video game archetypes for the main cast of the story, much like Woody and Buzz were the main cast of the first Toy Story and were original characters fitting toy archetypes. It's also like Roger Rabbit being one of the main cast of his movie but also being an original creation fitting a cartoon archetype.

Yeah. Im sure if this was the 80s our discussion would be "Why aren't they using Betty Boop instead of this new Jessica Rabbit character?"

If the subtext of the movie ends up that modern games are fun-free chores desperately to be taken as seriously as Michael bay is, where games of the past were about fun and whimsy, it's unlikely anyone wants to have their game up there as shitty generic shooter 7, even though we all know what games that represents.

It's also a lot harder and less lucrative to merchandise characters and settings you don't own, which for Disney is at least as significant a reason as the creative one.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
PRESS RELEASE: Full WRECK-IT RALPH Voice Cast/Characters Announced

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=64144#Bs5qWmW5lqlOWUxz.99

Alan Tudyk (ABC’s “Suburgatory,” “Dodgeball”) as King Candy, ruler of Sugar Rush, a candy-coated cart racing game

Ed O’Neill (ABC’s “Modern Family”) as Mr. Litwak, owner of Litwak’s Family Fun Center & Arcade

Mindy Kaling (“The Mindy Project,” “The Office”) as Taffyta Muttonfudge, an accomplished racer and Vanellope’s nemesis

Adam Carolla (“The Adam Carolla Show”) as Wynchel, Sugar Rush security

Horatio Sanz (“Saturday Night Live”) as Duncan, Sugar Rush security

Dennis Haysbert (CBS’s “The Unit,” “24”) as General from the first-person shooter game, Hero’s Duty

Edie McClurg (“Ferris Bueller's Day Off,” TV’s “The Life & Times of Tim,” “Planes, Trains & Automobiles”) – as Mary, a Nicelander who lives within the game Fix-It Felix, Jr.

Roger Craig Smith (Captain Marvel from TV’s “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” Ezio from game franchise “Assassin’s Creed”) as Sonic the Hedgehog

Gerald C Rivers (video game "Street Fighter" series) as M. Bison

Rachael Harris (“The Hangover,” TV’s “New Girl”) as Deanna, a Nicelander who lives within the game Fix-It Felix, Jr.

Stefanie Scott (Disney Channel’s “A.N.T. Farm”) as Moppet Girl, a young arcade enthusiast who visits Litwak’s arcade

Reuben Langdon (multiple “Street Fighter” video games) as Ken from Street Fighter

Kyle Hebert (multiple “Street Fighter” video games, TV’s “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes”) as Ryu from Street Fighter

FinKL

Okay, I laughed at the "will NPC in FPS for food" sign.

lol'd as well, what a good nod to the hardcore gamers.

Also

"Roger Craig Smith (Captain Marvel from TV’s “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” Ezio from game franchise “Assassin’s Creed”) as Sonic the Hedgehog"

Got confused reading this, the Ezio VA is VAing Sonic in this lol

Also

"Roger Craig Smith (Captain Marvel from TV’s “The Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes,” Ezio from game franchise “Assassin’s Creed”) as Sonic the Hedgehog"

And has been for quite some time now, it's just that the last few Sonic games weren't even worth buying/playing. I still don't know what Chris Redfield Sonic sounds like.

Gartooth

So off the top of my head, for cameos we have:

Bowser
Q-Bert
Clyde the Ghost
Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li
Zangief
M. Bison
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dr. Robotnik

It's not too bad, but I wish that we would get more cameos on the Nintendo side (Mario & Luigi being the big absences, hopefully DK shows up due to the influence of his arcade game)

Also way too many Street Fighter characters, I love the series (see avatar) but five characters? (Capcpom probably wanted the movie to be filled to the brim with them to promote Street Fighter games such as SFxT...still really disappointed that Dr. Wily isn't showing up)

Game Guru

So off the top of my head, for cameos we have:

Bowser
Q-Bert
Clyde the Ghost
Ryu
Ken
Chun-Li
Zangief
M. Bison
Sonic the Hedgehog
Dr. Robotnik

We've got...
Bowser
Sonic
Dr. Eggman
The Pac-Man Ghosts (Clyde has his speaking role, Blinky, Pinky, and Inky show up in the background, and I think I spotted Spunky, the grey ghost from Pac-Mania)
A zombie from House of the Dead
Neff, the final boss of Altered Beast
A character from Cyborg Justice
A significant portion of the cast of Super Street Fighter II Turbo (Ryu, Ken, M. Bison, Zangief, Chun-Li, and Cammy)
Kano
Smoke
Paperboy
The hero of Joust
Most of Q*Bert's cast
All of Pong's cast
Frogger, supposedly
References to Burgertime and Dance Dance Revolution

And I'm pretty sure the pants wearing sun in the background is a Data East character.

Rayis

As soon as I saw the trailer for this movie when I watched Brave last week, I knew I could not miss it, more movies like this should be made (sad about Mario and Luigi not showing up, at least we have Bowser and other cool chars)

TheOGB

Banned
Ryu and Ken with speaking roles? I can dig it

Also

Yeah, RCS has been voicing Sonic for almost 2 years now, since Free Riders and Colors

RhfFG.jpg

Oh man, I totally didn't notice the moogle in the back until just now (between the two archways)! If the cameos are gonna be that tiny, I'm gonna have to watch this movie a million times to see them all... but really, I cannot wait for this movie to come out <3

Vidiot

I'm telling you guys, in the clip that had Sonic from the other day I'm 99% sure I saw Tingle and Deku Link in the background.

FyreWulff

Makes sense. A movie that references video games, which is historically viewed as having electronic-sounding music, has the soundtrack composed by someone experienced with electronic sound music. And as pointed out, it's going to sound like soundtrack, not dance club beats.

As an example: this was written and composed by U2. Bands/artists don't always just copy/paste their style over to their movie soundtrack work.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Proof or you didnt see it.

Sonic has an event once ever year during the summer in Europe and America. In Europe the event is called Summer of Sonic, in America it's called Sonic Boom. This is an event for fans and while very dorky, has actually proven to be fairly popular. Sonic Boom happened last week and during the event, they announced Wreck-It Ralph as a playable character in Sonic & All-Stars Racing. with this, they also showed an exclusive clip of Wreck-It Ralph, a part where Sonic is in the movie. You can see a cam-corded recording of that clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDXCf_gOkMM

EDIT: Oh, if you mean about Deku or Tingle then I'm not certain. The quality is too crappy here, you'd probably would have to see the clip yourself clearly to tell.

DOUBLE EDIT: ACTUALLY now that I'm looking, I DO think I can see Deku Link. o_O At 1:27 in the video I just posted. It looks like it's only a cameo though. He's walking to the right of the screen (when Ralph hands Q*bert a cherry).

Zzoram

Movie looks great, will definitely watch. Too bad there is no way we will get a video game out of this featuring dozens of characters from different IPs.

Shiggy

Sonic has an event once ever year during the summer in Europe and America. In Europe the event is called Summer of Sonic, in America it's called Sonic Boom. This is an event for fans and while very dorky, has actually proven to be fairly popular. Sonic Boom happened last week and during the event, they announced Wreck-It Ralph as a playable character in Sonic & All-Stars Racing. with this, they also showed an exclusive clip of Wreck-It Ralph, a part where Sonic is in the movie. You can see a cam-corded recording of that clip here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDXCf_gOkMM

EDIT: Oh, if you mean about Deku or Tingle then I'm not certain. The quality is too crappy here, you'd probably would have to see the clip yourself clearly to tell.

DOUBLE EDIT: ACTUALLY now that I'm looking, I DO think I can see Deku Link. o_O At 1:27 in the video I just posted. It looks like it's only a cameo though. He's walking to the right of the screen (when Ralph hands Q*bert a cherry).

Deku_link_in_wreck_it_ralph.png

Katzii

So... What's the difference between the two versions of the book? I looked at both of the Book Depository entries and, asides from the covers, there doesn't seem to be anything that warrants the £11 difference.

in motion it really does look like Deku Link.

Top Bottom