• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Write a novel in November! NaNoWriMo 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyan

Banned
My fellow GAFers! Have you dreamed of writing a novel some day, but somehow never gotten around to it? Do you hate having free time? Then NaNoWriMo may be right for you.

http://www.nanowrimo.org

NaNoWriMo.org said:
What: Writing one 50,000-word novel from scratch in a month's time.

Who: You!

Why: The reasons are endless! To actively participate in one of our era's most enchanting art forms! To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from our novels at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work.

When: Writing begins November 1. To be added to the official list of winners, you must reach the 50,000-word mark by November 30 at midnight.
Write a 50,000 word (175 page) novel in a month? Yes it's insane, but that's the point. Write like hell, shut down your internal editor (that can come later), and just get it done.

NaNoWriMo.org said:
Because of the limited writing window, the ONLY thing that matters in NaNoWriMo is output. It's all about quantity, not quality. The kamikaze approach forces you to lower your expectations, take risks, and write on the fly.

Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing. By forcing yourself to write so intensely, you are giving yourself permission to make mistakes. To forgo the endless tweaking and editing and just create. To build without tearing down.
We've got almost a whole month ahead, plenty of time to start outlining or worldbuilding or just thinking really hard while staring at the wall!

We had 108 GAF participants and 50 winners last year. Let's see if we can beat that this year!

I will keep the next post updated with participants and their word counts.

FAQ:
How do I write 50k words?
One at a time. Seriously though, if you can keep up with the benchmark (1,667 a day) you're golden. If you can't, don't panic, just set aside a weekend day or days to play catchup. Or end the month with a manic spree of 10k days. Whatever works for you!

Any other strategies?
If you can, aim for 2000 a day rather than just keeping pace with the benchmark. This leaves you the elbow room for a few bad days later on in the month, which is a huge help for the week 2-3 doldrums. Also, try joining sprints and word wars on the NaNo forums or by following @NaNoWordSprints on the twitters.

How do I update my word count?
NaNoBot reads through the thread and pulls out your wordcounts. Any time you want your wordcount updated, please make a post with the wordcount on a line by itself, using the following format: "WC: [your wordcount]" Commas are fine, including a space or not is fine. Periods used as decimals are not.

Will work:
"WC: 5000" "wc:5,000" "wc:5k."

Will not work:
"WC: 5000 and 1000 more later" "WC:5.0k" "wc:1000 more than yesterday"

I still have to manually edit the leaderboard post, so those updates will happen as time allows. (Working on coding something so it automatically edits the leaderboard post as well, but not there yet.)

Is there any reason to actually sign up on the site itself?
Yes! First of all, you can have your novel officially validated by the site (copy/paste from your word processor into their word counter). This lets you officially win, and gets you congratulations and all sorts of fame and glory. Second, by signing up, you will get "pep talk" emails each week from famous authors. This year, that list includes Alaya Dawn Johnson, Daniel José Older, and Maggie Stiefvater.

Does my story have to be an original work of genius?
No. It's whatever you want to write. Literary? Go for it. Genre fiction? Go for it. Erotic fanfic? Fuck yea, go for it.

Can I/Do I have to share a synopsis or excerpts?
We'd love to see some of your work! While it's not required, please feel free to post excerpts of what you're working on at any time, or plot details, or character stuff, or whatever you want. For excerpts, I've found that brief ones are more likely to be read.

Useful tools:

Hangouts:
Does it help you to have other writers around you, to pressure you to get some work done? Join us for the GAF NaNo hangouts! These will happen every Saturday and Sunday during NaNo, from 2-4 PM Pacific time.

Hangouts will take place on Google Hangouts maybe on Google, maybe on other places. We might try a couple of different ones. The format is ten minutes of chat, then thirty minutes of writing with mics muted, repeated until we've gone for two hours. Webcams aren't required, though several of us will have them. Mics are recommended but also not required, as you can use the text chat. (I'm also looking into alternatives as Google Hangouts has been getting worse. Let me know if you have suggestions!)

I will post reminders about the hangouts, and will post the above info plus a link half an hour before each hangout.

Software:
Scrivener: a word processor that incorporates scene and character notes, outlines, research documents, and more. You can get a free trial, generally through December 7th, for NaNo. (And a discount on the full version if you win!)
Q10: an alternative word processor which removes all distractions, helping you focus on your work.
Write or Die: start writing in a text box. And don't stop... or else. Give it a try, very motivating. (also has a newer app version)

Plotting:
No Plot? No Problem: a book by the site's founder, intended as an aid for completing your novel and getting through the month.
How to Outline During NaPloYoNoMo: Chuck Wendig sums up a bunch of different outlining methods.
Snowflake Method: a solid plotting method that helps you get from single-sentence summary to detailed outline. While I no longer use this, I found it extremely helpful in finishing early NaNos. (You don't need the software, the whole method is described in full at the link.)
Adoptions: on the NaNo forums, it's traditional to leave some ideas that other people can pick up and run with. Adopt a plot, adopt a setting, adopt a title, and many more!

Sprints and Wordcounts:
NaNo Sprints: start your engines! Get off to the races with some NaNo sprints, where you compete with other NaNoers to write a bunch of words in a short interval. Also on Twitter.
Backwards NaNo: a slightly different way of managing your word count. It's amortized! That means for the first two weeks, you're writing a lot more than everyone else. But by the last day, you only have to write a single word!

NeoGAF links:
Past NaNo threads
Previous NaNo winners
Short Story Challenge Thread
Writing-GAF community thread

And, of course, this thread! Feel free to post questions here, or show us your awesome excerpts, or just complain about how goddamn hard it is. We're here for you! The camaraderie is part of what makes it fun. :)

Cyan

Banned
Winners:
Code:
Epcott			102,000
plagiarize		91,676
Linkark07		78,132
Hopeford		77,839
Regulus Tera		55,682
Aiustis			54,348
RoyaleDuke		51,700
Aerocrane		51,561
Sch1sm			51,034
Omikaru			50,884
Sonicbug		50,797
Voras			50,796
Ruuppa			50,725
Ward			50,675
Nudull			50,646
grudy			50,569
FlowersisBritish	50,319
Ashes			50,256
Narag			50,218
Cowlick			50,207
meijiko			50,199
Dedication Through Light	50,192
drowsy			50,167
Korigama		50,164
toythatkills		50,162
Song of Fire		50,154
Nezumi			50,154
Timu			50,151
WJD			50,150
Yeef			50,137
Plasticine		50,120
CorporateClown		50,109
Conan-san		50,080
Jabronium		50,070
javadoze		50,069
Larpington		50,068
YesNOnoNOYes		50,054
MilkBeard		50,049
Alcoremortis		50,036
DumbNameD		50,035
bakemono		50,031
Kalor			50,031
Cyan			50,021
Cade			50,016
GSR			50,004
Leaderboard:
Code:
Musha_Soturi		37,060
Novel Mike		31,588
zulux21			29,187
Brerlappin		28,500
Puck Beaverton		27,524
dramatis		26,599
SmarterUnconscious	25,179
kevin1025		24,156
Screaming Meat		23,933
roknin			23,781
Petit Melon		23,706
Princess Viola		23,528
tiggerkiddo		23,375
slenderfox		22,135
William			20,346
pitcairn55		18,079
Unicorn			17,602
Shaffield		17,516
Speely			15,738
Evilisk			14,227
The Shadow		14,141
Dandy Crocodile		13,377
Hop			12,996
Skilletor		12,052
Delio			11,382
Kalentan		10,746
Saturday		10,277
H.Protagonist		10,061
Dec			10,014
killer rin		9,667
The Scollard		9,455
Killua			9,378
MLCodest		9,178
Karu			8,556
Schlocky		8,403
micster			8,341
Cepheus			8,128
Dolla Dolla		7,962
Master Milk		7,616
weemadarthur		7,500
xeris			7,345
Carlisle		6,419
dangerbyrnes		6,258
DopeToast		6,241
Beaniedude		6,000
CyclopsRock		5,900
Catvoca			5,722
Sawneeks		5,356
JC Lately		5,177
FireBeaver		5,022
Burbeting		4,855
Wanace			4,287
Valerie Cherish		3,706
Kimaka			3,616
Eumi			3,519
Santiako		3,487
irriadin		3,408
SomTervo		3,400
Candeldandel		3,384
MistaBowaa		3,335
BlazingDarkness		3,320
Heartfyre		3,145
Akiraptor		3,134
hampig			2,990
Bagu			2,909
AlteredBeast		2,861
RedBoot			2,500
JonnyDBrit		2,329
Pickman			2,154
Frobert			2,067
Robin64			1,872
Juneau Joe		1,846
Evil Monkey DTT		1,757
SeasickSteve		1,716
Alur			1,688
daebo			1,687
Wolvers			1,630
Lemaitre		1,471
Captain Rage Quit 69	1,385
Ourobolus		1,344
¡HarlequinPanic!	1,337
Chiggs			1,281
besada			1,200
CertifiedFP		1,059
melonrabbit		1,058
Sloane			1,000
fep			923
ThoseDeafMutes		576
TheGreatDirector	541
jkanownik		532
Soulstar		469
FuturusX		458
Fine Ham Abounds	300
Like the hat?		267
Verdre			253
Blargonaut		233
Blasian Persuasion	0
Hispanic! At the Disco	0
pelicansurf		0
Ventara			0
Vincent Grayson		0
trinest			0
midramble		0
SamuelSupreme		0
Sparse			0
Nocturnowl		0
Prototype Viktor	0
Jintor			0
TwntyOneTwlv		0
reelbigtink		0
Crimson_Justice		0
petethepanda		0
JasonMCG		0
Bennettt2		0
StillEdge		0
Freeza Under The Shower	0
thelastcrusader		0
HP_Wuvcraft		0
ezekial45		0
smisk			0
RAWi			0
MHWilliams		0
ZeroRay			0
Guevara			0
Max Armstrong		0
Lois_Lane		0
Wurst			0
Alastor3		0
Moonkid			0
smokeandmirrors		0
Anfony O		0
exYle			0
TheChaos0		0
Crayon			0
Regiruler		0
ant_			0
Corronchilejano		0
dreamcast210		0
jshackles		0
Ogodei			0
Afrocious		0
Auctopus		0
Beartruck		0
Funyarinpa		0
magwizsorc		0
Larson Conway		0
Elandyll		0
Damerman		0
MikeDip			0
Mystic Theurge		0
Maxios			0
Scirrocco		0
cool_trainer		0
bengraven		0
Necromanti		0
GTP_Daverytimes		0
kinoki			0
FleckSplat		0
ArgyleReptile		0
Vagabundo		0
toddhunter		0
batbeg			0
gryvan			0
Krowley			0
hunchback		0
Neeener			0
Juicy Bob		0
BuddyJoeHooker		0
RecRoulette		0
Briarios		0
creatchee		0
Hackworth		0
Trance			0
ryseing			0
Phillip E.		0
kamakazi5		0
forms			0
[b][u]Benchmark[/u][/b]		0
fredrancour		0
Fou-Lu			0
Weiss			0
stenbumling		0
Coppanuva		0
SixMachine		0
Sibersk Esto		0
(People in red have completed NaNoWriMo previously. The benchmark for completing 50k in 30 days is bolded.)

Regiruler

I should do this, I have had ideas for a wheel of time sequel and all the plot threads should easily get it bulky enough.

Moonkid

Did it for the first time last year and managed to succeed :D I don't think I'll be doing a novel this time around though, gonna rebel and do a script.

Nezumi

Ahh, time to commit to my yearly promise that this year, finally, my 50000 words will at least slightly resemble a novel.

HORRORSHØW;219635363 said:
It was fun last year. No laptop this year; ain't writing a book on my phone. Good luck all.

I almost exclusively hand wrote the first couple of years! I still do a lot of hand writing due to sneaking writing in at work.

I think I remember the author of the shit show that was 50 Shades of Gray also wrote the series on her phone LOL

Added you back!

bengraven

Oh Nano, you fucking whore. You appear when I'm not expecting you to, every single year.

Still have a half finished novel sitting around from last year.

Which was the second draft from the year before.

Which was a complete re-write of the year before.

Three damn years I've been trying to write this western fantasy novel. I've spent four years developing it and I love the characters and know them like i know my own family, but it just can't get finished. I have so much fun in this world I literally cannot come up with a compelling enemy or endgame without it being a rehash or smoking gun.

So this year I'll try something different. Maybe the "19th century city trapped in Lovecraftian primordial world" idea. Or the "third world America in the future with mechs" idea. I don't know.

Maybe I'll just write a nice love story.

Or a horror story in the vein of Stephen King, only set in my own little midwest town. Maybe my "Mayberry with vampires" idea.

I guess this means I'm in.

Oh god dammit, already? I stopped at 25k last year, it was a good test for me, I always wanted to write and never had a real motivation for it. I'll try again this year, but unlike last time I have a job now, so hopefully this will make me write faster because I was slow as hell. I've also read about 40 books since then, this will probably help me since at that time last year I had read about 5 books in my whole life and had no idea what the fuck I was doing, the structure and pacing was all weird, characters and dialogue sucked. It will probably be the same thing this year, but now I know what I like and what I don't.

Burbeting

Banned
I'll try to participate this year again, last year was pretty fun (although breaking 50k so quickly burned me out for the rest of the month).

Wurst

It's on again already :( I hate (and love) when you put up a thread.

I'm dead set on participating and finishing this year!! Let's do this!

Thanks for setting this up every year, Cyan!

Burbeting

Banned
I have the world, main protagonists and rough plot outline thought out. But that might be easily tossed aside, last year I came up with idea for the story just two days before nano began, lol.

StillEdge

This seems very interesting. posting to keep updated. Don't think this is how I want to attempt to write my first novel, but maybe.

xeris

Going to be a busy November for me, but I'm in again. Maybe this time I'll actually plan out whatever I'm going to write first.

wooooooooooo it.... it's happening (again) \o/

i donno yet if i will participate because i haven't done any planning .___.

who am i kidding! put me in, cyan! :D

Evilisk

Yeah I'm doing this again

I actually wasn't sure I would be a couple of weeks ago (mainly because I still haven't done anything with the past few NNWM's I've completed :/)

This always sneaks up on me every year. I still have to finish editing my first novel and really don't want to move on to the sequel until the first one is edited. But having two books to edit might give me the strength to finish the first one.

I suppose I could use November to just finish editing but it's much harder to measure progress that way.

Damnit. Decisions, decisions. Leaning towards going right at a sequel. Gonna have to start on that chapter outline soon.

Not sure if I'll even start a new novel, may just keep working on the story I got right now and just do 50k words next month but however it gets done.

Heh oddly enough I going to try and do this next year but through writing everyday of the year piecemeal as I can't trust myself to do anything long form with massive tangents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom