• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writing-GAF: Writing, Publishing, Selling |OT|

only been a bit over two weeks, but the wait to hear back from this publishing house is driving me crazy. Gotta wait at least six weeks before I can inquire.

JaseMath

So does anyone want to take a look at a couple things I'm writing? One I am definitely going to try to publish somewhere, somehow, maybe digital, the other has too much legal work and it started as a concept I already had that I morphed into a Lovecraft/Stephen King/Clive Barker tribute. The music lyrics are the main headache if I were to ever try to publish it and obviously certain direct and indirect references to places/people/things from King's works.

EDIT: That said the original idea, concept, character were already in place I just decided to amp up certain elements to mimick, and reference from my favorite King/Barker/Lovecraft stories. Initially, it was a reinterpretation of those authors styles into a classic haunted house story. This idea still remains at the core. Honestly I could probably strip out a lot of the music and direct references, and rewrite it enough to publish.

One is pretty far along and I've yet to decide how many chapters it will be but I am trying to conform to the table of contents I laid out beforehand as well as writing notes.
How many words?

JaseMath

The Tartarus Syndrome, my science fiction novel which I intend to publish is around 45kish words maybe a little more.

The other story, Picture Perfect is around 4500 words.

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Picture Perfect and giving some early feedback.

Grudy

I find it impossible to write in my notebook at home, I'm too distracted by my computer and can never focus on one thing. Most of my writing is done at work during downtime/breaks or on weekend mornings where I stop by a local coffee house for a few hours. I miss writing in my college classes.
e5YuU.gif

PM'd some feedback. Hope it's helpful.

Thanks again Jason, really appreciate it.

Your feedback is interesting, and it adds to some of the feedback I already have.(which ranges from critical like you, to praise with aplomb).

It is interesting feeling to finally getting some feedback, when all I had before was my internal meter, which unfortunately makes me think everything I write is trash.

JaseMath

Thanks again Jason, really appreciate it.

Your feedback is interesting, and it adds to some of the feedback I already have.(which ranges from critical like you, to praise with aplomb).

It is interesting feeling to finally getting some feedback, when all I had before was my internal meter, which unfortunately makes me think everything I write is trash.

Your writing is definitely not trash. Some parts need work, but everyone who writes has parts that need work. And some of your wordplay is pretty clever to boot. Keep going!

EDIT: And yes, I am critical. Sorry. :( I'm a designer by trade and have learned that in the creative space, critical feedback is absolutely key to growth. I've developed a thick skin, but forget that others don't have it and sometimes come across as a dick.

Your writing is definitely not trash. Some parts need work, but everyone who writes has parts that need work. And some of your wordplay is pretty clever to boot. Keep going!

EDIT: And yes, I am critical. Sorry. :( I'm a designer by trade and have learned that in the creative space, critical feedback is absolutely key to growth. I've developed a thick skin, but forget that others don't have it and sometimes come across as a dick.

Dude an apology is totally unnecessary I took no offense. :)

I told my mom about the feedback and she got all paranoid about me posting things.

"With our luck someone will steal your ideas!"

Now that my ban's been lifted, I thought I'd give an update on my indie-publishing career. Can't believe it's been close to a year since I was last active in this thread. Damn, a lot has changed.

After KU 2.0 hit, I made the decision to abandon erotica in favor of longer, 25k erotica-romance. It was a painful move, but a necessary one. Amazon started cracking down on erotica, and I grew tired of seeing how fast my books fell off in rankings. My longer novellas made up for the hit in KU payouts, but it wasn't until I fully switched to 40-50k novels that I saw a significant increase in earnings.

I still believe that shorter, 20-25k serials is the best way strategy for new authors. It's important to build a mailing list, and short books released quickly and consistently is a great way to attract fans.

I even ventured into urban-fantasy, and I can confidently say that it's possible to make a killing in genres outside of romance.

It's been a few months since I broke through the million dollar barrier, and I'm now earning six-figures in royalties every month. My next move is to invest more in advertising, and see if I can make it in science fiction. It's been a wonderful journey, and I'm looking forward to seeing where this takes me.

EDIT: Just wanted to clarify that the purpose of this post isn't to brag, but to show what's possible if you really put in the effort. I'm a terrible writer, but I make up for it with tenacity. I do envy my friends who make twice as much with 1/10th of my output, but we can't all be lucky :p

Where can I find your stuff?

I told my mom about the feedback and she got all paranoid about me posting things.

"With our luck someone will steal your ideas!"
I get this too from my parents when I tell em I'm having someone I know online read my stuff.

"BUT WHAT IF..."

Well mom, the draft they have now is fucking trash so fi they want to pretend publish it, by all means they can be laughed at by anonymous individuals while I fix the story up.

zulux21

In a little under 3 months (11 weeks).
after 3176 words tonight, a 11314 word final chapter written in the last few days.

my 79307 word second arc is complete (for the most part, I actually skipped over a bit of the intro transition from the last arc) after getting 7,209 words done per week on average (though the actual log isn't that steady at all lol)

now I can start working on fixing arc 1 some, though I think I might also push forward on arc 3 as well.

also with my incomplete first arc included my total draft is at 125, 083 words or so which is fun. though 9k of that is something I am basically throwing out as I fix the first arc.

either way it feels good to finally finish an arc.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Well I finished the rough draft of the longest short story I think I've ever written at about 10,000 words. Probably should be more though since I kind of quickly wrote out the ending. Did it in piece meal over a month or so and I think that was a good call. It gave me time to think of new creepy ideas for it I don't think i normally would have. God... I am not looking forward to editing this beast in a week or so...

So I have one of those Grinch level wonderfully awful ideas. I'm just about at 30k in my 2nd book on the other side of the Heart of the World. Another 1k words probably until I hit the point at which I am seriously considering shifting from the first person view I'm in to a 3rd person (following a different character).

This is a book that is clearly in two distinct parts. The setup half, in which the main character gets to where he is right now. And then the solution half, in which a second main character, who has been set a task in the first half, needs to fulfill that task to fix all the shit that gets broken in the first half.

And since I'm now at that breaking point, rather than waiting until I've written the second half and publishing one 60k book, I'm thinking, how about two parts, each 30k, that once the 2nd novella is complete can be mooshed together... and perhaps in the mooshing add in an epilogue that charts the course of the third book.

Hmmm.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

JaseMath

I have one chapter left and I have no idea how to write it. :(

The whole "returning with the elixir" thing is a lot harder than I thought it'd be.

Nudull

Banned
Any of you follow writers or writing channels on Youtube? I recently re-discovered M. Kirin (who I subbed to many moons ago but forgot all about until now), who does writing tips, prompts and vlogs on top of LPs with occasional notes/comments about a game's story and writing. They seem pretty neat, so far.

Aaron

What's the best way to get fresh readers? I have two finished novels I've been dragging my feet on getting out there and published partly because I haven't been able to get new sets of eyes on them. Each is north of 100k words so the people I ask tend to balk at reading one even when I'm only looking for general comments, and not in a rush to get them.

Have finally been able to get a bit of free time to myself and finish the second chapter of book two for the next issue of the magazine, but they're also releasing the new book cover art which just has "Book 2" where the subtitle might go. Would prefer it to be revealed with a proper title, but I'm seriously struggling for inspiration. Anyone want to give it a go?

General idea: (Spoiler tags for spoiler-y things)

- Sequel to Dead Endings
- Involves a young boy with an ability to 'tether' or leash spirits that he drags around like balloons.
- Trying to think of titles that aren't super dark, but contain the themes of being tied, tethered, leashed, death, children, selfishness, etc.
- My editor seems to want at least something mildly puny or not super serious.

Any ideas...?

What's the best way to get fresh readers? I have two finished novels I've been dragging my feet on getting out there and published partly because I haven't been able to get new sets of eyes on them. Each is north of 100k words so the people I ask tend to balk at reading one even when I'm only looking for general comments, and not in a rush to get them.

No friends or family? You might have to join a writer's circle or something and do a bit of bartering (you read theirs, they read yours) if you don't want to spend money for paid feedback. 100k+ is a hefty ask otherwise.

Death Leash?

Sounds like a metal band. :D

We Lead Death By The Neck

Ghost's Float

The Spirit Walker

Better Pets Than Dogs

Death of a Leash Salesman?

Suuuuch better pets than dogs. :) And for "The Spirit Walker," (I'm enjoying the dog walking angle here too) funny enough, it explores more of the world of sensitive and there is a spirit walker among them.

Dead Leads?

Hmmm... Works on a few levels. If they take off the "Dead Endings" and just make the title "Dead Leads" then it still seems in the same series, right? No need for a subtitle. I think it works, anyway. Will suggest this to them. Thanks! :D

JaseMath

I'm 75K into the 1st draft of my first novel. I'm at the last leg of my draft—the last chapter!—but I'm stuck as how to finish. My problem is this:

I've written the climax, but during, a character dies and the news of the death comes as a surprise in the wake of a pretty heavy third act. I've already put my characters through a lot and I really don't want to waste the reader's time reiterating how bad it sucks that this happened.

My question is, what can I do to tell the story of their anguish without bogging down the narrative while moving the story to the end? Any tips?

Thanks!

I JUST WANT TO BE DONE

Have finally been able to get a bit of free time to myself and finish the second chapter of book two for the next issue of the magazine, but they're also releasing the new book cover art which just has "Book 2" where the subtitle might go. Would prefer it to be revealed with a proper title, but I'm seriously struggling for inspiration. Anyone want to give it a go?

General idea: (Spoiler tags for spoiler-y things)

- Sequel to Dead Endings
- Involves a young boy with an ability to 'tether' or leash spirits that he drags around like balloons.
- Trying to think of titles that aren't super dark, but contain the themes of being tied, tethered, leashed, death, children, selfishness, etc.
- My editor seems to want at least something mildly puny or not super serious.

Any ideas...?

No friends or family? You might have to join a writer's circle or something and do a bit of bartering (you read theirs, they read yours) if you don't want to spend money for paid feedback. 100k+ is a hefty ask otherwise.

Dead Bindings - keeps Dead in the title, suggested this is a "Dead" series. Now you'd have Endings and Bindings so you could work from that going forward.

I'm 75K into the 1st draft of my first novel. I'm at the last leg of my draft—the last chapter!—but I'm stuck as how to finish. My problem is this:

I've written the climax, but during, a character dies and the news of the death comes as a surprise in the wake of a pretty heavy third act. I've already put my characters through a lot and I really don't want to waste the reader's time reiterating how bad it sucks that this happened.

My question is, what can I do to tell the story of their anguish without bogging down the narrative while moving the story to the end? Any tips?

Thanks!

I JUST WANT TO BE DONE
I guess it depends on how far away the ending actually is. You could time skip through the funeral/mourning but have the characters still be pretty shooken up over it yet. The wound is still really raw, even if it isn't like, gaping and bleeding.

JaseMath

I guess it depends on how far away the ending actually is. You could time skip through the funeral/mourning but have the characters still be pretty shooken up over it yet. The wound is still really raw, even if it isn't like, gaping and bleeding.

The end is literally the only thing left to write; maybe 2K-3K words. I was thinking the same about skipping past the funeral. I also thought that maybe setting it during the wake would be a good way to get them all in the same environment.

I've been meaning to buy and read Dead Endings. You're quite talented, H. Pro. :)

Thanks, Nudull. ^_^ Cheers if you do, and I'm still waiting on your work, you know. Any progress on that past NaNoWriMo? The Witching Glass (right?)?

Dead Bindings - keeps Dead in the title, suggested this is a "Dead" series. Now you'd have Endings and Bindings so you could work from that going forward.

Also a good idea! I'll send this as well. Keeping the "ings" ties it even more (which I think will really appeal to my editor). Danke, Angmars~

Thanks, Nudull. ^_^ Cheers if you do, and I'm still waiting on your work, you know. Any progress on that past NaNoWriMo? The Witching Glass (right?)?

Also a good idea! I'll send this as well. Keeping the "ings" ties it even more (which I think will really appeal to my editor). Danke, Angmars~
You're welcome, H.Pro. Good luck!

Nudull

Banned

That was one of the proposed story ideas I had in mind, but since then, it's actually evolved into something else entirely that I'm really enjoying and working on, on top of some other ideas I have in mind for this year's NaNo. I'm trying to put in the effort to work on improving my writing and storytelling skills. :)

Hopeford

Glad that there's a writing thread on GAF, hadn't seen this before. Finished the first draft of my novel, so I'm working on the second one right now as I get feedback on this draft. Going to self-publish it once it's done since I think it's not at all likely to be picked up given its length. Don't expect more than 10 or so people to read it, but I'll give it my best shot--I'm pretty happy with how it turned around, just plan on keeping low expectations.

Still can't believe I wrote an entire 250k novel based on a friend daring me to write a novel out of the dumbest concept we could think of haha. Had tons of fun.

Imagine a good 50k of that is gonna get chopped off in my upcoming draft though.

Hmmm... Works on a few levels. If they take off the "Dead Endings" and just make the title "Dead Leads" then it still seems in the same series, right? No need for a subtitle. I think it works, anyway. Will suggest this to them. Thanks! :D
No problem, happy to hear things are rolling along!

Glad that there's a writing thread on GAF, hadn't seen this before. Finished the first draft of my novel, so I'm working on the second one right now as I get feedback on this draft. Going to self-publish it once it's done since I think it's not at all likely to be picked up given its length. Don't expect more than 10 or so people to read it, but I'll give it my best shot--I'm pretty happy with how it turned around, just plan on keeping low expectations.

Still can't believe I wrote an entire 250k novel based on a friend daring me to write a novel out of the dumbest concept we could think of haha. Had tons of fun.

Imagine a good 50k of that is gonna get chopped off in my upcoming draft though.

Tolkien wrote the entire LotR saga as one piece before it was broken into three parts.

Any chance that might work with your book?

Finished my book, right now self-editing.

It's a sci-fi adventure with characters pulled from my real-life friends during my time in the service. Not so much space marines, more like real-life Jarheads in space.

My dilemma

Profanity.

I want this book to be accessible to everyone because I have little cousins, nephews that I'd like to share it with. And to be honest, I want younger readers in general to be able to read it, too. The problem is, in real life, barely a sentence went by without my buddies and I using shit, fuck, ass, damn, and of course...motherfucker.

My question for you all is how do you decide between legitimacy and accessibility?

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Finished my book, right now self-editing.

It's a sci-fi adventure with characters pulled from my real-life friends during my time in the service. Not so much space marines, more like real-life Jarheads in space.

My dilemma

Profanity.

I want this book to be accessible to everyone because I have little cousins, nephews that I'd like to share it with. And to be honest, I want younger readers in general to be able to read it, too. The problem is, in real life, barely a sentence went by without my buddies and I using shit, fuck, ass, damn, and of course...motherfucker.

My question for you all is how do you decide between legitimacy and accessibility?

There was an interview with Jerry Seinfeld that stuck with me as he went on about swearing. He doesn't swear in his sets, and he says the reason for it is that every time he does, it feels more like the audience is laughing at the word than the joke. And so he doesn't swear in his sets. That really stuck with me, and as a result I don't typically use swears in my writing. A pivotal scene where the heroine finally calls out her husband for being a bastard to their children loses impact if she was calling everyone from mailman to dog "bastard." I guess what i'm trying to say is that profanity does not make something more legitimate. I think Bojack is one of the most legitimate comedies/dramas out there and it rarely swears. There are only two times in the whole series so far they used "fuck." If you want your little cousins to read, if the themes are something they can handle and you want them to enjoy, then take out the swears. Or wait for them to get older.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
So, some exciting personal news: I've sold my short story, “The Red-rimmed Eyes of Tóu Mǎ," to Grim Oak Press. It will appear in their anthology, Unfettered II, this November!

All of the proceeds from the anthology will go to cancer research and Speakman's new not-for-profit organization, Grim Oak Shield, which aims to ease and eliminate medical debt among authors and artists. The ToC for the anthology includes some impressive names, including Terry Brooks, Jim Butcher, Naomi Novik, and Brandon Sanderson, so it's surreal to see my name alongside theirs. I'm very excited about the opportunity, though. I wrote the first draft of the story two years ago, so it's been a long time coming.

Some thoughts and details, including a sneak peek at the series of novels and short stories I'm working on: https://medium.com/@adribbleofink/s...rimmed-eyes-of-tóu-mǎ-fc64cad5b23d#.g0dtc8cd2

I also did an interview with the editor/publisher of the anthology, Shawn Speakman, for Tor.com: http://www.tor.com/2016/07/19/sff-against-cancer-shawn-speakman-on-unfettered-ii/

There was an interview with Jerry Seinfeld that stuck with me as he went on about swearing. He doesn't swear in his sets, and he says the reason for it is that every time he does, it feels more like the audience is laughing at the word than the joke. And so he doesn't swear in his sets. That really stuck with me, and as a result I don't typically use swears in my writing. A pivotal scene where the heroine finally calls out her husband for being a bastard to their children loses impact if she was calling everyone from mailman to dog "bastard." I guess what i'm trying to say is that profanity does not make something more legitimate. I think Bojack is one of the most legitimate comedies/dramas out there and it rarely swears. There are only two times in the whole series so far they used "fuck." If you want your little cousins to read, if the themes are something they can handle and you want them to enjoy, then take out the swears. Or wait for them to get older.

Thanks for the advice!

Timu

Nano is coming and I still need to outline the novel...well, it'll be an anthology novel anyways to put less stress on me.

So, some exciting personal news: I've sold my short story, “The Red-rimmed Eyes of Tóu Mǎ," to Grim Oak Press. It will appear in their anthology, Unfettered II, this November!

All of the proceeds from the anthology will go to cancer research and Speakman's new not-for-profit organization, Grim Oak Shield, which aims to ease and eliminate medical debt among authors and artists. The ToC for the anthology includes some impressive names, including Terry Brooks, Jim Butcher, Naomi Novik, and Brandon Sanderson, so it's surreal to see my name alongside theirs. I'm very excited about the opportunity, though. I wrote the first draft of the story two years ago, so it's been a long time coming.

Some thoughts and details, including a sneak peek at the series of novels and short stories I'm working on: https://medium.com/@adribbleofink/s...rimmed-eyes-of-tóu-mǎ-fc64cad5b23d#.g0dtc8cd2

I also did an interview with the editor/publisher of the anthology, Shawn Speakman, for Tor.com: http://www.tor.com/2016/07/19/sff-against-cancer-shawn-speakman-on-unfettered-ii/

Wow, congratulations, man. Hope I some day come close to reaching your mark! Again, congrats!

JaseMath

Nice! Congrats!

Been sending out my query letter and sample chapters for the last few weeks to agents and still nothing. Not even a single form rejection. Man, silence is so cold :(

Profanity.

That's a hard one man. I guess one option is to come up with your own curse words. I've seen that done in scifi, though it's hit or fucking miss, IMO. Some feel like they could be real words and are fun to read/say out loud, but others try too hard.

Hopeford

Tolkien wrote the entire LotR saga as one piece before it was broken into three parts.

Any chance that might work with your book?

Unfortunately no, there's no good cutoff point for it. Plus it's not long enough to be 3 books either, it's more like Sanderson-length work(235k words as of today after some heavy editing) -- and realistically I know that a new author wouldn't get published with that.

It's not the first book I wrote, but it's the first one I'm happy enough with it to actually take it seriously haha. Part of me wants to try for traditional publishing anyway, but a larger part thinks it would be better suited for self-publishing. Probably going to decide after I'm done with this draft.

Nudull

Banned

Congrats! :)

Pazu

sign me up for djinn-powered automatons!

Ah, there are them rejection letters! I was feeling so alone. NOw I'm just sad D:

Actually, one was interesting. Read something like, "I'm afraid I can't offer you representation at this time" which is way different than any of the others I've ever gotten.

Gonna assume that's a good thing and not some evil omen of me being unloved forever until I die.

Woorloog

Banned
Unfortunately no, there's no good cutoff point for it. Plus it's not long enough to be 3 books either, it's more like Sanderson-length work(235k words as of today after some heavy editing) -- and realistically I know that a new author wouldn't get published with that.

Can you expand it, write a good cut-off point to form a duology?

Landford

Banned
Didnt know this thread existed, will keep reading everything you guys posted, just finished a 100k word novel (although not in english), some pretty awesome advice.

JaseMath

First-ever first draft is done! Wrapped it at just over 77K words!

How long did you all wait before you started jumping on edits for the 2nd draft? Days? Weeks? Months? Personally, I'm thinking 3 or 4 weeks oughta be enough time for it to simmer.

I also need a title. My working title has been The Kindness Twice, but I don't know if I love it enough to keep it.

Anyway, I mostly just wanted to boast that I fucking did it. Perhaps it's terrible and may never see the light of day, but you know what, I wrote a book. I took words and phrases to create sentences that ultimately became a story. A story that, in the whole of human history, has never been told. That’s a powerful thing.

Top Bottom