• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Hollywood’s Biggest Misses Are Hits Overseas

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Afaik only 25% of collections are given to the foreign film studio/producers etc by the Chinese gov't. I think it's 40-50% in the US.

Foreign box office doesn't give studios the same return as US box office either.

I wouldn't be surprised if earnings per dollar are anywhere from 40-50% less in China compared to US.

Is it really just because of our extra billions of dollars to spend on radical CGI effects?

monsterhunt_featured-665x285.jpg

China at least has gotta step it up

KILL IT. KILL IT WITH FIRE.

Khoryos

I actually watered about this while watching Skull Island - it seemed like there were a lot of spaces for Jing Tian to have done hero stuff offscreen; so how different was the Chinese cut?

Patryn

When have US audiences?

The entire story of this summer's box office has been how the highly rated movies have been doing well, while the low rated films have been bombing. It's why there has been talk about studios stopping early reviews, because a bad Rotten Tomatoes score can sink a film that was originally being tracked for a decent weekend (see things like Baywatch).

aznpxdd

I actually watered about this while watching Skull Island - it seemed like there were a lot of spaces for Jing Tian to have done hero stuff offscreen; so how different was the Chinese cut?

There was no Chinese cut, its the same, she did shit.

Ratrat

The entire story of this summer's box office has been how the highly rated movies have been doing well, while the low rated films have been bombing. It's why there has been talk about studios stopping early reviews, because a bad Rotten Tomatoes score can sink a film that was originally being tracked for a decent weekend (see things like Baywatch).
Yes, I definitely see that story looking at Alien, F8 and Cars 3.

knitoe

China allows 39 this year, up from 34, import movies per year. If it's a big budget movie, it's going to be a hit since their other options are slim. That's why Hollywood studios kiss ass to get their movies release there.

C4Lukins

Congrats to US consumers who are finally mostly ignoring the garbage. Bad on every country where terrible films are dominating the box office. We may be the major entity behind Transformers, The Mummy, and More Fast and Uber Speed Furious, but we are also finally rejecting these films in mass. Time for the rest of the world to vomit up this garbage.

Why doesn't the rest of the world care when a movie is bad

LOL, this old egocentric view.

The rest of the world actually has much better taste than America. The top performing movies in the rest of the world tend to be from their own country. Number one Chinese movie the last decade is an R rated Chinese comedy. In France its an r rated French comedy.

The rest of the world tends to watch good cinema for adults, while English speaking countries tend to watch crappy movies for children, even the adults. The top movies in America and Britain, are all movies made for children and are very simple.

I find it funny that Americans are blaming the foreign market, ummmm, Hollywood would collapse without the foreign market. Ticket sales have been plummeting in America for two decades straight. If anything Americans should be bowing down and thanking the Chinese and the rest for saving their asses.

Kinyou

Hollywood probably spends more money than everybody else (before i google)
Yeah, I think that they're willing to bankroll the stuff is the biggest factor. Germany has an acclaimed studio like Scanline vfx who worked on Iron man 3 and Godzilla but you'll hardly see a german movie with that level of effects.

kiguel182

Well you can also look at shit like 50 Shades of Grey and Suicide Squad.

Other countries have equivalents to imdb and rottentomatoes. Its not some special thing Americans invented.

Only Americans read reviews and know quality!

Or it's franchise fatigue.

dl77

It's kinda crazy how much better America's CGI is than everyone else's.

That's budget though. I can't say for every country but I'm pretty sure that the biggest budget film ever made in China is around $100m. That's the same budget as T2, a film that's now 26 years old!

These days even an average summer release is coming in it around $130-150m, once you get up to the big ones you're looking at nearly $300m - or even nearly $400m in the case of PotC: On Stranger Tides!

dl77

Going back to the OP, this is why so many American blockbusters are now globe-trotting adventures.Would Transformers have gone to the expense of shooting in China if they didn't think they'd get good returns from the country when the film's release?

If anything Americans should be bowing down and thanking the Chinese and the rest for saving their asses.

Thanking them for allowing Hollywood to keep recycling the same crap every year so they don't feel pressured to try something new? No thanks.

The domestic intakes are dropping specifically because American audiences are sick of the same franchises. When something kind of new comes out like Wonder Woman, they'll still go see it. Of course intakes for Pirates 5, Bayformers Whatever, and Tom Cruise Mummy are low - we're sick of them.

daxy

It's kinda crazy how much better America's CGI is than everyone else's.

"America's CGI"

Most CGI is outsourced to Asia (e.g. India) nowadays. It's all about how big the budgets are in Hollywood. Spend enough and it'll look good eventually.

dl77

I remember the days when studios would often hype up the fact that the likes of ILM or Digital Domain were doing the VFX as you knew you were if for something special. These days though we've reached a point in terms of capability when numerous studios can produce work of the same standard if they have the budget.

It's like the days when if a game had the name John Carmack on it you know you were looking at something technically miles ahead of anything else out there!

Ratrat

Thanking them for allowing Hollywood to keep recycling the same crap every year so they don't feel pressured to try something new? No thanks.

The domestic intakes are dropping specifically because American audiences are sick of the same franchises. When something kind of new comes out like Wonder Woman, they'll still go see it. Of course intakes for Pirates 5, Bayformers Whatever, and Tom Cruise Mummy are low - we're sick of them.
Sure...
Which of the following blockbusters are likely to bomb in America?

Spider-Man reboot #2
2nd sequel to Planet of the Apes reboot #2
Valerian
Dark Tower

Completely false.

American tickets sales have been plummeting far before Hollywood starting catering to China.

Wonder Woman, a DC Superhero movie is completely new?

Yeah, taking a look at the American box office, with the same type of bullshit dominating it for 30 years now, yeah, clearly Americans want something new, lol. That is insane. Americans decidedly DO NOT want anything new. Different types of movies fail in America, which is why the American domestic boxoffice proves this completely.

Making movies is not a zero sum game. If a domestic movie can be profitable, than people will make it. But these magical 'different' and 'new' movies are not made because when they are they tend to bomb hard. It's Americans, not anyone else, who have choosen Franchises and blockbusters and childrens movies over original or unique movies. Other countries actually watch movies for adults, Americans specifically choose not to.

It all started with ET, but I guess you're going blame the Chinese for that too? LOL. Just take a look at the Box office, its crazy anyone could blame the shitty state of franchises and blockbusters on anyone other than America. That IS American cinema, with or without the foreign market.

American audiences ain't sick of shit. They choose to see those movies over and over. Wonderwoman and Guaridan 2, two highest grossing movies in America this year, lol. What original different movies! Americans are craving something different. LMAO. American audiences are the least original, the least unique, and crave dumb popcorn movies more than anyone else on this planet. Box office proves this to be a fact.

UberTag

A lot of movies that have been successful in America are garbage, so let's not pretend like Americans are the barometers for what's "really good" and foreigners eat up what they had the good sense to avoid.
Adam Sandler has built an entire legacy out of peddling crap to Americans. It took them an eternity to wise up.
And it's not like critics weren't panning all of his movies post-Happy Gilmore because they were.

Renekton

What blew my mind was Pacific Rim in China.

The Chinese Jaeger team was portrayed as total losers. Why did they like it❓

dl77

Adam Sandler has built an entire legacy out of peddling crap to Americans. It took them an eternity to wise up.
And it's not like critics weren't panning all of his movies post-Happy Gilmore because they were.

Not sure that they have wised up. His Netflix output is huge to the point where they've signed him up for another four films. Apparently there's been 500 million viewing hours of his material on the service.

Because you're spoiled, and you don't know what a real bad movie is?

More or less. Isn't hard to look beyond one's narrow view to see why some people won't consider these movies bad.

Really? Even the giant ant fight that happens entirely off-screen?

...Then what the hell was the point of her?

Because it meant they could advertise like so,

Hey, thank the international audience for Pacific Rim 2 happening.

caliph95

I wonder if part of it is that most of the bad dialogue's "badness" is lost in translation.
As well as the story i read somewhere those big blockbusters that the do well in international markets sell well because they have easy to understand bad guys and plot or at least a simple one like even if you don't speak english and have to read subtittles you get megatron is the bad guy. Plus broad humor helps (it's easy to get the joke regardless of culture) and everybody loves destruction

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm just happy that Pirates 5 was saved overseas. Loved it and I want the teased next one with the entire original cast returning.

Not sure that they have wised up. His Netflix output is huge to the point where they've signed him up for another four films. Apparently there's been 500 million viewing hours of his material on the service.

They absolutely haven't wised up. I believe he is perhaps the single most popular thing on Netflix actually. He's up there. Netflix virtually never give out numbers, except for some metrics for their biggest things, and they did recently say something like the average American Netflix viewer has seen over 2 Netflix Adam Sandler movies.

He is easily their biggest and most popular film maker. That is how much intelligent and original American viewers are over everyone else. While in Europe almost every top movie in their respective country is some highly regarded comedy and regardless it is made for adults not children.

It's a uniquely American thing that most of its cinema is simple, and must be understandable for an 8 year old and an 80 year old. That is not the case in the rest of the world.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

it may surprise nationalists, but sometimes people don't really care what their country does in a film

Sure...
Which of the following blockbusters are likely to bomb in America?

Spider-Man reboot #2
2nd sequel to Planet of the Apes reboot #2
Valerian
Dark Tower

Don't pretend that a heavily-marketed Marvel Studios movie is going to be a fair matchup to two films that have zero marketing push. I could honestly see Apes going either way.

By the way, one of the things going for that Spider-man film is the fact that the MCU inclusion is new and a different take on Spider-man films. We saw how the previous films declined in box office revenue because yes, they were getting tired, which is what pushed Sony to make the deal with Marvel. That's what this film is banking on for its success - that it's different from the previous ones.

It's just further supporting what I said.

Completely false.

American tickets sales have been plummeting far before Hollywood starting catering to China.

Wonder Woman, a DC Superhero movie is completely new?

Yeah, taking a look at the American box office, with the same type of bullshit dominating it for 30 years now, yeah, clearly Americans want something new, lol. That is insane. Americans decidedly DO NOT want anything new. Different types of movies fail in America, which is why the American domestic boxoffice proves this completely.

Making movies is not a zero sum game. If a domestic movie can be profitable, than people will make it. But these magical 'different' and 'new' movies are not made because when they are they tend to bomb hard. It's Americans, not anyone else, who have choosen Franchises and blockbusters and childrens movies over original or unique movies. Other countries actually watch movies for adults, Americans specifically choose not to.

It all started with ET, but I guess you're going blame the Chinese for that too? LOL. Just take a look at the Box office, its crazy anyone could blame the shitty state of franchises and blockbusters on anyone other than America. That IS American cinema, with or without the foreign market.

American audiences ain't sick of shit. They choose to see those movies over and over. Wonderwoman and Guaridan 2, two highest grossing movies in America this year, lol. What original different movies! Americans are craving something different. LMAO. American audiences are the least original, the least unique, and crave dumb popcorn movies more than anyone else on this planet. Box office proves this to be a fact.

You say that Americans keep choosing to support franchises and that they keep these tired franchises going, but aren't we in a topic that points to the opposite? You can't have it both ways. You also say Americans want the least original, least unique dumb popcorn movies, and that the box office proves that to be a fact, but again, this topic says it's the opposite, and it's the rest of the world that pays to see them. So which is it?

Wonder Woman's first film since it's inception and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 being the main moneymakers also just proves the point. Guardians is sci-fi to the point of blurring the superhero "line," and it's trippy large-budget sci-fi at that, a rare thing at this point (compare it to the relatively watered-down Star Trek reboot films) and Wonder Woman is the first female-led superhero film since Elektra and Catwoman, and so far the only good one. That's not unique enough?

While derisive and mocking, your post seems to only support the opposite of what you're saying.

I'm also not sure what your curious beef with children-geared films is about. Are these somehow bad? "Other countries actually watch movies for adults, Americans specifically choose not to" is just such a bizarre statement I'm not sure where to begin. It's laughably tryhard-like, but I'm not sure that was the intent.

TyrantII

It might shock someone but apparently there are are more people living outside US than in US.

China's middle class is the size of the entire US population.

That's a lot of iPhones, cars, and movie tickets.

Kinda sad that Hollywood can just throw up dreck blockbusters and foreign markets will eat it up because they value spectacle over quality.

In time they'll start asking why not both, but for now it's a god send to the studios that they can just CGI some poorly slapped together dailies and make a billion bucks without a competent editor or daft script.

Ratrat

Don't pretend that a heavily-marketed Marvel Studios movie is going to be a fair matchup to two films that have zero marketing push. I could honestly see Apes going either way.

By the way, one of the things going for that Spider-man film is the fact that the MCU inclusion is new and a different take on Spider-man films. We saw how the previous films declined in box office revenue because yes, they were getting tired, which is what pushed Sony to make the deal with Marvel. That's what this film is banking on for its success - that it's different from the previous ones.
Lol. Its 'new' because its the 20th generic Marvel film in 5 years on top of being a 2nd reboot. But a new Mummy is too much!
America is totally tired of old franchises and wants something new!!!! How's Saw 8 coming along?

The reviews for those were... decent?

Edit: Checked. Yes, all 3 movies were in the 60s/70s.
Seems pretty good to me. Are those franchises usually in the 80-90 range? Whats your point.

Top Bottom