• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Marvel and Star Wars versions of Disney Infinity are in development

Metalmarc

Willing to buy

Deadpool
Punisher
Blade
Carnage
Venom

Boba Fett
Darth Vader
Darth Maul

Im a grown man for crying out loud haha, i don't care though.

Disney make it so

Sad to hear about the layoffs but from what I understood the layoffs are hitting an underperforming section of Disney Interactive focused on "Social Media" (games?) left over from the original acquisition.

I'm excited about the Disney Infinity news however! I just started my collection, since it's been out for a bit I'm getting some good deals on the figures.

I personally am looking forward to Tron characters myself!

DJ_Lae

Not surprised, it's a perfect fit.

Here's hoping the game is actually good. The concept has a ton of potential (see Skylanders) but Infinity was mediocre at best, unfortunately.

pukko

Neo Member
Looks like Disney and Activision are going to kill off the plastic figurine game market like they did with the plastic guitar game market

This. The action figures (especially star wars) will become collectibles, so buy them and put then away for 3+ years. But I kinda doubt that the games will be that great. Disney want easy money. The games will be rushed and the market will be tired of paying $100+ for one game and soon forgotten toys.

Or it will all be great and it'll be the future of gaming..

I feel like Disney really failed to grasp the part of Skylanders that makes it such a rampant success. The game is FUN. It has tons of content, each character has different abilities/skills, and they released a ton of them.

Infinity had literally a stockpile of amazing characters/worlds to draw from, and it barely tried.

Look at the lego games. Hundreds of unlockable characters, tons of worlds, etc. I forgive those games for gameplay faults because there's just so much content.

Disney Infinity lost me because it had a chance to make something amazing, but they just went for a quick cashgrab imitation. A fun, huge, varied gameworld with tons of characters and stages and powers, would have been amazing. I would have paid hundreds for it if they had really put their back into it. But they didn't.

I'll wait and see for these now. Star Wars and Marvel are amazing but Infinity as a name is ruined for me, but I guess I was never the target audience.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
IN.

Better start saving.

Spirit3

I have also heard this is the case, Marvel 2014, Star Wars 2015. Conveniently I'm not in the games industry or withheld by any NDA's. People just have loose tongues.

Neoxon

Has there been any crossovers/cameos between Marvel + Disney since the acquisition? Or Marvel/Star Wars or Disney/Star Wars.
To my memory, there was a Phineas & Ferb crossover involving Spidey, Iron Man, Hulk, & Thor (& the villains being Red Skull, MODOK, Whiplash, & Venom), & they're gonna do the same with Star Wars, but that's all that I know about.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Why would I play a game characters that nobody's heard of? (When you're banking on consumers to purchase multiple characters.) Nah, I'm cool with the cheaper game.

Cheaper? I picked up the PS4 version of the latest Skylanders for $37.00.

So the news about the layoffs seems to directly impact Playdom. As someone who stills plays way more Avengers Alliance than I really should, this news kind of sucks.

Mesoian

They want the Skylanders money, that's all this is and it's all Disney Infinity ever was. They want kids to beg their parents to buy the game and all the "toys" to go with it.

And really it's a different market segment than the standard superhero games. Hopefully they haven't given up on those because of Sega's lousy low-budget offerings and Activision's slightly better Spiderman games. Surely they can't be ignorant of what the Batman Arkham franchise is doing.

Absolutely, but as far as the actual game aspect of things, Skylanders is still 3 times the video game Infinity is. Infinity is more of a toy than a game, by design.

Disney has a lot of work to do when it comes to video games in general. They seem to be making interesting strides with Fantasia, we can only hope that said project bears fruit.

nomis

I want a picture of a living room of some kid with all the Rock Band and Guitar Hero instruments including the keyboard and some mics, and then like a table with Eye of Judgment, and then like a Wii Balance board and a table with a bunch of Skylanders crap and like Disney Infinite stuff all over the wall. Like, the ultimate in plastic garbage kitsch gaming. Even sneak a ROB and some DDR pads and stuff in there and a Tony Hawk skateboard.

Let's be real, no one bought the eye of judgement

MAtgS

I rather DI2 focuses more on the classics like Aladdin or Peter Pan & save Marvel/SW for DI3. Which'll be in 2015, the same year as Avengers 2 & Ep7. Just seems the smart way to go.

The whole thing is impenetrable to me. I would like to play the Lone Ranger part. However to do this, I have to pay $75 for the starter set and then another $40 for the Lone Ranger set. Too expensive for something that isn't a must have.

Pociask

The whole thing is impenetrable to me. I would like to play the Lone Ranger part. However to do this, I have to pay $75 for the starter set and then another $40 for the Lone Ranger set. Too expensive for something that isn't a must have.

Yeah, I think Disney really screwed up by going for a few high price items instead of volume sales. What if the base game was $40-$50, and then you had a thousand toy choices (brought ought over time, of course) that cost $10-$15 bucks for a 3 pack? Make it easy for people to buy your product, and they'll keep buying. Make it hard, and they won't.

So the news about the layoffs seems to directly impact Playdom. As someone who stills plays way more Avengers Alliance than I really should, this news kind of sucks.

I'm with you there. Mind you, Avengers Alliance is pretty much the only Playdom game that's reported to be performing well. It could mean that Playdom will close some of its other games first. It's not like Avengers Alliance has too many developers - there's virtually no customer service and there have been bugs that lasted months - so cutbacks to MAA could prove disastrous.

Still, good news for console fans, I suppose.

Top Bottom