• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: No announcements planned for game titles or specs for Nintendo Switch in 2016

Verendus

Banned
michael-jordan-laugh.gif

Shin-chan

In that case I kind of feel like they could have kept it to themselves until everything was ready to show.

This is the equivalent of a game getting announced with a CG trailer that tells us nothing only for the meat of the game to be shown off just a few months later with silence in between. Either do both at the same time or just skip the teasing crap.

Oh well, if the new Mario is good and the device isn't region locked I'll be there fairly early.

Richie

However dumb this may be, I for one appreciate at least being told so in advance. It'll interrupt the waterfall of "Is today the day?" speculation for the year's remainder.

By this logic, they shouldn't even have announced the console until January to preserve that 'hype.'

Honestly, a big reason for this reveal was likely to appease investors so they don't have to dodge a bunch of questions next week.

Plus, like others have said, a short preview video plants a seed in the consumer's mind.

Sorcerer

By this logic, they shouldn't even have announced the console until January to preserve that 'hype.'

Personally I think its smart, it plants a seed in someones head that they may want to wait a few months before choosing a console. If you want the Switch, 3 months after Xmas for a new console is not a big deal to wait.

Hydrus

Would it make any difference by saying this stuff four months in advance?

Also Skyrim will totally be $60

Yes. Especially to parents around the holiday season. You think people are gonna hold off on spending money for something they have no clue about, other then its called Nintendo switch and only one official launch title announced ( Zelda ). Or are they gonna say screw it, not take the gamble and just get PS4, Xbone or whatever for the holidays.

jmizzal

I thought we were getting something related to BG&E? Has the source backed off or clarified on it?

Its suppose to be at the reveal, which is prob in Jan, plus the game isnt comin out until 2018, and they just started on the game so I doubt they have much to show right now anyways.

Oddish1

I don't really understand Nintendo's idea of promotion. They showed nothing of the Switch at E3, and then released months later a trailer revealing several games although they refused to expand further on any of them. Now they're not revealing anything else until January? Yeah that's not a great way to build hype for your system. In fact that's kind of an awful way to do it.

From where I'm sitting Nintendo seems to have built up quite a bit of hype and excitement actually. Look how many NX speculation threads there have been and how much excitement the reveal trailer caused.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
News gets burried during the Holiday season. Better to wait post this Holiday. Currently they are on full Poke ramp up for Sun & Moon. Now that we know what the system is better to wait and do a full blowout in January vs drip feeding or trying to do a direct during the Holidays.

Doesn't surprise me in the least. It's really dumb, but it doesn't surprise me. They should have had a whole PR strategy ready from now until release, but of course they don't.

I hope the leaks pour through.

Why wouldn't they?

There is already a listing on Amazon in the US.

They'd need a price, or they're just going to leave it to retailers to overestimate and turn people away from it.

Chase17

Yes. Especially to parents around the holiday season. You think people are gonna hold off on spending money for something they have no clue about, other then its called Nintendo switch and only one official launch title announced ( Zelda ). Or are they gonna say screw it, not take the gamble and just get PS4, Xbone or whatever for the holidays.

So you think parents are so in tune with consoles that they would wait until March to get their kid a $350 system over a $300 dollar system during the holidays.

udivision

Honestly, a big reason for this reveal was likely to appease investors so they don't have to dodge a bunch of questions next week.

Do we want to go into that territory though? As in... Nintendo would've preferred the January reveal?

A 3 minute video and than a few months of silence, along with everything else we've learned makes that more reasonable and less anth0ny-y.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
They should at least reveal 2-3 games over the next few months to keep it on people's minds, that way they remember to preorder it with Christmas money.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Odd. I wonder if they are somehow still not finalized. Or are they somewhat poor, and Nintendo just don't want people to dwell on it for 5 months.

Kremzeek

Wow that's lame.

With all their cash, couldn't they figure out how to have a steady drip marketing campaign until March?

I mean jeez what a fumble.

RK128

So they just throw together a commercial (a great one mind you) only to be silent for months about this thing?

Meh :l. If Nintendo want's to not inform people about their upcoming console, okay then. But I do hope they clarify some major bit's of information (price, battery live, touch screen support, Wii U/3DS BC or Virtual Console Support, ect) over the next few months.

At the very least, studios like SEGA and Image & Form Games can talk about the Switch openly.

Sorcerer

So you think parents are so in tune with consoles that they would wait until March to get their kid a $350 system over a $300 dollar system during the holidays.

Parents are never in tune with this stuff. Its up to the kids to steer their parents to the console they want. And we don't know that it is $350.
The hook of a console and a portable in one is a good one.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The only reason for this is that they don't have all details for launch ready (price, promo, games, peripherals, etc). They'll also probably trying not to overshadow their other dealings this holiday season.

/rationalthoughts

Huh, that's interesting because Laura Kate Dale, who has been pretty solid on rumors, said differently.

[source]
I trust both people. I don't know who to believe. :(

But seriously, I expect January since if not...they would've just had a full direct.

Hope to be wrong tho. Good god its five months out and we still have no idea what the launch games are besides Zelda which technically isn't confirmed. For all we know all games show today could be launch or none of them. Its literally all up in the air. Glad to finally have 100% confirmation that I can go all portable but I need to know how I should manage launch titles. Don't even show no more footage, just the price and 1st party launch titles! :/

This is my dream device so I'm hyped as hell but this has to be the most annoying leadup to a launch I've ever been apart of.

Way to give would be NS buyers a reason not to buy a PS4 or XB1 this holiday season!

Look, your console looks nice and all but other than Zelda we still have zero official game confirmations for the damn console. The WiiU's dead. You guys should be hyping us for the Switch so much that people would choose to wait for it instead jumping the gun.

Jesus Christ, Nintendo. I fail to see why this announcement is considerably better than the WiiU's.

trugs26

So everything will be revealed in January, 2 months prior to launch? Yeah ok.

Something doesn't add up. The March launch will either be pushed back, and their promo campaign will be a joke.

Times are changing. The time from announcement to launch is becoming much quicker with every generation. 2 months seems fine in this day and age.

AniHawk

Wait so this means everyone else is free to announce things?

i'm sure they can. sega and square enix already have - but i'm sure nintendo would prefer if people saved their stuff for the full reveal in 2017.

the short turnaround time from reveal to launch means they can consolidate their marketing spend into those months and keep hype super fresh up through launch and into the next fiscal year. it's not a bad idea - the 3 minute reveal video received a largely positive reception when people have been demanding a stage show instead. in the end it comes down to presentation, and if something is good or if something sucks, that's what people will remember in the end.

Morts

I mean, I'd like to know, but it's not a big deal. As long as that info is out when pre-orders open.

We'll know all by March. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if something shows up at the Game Awards anyway.

Chase17

Parents are never in tune with this stuff. Its up to the kids to steer their parents to the console they want. And we don't know that it is $350.
I was going off the other persons example price. Anyways most kids probably aren't patient enough to ask their parents to hold off on a holiday gift for three months.

Way to give would be NS buyers a reason not to buy a PS4 or XB1 this holiday season!

Look, your console looks nice and all but other than Zelda we still have zero official game confirmations for the damn console. The WiiU's dead. You guys should be hyping us for the Switch so much that people would choose to wait for it instead jumping the gun.

Jesus Christ, Nintendo. I fail to see why this announcement is considerably better than the WiiU's.

Not to be pedantic, but they've got two Dragon Quest games, Just Dance, and Sonic.

casiopao

And had another three months of moaning and death of Nintendo plaguing their ecosystem?

This moves is also done to reassure the stockholders that NS is a new system they are preparing to launch to show the Stockholders that they are still deep in gaming industry.

jjonez18

Obviously don't want to hinder the record setting selling pace of the Wii U over the holiday season.
/s... What gives Nintendo. Stop being a tease.

Kyoufu

That's poor form to be honest. Developers can't even confirm the games that were shown in the Switch reveal trailer. Come on...

Both Sony and Microsoft revealed their system specs during and after their reveals. Nintendo being different but not in a good way tbh.

Has any console ever been rolled out like this? I can't think of any.

You have nothing this fall, your presence after the Wii U is zilch, gamers are going to buy Xbox, PS4, ps4 pro this holiday and you have a super stacked 2017 slate of games on said consoles. And your plan of attack is to talk about it 2-3 months away from launch?

Everything about this console roll out has been bizarre. It feels like they're not ready for march.

Such idiots. Why do they always fail to capitalize when they have all the attention on them? E3? lol nope. Pokemon Go phenom this summer? NOPE! The Switch reveal? HAHAHA HELL NO! "Lets wait until after the holidays and less then 3 months from when its supposed to launch to convince people to buy it. "

Just when I thought they learned something...

The idea that Nintendo has changed/learned something/turned over a near leaf is entirely a fan construct.

When you look at it objectively, everything they have done this year and everything they have revealed about the Switch is perfectly in keeping with their behaviour since the Wii.

I predict so many expectations are about to be crushed by this thing, not just in terms of the hardware (same cheap plasticky build quality, internals entirely within the realm of handheld gaming and not a home console) but also games (not sure why people are expecting a suite of hardcore Nintendo classics like a real Metroid etc).

You'll get Zelda, and it will be forbidden to see it as the 2010-esque middle of the road action RPG it looks to be for at least 2 years, and you'll your Mario Kart, Pokemon and probably a great 3D Mario, otherwise you're looking at standard Nintendo handheld shovelware and the occasional gem +/- some gimmicky multiplayer focused titles taking advantage of the minuscule deratchable controllers until publishers realise there's no real market for that feature.

Plus, like others have said, a short preview video plants a seed in the consumer's mind.

Surely these same stockholders will ask pointed questions about why they don't appear to have any software marketing plans between now and January for their new platform, I think having a preview video only checks off one item from a list of several dozen from quizzical board members.

That's poor form to be honest. Developers can't even confirm the games that were shown in the Switch reveal trailer. Come on...

Both Sony and Microsoft revealed their system specs during and after their reveals. Nintendo being different but not in a good way tbh.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda is refusing to talk about the Switch port by choice because it releases months after the PSR/XBO versions. As far as I know third parties are free to announce any game they want if it isn't a launch title. Hell, 4 or 5 devs already revealed themselves to be partners independent from the official list.

Top Bottom