• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: No announcements planned for game titles or specs for Nintendo Switch in 2016

Josh5890

Good. Not so much the fact that we aren't getting anymore info, but that we know don't expect anything 2017. That will release some stress of waiting and wondering if today's the day

Unfortunate, but Nintendo probably wants to concentrate on selling Pokemon and the last few Wii Us during the holiday before going all-in on Switch. Hopefully we get a press event (not a Direct) first week of January.

Hydrus

Jesus people it's two months. Play some games in the mean time.

Were looking closer to three and when that happens, if they are still planning to launch in March, that gives them around two months to show off games and convince people to not only buy the hardware, but also a few games.

If two months before launch they say " Switch will be priced starting at $350" and games like Skyrim remastered being priced at $60, this thing is dead.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
It might sound odd but I'm definitely good with waiting until early 2017.

I think they have a potential to make an amazing Switch Direct during Jan 2017, just like they did with Wii U few years ago during Jan.

Ushay

The consoles is slated for March, that's less than 6 months away and they have nothing to announce on games for it?

Holy shit Nintendo, never change.

udivision

They don't want anyone to steal their games.

They are okay with people stealing Mario, Mario Kart, Splatoon, and Zelda though.

They stole Skyrim, and are somewhat sorry about it.

Chase17

While this is disappointing, I'm happy to know I shouldn't expect anything until 2017.

Ultimately not announcing anything else for it for another couple months isn't that huge of a deal, just would be fun to know sooner.

They could literally forget to put out the marketing for Pokemon and it'd still sell a bajillion copies.

Doesn't seem like it's worth holding off news on account of that kind of lineup.

It's definitely risky, but if they nail the January event (or Direct), it could work. But they better have a lot of software to show.

bryanee

The only annoying thing about this for me is that I'm pretty sure Amazon UK wont let you pre-order until they at least have a price and I'd very much like to pre-order this thing.

Sorcerer

The only annoying thing about this for me is that I'm pretty sure Amazon UK wont let you pre-order until they at least have a price.

I bet Gamestop will take your pre-order tommorow. They don't seem to care as long as they get your deposit.

Crazyorloco

I actually think it's a good idea to wait it out. I rather see a game and I want and have the ability to purchase it soon afterwards. I am pretty sure they'll have something about games coming though.

The real details about everything is coming in January I bet. Nintendo starting the new year right.

Mentok

Banned
What's the big deal here?

None that I can see, but you know it obviously means "Nintendo has messed up and is doomed" (add this to the list some people use to why they've been doomed since the GameCube).

For me, a full January unveiling of the specs, games, etc. increases my hype for March.

Now that I've cooled down a bit I guess I'm fine with this and I totally understand why Nintendo would want this approach. I was even kind of figuring this would happen. It would've been nice to be a bit more upfront though regarding when new info was coming, and I still can't shake the feeling this reveal only occurred now out of necessity.

Haines

Banned
Great.

Show me a polished game that's ready to launch when it's ready.

Half of gas cries about games not looking same as marketing and delays but this isn't ok?

Gimme a break.

Next year will be huge for Nintendo.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This isn't surprising in the least.

LordofPwn

They should just get the bad stuff out of the way this year, then show off the games in January. Probably also means we won't get a Zelda release date until next year. Was hoping for VGA announcement.

Also feel bad for launch title devs that will probably be in crunch mode around the holidays.

Hydrus

I want to see the games as much as anybody, but why market a bunch of games that nobody is gonna be able to buy for the holidays?

We not gonna be able to play the games til March anyways, its like 2 more months before 2017, not that far off.

They need to market the hardware and convince people to buy it. If this thing were to launch at $250 or less, then maybe it would work. But if this thing is gonna cost $300 or more, its gonna be a tough sell.

Maybe they're trying to make sure that they have a library for this console, and not announce releases until they're actually close to release?

It would make sense given what happened with the Wii U.

If they haven't figured out if there gonna have a decent library of titles by now, then they are screwed.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gonna be hilarious when this thing launches with a couple WiiU ports and Zelda.

Emily said the launch is going to blow away Wii U. I believe the same.

Well, he doesn't say anything about price. I think they will outline cost and SKUs so that pre-orders can open.

I also think they'll talk a little bit more about Zelda, since it's not strictly a "Switch" title.

People expected it to be like "now that the NX is revealed, Nintendo will start their new communication and there'll be directs every month and we'll all sing songs and join hands."

In reality, nothing ever really changes.

I mean, that's usually how these things go. Not just for Nintendo but every console.

Vinc

The funny thing is that the mockups were so close and the rumors so true that we basically got nothing today. The wait for the proper reveal continues.

The funny thing is that the mockups were so close and the rumors so true that we basically got nothing today. The wait for the proper reveal continues.

Emily Rogers made a biiiiiig name for herself.

Which still apparently isn't enough for some people, but what can you do.

Tookay

Of course, I'd like information as soon as possible.

But I also know that Nintendo's got a holiday to get through, so I'm not surprised in the least.

Great.

Show me a polished game that's ready to launch when it's ready.

Half of gas cries about games not looking same as marketing and delays but this isn't ok?

Gimme a break.

Next year will be huge for Nintendo.

It's more or less not okay because it's so close to the release date. Most companies would use this time to drum up interest. The hardcore is going to stick around, sure, but casual consumers (i.e., what they want to capitalize on in addition to hardcore) need to be reminded that this shit is coming out, what games are on the way, and so on. It was dumb of them to wait this long, and it's even dumber to wait until next year unless there's a significant delay.

That's not even commenting on how unfinished games and delays aren't even related to the lack of information and marketing months before a brand new console.

boxter432

"Official announcements" to me basically means Nintendo directs and press releases. Doesn't stop any third parties from announcing a game is on switch or anything.
Also not wanting to steal any 3ds holiday sales i guess

Plinko

Why would they advertise this thing over the holiday season? Makes zero sense whatsoever. It would take emphasis away from what little they have coming out, and possibly create confusion among parents who don't pay attention and go to the store looking for this stuff for Christmas.

It's more or less not okay because it's so close to the release date. Most companies would use this time to drum up interest. The hardcore is going to stick around, sure, but casual consumers (i.e., what they want to capitalize on in addition to hardcore) need to be reminded that this shit is coming out, what games are on the way, and so on. It was dumb of them to wait this long, and it's even dumber to wait until next year unless there's a significant delay.

That's not even commenting on how unfinished games and delays aren't even related to the lack of information and marketing months before a brand new console.

This is ludicrous. Two months is more than enough to properly market a game. Also, casual consumers need more time? What in the world?

Chase17

Were looking closer to three and when that happens, if they are still planning to launch in March, that gives them around two months to show off games and convince people to not only buy the hardware, but also a few games.

If two months before launch they say " Switch will be priced starting at $350" and games like Skyrim remastered being priced at $60, this thing is dead.

Would it make any difference by saying this stuff four months in advance?

Also Skyrim will totally be $60

RikuDawn

I was certain they'd announce a Switch Animal Crossing in the Animal Crossing Direct. Like why would they have a whole Direct dedicated to an update for a 3 year old game? An update that we already know a bunch about. Like????

Top Bottom