• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: No announcements planned for game titles or specs for Nintendo Switch in 2016

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Bait and Switch

kagamin

If this is really what they're going to do, I don't know how Nintendo expects to survive until the Switch launches... whenever it does.

Maybe they want to see how much 3DS and Wii U software they can before they'll be legacy platforms.
ren-chon-shrug.jpg

Ok? A bit disappointing but in return, I want a flood of information for months up to launch. Control the console mindshare for three months Nintendo.

It's not a big deal at all and this marketing move won't affect a single person's decision on whether or not to purchase the hardware.

Sure, it's a bit disappointing, but that's it.

I mean Nintendo never reveals specs ever and we have a pretty good idea on what games are coming out. Why is everyone angry?

Uhh I guess I'll ask the question here.

What are this guys qualifications? Is he legit? Can we trust him?

He works for the WSJ. Definitely credible. He presumably got this info direct from Nintendo.

March release doesn't seem likely now.

Nah, I think it's still happening. Full reveal in Jan and then a release two months later means they'll at least be striking that iron as hot as possible. Also the shitstorm if they go 6 months telling us it's March, reaffirm it 5 months in advance, and then push it back again will be a nightmare for fans and investors.

Malus

Did a gaffer wish for an NX reveal on a monkey's paw or something

Seriously lol.

This combined with Eurogamers rumor of the reveal being delayed because Mario wasn't running well just gives me the impression that this is more out of necessity than anything. They just don't have stuff ready to show.

You don't need months upon months to get people to make a decision. Get real GAF.

I don't give a shiiiiiiiiiiit I just wanna see more NX. 3 minutes for goodness sake. :(

Welp, back to doing other things.

jmizzal

Such idiots. Why do they always fail to capitalize when they have all the attention on them? E3? lol nope. Pokemon Go phenom this summer? NOPE! The Switch reveal? HAHAHA HELL NO! "Lets wait until after the holidays and less then 3 months from when its supposed to launch to convince people to buy it. "

Just when I thought they learned something...

I want to see the games as much as anybody, but why market a bunch of games that nobody is gonna be able to buy for the holidays?

We not gonna be able to play the games til March anyways, its like 2 more months before 2017, not that far off.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Well that sucks. I mean, I could understand the secrecy to this point, but to not indulge any more information until at least January, when there will only be two months left? Pretty annoying.

All I can hope for is that 3rd parties will save us with Switch game trailers/announcements.

nynt9

A Nintendo rep friend was posting on FB today stating she wouldn't be trained about the Switch until January, which kind of aligns with this.

Torokil

Well I hope those third parties announce what they're working on in the meantime. The launch window will make or break if I buy this at all next year or not.

At least publishers and third-party devs can start talking about their projects and announce if their games are coming to Switch.

I do wonder why they would even bother to announce it now though if all they were prepared to show was a 3 minute concept trailer. I would rather they have waited and had one big blowout.

Wow, they better have an event in January then. Even then how are people going to get enough info in a short 3 month time frame to be able to confidently pre order the thing ? I want to preorder this thing asap anyway, but I imagine a lot of folks would want to have plenty of time and plenty of info before they go plunking down their cash.

Such idiots. Why do they always fail to capitalize when they have all the attention on them? E3? lol nope. Pokemon Go phenom this summer? NOPE! The Switch reveal? HAHAHA HELL NO! "Lets wait until after the holidays and less then 3 months from when its supposed to launch to convince people to buy it. "

Just when I thought they learned something...

Maybe they're trying to make sure that they have a library for this console, and not announce releases until they're actually close to release?

It would make sense given what happened with the Wii U.

Sorcerer

Nintendo knows its not going to win this holiday. Why throw out game information for games in March with games people can buy now? You will forget about Nintendo's theoretical games in the meantime

January is perfect for a full reveal. People will have spent their holiday money. March is when people will people will have paid off their holiday bills.

I think Nintendo is playing this right.

Kinsei

Banned
This sucks but at least they've outright said it so we don;t have to wonder if we'll get a November or December Switch Direct.

So we're gonna have less than three months to find out what'll even launch with the system?

:(

On the bright side that means that launch title delays will be incredibly unlikely!

IMO it makes perfect sense to not talk games until January. All attention will be on them and they won't have to worry about their new games getting diluted or minimized over the holidays.

I don't know why they're being super secretive about specs until next year though. There will probably be complaints about battery life and so on, and those might be best to get out of the way before the year is up. Then they can focus everyone's attention on the launch lineup in January.

But who knows? My guess is we'll get minor tidbits of info at the investor meeting (mainly just Nintendo's strategy going forward) and then radio silence till next year.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I think this waiting might help Nintendo's promotion. Today's reveal was made a big deal on social media and generally online because of how long the core base had to wait and how much of a mystery it was. Desperate core gamers take that scarcity and amplify the volume greatly. Little details become significant. Baseless rumors trended for me on Facebook because of websites clinging to anything.

Two to three months of silence could make that next Direct and/or media event a bigger deal, which could extend its reach into the mainstream.

I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Top Bottom