• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: NX will be "compatible with" Nintendo's Mobile games, is handheld/console hybrid

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
As far as I'm concerned, this is a handheld with TV out, and the only thing that's "hybrid" about it is that it's combining both of Nintendo's business lines.

I'd personally call that a consolidation, but I imagine Nintendo likes the hybrid messaging more since it sounds a lot better than "We dumped our console line."

I think its status as a true hybrid is entirely dependent on what differences there are when played as a handheld and played on a TV.

If the device only supports one resolution and clock speed for its hardware and simply uprezes or uses the as is resolution of the handheld when played on TV, then it is most definitely just a handheld with TV out.

But if they actually have two separate CPU/GPU profiles for the system, downclocked when used as a handheld to maximize performance there and then another profile for full power to provide a true HD experience when played on TV then I would, personally at least, consider that to be a true hybrid of a console and handheld device.

Krowley

If they're running a custom android OS this makes sense. Would unify their output and give them More killer apps like Go on their own hardware. Could even offer extra features I've the regular mobile versions if they have a 4g antenna in it.

The eurogamer report specifically says it has a custom nintendo OS and that it doesn't simply run on Android, but maybe that doesn't rule out a customized version of Android similar to the Amazon Fire devices.

If they choose not to use Android in some form or fashion, they lose a lot of potential crossover appeal. If it has a version of Android, some people might buy one just to use it as a tablet with some extra bells and whistles, plus more game support, plus plug it into your TV and run apps (netflix and youtube and etc...)

EDarkness

If the dock actually does something other than be a replacement for the battery, then I'll be more interested in what they're doing. As a handheld that plays games on the TV, I don't see what's so special about that considering that idea has been around a long time. I keep hoping that MAYBE Nintendo has a trick up their sleeve and the dock gives it a boost so that it's a normal console if you want it to be with more RAM and processing power along with USB ports for hooking up other devices. On top of that, I imagine that it will support remote and nunchucks as well.

maxcriden

Oh, no, I agree with you there. I mean that they dumped the console hardware line and just put both types of software on the same system.

Oh, gotcha. Sorry, lol, I'm probably just trigger-happy with all the people saying Nintendo is only going to make handheld-style games from now on.

Wollan

I wonder if that means NX will offer sim-card & GPS functionality? Maybe that's an add-on.

edit: Or bluetooth w/mobile.

psyfi

Banned
I think its status as a true hybrid is entirely dependent on what differences there are when played as a handheld and played on a TV.

If the device only supports one resolution and clock speed for its hardware and simply uprezes or uses the as is resolution of the handheld when played on TV, then it is most definitely just a handheld with TV out.

But if they actually have two separate CPU/GPU profiles for when the system downclocked when used as a handheld to maximize performance there and then another profile for full power to provide a true HD experience when played on TV then I would, personally at least, consider that to be a true hybrid of a console and handheld device.
Yup, this is the distinction I've been making too. It makes the hybrid concept a lot more meaningful than mere TV out.

"Compatible with" =! "able to play."

We already heard there's going to be compatibility between Animal Crossing mobile and other Animal Crossing games, for example.

psyfi

Banned
In so many ways, this really does feel like a revision of the Wii U concept. This time they're actually doing it right though, lol.

Well it wouldn't be big news, would it? But it playing Nintendo's cell phone games is pretty major. And, it tells you a bit more about the hardware too.

Well my argument is moot because it's for phones, I get that that's big too, but also it playing 3ds games would be huge for me as well, so I don't lose that stuff. Both would be great news, for me personally 3ds over phone stuff, their phone apps have been pretty much throw away, in my opinion.

I'd just like to remind folks that a device capable of running their own mobile games does not necessarily indicate that the device will be running a pre-existing mobile operating system, such as Android. In fact, I would say it's incredibly unlikely that it will be using any non-bespoke operating system at all.

If the rumor turns out to be true, it is much more likely that Nintendo's mobile development teams simply have a compiler for the NX platform as well as compilers for iOS/Android. This is how most developers work nowadays. (Who intend to target multiple platforms).

Android (An open source operating system) would not be a wise move for Nintendo who have historically vigilantly fought against software piracy. Taking any form of Android would open up a huge can of worms, as it would be incredibly for those "in the know" to hack the platform, and provide pirated software to all who want it. In short, it would be a very unwise decision and I sincerely doubt they would have taken it.

TLDR: Won't be android, because of security and piracy.

Source: I'm a mobile dev. (Who does not know what the NX actually is)

joecanada

But if they actually have two separate CPU/GPU profiles for the system, downclocked when used as a handheld to maximize performance there and then another profile for full power to provide a true HD experience when played on TV then I would, personally at least, consider that to be a true hybrid of a console and handheld device.

that's true, I forgot about this possibility. all depends on the dock, doc!

Yes, which is why I expect there to be a version with and a version without if 4G is in at all.

It's not a concept that worked too well with Vita, but I guess that's more from jumping on 3G and never upgrading.

Animal Crossing mobile to be a full game then?

They still stated that it would be compatible with mainline Animal Crossing games, whether or not the mobile game will be "full" by animal crossing standards is not yet known.

Danneee

So the console will have some Android based OS then?
Built in GPS for Pokemon Go and connectivity with the next Pokemon games maybe...

yllekz

Banned
Watch it run iOS. Why else would they be delaying its unveilling until September (aka Apple's month of announcing shit)?

To me, this means that Nintendo's actual efforts are going to retain most of the gameplay from the past games in each respective franchise. Might even be $10-$15 games on phones instead of ftp (not confident in this though). You're not going to see Pokemon GO on this thing, I don't think.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Yup, this is the distinction I've been making too. It makes the hybrid concept a lot more meaningful than mere TV out.

Worst case scenario is that they pull some middleground bullshit and stick to one middling clock speed and a resolution of 720p or some other non-standard resolution like 900p or some shit. Worst of both worlds. Likely too big a drain for a handheld and a noticeably suboptimal resolution to upscale on most modern TVs.

Krowley

I'd just like to remind folks that a device capable of running their own mobile games does not necessarily indicate that the device will be running a pre-existing mobile operating system, such as Android. In fact, I would say it's incredibly unlikely that it will be using any non-bespoke operating system at all.

If the rumor turns out to be true, it is much more likely that Nintendo's mobile development teams simply have a compiler for the NX platform as well as compilers for iOS/Android. This is how most developers work nowadays. (Who intend to target multiple platforms).

Android (An open source operating system) would not be a wise move for Nintendo who have historically vigilantly fought against software piracy. Taking any form of Android would open up a huge can of worms, as it would be incredibly for those "in the know" to hack the platform, and provide pirated software to all who want it. In short, it would be a very unwise decision and I sincerely doubt they would have taken it.

TLDR: Won't be android, because of security and piracy.

Source: I'm a mobile dev. (Who does not know what the NX actually is)

Good points. An Android based OS would get hacked to hell and back in no time

Tregard

Soothsayer
Wait, so would any Android game be able to springboard onto the NX if this was the case?

They could market Hearthstone as a console exclusive.

TunaLover

If the dock actually does something other than be a replacement for the battery, then I'll be more interested in what they're doing. As a handheld that plays games on the TV, I don't see what's so special about that considering that idea has been around a long time. I keep hoping that MAYBE Nintendo has a trick up their sleeve and the dock gives it a boost so that it's a normal console if you want it to be with more RAM and processing power along with USB ports for hooking up other devices. On top of that, I imagine that it will support remote and nunchucks as well.
Nintendo still can play around this 'gimmick' (like they always do), for example you are playing a RPG and you reach certain level then the game tells you 'the boss awaits for you at home', or something like that, and you will only able to fight against it when the console is docked. The idea is make the on TV play AND on the go something meaningful and interactive, kinda like Wii U secondary screen where both screen interacts each other.

KoopaTheCasual

The NX All-In-One Entertainment System™

When the news first broke, I was very much in the "I'm out" camp, since I expected the price of a hybrid to be between a console and handheld, but offer subpar performance. I can't stand playing on handhelds anymore, and figured this would basically be a high-end handheld experience at console price.

Since it's rumored that this thing is actually going to be really cheap, oddly enough, I might be back in. If its sub $200 and offers a 'decent' Nintendo experience, I'm down I guess. I'll treat it like a Vita TV of sorts, except with much better support.

Interested to see the reveal of this thing.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is really good press for them after Pokemon GO. Whether or not that game can even be played on NX (lacking GPS/Data? Niantic/Pokemon unwilling to release version? etc)

alf717

Wonder if NX will be phone size or tablet size. If this fits in your pocket and attaches to the TV this is gonna be neat.

Snakeyes

Nintendo still can play around this 'gimmick' (like they always do), for example you are playing a RPG and you reach certain level then the game tells you 'the boss awaits for you at home', or something like that, and you will only able to fight against it when the console is docked. The idea is make the on TV play AND on the go something meaningful and interactive, kinda like Wii U secondary screen where both screen interacts each other.

That would be the most intrusive gimmick yet.

otakukidd

It would be foolish to to even fork Android for the OS. Android has such weak software security that it would probably be hacked weeks after launch.

Top Bottom