• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: US GDP Contracted in Q1 2014, First Time in Three Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mii

Banned
How much can we really blame the weather?

WSJ select portions said:
The U.S. economy contracted in the first quarter of 2014, a serious—but likely brief—stumble for a recovery that has struggled to find its footing since the recession ended almost five years ago.

Gross domestic product, the broadest measure of goods and services produced across the economy, contracted at a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1% in the first three months of the year, the Commerce Department said Thursday. It was the first time economic output contracted since the first quarter of 2011, when it declined at a 1.3% pace.

"Severe weather conditions had a deeper impact on first quarter economic activity than previously estimated," said Robert Hughes, a senior research fellow at the American Institute for Economic Research. But, he said, "Much of the weakness will likely result in pent-up demand and should reverse in the second quarter."

Government economists had previously estimated GDP slowed to a 0.1% growth rate in the first quarter as harsh winter weather disrupted work sites, curtailed foot traffic at retail stores and snarled transportation networks across much of the U.S.

The newly revised estimate incorporates additional economic data released in recent weeks. Higher-than-expected imports and slower-than-expected inventory growth dragged the economy into negative territory.

But the weakness of the first quarter "was clearly exaggerated, particularly by weather effects," High Frequency Economics chief U.S. economist Jim O'Sullivan said in a note to clients. He and other economists predict the U.S. economy will bounce back in the second quarter, though it isn't clear how strong of a rebound is in the works. Gauges of industrial production, retail sales and durable-goods orders all posted solid gains in February and March before weakening in April.

U.S.-based corporations, meanwhile, posted slightly lower profits during the first quarter. The Commerce Department said corporate profits after tax, without inventory valuation and capital consumption adjustments, totaled a seasonally adjusted annual rate of $1.880 trillion for the quarter. That is down from profits of $1.905 trillion in the fourth quarter of 2013.

The three-month contraction isn't expected to herald a prolonged downturn, though it's rare for the economy to shrink outside of a recession.

[...]

Many economists had hoped 2014 would be a breakout year for growth, encouraged by an economy that grew at a 3.4% pace in the second half of 2013. Those hopes have been deferred—if not yet dashed—by the latest stretch of weakness.

Consumer spending, which accounts for more than two-thirds of U.S. economic output, grew at a 3.1% pace in the first quarter, revised up from an initial estimate of growth at a 3% pace. Spending on services, like health care and household heating, grew at a 4.3% pace while spending on physical goods rose at a more modest 0.7% pace.

[...]

U.S. exports fell at a 6% pace in the first three months of the year, a shallower fall than the initial estimate of 7.6%. But imports, which are subtracted from the GDP calculation, rose at a 0.7% pace, compared with the initial estimate that they declined at a 1.4% pace. International trade overall was a drag on the economy, with net exports subtracting 0.95 percentage point from GDP growth.

A big buildup in private inventories boosted economic growth in the third quarter of 2013, but left a hangover that weighed on growth in the first quarter of 2014. Inventories subtracted 1.62 percentage points from GDP growth, compared with an initial estimate of 0.57 percentage point subtracted from growth.

The drag from inventories may largely past at this point. "The pace of inventory-building has fallen by more than half since its [third-quarter] peak, and is now below the rate needed to keep inventory-to-sales ratios steady. That means the risk of a further significant inventory hit to [second-quarter] growth is quite small," Pantheon Macroeconomics chief economist Ian Shepherdson said in a note to clients.

Excluded from the WSJ article, and reported by Vox:

Vox said:
Even more troubling, another measure of economic growth — gross domestic income — fell by 2.3 percent last quarter. GDI and GDP should theoretically be equal to each other and broadly track together, but they rarely match up perfectly in these estimates of economic output. However, that GDI fell even more than GDP last quarter is yet more evidence that the economy really took a beating over the cold, snowy winter, and may even signal that the economy in fact shrank even more than 1.0 percent.

Blader

Polar vortex shit really killed the housing market at the beginning of this year and cut off a lot of momentum coming off 2013.

Mii

Banned
Polar vortex shit really killed the housing market at the beginning of this year and cut off a lot of momentum coming off 2013.

Latest revision slightly softened the pullback in housing. It seems the biggest contributor to this fall from the prior estimate for Q1 of flatline GDP into contraction is imports, oddly enough.

Perhaps Americans are more confident in a recovery than corporations, and felt it was time to buy more Chinese crap?

GPsych

Man, I can't believe how bad Obama has screwed us. Thank the Lords of Kobol for the Tea Party. Without them I can't imagine how much worse it would have been (probably a 10% contraction). It's just going to be worse with Hillary in office. She will continue to use HAARP to create more polar vortexes (probably in the late spring/summer even) to further destroy the U.S. economy.

The sad thing is that I have highly educated close relatives who actually believe in this nonsense. Well, minus the Lords of Kobol part.

I think this was a market re-adjustment. We're not that much better off than we were in 2009 regardless of what the numbers have told us. Just ask college grads looking for work what they've gone through trying to find a job.

Man, I can't believe how bad Obama has screwed us. Thank the Lords of Kobol for the Tea Party. Without them I can't imagine how much worse it would have been (probably a 10% contraction). It's just going to be worse with Hillary in office. She will continue to use HAARP to create more polar vortexes (probably in the late spring/summer even) to further destroy the U.S. economy.

The sad thing is that I have highly educated close relatives who actually believe in this nonsense. Well, minus the Lords of Kobol part.

I think this was a market re-adjustment. We're not that much better off than we were in 2009 regardless of what the numbers have told us. Just ask college grads looking for work what they've gone through trying to find a job.

Things are bad but let's be real: things are better now than they were in 2009 when we were literally losing 200-500k jobs a month.

Zaptruder

Banned
This is it fellas. Even propped up inflated numbers couldn't hide the reality of our situation.

The US economy (and many economies around the globe along with it) is plateauing and shrinking. Multi % growth in GDP is now a pipe dream.

The dual factors of climate change and job outsourcing and automation means that any productivity growth we experience will no longer translate to spendable money.

Ironically, the concentration of wealth is one of the more potent factors in slowing climate change issues.

JCX

The new normal for people I know (myself included) is about a year or two of unstable/underemployment before landing a solid job. Not a very fun experience.

Blader

A lot of jobs for both newly and long-term unemployed people are just gone and won't be coming back no matter what happens.

This honestly doesn't mean too much without a trend. It's not good, but Q2 will paint a real picture of how things are progressing. The weather was especially poor this year.

Mii

Banned
Nifty explanation from Vox on the difference between GDP and GDI, and why this GDI result should be concerning:

This morning we learned that GDP shrank at a 1 percent annual rate and GDI shrank at a 2.3 percent annual rate. Disturbing. And you may be even more disturbed when you learn that GDP and GDI are the exact same thing.

Weird.

The issue is that in economics there's often a difference between the economic concept you're trying to measure and the dataset that's assembled by actual human beings.

Vox said:
But in the short run, GDI is often more accurate. So when you're looking at news about the recent state of the economy, you may want to pay more attention to GDI. When you're looking at historical information or long-term trends, GDP is probably better.

I can't help but recall the budget surplus in December. Pair that with expired unemployment benefits, inclement weather, and it's quite understandable the economy contracted (from my untrained, armchair analyst perspective).

I don't think some of you guys understand how much the polar vortex impacted spending in the US.

There were many days in Madison, WI, and Minneapolis where you COULDN'T go outside, it was so cold. -40 degrees below 0 F with windchill +.

And when it wasn't -10 degrees without windchill as a high for a week, and something like 10 degrees, nobody in Madison was leaving their homes or apartments to spend money, in stores, restaurants, or the bars. It was literally too cold to spend money.

Not to mention that Chicago, meanwhile, had near-to-record snows along with the cold.

I don't think some of you guys understand how much the polar vortex impacted spending in the US.

There were many days in Madison, WI, and Minneapolis where you COULDN'T go outside, it was so cold. -40 degrees below 0 F with windchill +.

And when it wasn't -10 degrees without windchill as a high for a week, and something like 10 degrees, nobody in Madison was leaving their homes or apartments to spend money, in stores, restaurants, or the bars. It was literally too cold to spend money.

Not to mention that Chicago, meanwhile, had near-to-record snows along with the cold.

This. I could totally see the extreme weather affecting the economy.

Start worrying after next quarter if it's contracted again.

Zen

Banned

As a Canadian this is funny to read, as though people literally can not go outside at -40F/C + windchill. Plenty of countries around the world have functional economies with temperatures just as cold and colder for equivalent periods of time. While it is without a doubt that weather pattern changes will affect economies in the future, things but the temperatures in Madison are a matter of adaptation. Still, these kinds of shifts will undoubtedly have affects in the short term, which is to what you are speaking.

Mii

Banned

The revision discussed in this article from flatline GDP to -1% was primarily due to an increase in imports as well as slow inventory turn. I would assume that suggests that Americans were actively importing consumer goods despite the weather. It would also suggest that the inventory of American companies hasn't been able to sell as quickly as desired.

Average Americans seem to think things are better and are now spending on imports again. American inventory turn stagnation could suggest many things. It might mean global growth is about to slow again. It might also mean that US B2B has slowed down because American companies don't believe in recovery anymore right when American consumers began believing again.

Then throw on top of this GDI being well below GDP and you have the potential for something much bigger than weather going on. We have to wait a couple more months to know for certain.

Regardless of whether the polar vertices were the main reason, we definitely won't be meeting the rosy growth projections that were in place last year.

As a Canadian this is funny to read, as though people literally can not go outside at -40F/C + windchill. Plenty of countries around the world have functional economies with temperatures just as cold and colder for equivalent periods of time. While it is without a doubt that weather pattern changes will affect economies in the future, things but the temperatures in Madison are a matter of adaptation. Still, these kinds of shifts will undoubtedly have affects in the short term, which is to what you are speaking.

I'm sorry, but when it hurts to breathe and my eyes freeze while walking a block and a half to my car in the morning for a month, I'm calling BS on this. You also need to consider that communities that aren't prepared for -40 degree F+ windchill are not going to react the same as communities that are. It's no different than an inch of snow shutting down the city in Texas.

I do not see things ever getting back to pre 2007 levels. (not that they were all that great)
Businesses found that productivity increased with less employees, they aren't going to ignore that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom