• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF @ Genei Ibun Roku #FE 's ending (spoilers but you need to watch this)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly hate what they've done to Fire Emblem. The art for the series used to be beautiful but then from Awakening and onward it's been some generic ugly shit... and now... this. Even the cutscenes look fugly because of the style of the artwork, IMO.

Would you kindly name some series that use the same artstyle as Awakening before calling the art generic?

lord

You are aware that fairly generic prince type Lords are by far the most common in the series right ? Lyn was the deviation, not the standard.
fine, miss my point, which is that game was interesting, awakening was a teenage pandering shonen fest. I'm glad they were able to save the series and make it a successful venture for them, but I will never play them again. They ruined it.

theofficefan99

Would you kindly name some series that use the same artstyle as Awakening before calling the art generic?

It looks generic. Plain faces/lacking in detail. The stuff from older FE's had a lot of detail.

Hell I even think the CG cutscenes for Awakening and Fates are really ugly... give me back the stuff from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

kiryogi

Banned
I honestly hate what they've done to Fire Emblem. The art for the series used to be beautiful but then from Awakening and onward it's been some generic ugly shit... and now... this. Even the cutscenes look fugly because of the style of the artwork, IMO.
There is nothing generic about toi8. His use of colors and watercolors is actually very particular.

More beautiful than ever before
utQ3vSY.gif

L95

It looks generic. Plain faces/lacking in detail. The stuff from older FE's had a lot of detail.

Hell I even think the CG cutscenes for Awakening and Fates are really ugly... give me back the stuff from Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.

I honestly agree here. Especially the faces, Fates has a bit more variety, but I still think faces look really blank in terms of shading.

I do like the artwork for #FE.

kiryogi

Banned
I honestly agree here. Especially the faces, Fates has a bit more variety, but I still think faces look really blank in terms of shading.
That's more so on the CG studio, although there is a difference in style between #fe and awakening/fates. Different designers.

So, you admit it's a subjective view point of yours.

Earlier FE games didn't really have significant detail in faces either (Really I sometimes think it was the wacky hairstyles the series has used over the years, I do recall Awakening's hair being somewhat drab, I do like how hair looks in Fates though). The kinds of artstyles the series has used has really always used "clean faces" for the most part with few exceptions. I'm really not seeing your argument I'm afraid.

theofficefan99

Earlier FE games didn't really have significant detail in faces either (Really I sometimes think it was the wacky hairstyles the series has used over the years, I do recall Awakening's hair being somewhat drab, I do like how hair looks in Fates though). The kinds of artstyles the series has used has really always used "clean faces" for the most part with few exceptions. I'm really not seeing your argument I'm afraid.

#youvegottobekiddingme

4FE.png

11-RFEP01-114.jpg

fe15_1024x768.jpg

20823568fire-emblem-fates-1438982438271.png

Awakening and Fates can't be too outlandish because of the reclassing system too. The heads have to look okay on all classes they could be used on.

Astral Dog

Beautiful? Besides maybe the Wii game no FE art i would describe as "beautiful" but, imo of course :/
Edit: so you dont like the Cel Shaded CG art? Well thats other thing. I guess it might look a bit rough but its a 3DS game after all

NeonZ

Awakening and Fates have a stronger focus on facial shots for the dialogue scenes, while Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance used upper profile shots, including the entire chest and a bit of the legs. That gives more focus to the faces, which were never particularly detailed compared to the rest of the body.

Although, another detail with Awakening's art, and one that generally isn't mentioned in the middle of the all the complains about it being too anime, is that the characters have smaller eyes than in most previous art styles used by FE.

FE9_Ike_Portrait_2.png

So, for example, Chrom ends up with more empty space on his face than Ike since his eyes are plain smaller than his.

Krom_Portrait.png

theofficefan99

Awakening and Fates have a stronger focus on facial shots for the dialogue scenes, while Radiant Dawn and Path of Radiance used upper profile shots, including the entire chest and a bit of the legs. That gives more focus to the faces, which were never particularly detailed compared to the rest of the body.

Although, another detail with Awakening's art, and one that generally isn't mentioned in the middle of the all the complains about it being too anime, is that the characters have smaller eyes than in most previous art styles used by FE.

FE9_Ike_Portrait_2.png

So, for example, Chrom ends up with more empty space on his face than Ike since his eyes are plain smaller than his.

Krom_Portrait.png

That artwork is actually not too bad. Unfortunately I can't say the same for everything I've seen for Awakening and onward. Especially the CGI.

L95

Hmm
kCFP8F0.png

CG10.png

CG_Larchel.png

yeah, I think what I really like personally is faces with more shading. Even just a little bit on the cheeks really. I think if Fate's portraits had a touch more shading to the faces I'd like them a lot more.

Lunar15

Kita's art is really awesome in a fun, nostalgic way, but it's no surprise to me that they went with someone with a more modern flair.

L95

Sacred Stones still has my favorite art. I love the colors. Though, I guess some would say the colors are a bit muted.

Artur.png
yLokaWM.png

Fandangox

I tend to prefer artstyles where the eyes are smaller rather than huge, although sometimes it can work and make everything look adorable, like Song of the Sea.

What bothers me about most animes/mangas is that eyes are barely consistent within the characters in the same universe, BIG EYES are an easy way to draw children or "cute" characters, but when you also have some adult characters have similar sized eyes compared to the smaller ones it just comes off as a bit jarring.

Like you have this

latest

and then this

titania_keyartboxart_160w.jpg

then on the same universe you also have this

wayu.png

where the fuck is her nose

I am aware of the benefits of these things, just like eyebrows being see-through hair, is still one of my pet-peeves

NeonZ

That artwork is actually not too bad. Unfortunately I can't say the same for everything I've seen for Awakening and onward. Especially the CGI.

Both the Ike and Chrom arts I posted there are the profile shots uses for conversations, so they are what you see most of the time aside from the battle models.

Draxal

Kita's art is really awesome in a fun, nostalgic way, but it's no surprise to me that they went with someone with a more modern flair.

Her new work is really modern, but some of that might be adjusting to the times, or not having to pump out 90 chars.

Kaneda (6 and 7's char designer) Had the worse art imho (sword arm Ike).

Lunar15

I tend to prefer artstyles where the eyes are smaller rather than huge, although sometimes it can work and make everything look adorable, like Song of the Sea.

What bothers me about most animes/mangas is that eyes are barely consistent within the characters in the same universe, BIG EYES are an easy way to draw children or "cute" characters, but when you also have some adult characters have similar sized eyes compared to the smaller ones it just comes off as a bit jarring.

Like you have this

latest

and then this

titania_keyartboxart_160w.jpg

then on the same universe you also have this

wayu.png

where the fuck is her nose

I am aware of the benefits of these things, just like eyebrows being see-through hair, is still one of my pet-peeves

Kita's real strict on using eye size to designate age. The older characters all have much smaller eyes. Even Ike's eyes go down a bit in the transition from PoR to RD.

Fandangox

Kita's real strict on using eye size to designate age. The older characters all have much smaller eyes. Even Ike's eyes go down a bit in the transition from PoR to RD.

Yeah I know, a lot of art does this, because not adhering to that rule without making the kid characters look creepy is really hard, is just one of those things I can't stop noticing. Like you could fit 4 set of Volke eyes in Mia's eyes, is weird.

I think about these things a lot.

It doesnt help that default hero looks like shit

This is one of the few problems with the newer FE's as far as art/presentation go. A user created character is never going to be as interesting as a character that is created by the devs exactly made to fit the story. The Awakening and Fates user characters look too plain compared to other main characters in the previous games.

As for the other characters in the newer games, I don't see much of a problem. FE has always been pretty "anime", and sure the designs have changed over the years, but nothing that different from the older games.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I'm sorry but Fire Emblems designs have always been super generic, so your litterally throwing stones inside glass houses with the arguement, take a look at any 80's anime, the previous fire Emblem games were just as generic to 80's anime as current fire emblem is generic to current anime.

You simply like 80's generic in comparsion to current generic

deleted

The Fire Emblem style from the pre Awakening games all have a certain western element to their Art. There's a plain elegance to the armor, the newer versions took a book from Square-Enixs design philosophies and ran with it. Armor got more belts and looks a tad over designed now, while women got the worst of it and their armor now looks ridiculous at best.

Same thing happened to Castlevania/Bloodstained - both series lost their distinctive art style for a more modern approach. I liked both series for their distinct art styles and am now less drawn to them because of those changes.

But well, the old games with the old art are still there I guess...

Korigama

This is one of the few problems with the newer FE's as far as art/presentation go. A user created character is never going to be as interesting as a character that is created by the devs exactly made to fit the story. The Awakening and Fates user characters look too plain compared to other main characters in the previous games.

As for the other characters in the newer games, I don't see much of a problem. FE has always been pretty "anime", and sure the designs have changed over the years, but nothing that different from the older games.
Eh, both defaults for Robin and female Corrin look fairly distinct to me without being either too busy or gaudy (I didn't bother including default male Corrin because I personally don't find him particularly interesting). I don't consider them plain, but that's my take. With female Corrin having come in first among the women in Fates for that Japanese popularity poll, they must be doing something right, as far as aesthetics that resonate with their audience are concerned anyway.
Sharp Fe.
This. Part of the musical theme behind the game.

NeonZ

The Fire Emblem style from the pre Awakening games all have a certain western element to their Art. There's a plain elegance to the armor, the newer versions took a book from Square-Enixs design philosophies and ran with it. Armor got more belts and looks a tad over designed now, while women got the worst of it and their armor now looks ridiculous at best.

I don't think the armor is overdesigned. The cloth outfits are more complex, but the armors not so much. They're just odd sometimes. It was mostly a problem in Awakening with the toilet bow cavaliers and round, fat looking armors, but Fates added some odd issues of its own, like even more leotard undersuits for girls in armor (there were some in Awakening, but mostly for mounted units, like Great Knights, but now even Knights/Generals have them).

The change in armor design is actually the one art change that really bothers me about the last two games though. The worst thing is that it's unlikely to change back since it's apparently due to the art director, rather than the character designer. So, even when they go with someone else, the armor style likely won't change much, since the overall in-game presentation of FE13/14 are a clearly step up from FE9-12 (and 11/12 were disasters with that CG artwork).

I don't think the armor is overdesigned. The cloth outfits are more complex, but the armors not so much. They're just odd sometimes. It was mostly a problem in Awakening with the toiled bow cavaliers and round, fat looking armors, but Fates added some odd issues of its own, like even more leotard undersuits for girls in armor (there were some in Awakening, but mostly for mounted units, like Great Knights, but now even Knights/Generals have them).

The change in armor design is actually the one art change that really bothers me about the last two games though. The worst thing is that it's unlikely to change back since it's apparently due to the art director, rather than the character designer. So, even when they go with someone else, the armor style likely won't change much, since the overall in-game presentation of FE13/14 are a clearly step up from FE9-12 (and 11/12 were disasters with that CG artwork).

Fully agreed. That's why I like the look of the Hoshidan Females more than the Nohr Females. But Nohr Males are better than Hoshidan Males, so it evens out I guess.

Dingens

The irrational hate this game is getting is really something else...
It's like other m all over again. But even more ridiculous. It's really bewildering how the sheer existence of something can cause such reactions.

basically
#FE | OT | The worlds biggest salt mine.

sd28821

I'm sorry but Fire Emblems designs have always been super generic, so your litterally throwing stones inside glass houses with the arguement, take a look at any 80's anime, the previous fire Emblem games were just as generic to 80's anime as current fire emblem is generic to current anime.

You simply like 80's generic in comparsion to current generic

thinking about it this is pretty much it.

No more heroes
The game nobody played which is liberation maiden

Actually I think his art style is well suited for modern settings, however ill suited for Medieval fantasies. His armor design in awakening is downright UGLY, while non armor designs fail to stand out as individuals. Fate has prettier armors but still lack uniformity even in the same army. Also, poor writing did not help the characterization aspect of these two games. So it's not just his fault.

It's like other m all over again. But even more ridiculous. It's really bewildering how the sheer existence of something can cause such reactions.

basically

#FE | OT | SALT x FE

If that's Hikaru Midorikawa singing, this becomes a whole lot more hilarious.

You wonder when he was asked to voice some kid named "Marth" back in the early 90s for a two episode anime used to promote a video game, if it crossed his mind that 25 years later, he'd be singing J-Pop as that character while floating around with glowing hair.

Edit: OMG
Aside from his voice acting activities, he is also a J-Pop artist and has been a part of bands such as Zero Phoenix and E.M.U (Entertainment Music Unit) in the mid 1990s until the early 2000s.
lmao

OMG I HAD NO IDEA HE IS A J POP SINGER, IT REALLY IS HIM SINGING AHAHAA

-Horizon-

basically

NaCl48

QaaQer

basically

hate? I see disappointment, ridicule, and humour. And in reaction to that I see posts like yours attempting to shame people because apparently, to be a worthwhile human you have to respect silly sexist otaku anime j-pop idol games or something.

relax

-Horizon-

hate? I see disappointment, ridicule, and humour. And in reaction to that I see posts like yours attempting to shame people because apparently, to be a worthwhile human you have to respect silly sexist otaku anime j-pop idol games or something.

relax

There's disappointment. Then there's actively being glad and pointing out that this game deserves to fail.

Jarmel

Banned

relax

How is this sexist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom