• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

How can a CAW formula take up "space". A significant amount anyways. Isn't it just a set of values, essentially text/code/whatever, that when is called on loads those values to create the character? Even if it was thousands upon thousands of values what is that? A meg? Probably I have a gross misunderstanding on how this works, but, all the assets are on the disc. You're not creating new assets, well except for paint tool stuff, but that's a low quality image that is also only called when necessary. Do the consoles have a hard cap on how large save data can be or something?

How can there possibly be a storage limit on created wrestlers in an age when every console has at least a 500GB HDD shipping with it? Even if CAWs are saved as individual instances of a wrestler, instead of just a set of values as has been the tradition? This is something you might expect for WWF WarZone on PSX when all you had was a 1MB memory card, but... jesus I don't even get it.

How can a CAW formula take up "space". A significant amount anyways. Isn't it just a set of values, essentially text/code/whatever, that when is called on loads those values to create the character? Even if it was thousands upon thousands of values what is that? A meg? Probably I have a gross misunderstanding on how this works, but, all the assets are on the disc. You're not creating new assets, well except for paint tool stuff, but that's a low quality image that is also only called when necessary. Do the consoles have a hard cap on how large save data can be or something?

Its just bs they are saying so when they increase it next year they can say they improved the game. As far as I know saved characters would be saved on the hard drive and there shouldn't be any restriction other than the amount of hard drive space you have. PS3/360 can have 100 caws.

How can there possibly be a storage limit on created wrestlers in an age when every console has at least a 500GB HDD shipping with it? This is something you might expect for WWF WarZone on PSX when all you had was a 1MB memory card, but... jesus I don't even get it.

It could be that the overall file size for CAW, if it remained at 100, would be over some stipulated amount by the console manufacturers.

I know that NBA 2k14 had a ridiculously large file size amount and I wasn't even creating players in that game. The file size was so large that it filled up my PS+ cloud storage. So yeah, it was a problem.

I think WWE 13 had a huge file size as well that caused problems with PS+ cloud storage.

It's absolutely possible that the file size for 100 caws could be so large that it may cause an issue. That doesn't strike me as unusual considering what I've seen in the past.

I do think with better management and coding they can absolutely hit 100 though.

Even worse is with WWE having financial problems this year, having a bad game come out that will probably sell less due to these changes is going to really hurt their bottom line. Little does WWE mgmt even probably have a clue what is going on at 2K/Yukes with this game. Between the Network number situation and then add this to the pile, VKM and company are gonna have fun explaining the drop in numbers come next quarterly meeting.

How can there possibly be a storage limit on created wrestlers in an age when every console has at least a 500GB HDD shipping with it? Even if CAWs are saved as individual instances of a wrestler, instead of just a set of values as has been the tradition? This is something you might expect for WWF WarZone on PSX when all you had was a 1MB memory card, but... jesus I don't even get it.

Could be a limit set by Sony and/or Microsoft.

Rapstah

My assumption has always been that they generate a model when you save the CAW and then that model is used instead of the values that generated the model.

Edit: WWE '13 straight up allowed you to generate Bink video files in your save for custom Titantron videos, so I imagine that's why those saves could be enormous.

My assumption has always been that they generate a model when you save the CAW and then that model is used instead of the values that generated the model.

Edit: WWE '13 straight up allowed you to generate Bink video files in your save for custom Titantron videos, so I imagine that's why those saves could be enormous.

There aren't any custom titantrons or entrances this year.

Hasney

Wow.

And the worst thing is, I could deal with all that for a good gameplay engine.... But it's quite clear that's not the case.

Hey, but look on the positive side... With 25 CAWs, you don't even need to worry about the 10 download limit...

Kaiterra

Banned

I think what is probably the case is that a lot of the roster selection menus and WWE Universe data are hardcoded to refer to specific CAW list slots, so they can't dynamically add more without having to update everything else. My only real evidence for this is that if you assign a CAW to a slot that a deleted CAW was in and the deleted one had a specific rank in Universe Mode, the new one will start at that rank and a couple other similar things like that which I forget the specifics of right now. That's how it worked in the past few games anyway.

It's really sloppy and lame.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I forgot about the roster screen loading up prerenders of all your CAWs. Maybe they cap it to prevent the game from lagging and freezing there. But in that case they should just fucking change the interface since that's not how it works for main roster guys anyway.

Wow.

And the worst thing is, I could deal with all that for a good gameplay engine.... But it's quite clear that's not the case.

Hey, but look on the positive side... With 25 CAWs, you don't even need to worry about the 10 download limit...

You speak of a download limit and yet we don't even know if there is CAW sharing yet.

It's clear that models with a lot of facial hair are a problem. Sort of reminds of MLB: The Show for PS4.

We're still supposed to be getting creation suite details this today. Lets see what happens.

adj_noun

3 whole entrances posted! Enjoy the next week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2E6XKPr4s

Bryan's would be great, the YES's are perfectly timed... except when Bryan's not yessing the crowd are silent... Also the superstars talking thing from last years seems gone...

I liked that the crowd wasn't raising their hands in perfect synch. I did wish that they had some of the crowd keep YESing after he stopped that first time; chants don't usually stop dead like that, but go on one or two more successively quieter repetitions.

It kinda reminds me of how Disney figured out how to do a Johnny Depp audio animatronic that didn't look so much like it was moving robotically; people don't perform actions perfectly like machines, so the trick was essentially having the robot under or overcorrect enough to seem natural.

DynamicG

I do enjoy the hype rollercoaster we ride every year.

Not so much hype rollercoaster. It's mainly people noting how these games have historically been problematic while at the same time feigning shock when the next one in line is a disappointment.

"These games have historically sucked, let me flip my shit in shock that this next one sucks"

HT UK

It could be that the overall file size for CAW, if it remained at 100, would be over some stipulated amount by the console manufacturers.

I know that NBA 2k14 had a ridiculously large file size amount and I wasn't even creating players in that game. The file size was so large that it filled up my PS+ cloud storage. So yeah, it was a problem.

I think WWE 13 had a huge file size as well that caused problems with PS+ cloud storage.

It's absolutely possible that the file size for 100 caws could be so large that it may cause an issue. That doesn't strike me as unusual considering what I've seen in the past.

I do think with better management and coding they can absolutely hit 100 though.

Yea you're right. There are save size limits on both PS4/XB1. So they obviously couldn't find a way to compress the data enough in the time they had to finish the project. They'll sort this out next year probably.

25 CAWs does suck though, but I do believe their reasoning.

Not so much hype rollercoaster. It's mainly people noting how these games have historically been problematic while at the same time feigning shock when the next one in line is a disappointment.

"These games have historically sucked, let me flip my shit in shock that this next one sucks"

I think the move to next gen and being the first one made with 2ks full involvement gave a lot of people false hope, myself included. Then we saw the same horrible gameplay and graphics that dont look as improved as I thought they would. 2k being super secretive and not showing gameplay when the game is finished is also a cause for concern.

Me too. I think we can agree that this is best looking wrestling game ever, if nothing else.

Newsflash. The first and only wrestling game on the most powerful new systems look better graphically than the ones that came before it on systems that are 8 and 9 years old respectively.

The entrances look fine, it's the in-game graphics I'm not sold on. The Wyatt entrance video kinda implies that the models will be a lot worse than the ones you see during the entrances.

The wyatt entrance is pretty great other than that. I'm not a fan of the way the lights look in the arena, but whatever. I'll probably check in next year and hopefully all the CAW/story creator/arena bla bla stuff is back in so you can create a wyatt entrance with a custom character and have two others following them.

Newsflash. The first and only wrestling game on the most powerful new systems look better graphically than the ones that came before it on systems that are 8 and 9 years old respectively.

Just because it's expected doesn't mean it's not notable. Don't be a lemon, be a rosebud!

adj_noun

So is there a chance that the PS4 & Xbone version might be much better than the PS360 version?

It has MyCareer mode, which is the main reason I'm looking at this game now and not, say, a year from now at a hefty discount.

I'm really, really hoping that's good. If it is, it's something I've been wanting in a wrestling game since I first created a wrestler. It it's not, well, whoops on me.

So is there a chance that the PS4 & Xbone version might be much better than the PS360 version?

Yeah, there's a chance.

You can see just from the Gamescom videos that the gameplay is different from lastgen, there's much more animations, transitions, moves, etc.

Aside from the opening seconds of a match, grabs go straight into moves instead of a chain system like lastgen, which I think could make a big difference in how the game plays.

Plus stamina, crawling mechanic, etc.

strobogo

Banned
linkin_park_crawling_thumb.jpg

KissVibes

Banned
Why can't the underarms of shirts ever look decent?

Also, the lighting model or skin shader on the wrestlers makes them look weird as fuck. Like, they don't belong in the area they're in.

Wasn't there some thing where your character doesn't get up automatically now and you have to press buttons? That's cool..but it's ignoring that the AI is just going to get up 6 seconds after a hell in a cell spot. But pretty useful if you're playing with a friend and you're working together to record a match. (It happens. More fun to me than punch punch punch punch and the cheap heel tactics people use online)

Wasn't there some thing where your character doesn't get up automatically now and you have to press buttons? That's cool..but it's ignoring that the AI is just going to get up 6 seconds after a hell in a cell spot. But pretty useful if you're playing with a friend and you're working together to record a match. (It happens. More fun to me than punch punch punch punch and the cheap heel tactics people use online)

The CPU ai is so damn bad in the PS3 version. Its almost impossible to climb a ladder without them getting up and knocking you down before you get to the top. This is after hitting 2 finishers in a row and having worn them down to red. Not to mention the cheap reversals and rubber band ais that automatically makes them start coming back when they start losing.

The CPU ai is so damn bad in the PS3 version. Its almost impossible to climb a ladder without them getting up and knocking you down before you get to the top. This is after hitting 2 finishers in a row and having worn them down to red. Not to mention the cheap reversals and rubber band ais that automatically makes them start coming back when they start losing.

Sounds just like last year. Good ol' Yukes.

Yaari

I think the CAW thing is about visual memory, not HDD space. I saw the same thing occur with EA UFC. I think their have not optimized their data usage and are keeping the numbers low.

I just don't think its as simple as keeping the number low and earn a few bucks next year when they label it as a new feature.

Top Bottom