• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K16 - First Gameplay Details (IGN)

Ha, I like the spear. Looks brutal enough for me ;)

Compared to this?

rF1pAP.gif

Past

The engine they're using is more than a decade old now. They really need to build a new engine and start from scratch.

Hasney

Didn't it take 2K sports until NBA 2K13/2K14 to finally ditch the Dreamcast netcode? What a pairing!

Probably. 2k12 was the last one on PS2, so they probably did some things after that.. I can't really blame them, there's not secondary teams or anything like that like on COD or AssCreed, so they're stuck maintaining legacy code while still having to deal with the last gen versions.

I wouldn't expect a WWE '12 level change until 2k19 or whatever.

Eh, I'd take the worse looking one over those annoying teleporting specials.

Curious preference. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I never really minded the teleporting thing, because the animations were beastly enough to compensate. Exaggerated, but not too much, and they resembled the relevant performer's movements in real life.

y5z3nx.gif

these gifs all look like they are from 2k15... are these even from 2k16?

Do you think things are gonna change? They haven't fixed bugs from 4 years ago. All they do is add new wrestlers and features that they took out from previous games and alternate years adding them back in with some horrible new gameplay rotate the stick meter minigame bullshit.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Curious preference. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I never really minded the teleporting thing, because the animations were beastly enough to compensate. Exaggerated, but not too much, and they resembled the relevant performer's movements in real life.

y5z3nx.gif

I'm with you, the way waking finishers are done now is more annoying. They always wake up and dizzy their ass right next to you, so the animation barely even has the correct amount of time to finish. The spinning kick out of the corner last year was an example, most of the time it just skipped spinning because the opponent would be right in front of your face even if they started on the opposite corner. Roman Reigns' superman punch has the same problem going by the post from yesterday with all of the new animations.

edit: The superkick you added is another good example. HBK doesn't even take a full step to make the kick because Flair wandered all the way across the ring to have a chat before the kick lands. Give me off camera teleportation any day over that.

Do you think things are gonna change? They haven't fixed bugs from 4 years ago. All they do is add new wrestlers and features that they took out from previous games and alternate years adding them back in with some horrible new gameplay rotate the stick meter minigame bullshit.

vRFAWD3.gif

Hasney

y5z3nx.gif

Always annoyed the hell out of me, plus I didn't like the animation that much anyway. We had No Mercy and Day of Reckoning for better animations and didn't need to do the teleporting, the cuts were especially annoying in multi-man matches.

Still, if they brought back jumping from buildings outside and riding motorbikes, all would be forgiven from a multiplayer persepctive.

I'm with you, the way waking finishers are done now is more annoying. They always wake up and dizzy their ass right next to you, so the animation barely even has the correct amount of time to finish. The spinning kick out of the corner last year was an example, most of the time it just skipped spinning because the opponent would be right in front of your face even if they started on the opposite corner. Roman Reigns' superman punch has the same problem going by the post from yesterday with all of the new animations.

edit: The superkick you added is another good example. HBK doesn't even take a full step to make the kick because Flair wandered all the way across the ring to have a chat before the kick lands. Give me off camera teleportation any day over that.

Totally right about the Flair wandering towards him part, but that's using canned animations still but not caring on the positioning. There's no reason why Flair couldn't get up and stagger into a set position, or crawl to the ropes to pull himself up before getting in the right position for a kick to the face.

Hasney

Hahaha, I just saw a run in. Seth hit the ring during Cenas entrance, suplexed him and then it cut to the crowd. Cut back and Cena still in the same position as he was, but his entrance attire magically disappears.

Someone ask him about match creator. I understand it's not in, but I'm in denial. I can't accept this shit until I see it with my own eyes.

We've known for a couple of days now.

There are more match types in this year but it still missing some. And yeah, no match creator.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Totally right about the Flair wandering towards him part, but that's using canned animations still but not caring on the positioning. There's no reason why Flair couldn't get up and stagger into a set position, or crawl to the ropes to pull himself up before getting in the right position for a kick to the face.

Oh that would certainly be ideal, but with this series I figure we should choose the least fucked up of imperfect options as to not be let down when they choose the more fucked up of imperfect options.

Past

I wish they would go back animating entrances and moves rather than mo-capping everything. You can't just have some random indy guy mimicking Stone Cold's entrance or whatever, it never looks right.

brb, off to find a used copy on Amazon

Absolutely not, I can't reward this glitchy nonsense. I have 2K14 on PS3 and will be sticking with that until my HCTP order comes in. This series needs a complete overhaul.

After how sluggish the newer games are, it's refreshing playing a fast-paced wrestling game (with better animations).

Ryce

That's a fictitious character called "The Enforcer." Tyson was the big surprise character in WWE '13, and it probably wasn't worth the cost to license him again this year for a brief cameo. That or Tyson turned 2K down.

shanafan

Just wait for Black Friday. This one will be $29 if you have to support them.

That's what I am thinking.. but not sure I can hold out until then.

I've always had a lot of fun with the wrestling games, and never saw them dip in quality each year. I like the roster updates, as well as the Hall of Famers each year. I am pretty excited for 2K16, especially for the new Universe mode and the SCSA 2K showcase.

Lol is this for real? They put the match in with a bootleg Tyson? Please tell me this is from WWE 13

Seriously. They get the fucking terminator and can't get Tyson for the mode that the game is featured around. Shitty ass company. Also graphics still look PS3 level if it was upscaled to 1080p.

Soltype

Damn that's horrible. Also there is a youtube channel with most or all of the Austin mode up. Still looks horrible as usual.

I just watched a few chapters and it's terrible.The worst part is they bring you down memory lane with the real footage intros, then you see the game right after and it's so underwhelming.

I just watch a few chapters and it's terrible.The worst part is they bring you down memory lane with the real footage intros, then you see the game right after and it's so underwhelming.

I know, the damn horrible low polygon crowd they keep doing close ups of, the horrible animations, hit detection, selling, and general flow of gameplay. Bad in every way. There isn't a redeeming quality in this game other than it having the license and actual wrestlers in it although they look like bootleg caw's with their horrible faces and designs.

Had another look at Austin's real WM13 entrance, and I didn't think 2K/Yukes could get any fucking lazier when it came to actually emulating his movements. Jeeeesus. It's even worse than the previous animation that they'd been reusing since 2006.

KrxZb8.gif

GravyButt

Had another look at Austin's real WM13 entrance, and I didn't think 2K/Yukes could get any fucking lazier when it came to actually emulating his movements. Jeeeesus. It's even worse than the previous animation that they'd been reusing since 2006.

KrxZb8.gif
wow that's horrible. Like wow.

KrxZb8.gif

I have to think Yukes just hates wrestling, never watches it anymore, and doesn't give a shit to do any actual research into the game they make each year.

There needs to be a new wrestling game to make some competition.

i miss their old action engine. Alot faster. Very arcadey but it made it alot of fun. (felt more like a fighting game than a wrestling game but still.

Top Bottom