• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K18 joins the loot box family

2K has always a greedy ass company thats owned by arguably this worst company in the industryk, Take 2.

I'm alluding to NFL 2K5, which was actually published by SEGA about a year before Visual Concepts (now 2K Sports) was acquired by T2. That was a game that a lot of people lauded for striking at the Madden juggernaut and being better in many respects. Now they hold the monopoly in basketball and pro wrestling sims and they're even worse.

GHG

Gold Member
Yes! We won guys.

The devs will finally be able to afford Waygu Steaks from the best restaurants in town.

hbkdx12

"Confined to only one game mode"

That's called "testing the waters", folks.

This. A million times, this

Said this a while ago in the Shadow of War thread:

As for the bolded, I feel like that's the stance we used to have with games in general. I guess what I'm saying is that I feel like we're moving the goalposts to actually make it easier for shit like this to happen by making distinctions that otherwise would be unnecessary.

A lot of gamers are quick to handwave away this kind of stuff by using the "It's just" rationalization. It's just cosmetics. It's just affects this one mode. It's just there for people that want to save time. We need to draw a firm line in the sand rather than allowing it to become more and more pervasive by excusing it.

a6030d9718df129b49eaa3ffb5adcc20.gif

Ah yes, including features that fans have been begging for years for. Story designer and mixed matches? Nah. Loot boxes that only benefit the publisher? Yes!

El_Cinefilo

tenor.gif

Edit: I'm aware there's no micro transactions yet. But you're kidding yourself if you don't believe they're coming.

dark_chris

Hate loot boxes. First you had DLC and now loot boxes. Next theyre gonna give you 80% of the story and charge for the rest.
Fuck this industry

BigEmil

If this game was F2P and Multiplayer only then I would accept this

But it's not. It's a full retail $60 game fuck off

Sephzilla

> WWE games which have declined in quality and have stripped out features on and off for years now
> Can't import CAWs from previous version
> A gross DLC/season pass scheme
> Locking active wrestlers and finishers behind paywalls
> Loot boxes

It's like 2K/WWE is actively trying to make this game as unwantable as possible

lol @ thinking amiibo aren't as bad as loot boxes
> WWE games which have declined in quality and have stripped out features on and off for years now
> Can't import CAWs from previous version
> A gross DLC/season pass scheme
> Locking active wrestlers and finishers behind paywalls
> Loot boxes

It's like 2K/WWE is actively trying to make this game as unwantable as possible

marks will still buy it, for reasons

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Will these Loot Boxes make Roman Look Strong!

That is true selling point of this game

Jmille99

I wonder if we still get boxes when their garbage online drops the match.

Because if they rob me of getting the Stone Cold with snakes for arms shirt...

Stygr

Banned
Still waiting for that RDR2 lootbox with a shiny revolver.

Borderlands 3 will be full of this shit, lootboxes for weapons, skins, perks and god knows what else.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.

Borderlands 3 will be full of this shit, lootboxes for weapons, skins, perks and god knows what else.

Want to kill that Bear, sorry thats in the Diamond Safe version of RDRII Loot Boxes

Bronze Safe has the fox traps
Silver Safe has the wolf traps (also catch foxes)
Gold Safe has the gator traps (can catch everything below)
Diamond Safe is bear trap (catches anything)

5 Diamond Safes only $4.99, oh you get 10 Traps as possible reward and their consumable

GHG

Gold Member

You just know they are going to ruin BL3 with this shite.

This will absolutely be a microtransactions mode next year. They have all of the foundation for it:

https://twitter.com/WWEgames/status/914871133006061568?s=09

The middle of that video shows you purchasing moves using in game virtual currency. This year, it's all stuff you earn in the game, next year, it'll definitely be stuff you earn in the game with the ability to purchase mode.

This is fucking ruining games, ruining the immersion of what a career mode should be. XP is one thing. You earn XP from winning matches (or something) and that XP is used to give your character better attributes. But when you earn credits which you use to unlock the ability to perform a maneuver, and you can buy those with cash ... It breaks the concept of what a career mode is.

Top Bottom