• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K21 Video Game Reportedly Cancelled

Bullet Club

WWE 2K21 Video Game Reportedly Cancelled

WWE 2K20 was full of mistakes and multiple patches couldn’t clear everything up. 2K might not get a chance to correct things with a folow-up this year.

Justin Leeper, former writer of Road To WrestleMania modes in multiple WWE video games has some bad news. He previously provided a ton of inside information on why WWE 2K20 was such a big mess. Now he has worse news for WWE 2K21.

“I have heard from reliable sources and I truly believe that WWE 2K21 has been cancelled. There will be no game this year.”
WrestleMania generally brought some kind of video game announcement or commercial for the next video game. That didn’t happen this time around. There was a ton of news surrounding WrestleMania 36, but none of it was video game related.

Leeper went on to say “that’s not a bad thing, that’s a good thing.” WWE 2K20 had a ton of issues. Taking a year off might provide them the time to develop something better. Leeper mentioned that he once pitched making the WWE video games a live service with updates instead of a new game every year.

It has not been officially confirmed that WWE 2K21 is cancelled yet. 2K Games has not commented on it as of this writing. Justin Leeper worked on WWE video games for a long time and his sources inside the WWE video game world have been solid in the past.

xrnzaaas

They should've cancelled 2K20 edition, especially since they knew for a long time it's going to be a heavily rushed and flawed product. I'm glad that at least some people woke up and didn't blindly buy another game.

GreatnessRD

This makes sense after the disaster that was 2K20 and Visual Concepts having absolutely no idea what they were doing. It would be even worse moving onto the net-gen consoles and the game being even worse. I have zero faith in them, but hopefully, the extra time helps them make a better game in 2K22. 2K trash ass should keep the 2K19 servers up and running until the next game comes out. Especially since a ton of people aren't playing 2K20. We'll see though.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It's now official, WWE 2K21 will not be released

Kurt Angle says Nooooo!
kurt-angle-01.jpg

Max_Po

Banned
I couldn't tell you when the last okay WWE game was. 2011? 12? The series has been garbage at 2K.

When 2K label was added to Smack-down I thought we will finally get super amazing presentation like NBA 2K .... I didn't realize the while franchise would turn to shit.

I am back to WWE Smackdown HCTP and vs RaW games on PS2. I think I did enjoy 2k16 as it had all of Stone Cold's career highlights...

Any ways, I hope someone else develops the next games.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Amazing how the PS2 era and early parts of last gen 2k Sports were all the rage. Fast forward and the only key game left is NBA2K which has been turned into a microtransaction and v-currency infested game, most of their other sports games disappeared or turned into shit (especially baseball and hockey), and the only other sports game left (wrestling) is also shit.

I remember on their 2k Sports site back then they used to plaster on the home page ratings scores between a 2k games and EA's game when the 2k game got higher avg scores. lol

Appleprosy

When 2K label was added to Smack-down I thought we will finally get super amazing presentation like NBA 2K .... I didn't realize the while franchise would turn to shit.

I am back to WWE Smackdown HCTP and vs RaW games on PS2. I think I did enjoy 2k16 as it had all of Stone Cold's career highlights...

Any ways, I hope someone else develops the next games.

There's always Fire Pro Wrestling.

azz0r

Banned
Happy and unhappy about this.

At the very least they could release a few patches to 2020 to tide us over

Go back to a more arcadeish gameplay, Smackdown Vs Raw games, and Day of reckoning 2 still are the best wrestling games ever made
Obviously imho, but there is no need to chase realism, it only makes the game more clunky

Gameplay in arcade games was smooth and fun as hell

Last edited:

GodofWhimsy

I'll go against the grain a bit here and say I prefer having a semi-accurate wrestling sim, but I don't think the current team has the talent, time nor ambition to make it work. There seems to be the bare minimum work done on each entry. Maybe having an extra year of time could result in an improved product, but I doubt it when 2K's in charge.

- Make an actual fleshed out career mode, with plenty of room for choice in how your wrestler develops his character and abilities. Throw in a few branching story paths and fun, varied match types into the mix and I'm happy.

- OVERHAUL THE ACTUAL DAMN WRESTLING MECHANICS. It feels like I'm wrestling underwater most of the time and the amount of jank in the movement animations belongs on the 5th gen.

- Bring back management mode. Pretty much everyone liked it. And seeing as we'll most likely be on PS5 by the time 2K22 is out, make it more in-depth. Shouldn't be too much of a strain.

- Also bring back create a championship and create a finisher. Don't understand why they would strip back on favourably reviewed features in the first place.

Last edited:

GodofWhimsy

Um, they did bring back create-a-belt. It's been around since like 2k16.

The feature was absent for so long in the past I completely forgot they brought it back. I still wouldn't be surprised if they did decide to take it out. So, yeah, don't do that 2K.

Last edited:
They should seriously just repackage last year's version without the crowd in the background and call it WWE2k1: Covid Edition.

Top Bottom