• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Fastlane 2016 |OT| Roundabout to Wrestlemania

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjim89

No, WWE needs stars.

Wrestling is star-based, always was and always will be. Young or old stars, doesn't matter.

That we've come to call Dean Ambrose, at 30 years old, "not exactly fresh as a daisy". Hulk Hogan was almost 40 when winning his first WWE title.
Shinsuke Nakamura is just arriving at age 35 or 36, should he just be a guy because he's not 24?

I mean, I can tell you right now Shinsuke Nakamura won't be a main eventer when he gets to the main roster. Mostly that's because WWE is racist, but his age is probably a contributing factor in the minds of the decision makers. Hell, his age will probably be a reason given to cover up for their racism.

"Young or old stars, doesn't matter" is the kinda thinking that got WCW in trouble. It's the kinda thinking that the likes of AJ and Joe left TNA because of. Why nurture your own home grown stars or raise up new people when you can bring in somebody who's long established and put the belt on them?

Why not bring The Rock back and give him the title? Sure, he can only pop up three times a year and he'll probably get injured after every match he's had, but he's a STAR!

Why not hold a fifth of vodka and a bottle of painkillers out the door and wait for Kurt Angle to show up and put the belt on him? Sure, his best years are long behind him and TMZ surely already has a "Kurt Angle, Wrestling Superstar, Tragically Dies" piece saved in their drafts just in case, but the man is a STAR!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
That doesn't work, it didn't work last year with pual and it work this year.

What will actually happen is Roman will deliver cringe-worthy shit promos for 5 weeks and get booed mercilessly while we laugh through Haitch promos saying "we don't want a guy like you as champ."

Tom Nook

ds0jRGn.gif

I'm dumb as fuck

Verendus

Banned
What will actually happen is Roman will deliver cringe-worthy shit promos for 5 weeks and get booed mercilessly while we laugh through Haitch promos saying "we don't want a guy like you as champ."
Nah, nah friend.

What's going to happen is Roman Reigns is going to wreck Jimmy Haitch week after week after week, while all Jimmy does is talk about how he's the Game-ah, and the King of Kings-ah, and that he's headlining Wrasslin'Mania-ah.

Balee dat.

I trust in the Haitch. He was the biggest reason that angle with Bryan was so amazing. If he messes up here, guy deserves a slap to the face behind the scenes courtesy of his abusive wife.

I mean, I can tell you right now Shinsuke Nakamura won't be a main eventer when he gets to the main roster. Mostly that's because WWE is racist, but his age is probably a contributing factor in the minds of the decision makers. Hell, his age will probably be a reason given to cover up for their racism.

"Young or old stars, doesn't matter" is the kinda thinking that got WCW in trouble. It's the kinda thinking that the likes of AJ and Joe left TNA because of. Why nurture your own home grown stars or raise up new people when you can bring in somebody who's long established and put the belt on them?

Why not bring The Rock back and give him the title? Sure, he can only pop up three times a year and he'll probably get injured after every match he's had, but he's a STAR!

Why not hold a fifth of vodka and a bottle of painkillers out the door and wait for Kurt Angle to show up and put the belt on him? Sure, his best years are long behind him and TMZ surely already has a "Kurt Angle, Wrestling Superstar, Tragically Dies" piece saved in their drafts just in case, but the man is a STAR!

Pushing Hogan and Savage out the door when they had a good 10 years left just because they were getting close to 40 is almost what killed the WWE in the first place.

Ithil

WWE can be picky with the age of their stars when they actually have some to be picky about.

Kurt Angle is a physical wreck who drove his body into the ground. AJ Styles is not, he's just fine.
AJ was in New Japan for less than two years, yet he was a top guy there, and had a great run. Guys don't need to be, and in WWE with its extreme overexposure of everyone, shouldn't be on top for years and years.

Kuroyume

Banned
I think Ambrose gets pops mainly because he's driving people through tables or giving them chair shots. Seems like there's always a broken announcer's table in match he's in.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's basically been proven over the last thirty years that 35-40 are the prime years of main event wrestlers. That's when they all seem to really get all the tricks of the trade down pat.

You have a guy the some fans don't like. Make him a heel.

Fixed that for ya'. Drawing fans on house shows. #2 in merch (and yes, I know, it's a conspiracy that only his shirts are available. Or maybe accept the truth, that the last time in your town, they only sold three Kevin Owens shirts or whatever and they sold out of Roman merch, so they planned accordingly.)

Because Brock was face with the crowd, big difference

Yeah, I don't think the backlash against Roman will be as strong this year, because he's facing a B+ Player™ instead of Bork, who was (and still is) over as fuck.

Fixed that for ya'. Drawing fans on house shows. #2 in merch (and yes, I know, it's a conspiracy that only his shirts are available. Or maybe accept the truth, that the last time in your town, they only sold three Kevin Owens shirts or whatever and they sold out of Roman merch, so they planned accordingly.)

You're trying too hard. Every one of your posts makes you come across as some contrarian smark who has to call other people smarks to feel some self-validation. At least Dream can be funny at times. You're just obnoxious. And ignored.

Ithil

Do you own majority shares or something?

justjim89

I think I'll cry happy tears when Roman finally drops his Shield gear, entrance and theme.

Roman, please.

That's probably not gonna happen, because normal wrestling gear isn't terribly flattering on him. He'll always have to be more covered up, and maintaining The Shield look is the last piece of connective tissue to when people actually liked him.

Do you own majority shares or something?

If you want to make an argument against Roman based on your personal opinions about wrestling skill or how you want wrestling to be portrayed, so be it. We may disagree, but that's a personal opinion.

But, when you make an argument based on business, such as the fans are turning on him, I'm going to respond with the facts of the matter. You have the right to your own opinion about the WWE's booking acumen, but not their financial prowess.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nah, nah friend.

What's going to happen is Roman Reigns is going to wreck Jimmy Haitch week after week after week, while all Jimmy does is talk about how he's the Game-ah, and the King of Kings-ah, and that he's headlining Wrasslin'Mania-ah.

Balee dat.

I trust in the Haitch. He was the biggest reason that angle with Bryan was so amazing. If he messes up here, guy deserves a slap to the face behind the scenes courtesy of his abusive wife.

Paul couldn't get Roman over or make the angle interesting but somehow HHH is going to

does not compute

Verendus

Banned
Paul couldn't get Roman over or make the angle interesting but somehow HHH is going to

does not compute
Paul hasn't made anything interesting since he was on commentary back in 2001 and killing Vincent McMahon. Jimmy Haitch is a hell of a lot better. And Roman is already over with plenty of folks. The fans that don't like him now aren't ever going to like him. It's the Joan Cena effect. Not really that complicated. They'll just eventually begrudgingly accept his position just like they did with friend Cena.

No, WWE needs stars.

Wrestling is star-based, always was and always will be. Young or old stars, doesn't matter.

That we've come to call Dean Ambrose, at 30 years old, "not exactly fresh as a daisy". Hulk Hogan was almost 40 when winning his first WWE title.
Shinsuke Nakamura is just arriving at age 35 or 36, should he just be a guy because he's not 24?

He was 31 not almost 40

Paul hasn't made anything interesting since he was on commentary back in 2001. Jimmy Haitch is a hell of a lot better. And Roman is already over. The fans that don't like him now aren't ever going to like him. It's the Joan Cena effect. Not really that complicated.

+1.

I mean, let's be honest here. Heyman's a great promo aesthetically, but he's never been a great money drawing promo, at least in his WWE run. Brock isn't more or less over because of Heyman's promos, it's just more entertaining than Brock smashing people - after all, 'SUPLEX CITY' is a bigger meme than anything Paul has said. And the less said about his run with Punk, Cesaro, or anybody else, the better.

You're trying too hard. Every one of your posts makes you come across as some contrarian smark who has to call other people smarks to feel some self-validation. At least Dream can be funny at times. You're just obnoxious. And ignored.

The truth must be spoken. Even if it's ignored and found wanting by those blinded by faith.

Sephzilla

If you want to make an argument against Roman based on your personal opinions about wrestling skill or how you want wrestling to be portrayed, so be it. We may disagree, but that's a personal opinion.

But, when you make an argument based on business, such as the fans are turning on him, I'm going to respond with the facts of the matter. You have the right to your own opinion about the WWE's booking acumen, but not their financial prowess.

Fact: He's the number 2 seller at a time when a bunch of top stars are either injured or retiring, and ratings are at pre Attitude Era lows. Let's not pretend the rise of Roman Reigns is without giant asterisks.

Verendus

Banned
Fact: He's the number 2 seller at a time when a bunch of top stars are either injured or retiring, and ratings are at pre Attitude Era lows. Let's not pretend the rise of Roman Reigns is without giant asterisks.
Oh god.

This terrible argument. I cringe whenever I see people try and talk business on here.

Ithil

Oh god.

This terrible argument. I cringe whenever I see people try and talk business on here.

Now you know how everyone feels reading your Balee Dat posts.

EDIT: That seems overly harsh reading it back. But they're really not funny, if that's what they're supposed to be.

Biggest revenue quarter in history, one of the biggest YT channels in the world, and who knows how many people are watching via Hulu. Talking about the ratings on Monday being the only thing that matters is useless - especially when they're still the #1 show on USA by a long shot and one of the Top 10 shows on Cable the vast majority of weeks.

I already corrected myself. In any case, I would far rather 38 year old Styles than 28 year old Styles.
38 year old Styles is a better performer.

Hogan was 38 in 1991, so lets not act like he didn't have a number of years ahead of him regardless.

Flair didn't go to the WWE until he was 42. He was AJ's age in 1987. He didn't even have the Steamboat matches until he was 40.

Sephzilla

Biggest revenue quarter in history, one of the biggest YT channels in the world, and who knows how many people are watching via Hulu. Talking about the ratings on Monday being the only thing that matters is useless - especially when they're still the #1 show on USA by a long shot and one of the Top 10 shows on Cable the vast majority of weeks.
Which has nothing to do with Roman Reigns.

Ratings sure seem to dive though when his segments pop up. It's not entirely Romans fault though. He's a victim of WWE's awful booking.

People only say ratings don't matter when it blows a hole in their argument. Roman doesn't bring in new audience members at all.

no full timers on the roster currently would. I don't believe that Dean Ambrose or AJ Styles in Roman's spot would make a bit of difference to ratings. Granted this has a lot to do with how they have been booked/developed, but this applies to Roman as well. WWE as a whole is a fairly niche product right now. That's not Roman's fault or problem, what's happening with Roman is just a result of an incompetently ran product.

People only say ratings don't matter when it blows a hole in their argument. Roman doesn't bring in new audience members at all.

Nobody on the current roster is going to being new audience members in. Not Owens. Not Styles. Not Nakamura. Not Cesaro. Not Rollins. And yes, not Reigns.

The people who brought wrestling into the mainstream aren't interested in good matches. They got interested in wrestling because it was entertaining trash, like Jerry Springer. They like the unprotected chairshots, the bra 'n' panties matches, and the swearing and middle fingers. They aren't going to clap appreciatively for a Sasha vs. Becky chain wrestling sequence, they'll be chanting Show Your Tits!

Which has nothing to do with Roman Reigns.

Ratings sure seem to dive though when his segments pop up.

Hey, I thought the guy who should've won at WM 30 was the guy who was the last wrestler to draw five million + viewers to an hour of pro wrestling.

Ithil

lol is this a WWE press release?

Penguin

Does really feels like you memorized their recent financial call response!

Sephzilla

no full timers on the roster currently would. I don't believe that Dean Ambrose or AJ Styles in Roman's spot would make a bit of difference to ratings. Granted this has a lot to do with how they have been booked/developed, but this applies to Roman as well. WWE as a whole is a fairly niche product right now. That's not Roman's fault or problem, what's happening with Roman is just a result of an incompetently ran product.
You're not wrong here, at all. The last big star WWE had that could actually bring people in was Punk, maybe Bryan. But WWE screwed the pooch on both those.

It's still partially Romans fault though. They're tried almost every type of promo for Roman and he makes almost all of them suck. He's not exactly strong in certain areas that could help bring people in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom