• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Network Reaches 1 Million Subscriber Milestone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

The WWE Network has surpassed 1 million subscribers, 11 months after its launch, WWE said Tuesday.

“We’re thrilled that we’ve surpassed the 1 million subscriber milestone less than a year after launching WWE Network and in advance of ‘WrestleMania,’ our biggest event of the year on March 29,” said WWE chairman and CEO Vince McMahon. “We remain focused on delivering an outstanding value proposition for ours fans by adding new content and new features in the coming year.”

At the end of October, the network had 731,000 subscribers, according to WWE, with 28,000 coming from foreign markets.

Since then, the WWE Network has launched in the United Kingdom.

It signed up 31,000 new subscribers during the third quarter, but lost 255,000 after the initial six-month commitment ended.

WWE has dropped that six-month requirement in order to increase subscriptions, which cost $9.99 a month. It offered a free month in November, as part of a trial period.
http://variety.com/2015/digital/news/wwe-network-reaches-1-million-subscriber-milestone-1201416286/

Meanwhile this was trending for the past 2 days

nmqZTMe.png

T.A.L

I believe that number is from before the Rumble. Even still that's a lot of eyes on that train wreck Sunday

Paracelsus

Yeah, probably before the Rumble, damage control statement. I guess that was their plan B if Rock failed, which he did.

Here is the deal. I have it.. and to be honest.. it's not a bad deal. You get a pay per view a month as well as the NXT shows (that is what I watch), and you have all of the back log stuff as well. If you buy 1 pay per view a year its roughly 4-6 months of the network. So, the network is not a bad deal at all, and they will continue to grow it as well.

Welp. This is well timed news if I've ever seen it.

It's actually a pretty good deal. They have had some really good content on their as of late. Monday Night Wars, Stone Cold podcast special and that new 24/7 Wrestlemania show are all solid.

It's just too bad their current story telling is garbage. I will still tune in for the monthly PPV though.

I will go back and watch some old WCW once in a while. Overall, it has been worth it for me.

kirblar

Yup, this is pre-Rumble- especially since you got two PPVs in the 30-day period if you enrolled the day-of and cancelled immediately.

Congrats to WWE.

These streaming subscriber models do really work. I'm a subscriber to NHL's Gamecenter Live subscription service for NHL games.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Here is the deal. I have it.. and to be honest.. it's not a bad deal. You get a pay per view a month as well as the NXT shows (that is what I watch), and you have all of the back log stuff as well. If you buy 1 pay per view a year its roughly 4-6 months of the network. So, the network is not a bad deal at all, and they will continue to grow it as well.
Depends on your needs. It gives me what I want for 9.99, no matter how bad their recent PPV may be. And the Royal Rumble PPV was absolutely worth it. That championship match was breathtaking and full of drama.

This doesn't reflect current quarter activity; the fallout from the Rumble (if any) would be reflected in the next quarterly report.
Oh, I see. They just reported this news much later than it happened. Interesting. I'd like to see if in the next quarter if there is a smaller number of new subs, and if so, how significant the margin is. Both as a result of a potentail from the rumble, and in terms of just how many people have already subbed that have any interest in WWE.

kingocfs

I haven't watched wrestling regularly since maybe 2005 and I subbed to watch the Rumble for some reason. I will most likely cancel it before the end of the month, though.

jred2k

They've had this press release ready since they hit 990,000 subscribers. They had one person just sit and watch the counter go up so they could hit enter at the exact second they reacher 1,000,000.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I subscribed just for the Rumble as it's the one PPV that I always usually enjoy, and cancelled after. I considered keeping my subscription through WM, but the quality of the event (aside from the title match) convinced me otherwise. Probably won't even bother watching February's PPV even though I'll still have access to it.

Purexed

Banned
Well deserved, I feel they are starting to hit their stride with the content pieces. Really enjoy NXT, the PPVs, and even the new WWE 24 series.

What happened at the Rumble to make people cancel?
This is coming from someone who doesn't know a ton about wrestling, but from all I've heard it seems as though it was due to generally pushing the winner of the rumble, Romen Reigns into a main event match at Wrestlemania. The WWE is trying to create artificial hype with a guy who doesn't have enough experience yet, and needs some practice on his mic work.

They also pushed out certain competitors at odd times. It was very apparent who was going to win the rumble after some time. It just wasn't fun to watch at the end.

Ravager61

As much as I think the current WWE product is absolute dogshit, I still subscribe to the Network. I really like watching old content and I think a lot of the original documentary type shows they put on there are really entertaining. Plus, NXT great.

I wish they would put more Nitros and Attitude Era Raw's on there though. At some point, I'll run out of stuff I want to watch NXT isn't enough to keep me since I can watch it on Hulu.

Couleurs

This is coming from someone who doesn't know a ton about wrestling, but from all I've heard it seems as though it was due to generally pushing the winner of the rumble, Romen Reigns into a main event match at Wrestlemania. The WWE is trying to create artificial hype with a guy who doesn't have enough experience yet, and needs some practice on his mic work.

Pretty much that; Reigns was liked before this but is nowhere close to being ready for the main event; meanwhile the guy fans overwhelmingly wanted to win (Daniel Bryan) was quickly eliminated mid match, with all of the other smark darlings (Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler; Bray Wyatt to a lesser extent) being unceremoniously dumped out like sacks of shit by the Big Show and Kane which people took as a "fuck you, you'll cheer who we want you to cheer for". Oh and all of this is a repeat of last years Rumble where Daniel Bryan wasn't even put in the match and Batista was given the win despite fans not giving a shit about him.

Basically people are reaching the breaking point and are getting fed up with the WWE being tone deaf and pushing the guys they want despite fans rejecting them.

Whether or not the cancellations happened in large enough numbers to get their attention remains to be seen.

Fox318

As much as I think the current WWE product is absolute dogshit, I still subscribe to the Network. I really like watching old content and I think a lot of the original documentary type shows they put on there are really entertaining. Plus, NXT great.

I wish they would put more Nitros and Attitude Era Raw's on there though. At some point, I'll run out of stuff I want to watch NXT isn't enough to keep me since I can watch it on Hulu.

They need to upload some of the documentaries they have made like The Mania of WrestleMania

I guess most of them subscribed for rewatching the attitude era.

Most probably subscribed because they wanted to watch a PPV at some point and $9.99 is cheaper than $50. Even if a portion cancel after the PPV airs I am sure there is a certain amount of retention month over month of those new subscribers.

With no 6-month commitment anymore, I'd expect subscriber numbers to shoot up around Rumble and Mania time. $9.99 for Mania is pretty insane.

I hope all new subscribers tune into the next NXT Takeover special on February 11th! WWE's best product.

I subbed with the intention of just doing the free month but they timed it well to where I said "it's only $10 I might as well keep it for the Royal Rumble" and now "it's only $10 I might as well keep it for Wrestlemania" but unless I'm blown away I'll probably get rid if it after that. The rest of the content does nothing for me. That Monday Night Wars show is like 4 hours worth of content stretched to 13 or however many eps they did. NXT is good but not enough to keep me on its own. We'll see.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
It's too bad they never tell you how much it costs :(

Ravager61

Offering in UK, dropping 6-month commitment, and free month in November all helped to temporarily inflate their subscriber rate. I suspect it to tank after Wrestlmania honestly. Especially if the product itself continues to be bad. A poor Wrestlemania showing, which seem extremely likely after the poor Rumble, almost guarantees that the numbers will tank come May.

That's my take on it anyway.

Pretty much that; Reigns was liked before this but is nowhere close to being ready for the main event; meanwhile the guy fans overwhelmingly wanted to win (Daniel Bryan) was quickly eliminated mid match, with all of the other smark darlings (Dean Ambrose and Dolph Ziggler; Bray Wyatt to a lesser extent) being unceremoniously dumped out like sacks of shit by the Big Show and Kane which people took as a "fuck you, you'll cheer who we want you to cheer for". Oh and all of this is a repeat of last years Rumble where Daniel Bryan wasn't even put in the match and Batista was given the win despite fans not giving a shit about him.

Basically people are reaching the breaking point and are getting fed up with the WWE being tone deaf and pushing the guys they want despite fans rejecting them.

Whether or not the cancellations happened in large enough numbers to get their attention remains to be seen.

You'll never go broke giving the fans exactly what they want.

Oh wait, yes you will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom