• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Raw Ratings: Viewership Hits Record Low

Heroman

Banned
We comparing a once in a lifetime talent like Dusty to Kevin Owens now? Hahaha this is exactly why wrasslin numbers are in the tank
Judging by what you said Dusty couldn't have been a star or "believable" due to the fact he was fat which clearly​ is false.

There nothing particularly different about KO and Dusty outside of ko being a much better wreslter.

Sephzilla

We comparing a once in a lifetime talent like Dusty to Kevin Owens now? Hahaha this is exactly why wrasslin numbers are in the tank

What do you feel about the superstar who went into WrestleMania as the WWE Champion - Bray Wyatt ?

His point is that physical appearance doesn't matter much so long as you have talent and charisma.

Case in point - his son Cody has a way better look but has a fraction of the talent and charisma of his dad.

hamchan

I can't believe they gave the championship to Lesnar again when 3 years ago they had the exact same problem of the champ never appearing on TV, and Seth Rollins basically having to act as a surrogate champ with his Money in the Bank.

Judging by what you said Dusty couldn't have been a star or "believable" due to the fact he was fat which clearly​ is false.

What made Dusty special was the fact that he was perhaps the most charismatic figure in wrestling history that little caveat more than made up for his overweight look.

Let me know when Owens has a "hard times" level promo that hits the mainstream and makes waves beyond the mark audience who's watching the product regardless

What do you feel about the superstar who went into WrestleMania as the WWE Champion - Bray Wyatt ?

Bray Wyatt is great, because he's a great CHARACTER, too bad he hasn't been booked like the Undertaker and protected, he would've been a much bigger deal that he already is

Sephzilla

Bray Wyatt is great, because he's a great CHARACTER, too bad he hasn't been booked like the Undertaker and protected, he would've been a much bigger deal that he already is

So Bray Wyatt is believable despite his character having literal supernatural powers but Kevin Owens isn't believable. I'm starting to think the issue you have with Kevin Owens has nothing to do with his body type.

Heroman

Banned
What made Dusty special was the fact that he was perhaps the most charismatic figure in wrestling history that little caveat more than made up for his overweight look.

Let me know when Owens has a "hard times" level promo that hits the mainstream and makes waves beyond the mark audience who's watching the product regardless
One hard times wasn't that main stream at all , like it wasn't a fantastic promo but did little to help Mid south.

And ko is probably one of the best talkers in the world, put him in day era he would do amazingly good.

So Bray Wyatt is believable despite his character having literal supernatural powers but Kevin Owens isn't believable. I'm starting to think the issue you have with Kevin Owens has nothing to do with his body type.

Wrasslin is fake, it's about entertainment, great workers don't draw a dime or the casual viewer

Owens doesn't have some unique look to him like Wyatt, he just looks like some fat slob who can do high spots, that may have worked with the ROH crowd but obviously not on any mainstream level.

Sephzilla

Wrasslin is fake, it's about entertainment, great workers don't draw a dime or the casual viewer

Owens doesn't have some unique look to him like Wyatt, he just looks like some fat slob who can do high spots, that may have worked with the ROH crowd but obviously not on any mainstream level.

I know, he's working so badly that Vince books him on pretty much every PPV. He's flopped so hard that Vince put him on more PPVs in his first year with the company than he did with the fucking Undertaker.

Also I don't understand your logic. You don't like KO because you don't think he's believable, but then you defend Bray Wyatt because wrestling is fake?

pHYWJKQ.gif

You're trying to argue about the look of KO when you're arguing how much better Dusty was, despite Dusty just being a guy in a blazer & jeans. They both have charisma it's just in a different way.

I would say a alot of the full time male talent is out of shape especially for being WWE Superstars™. Notable ones are Ambrose, Corbin, Usos, Eric Rowan, One of The Asension guys forgot his name and on NXT Aleister Black needs to hit a gym. Pretty much all the women are definitely in top shape currently.

This is why the full time talent should be pissed when Part-Timers are allowed to bypass the Wellness Policy™. HHH comes in every year in better shape and more jacked than ever.

Sephzilla

How about we get the thread back on the topic of WWE's ratings instead of pointing out how one poster's fat shaming is completely illogical.

Kevin Owens on the list of problems with current WWE is so far down the list... that he's not even on it...

Dude basically turned Goldberg heel to a huge part of the crowd because of Fastlane. He gets great crowd reactions. They literally had to have him annihilate Chris Jericho and then take on a anti-USA gimmick to get the crowd to boo (and they do) because people liked him to much... by the end of his run with Jericho they were the only two truly over guys on Raw ... and they were heels.

The problem is they don't have enough people like Kevin Owens who can make the over scripting of WWE work...

hamchan

Don't get this thread locked again because it's actually fairly useful for someone who doesn't go in WrassleGAF, doesn't want to watch WWE anymore, but is still interested in news about the company.

I know, he's working so badly that Vince books him on pretty much every PPV. He's flopped so hard that Vince put him on more PPVs in his first year with the company than he did with the fucking Undertaker.

Also I don't understand your logic. You don't like KO because you don't think he's believable, but then you defend Bray Wyatt because wrestling is fake?

pHYWJKQ.gif

Vince hasn't had a clue what he was doing with booking in years, the ratings tell that story

KO isn't an interesting character, nor does he look like he belongs in the ring like a Jinder Mahal, who looks like a world champ. I'd say he has both things going against him

Mahonay

Banned
When even Dan Ryckert is dropping wrestling, you know it's bad.
Lol yep. Dude could be categorized as a WWE megafan, so yeah, if he's not watching, it's an indication of how completely disengaging the product is right now.

I downloaded NXT TakeOver Chicago. Going to try and give it a watch today. First WWE programming I'll be watching in months. At least they're not getting my money I guess.

Dusty became famous in the pre-steroid era. The rules were different then. Hogan changed the rules.

That would be on Vince's fetishes not the crowds. Dusty was still doing very well with the NWA after Vince brought Hogan back to his promotion in 1983 and made him the top guy. Steroids were around in wrestling since at least the early 70s, probably earlier and Dusty feuded with the grand father of the steroid era in Superstar Billy Graham, main evented MSG twice against him when Vince Sr. Was still running things, the crowd wouldn't have cared. Hell, Hogan had multiple feuds with guys who were very overweight "monsters" who had a fraction of Dusty's charisma or talent. Of course those big guys weren't the face of the company but Dusty would've done mostly fine had he came up in the 80s, he probably would've had a different look but probably at Savage level as the number two or three behind Hogan. Hell, when Dusty came to the WWF with Vince running things he was past his prime and despite the horrible look and those unflattering polka dots Dusty was still very popular.

The real problem is that WWE basically coasted over the past 20 years on the backs of about 3 people: Austin/Rock/John Cena...

The reality is that once a generation stars are what create boom periods: Rock n Wrestling was Hogan, Attitude was Rock/Austin, post Attitude John Cena...

Mahonay

Banned
The real problem is that WWE basically coasted over the past 20 years on the backs of about 3 people: Austin/Rock/John Cena...

The reality is that one a generation stars are what creates boom periods: Rock n Wrestling was Hogan, Attitude was Rock/Austin, post Attitude John Cena...
QBxIb64.gif

Don't know what you're implying with that

jinder_mahal_protitle-7f5807e4eeefa5d5573c66268a71722f.jpg

Maybe I'm crazy, but that looks like someone who is belongs
Mmmm veiny

Sephzilla

Of course the irony of your response is that the rock next to Kevin Owens is laughable, but put the rock next to Jinder Mahal and it looks like they are peers

Fun fact - Rock wanted WWE to sign KO back when he was in ROH. Greatness recognizes greatness.

Also Rock and KO could talk circles around Jinder "I only have the belt because the India tour is coming" Mahal

Lothars

Now I know you really just have no clue what your talking about. Owens is one of the best things about WWE and a consistent highlight.

Also Vince never created any of them...

Austin was going to be Chilly McFreeze, Rock was a dumbass babyface... Hogan had already done Rocky III when Hulkamnia started and John Cena was going to get fired before he did his white rapper gimmick for a Halloween Smackdown....

And Reigns is more akin to Diesel

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't like Jinder's look. Veins are not a good look. Same goes foe modern day Rock. Attitude era Rock was a good look. Modern vein Rock is not attractive.

Sephzilla

Austin was going to be Chilly McFreeze, Rock was a dumbass babyface... Hogan had already done Rocky III when Hulkamnia started and John Cena was going to get fired before he did his white rapper gimmick for a Halloween Smackdown....

Yep. Most of WWE's historic characters were not Vince McMahon creations. Vince was also not really sold on Mankind/Mick Foley until the Foley/JR promo where Foley made the character his own thing. D-Generation X was also not a Vince thing.

Heroman

Banned

And Reigns is more akin to Diesel
Eh, but without Vince non of those guys wouldn't have been anything.

Yup, Jinder is selling tickets, Backlash immediately sold out when he got that title shot against Randy Orton and was in the main event. Wait, no, tickets sales almost immediately stopped despite Chicago still being one of WWE's hottest cities.

Most of the wrasslin' fans in India ain't gonna buy shit either because of Jinder because WWE's shows are on free TV there and they're not going to spend 10 USD a month on the network with content they're likely not interested in and the median annual income is less than $1,500. If WWE wants to increase their sub numbers they're gonna have to have regional pricing like Blizzard does with WoW which pads their numbers significantly or at least did when I last paid attention.

That would be on Vince's fetishes not the crowds. Dusty was still doing very well with the NWA after Vince brought Hogan back to his promotion in 1983 and made him the top guy. Steroids were around in wrestling since at least the early 70s, probably earlier and Dusty feuded with the grand father of the steroid era in Superstar Billy Graham, main evented MSG twice against him when Vince Sr. Was still running things, the crowd wouldn't have cared. Hell, Hogan had multiple feuds with guys who were very overweight "monsters" who had a fraction of Dusty's charisma or talent. Of course those big guys weren't the face of the company but Dusty would've done mostly fine had he came up in the 80s, he probably would've had a different look but probably at Savage level as the number two or three behind Hogan. Hell, when Dusty came to the WWF with Vince running things he was past his prime and despite the horrible look and those unflattering polka dots Dusty was still very popular.

It was a gradual change. Obviously everyone didn't start roiding up as soon as Hogan won the title. With wrestling being still territorial and the pre-internet it took a long time to fully change. Plus, Dusty was popular in the south, which back then was at least 10 years behind the rest of the country.

It was pretty obvious by the late 80s what direction even southern wrestling was going. Sting and Lex Luger were the two new big faces of the company and even Flair was obviously taking large amounts of steroids. Obviously not all wrestlers were in that kind of shape but it was definitely expected of top guys by 88-ish.

Buckle

It always me amazes me how Russo drove WCW into the grave and turned TNA into an undead corpse roaming for brains and people still want him back in the WWE.

Top Bottom