• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWG: Red Dead Redemption 2 Cross-play Support Being Discussed

Mikey Jr.

Nintendo be over there like:

"If Sony won't do it...."

reggie-fils-aime-shrug.jpg

....."our hardware sure as hell won't."

Yeah I mean I don't want to call bullshit, but if I was a writer for a random website I'd totally make up a rumor about cross play on a major title because it would bring in mad clicks right now.

Borman

Guys, it's Liam. Look at the author, not the website. He's been more right than he has wrong, despite what you may think. And as always, plans change, so what is a rumor with some truth behind it doesn't always come to pass.

18-Volt

Like RDR2 will be running on the Switch!

There are very talented port studious that would downport that shit that nobody would even notice that it's actually downported. Maybe on home console mode, but on handheld, compromises wouldn't matter that much.

I really honestly fail to see how crossplay hurts Sony. I may be ignorant, but I just don't. Not doing crossplay if crossplay isn't hurting the actual gameplay for technical reasons just makes Sony seem like assholes.

Without cross-play; "Aw man, all my friends play of PlayStation, so I guess I have to buy one if I want to play with them."

With cross-play: "Hey cool I can buy an Xbox and still play with my friends."

Ash735

This is false news put out to try and distract people from the fact that Take-Two have declared modding their games as "illegal" after using shady tactics to track down OpenIV creators in Russia. Despite evidence put against them Take-Two have just shrugged it off and pretty much said "tough":

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1391733

Don't let them distract you with a false promise they'll drop later down the line.

Tinman dX

Banned
Just to play devils advocate maybe RockStar is pushing crossplay to exclude PC release. You got the combination of users playing together and rockstar can control mod support and DLC the console gamers to Death 😬

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Without cross-play; "Aw man, all my friends play of PlayStation, so I guess I have to buy one if I want to play with them."

I suppose, but, being that it is not guaranteed cross-play for all 3rd party titles, I don't see that working out like that. It is a good point though if it were on a more broad scale.

NateDrake

Not is Sony has anything to say about it lol.

Hence the "discussed" part. Minecraft and Rocket League cross-play was discussed with Sony and they refused to accept the terms. Discussion for RDR2 could very well be happening but it doesn't mean Sony will agree to it.

Tinman dX

Banned

Without cross-PS4 Pro and X1X look damn near identical, I'm gonna save $500 and I'm gonna stick with my friends and my OG Xbox One and play RDR2.

With cross-play-PS4 Pro and X1X look damn near identical but way better than my OG Xbox One version I'm gonna upgrade to the cheaper PS4 Pro option and still be able to play with my Xbox friends

Darklor01

There are very talented port studious that would downport that shit that nobody would even notice that it's actually downported. Maybe on home console mode, but on handheld, compromises wouldn't matter that much.

In regards to the source...
WWG is a division of ComicBook.com .... ComicBook.com is an independently owned media company

I don't know anything of the history of that company. Anyone?

Steroyd

Should be interesting this would be the first attempt of strictly console to console cross platform play with no PC version to make either console manufacturer look good.

timberger

Hopefully we'll be able to force Sony to cave by the time this comes out.

Would be good if big boys like Rockstar could get in on pressuring them on the matter, even.

What about PC? Afraid of a little mouse action Rockstar?

I'd rather they keep it console only personally. I was reading steam reviews just yesterday where people were complaining about the hackers there.

For the record, I'm not saying every PC game is rife with this problem.

DOWN

Banned
I can't imagine why this would be the case

And I bet as many as 10% of players who have both platforms that bought GTA V ended up buying a second copy to play on the other platform

Pooya

I could believe this story. GTA Online is big and I think if they can unify everyone under R* social club they would, it could create more opportunities for them.

"Which system do my friends own" is hardly the only consideration people make when they go to buy a game console.

Darklor01

no, seriously, why is anyone acting like 'the system your friends own' is literally the only consideration people make when they go to spend hundreds of dollars on a game console?

It definitely isn't the only consideration, but I have to say I use my PC and XBOX One far less than PS4 because of those friends.

Mikey Jr.

Yep, pretty much.....

Business wise, it hurts Sony. If they don't want to do it, Jim Ryan should shut his fat fucking mouth, rather than CONSTANTLY poking the bees nest.

Boke1879

First off I'm not believing this until more people claim it's authentic.

Rockstar would probably be the only dev to make Sony do it. At least for this game.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
What if some of the publishers are not so keen on this due to the double dipping situation could maybe decrease. Players that have both consoles may have a group of people to play with on both. But wouldn't need two copies due to cross play. I know it would be a small amount but still could be a factor.

Without cross-play; "Aw man, all my friends play on Xbox, so I guess I have to buy one if I want to play with them."

With cross-play; "Hey cool I can buy a Playstation, the console I'm more likely to want as it's the more attractive console on the market for myriad reasons, and the only stopping block I had in that decision has been lifted"

In this context, it works in both directions. It also works like this:

Without cross-play; "I own a PS4 or Xbox and I'm considering trading it in for the other console to play X games with my friends."

With cross-play; "I own a PS4 or Xbox"
It is a big one for the casual gamer.

It definitely isn't the only consideration, but I have to say I use my PC and XBOX One far less than PS4 because of those friends.

You're right, I just don't think it should be portrayed as the only reason people choose one console over another.

Simo

First off I'm not believing this until more people claim it's authentic.

Rockstar would probably be the only dev to make Sony do it. At least for this game.

The author of the article seems to have credibility and obviously heard this rumor last month before the whole crossplay thing exploded this week. So it might of been on the cards until then.

That said I'd be surprised if Sony would go with it just because of the exclusive online content they're getting for the game.

"Which system do my friends own" is hardly the only consideration people make when they go to buy a game console.

The way games are now, its a huge part of consideration put into that decision. Ive sold a lot of consoles.

A lot of people end up going for what their friends own since games are so social now, the ones who really enjoy games as a hobby usually end up with a PS4. The majority of people only own one system at a time (they may swap habitually) and a good size of America has a strong Xbox preference.

It doesn't seem like much at first to me but crossplay def breaks a long standing boundary in this industry. Most importantly, I think it keeps games alive and servers running so I don't know why Sony is really hesitant.

Rockstar's games are children's favorite, I don't think Sony would give in.
jk, hope it happens or at least with Xbox/PC

Ash735

I'd rather they keep it console only personally. I was reading steam reviews just yesterday where people were complaining about the hackers there.
People are complaining because Take-Two declared modding illegal, mainly Single Player mods, to force people to GTAO. That's where the majority of negative reviews came from yesterday.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Without cross-play; "Aw man, all my friends play on Xbox, so I guess I have to buy one if I want to play with them."

With cross-play; "Hey cool I can buy a Playstation, the more attractive console on the market for myriad reasons, and the only stopping block I had in that decision has been lifted"

You're right, I just don't think it should be portrayed as the only reason people choose one console over another.

This and what you quoted are both right. Xbox would see the positive in the original post and Sony would see the positive in yours.

jackdoe

I'm not even sure if you're joking or not.

As for RDR2 crossplay, I actually think it would more likely happen if Sony has exclusive multiplayer content than if they don't.

Button

Banned
I just don't get the fuss around cross-play. To me it sounds like a plan with terrible possibilities. We are talking about paid services here, both MS and Sony market their subscriptions as having online play with them. How does reporting work across systems? What if there was a scenario where the online play was disrupted because of the other company's systems failing? You are playing Red Dead Online on your Xbox and suddenly PSN crashes, closing your game session too? It just seems like a stupid idea altogether.

Top Bottom