• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWG: Red Dead Redemption 2 Cross-play Support Being Discussed

katsais

Eh, I only cross-play with friends, and we all have our corresponding consoles to play on. Can't wait to pre-order our Xbox One Xs!

Boke1879

The author of the article seems to have credibility and obviously heard this rumor last month before the whole crossplay thing exploded this week. So it might of been on the cards until then.

That said I'd be surprised if Sony would go with it just because of the exclusive online content they're getting for the game.

I think Sony is getting exclusive MP content. So it's possible they'll allow it.

But RDR2 is like a year off. Who knows where we'll be in the conversation.

Kayant

Well I mean if anyone can help to move their stance then it would be someone like Rockstar so I hope this rumour is true.
If they can't get Sony on board, Rockstar...just get it working with PC and Xbox. I wish Sony wouldn't do that though.
But they can also do PS4/PC...
Without cross-play; "Aw man, all my friends play of PlayStation, so I guess I have to buy one if I want to play with them."

With cross-play: "Hey cool I can buy an Xbox and still play with my friends."
It's more like -
With cross-play: "Hey cool I still need to buy an Xbox to play with my friends because majority of titles wouldn't have cross-plat chat/in-game parties."

KageMaru

Without cross-play; "Aw man, all my friends play of PlayStation, so I guess I have to buy one if I want to play with them."

With cross-play: "Hey cool I can buy an Xbox and still play with my friends."

On the flip side, if there is a PC port with Xbox and PC crossplay support, that could push more people to one of those platforms. It's foolish to deny the benefits this could bring to gamers. More people playing is generally a good thing.

I just don't get the fuss around cross-play. To me it sounds like a plan with terrible possibilities. We are talking about paid services here, both MS and Sony market their subscriptions as having online play with them. How does reporting work across systems? What if there was a scenario where the online play was disrupted because of the other company's systems failing? You are playing Red Dead Online on your Xbox and suddenly PSN crashes, closing your game session too? It just seems like a stupid idea altogether.

How does reporting work across systems? The same way it works within any one system. System-level reporting functions relate to the communication tools within Xbox/PS's OS. The developer of any given game usually handles reporting functions which are found within the game and cross-play wouldn't change the nature of those functions.

What if there was a scenario where the online play was disrupted because of another company's systems failing? It wouldn't be any more disruptive than that system going down on its own. PSN crashing isn't going to prevent my access to Rockstar's servers as an XBL user and vice-versa.

Rellik

I can't wait to not have crossplay on my PS4 just like I'm having the time of my life without EA Access. Thank you Lord Sony.

Nesther

Hopefully this works out. If this is a simple matter of increasing the pool, and Sony doesn't have to worry about users logging in with XBL accounts on PS systems, I just don't understand why this can't happen. Same with Rocket League.

KodaRuss

I think we can get this done. Lets keep the pressure up, devs just need to keep standing up and saying we are doing this and Sony will not approve it on playstation.

This seems like complete make believe.

Sony has staunchly come out against cross play so the potential biggest game of 2018, that Sony has marketing rights with, is going to be the company that forces Sony's hand on the issue? Yeah right.

One of the biggest pluses of cross play would be that it extends the life of a game's online service by breaking down barriers and putting all players in the same pool. That's something RDR2 will never struggle with. I don't get why they'd even care or what benefit it would bring them.

If anyone can make Sony play ball it's R*. But what's their leverage?

Well the leverage is going to MS for marketing on future games? Or just that generally I suspect Rockstar get to do whatever the hell they want. They aren't a studio I would want to say no to, put it that way.

Top Bottom