• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown Game Informer Mag Details [Up8: Sid Meier Talks XCOM]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Everything continues to look and sound great. 4 people squads is foolishness; there's no reason to believe that right now.

My favorite piece of art is the sectoids:

Picture%202%2015-03-36.png

I think that's actually a screenshot, because you can count the polygons on its head.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm in a weeeeeeird place.

This game has what appears to be awesome gameplay, but terrible art design.

XCOM fps has amazing art design, but terrible looking gameplay.

Hmm...I actually think Enemy Unknown's art is great.

Minsc

Gold Member
Everything continues to look and sound great. 4 people squads is foolishness; there's no reason to believe that right now.

I agree, but if we get more screens tomorrow, and there's still only 4 people in them, then they have got to be messing with us.

If it is a 4-person limit, that pretty much rules out the larger maps or "bug hunts" of the original, doesn't it? I only ever managed them with 8-10 man teams, and if I was unlucky enough to lose over half of my troops it became nigh-impossible to complete the mission (unless you had the dumb luck to get an Ethereal blaster-bombing itself and its pals as it panicked).

Is that an elerium-powered heart?

Weren't the original Sectoids (and Aquatoids) engineered slave species? Perhaps these new Sectoids are something similar?

epmode

If it is a 4-person limit, that pretty much rules out the larger maps or "bug hunts" of the original, doesn't it? I only ever managed them with 8-10 man teams, and if I was unlucky enough to lose over half of my troops it became nigh-impossible to complete the mission.
Thankfully, the game allowed you to rescue your remaining troops in a case like that, so long as you made it back to the Skyranger. Lose the fight but not the war!

Moving the camera around in strategy games just wastes time. I usually turn off animations in strategy games after like the 1st hour or so if its in the options. Hopefully there is that option. Seeing an alien come out of the dark or get shot in the head is cool the 1st few times, after that its a waste.

It just looks like they want to have as much action that they can show so it appeals to the shooter people.

robin2

Weren't the original Sectoids (and Aquatoids) engineered slave species? Perhaps these new Sectoids are something similar?
Yeah I know, I finished that game too many times (but still not enough times). Mutons also seem to be more more mechanically beefed up than before.

Btw yeah, I hope they dismiss the 4-unit rumor ASAP. It just can't be...

FStop7

Banned
No action points and no squaddies going berserk sounds bad. Especially the latter. Nothing like having your rocket launcher dude freak out and start firing randomly at everything that movies, including your own dudes. They should at least make that an option.

The new action point system sounds like King' Bounty almost, guess I'll have to wait to try it, but action points definitely gives you more flexibility and depth.

My solution would be to enable friendly fire on higher difficulties.

4 units doesn't sound realistic. I mean in Ghost Recon Shadow Wars, a "mere" portable game, you can control 6. I would be very surprised if XCOM would limit you to only 4.

People couldn't understand why I was raging at silent storm having a low unit cap of six soldiers and a class based skill tree. And that was aeons ago in game development history.

epmode

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So when you're stuck with crap rookies you can't choke the enemy with their corpses?

Well that's no good.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
More info from the 2K forums:

'The PC Difference - XCOM obviously has deep PC roots and a hardcore fanbase with strong feelings about strategy franchises moving to consoles. It's natural for them to worry about a game like XCOM being dumbed down during the transition from keyboard to gamepad. Everything that Firaxis has shown so far indicates that any 'dumbing down' is limited solely to removing over-designed rules. For example, the original's Time Units have been removed for a simple move+action (or double move) for each unit. The idea is to let players still make the same decisions - move here, shoot that - without having to precisely calculate steps taken and type of shots fired in order to optimize that final five percent of combat effciency. And fear not, PC players - Firaxis is planning to take advantage of the platform's unique capabilities to provide an enhanced interface. Lead designer Jake Solomon uses DA:O as an example of what he wants to happen with XCOM. He suggested a zoomed-out full-map view of the tactical map as the kind of feature that PC players can expect that might not make it into the console versions. Finally, if you're an XCOM devotee from the old days, take comfort in the fact that the hardest difficulty is simply called Classic Mode.'

Other notable gameplay changes mentioned: no more Aimed/Snap/Auto shots, but there are two special abilities you can choose between at each level up that add more actions (the example is a choice the sniper gets: 'Squad Sight which lets him fire at any enemy a squadmate can see, or Snap Shot which lets him take a quick shot after moving, an ability normally restricted from sniper rifles).

Oh yeah, there are classes; the ones mentioned are sniper, support, and heavy. Rookies don't come with their class identified, you have to level them up to find out which they are. Weapon clips are gone but you still need to reload, it doesn't say if there are infinite reloads but you no longer manufacture or load clips onto the Skyranger.

The 16 individual countries will each have demands and assign missions - the article mentions Japan requesting a shipment of laser rifles as a reaction to XCOM not protecting their territory, and Africa as being a poor continent but rich in raw materials needed for manufacturing (each continent will have a bonus). The missions are mostly procedurally generated, but there are specific "tentpole scenarios that take place at certain points in the narrative. These come in several forms, from in-game cinematics showing the growing alien threat through the lens of human newscasts to setpiece tactical battles. Firaxis hopes to use these moments to create some semblance of overarching narrative despite the strategic layer being completely player-driven... Firaxis insists that its tactical AI as well as the unique capabilities and squad compositions each player will bring to them will maintain the game's integrity."

When a soldier is killed by a destructive enough weapon, "his equipment is so badly damaged that it can't be salvaged." Environments are destructible, and suppressive fire is in the game - the example is a heavy pinning down a Sectoid, denying it a turn during the aliens' turn. There are pictures of Sectoids, Mutons, and Cyberdiscs, which are fairly faithful to the originals, although cyberdiscs also come in spiderlike forms. Sectoids can use their psionic abilities to link up with each other to increase their effectiveness, but killing one will kill any others it is linked with. Mutons have Blood Call, "a battle cry that excites surrounding Mutons into a kind of animalistic fury.

Finally, the suit guys are called Thin Men. "The Thin Man is strikingly similar to the Slender Man myths. It may be that some morphogenic race has been secretly studying humanity, and has sent these human facsimiles to Earth as spies. Unnaturally tall and slender, Thin Men are not perfect replicas.... Once engaged in battle, a Thin Man will perform acrobatic maneuvers unlike any human. Thin Men are capable of covering large swaths of ground in a single bound. Snipers should be wary of their ability to jump up several stories in a single leap. Once engaged in close quarters, the Thin Man unhinges its jaw and vomits forth a spray of corrosive putrescence... upon expiration, a Thin Man will explode in an acid shower damaging nearby equipment and field personel."

I have no idea why they chose to feature the Thin Men in the first released screenshots - there are about 30 and those are easily the worst. The tactical view is moveable from a bird's eye 70 degree view to ground level behind/to the side of the soldier. The picture of the geoscape is incomplete, it only shows the globe. The base screens seem similar - the example is a research screen, with a list of topics and a scientist presumably moving in the background. Soldiers are indeed clad in Gears of War style armor, but both soldiers and aliens are drawn in a very clean comic style reminiscent of the animated cinematics of the original (or the Firaxis house style circa Civ V).

Mm.

Not sure about that. One of the great things - for me, anyway - about EU was being able to throw 14-or-so recruits at a mission early on when the tech imbalance and lack of experience made the aliens particularly dangerous. If you start at 4, the early missions will have to be a bit more "fair" and the feeling of being almost overwhelmed by a deadlier, better-equipped force may ebb a bit.

Perfectly willing to wait and see though, as they seem to be doing this right so far.

Expandable limit is better than fixed limit, but I still don't like the idea.
I could see the Extraterrestrial Combat Unit not going full force against a small UFO (not that it held me back in Enemy Unknown), but after the first mission, the (presumably still there for a while) 4-soldiers limit seems pretty odd.
I admit that I seldom use more than 6 soldiers at a time (leaving the other 2 or 4 back in the plane), but the reserves are there for something.
Maybe it has to do with the fact that the soldiers will be panicking in a different way, still the lack of cannon fodder isn't very X-Com.

I'm not sure I'm getting this well: is the move+shoot system similar to the one in Valkyria Chronicles?

The classes are a nice addition, but in the original game your soldiers "evolved" naturally into a class, even without a tag slapped on them.

It does sound similar to VC but the earlier info said that you could do two moves instead of moving and shooting. Maybe you can shoot twice as well?

I do like the sound of those alien specific abilities and the thin men actually sound quite cool despite looking a bit goofy.

The classes are a nice addition, but in the original game your soldiers "evolved" naturally into a class, even without a tag slapped on them.

Yeah, and I remember using tags on my soldiers to identify them as being a certain "class" (i.e. with strong figures in certain attributes), or hiring and quickly firing soldiers with crap stats in an attribute I wanted. Formal classes is just moving that idea on in a way but boxing that aspect of the game in a little.

EDIT

Not really. You allocating soldiers to a role is emergent gameplay while a class based rpg system is the designers explicitly telling you what to do.

Hm. When you put it like that, I suppose that's right enough.

Yeah, and I remember using tags on my soldiers to identify them as being a certain "class" (i.e. with strong figures in certain attributes), or hiring and quickly firing soldiers with crap stats in an attribute I wanted. Formal classes is just moving that idea on in a way but boxing that aspect of the game in a little.

Not really. You allocating soldiers to a role is emergent gameplay while a class based rpg system is the designers explicitly telling you what to do.

Ebris

Mehhhh, it just isn't the same without WAVE OF ROOKIES. Equipping one with Heavy Explosives and waltzing them into a downed UFO early on (if the Elerium is already destroyed anyway) is such a great way to deal with them Sectoids.

Still, I'm feeling the game is gonna be far more good than bad. For the PC version, there is always the possibility of mods too. Mmmmm, I hope a full kit is released for this game.

Also, still have Xenonauts on the smaaaaaall chance this one is a complete bust.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Mm.

Not sure about that. One of the great things - for me, anyway - about EU was being able to throw 14-or-so recruits at a mission early on when the tech imbalance and lack of experience made the aliens particularly dangerous. If you start at 4, the early missions will have to be a bit more "fair" and the feeling of being almost overwhelmed by a deadlier, better-equipped force may ebb a bit.

Perfectly willing to wait and see though, as they seem to be doing this right so far.

This. X CoM is all about high body counts and getting screwed by being slightly out of position.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Mm.

Given that you unlock more people, they might have actually just reversed that flow.

As in, it starts easier and gets harder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom