• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X360 Price drop...confirmed.

JB1981

Karma Kramer said:
Wow there are so many Wii fans in this threaf... its almost like they feel threatened right now.
I can't imagine why. Wii has this shit in the bag. I don't think Sony or MS can do anything to stem that tide.

Rocksteady33

Jtyettis said:
I've read that Toy's R US is confirming this price as well although I haven't found any kind of pic of this yet or other evidence.

trudrop1.jpg

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
artredis1980 said:
I have it coming from a reliable source that CURRENTLY

The Core will drop to 279
The Premium will drop to 349
The Elite will drop to 449

This will clear out the inventory of the Premium which is the most manufactured 360 and the most sold as they know Premium will sell the most until the demand for Elites pick up in 2008. Elites and Cores have relatively the same manufacturing percentage: low at the moment until FALL this year.

When the 65 nm processor falcons are introduced across all SKUs, the holiday season, a month or so after Halo 3 will see the core drop to $249, The Premium will drop to $299 and the Elite will drop to $399

The Core, Premium and Elite Falcons will have a redesigned motherboard which includes HDMI across all SKUs, a quieter DVD Drive and the falcons will STILL have an extra fan heatsink as Microsoft is not prepared to take anymore risks.

The Falcon will reduce the cost to manufacture the Xbox 360 CPU and GPU by ~40-50% but Microsoft will incure additional costs on the new fans and HDMI across all SKUs. Still at the 249,299 and 399 price, Microsoft will expect a profit from the console by early 2008 when the Q4 results are announced.

EDIT: Clearing out inventory of 90nm so they mostly have 65nm on shelves this holiday season

If this has any IOTA of truth, then I am waiting for the 65nm falcons that are $299 for the premium. I aint budging because I want a console that will last me 5 years and is $300, If what you said is true then my first next gen console is the XBOX 360.

widgetraf

Hcoregamer00 said:
If this has any IOTA of truth, then I am waiting for the 65nm falcons that are $299 for the premium. I aint budging because I want a console that will last me 5 years and is $300, If what you said is true then my first next gen console is the XBOX 360.

how about 10 years and $600? i think sony might have something that fits that.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
widgetraf said:
how about 10 years and $600? i think sony might have something that fits that.

No, that's okay.

The max price I am willing to pay for a console is $300, so I rather wait 5 years until the PS3 is $300 then buy the games I missed out on. The DS and PSP have good enough game lineups that I really don't need any home consoles, but I am willing to buy them if they are reasonable enough.

Hcoregamer00 said:
No, that's okay.

The max price I am willing to pay for a console is $300, so I rather wait 5 years until the PS3 is $300 then buy the games I missed out on. The DS and PSP have good enough game lineups that I really don't need any home consoles, but I am willing to buy them if they are reasonable enough.

you essentially miss out on the collective gaming fun (that being the sensation of enjoying games with the rest of the community, at the same time). but yo bobby -- it's your prerogative.

i should have noted to take it with a grain of salt even though its from a reliable salt. i dont want to be killed if it isnt but it most likely is considering the fact that its someone from Celistica Inc.

OverHeat

« generous god »
beermonkey@tehbias said:
Best upgrade path = buy 65nm core, swap the physical console out with your existing system, sell the remaining 'used core system' on eBay.

What if you got a Elite?

MaX_PL

Banned
i'll definitely be getting a 200 dollar core when its out; wont be paying 279 though.

nice pricing strategy by microsoft.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My guess is the Elites will be the first to get the 65nM since they are the ones out of stock at the moment. Any Elite made in July or later has a good chance of having the 65nM methinks.

OverHeat

« generous god »
beermonkey@tehbias said:
I thought the 65nm core will have HDMI?

From a cost perspective, it really doesn't make sense to produce multiple motherboard and housing revisions indefinitely.
You make me Happy!
If my Elite break...Core unit for me !

tirant

DenogginizerOS said:
My guess is the Elites will be the first to get the 65nM since they are the ones out of stock at the moment. Any Elite made in July or later has a good chance of having the 65nM methinks.

mmm...European Elite may be 65nm since 1st day...

pr0cs

disappeared said:
I'm sure that Canadian retailers will simply ignore this price drop. Hell, they'll find an excuse to raise it by $50.
Nah, likely the deal will be even better in Canada, it's next to impossible to buy a premium system without a packed in game here and if you shop around you can get the premium with 3-4 packed in games. Couple the $50 off and all the packed in software and you have a pretty great deal imo.

I wish there were better packed in games for the PS3, I would have got one already if that was the case (right now it looks like you can get either a BD movie or F1, neither are interesting enough to bite the bullet and buy one.
pack in Resistance or Heavenly Sword Sony and I'll buy a PS3

egocrata

Banned
Well, I see Nintendo selling the Wii for $199 without Wii Sports soon, or $249 with Wii Sports and two controlers.

Just to add insult to the injury. :D

Jammy

Banned
Karma Kramer said:
Wow there are so many Wii fans in this threaf... its almost like they feel threatened right now.

Karma Kramer
Ignoramus 101

Really, though. Why would Wii fans feel threatened? By the time 360's price drop takes effect, Wii will have already passed 360 in worldwide sales. And this thing cut is only going to help in the U.S. and not help the huge gap that's in the Wii's favor in Europe and especially Japan.

pr0cs said:
Nah, likely the deal will be even better in Canada, it's next to impossible to buy a premium system without a packed in game here and if you shop around you can get the premium with 3-4 packed in games. Couple the $50 off and all the packed in software and you have a pretty great deal imo.

Not really in agreement. I mean, right now it makes some sense if Forza 2 and Hitman were on your buy list (or WSOP or whatever other junk they toss in), but otherwise it's just a premium we're paying an extra $75 for, factoring in the currency rate. A $50 cut would basically be Microsoft claiming we have financial parity except at the price tag.

The Elite is mathematically a slightly better deal for the system itself (albeit much worse if you want to factor in pack-in titles), but Microsoft doesn't seem interested in shipping it to stores lately.

Jirotrom

egocrata said:
Well, I see Nintendo selling the Wii for $199 without Wii Sports soon, or $249 with Wii Sports and two controlers.

you know what thats really smart... adding in a second controller and nunchuck would probably be the better move rather than price droping, I dubt they will price drop at all this year though...there is no need when your system has been constantly selling out at stores since launch. I don't know about Europe though.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
egocrata said:

They really dont need to do that. Xbox360 might see a big increase in sales due to the price cut and the release of both halo 3 and GTA4, but I dont think Nintendo will be too concerned. They've got their own big title games coming out soon and with the way Wii has been selling, there's no need to reduce the price.

MechDX

blame space said:
God damnit, I really was going to go get one today, until I saw this thread. I hate waiting.

So buy one. Pretty much all stores give you a minimum 90 days instore for return. If they wont refund the difference just return the sucker and buy another one ot the new price.

pswii60

Jammy said:
Karma Kramer
Ignoramus 101

Really, though. Why would Wii fans feel threatened? By the time 360's price drop takes effect, Wii will have already passed 360 in worldwide sales. And this thing cut is only going to help in the U.S. and not help the huge gap that's in the Wii's favor in Europe and especially Japan.

Jammy, MS aren't relying solely on the price cut to sell consoles. There are the games too, you know. Bioshock to Halo 3, GTA 4 to Madden. Whatever, content sells consoles and MS definitely have that lined up for the rest of 2007 - this price cut is just a small incentive which should sway the people on the fence.

Jammy

Banned
pswii60 said:
Jammy, MS aren't relying solely on the price cut to sell consoles. There are the games too, you know. Bioshock to Halo 3, GTA 4 to Madden. Whatever, content sells consoles and MS definitely have that lined up for the rest of 2007 - this price cut is just a small incentive which should sway the people on the fence.

Yes, but the 360 sells in one territory and one territory only. And you act like 360 didn't have a great line-up last holiday season either.

I can see at the very best this price cut along with all those game releases bringing 360 up to Wii-level monthly sales in the U.S., but then there's Japan and even Europe.

pswii60

Jammy said:
Yes, but the 360 sells in one territory and one territory only. And you act like 360 didn't have a great line-up last holiday season either.

I can see at the very best this price cut along with all those game releases bringing 360 up to Wii-level monthly sales in the U.S., but then there's Japan and even Europe.

The 360 didn't have a great line-up last holiday.

It had Gears (new non-established IP), the not-too-great Call of Duty 3, a bunch of PS2 port-em-ups and Viva Pinata which was hardly the right game at the right time.

And the 360 is selling very well here in the UK, which I don't recall being in the US.

EDIT: Looking at your post history which confirms your Wii-fanboy-dom (and insecurities), you have nothing to worry about. Wii will continue to sell regardless. Two consoles with very different demographics can co-exist I'm sure.

P90

I am seriously bummed by this news. If the rumored $199 'tard pack with mem card came true, I could have had me a nice shiny 360 in August! MS, if Sony can do it you can too.

($199 consoles and $19.99 games are my friends).

Skimmin' back through the thread...Why can't console vs. console sales debates stay in sales threads? I know. I know this is GAF. :(

Jammy said:

Pfft, they're doing okay in the UK, and frankly, gaining a giant lead in the US over Sony will help them when it comes to Europe.

Stage On

This price drop better mean that the premium is $360-370 Canadan and not $400 which is pure bullshit. At least Nintendo and Sony know to honor the fricken exchange rate. (I was plesently suprised not to have to pay $300 for my Wii).

I'd jump in this fall once the falcon hits if they actually matched the exhange rate making it affordable. Screw the increased cost for the bundels as they never come with any games I'm intrested in.

Well I guess if it was $400 and came like 3-4 games I wouldn't complain too much since I'd be able to get more then $30 worth off them trading them in. But if it's $400 and no game then it's nothing but a ripoff.

Top Bottom