• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

Gadirok

BF MP may have more "scale", but it looks completely drab and boring in comparison to KZ:SF.

I think I'm not going to pick up BF4 after seeing all the footage. Just doesn't seem nearly as slick, polished, or fun as KZ.

Player counts aren't what I'm after in MP.

I don't plan on picking up a PS4 anytime soon but if I ever saw BF4 on console and wanted it, this would probably make me want to get BF4 on PS4 the most.

The PS3 version of BF3 really doesn't getting a passing grade from me.

But my PC is subpar, my laptop is an overheating PoS that I refuse to put these kinds of games on, so if I were to get BF4 it would be on PS4, if that is the best version available across all other platforms excluding PC.

BF MP may have more "scale", but it looks completely drab and boring in comparison to KZ:SF.

I think I'm not going to pick up BF4 after seeing all the footage. Just doesn't seem nearly as slick, polished, or fun as KZ.

The complexity argument is stale anyway. Reading up in the ARMA series and it's easy to understand how it's one of the most complex and demanding shooters out there. Which does nothing to help the fact that it's drab, dull and not very appeasing at all in comparison to other shooters.

Alchemist

1080p for the PS4 version otherwise I'm cancelling my pre-order. I played this at Eurogamer on Thursday and it looks like a muddy mess in person.

This parity bullshit is not on and I refuse to support it because Microsoft opted to go with Kinect over capable hardware.

What???? Killzone looks AMAZING graphically but it's rather generic gameplay wise.. I don't know how can say BF4 looks boring compared to KZ:SF(from a gameplay perspective ofc).

The complexity argument is stale anyway. Reading up in the ARMA series and it's easy to understand how it's one of the most complex and demanding shooters out there. Which does nothing to help the fact that it's drab, dull and not very appeasing at all in comparison to other shooters.

It has an entirely different goal than most shooters. It is a sim game for people who spend 10 hours playing a match and essentially role play.

Saying it is drab and boring is kind of... well-... you know. It is not trying to do the same things as other fps games.. so a direct comparison is disingenuous IMO.

So is anything actually confirmed? I read the OP but I'm still confused.
The Japanese site put an article up citing a "confirmation" they got from EA representives on the show floor. Dual shockers read it and reported it, GAF made a thread. Since the Japanese site has gotten clarification, edited their site and dual shockers edited their report.

Now here we stand arguing about the same shit we've been on for months.

Mikey Jr.

WOW!

Degrading the PS4 version would be a real dick move.

If it was found out DICE/EA were doing this (not sure if its true or not yet), I would honestly boycott their shit. No joke.

SHADES

2/10

Attempt at trolling too obvious. May I suggest a more passive-aggressive approach next time, perhaps mentioning GDDR5?

Is it so wrong to desire progression from hardware that's had 8 years to advance & were expected to pay $499 for?

I don't see anything wrong in that personally.

Raide

Damn, 64 players and 60fps is going to be awesome. My PC is not up to snuff without a GPU upgrade, so a 720p@60fps is fine for me. Console players being able to check out the 64 player madness will make the lack of P's seem minor.

It has an entirely different goal than most shooters. It is a sim game for people who spend 10 hours playing a match and essentially role play.

Saying it is drab and boring is kind of... well-... you know. It is not trying to do the same things as other fps games.. so a direct comparison is disingenuous IMO.
It's a video game, specifically a shooter and I judge it on the same visual merits as other shooters. If it has a "different goal" then fine, but it doesn't change my opinion. Most shooters have different goals and they meet the scrutiny just as well.

abadguy

Banned

Wow! If something looks boring in comparison to a Killzone game they must be doing something really wrong. All the FPS's not called Titanfall or Destiny look like boring shit to me. I wont be playing any shooters till next year i guess.

TheCloser

Banned
I'm going to the store to cancel my bf4 pre-order. I will not be supporting this nonsense. This goes for all other games too.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
You don't need high-end for 1080p. My graphics card (HD5870) is weaker than the iGP in PS4 and I'm playing with 1080p for years.
But Xbox One GPU should also be strong enough for 1080p.

IN&OUT

Banned
The next generation of disappointment. Microsoft and Sony cheaped out and these are the results.

Killzone.....1080p
DC............1080p
Knack.......1080p
Infamous...1080p
Resogun...1080p
vs

Forza........1080p
Ryse..........900p
KI...............720p
BF4............720p
DR3..........Dynamic shit

I think one party cheapened more than the other.

Rad-

If gaming laptops were much cheaper I'd just buy a really beast one and switch to PC gaming. But sadly they are still stupidly expensive so I guess I'm getting that PS4.

If they indeed do hold back the PS4 version for the sake of parity, I hope they know they're going to be called out on it. There's simply no excuse, and thanks to the likes of Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth, we'll have a pretty accurate idea of how things run in comparison.

Is it possible that a public outcry over Twitter threatening to boycott Battlefield if they 'gimp' the PS4 version could put pressure on them and set an example for other developers? I mean, if they assume people don't/won't care or won't notice, they have less of a reason to put in the effort, no?

Just thinking out loud.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
the one thing I don't understand is the textures. If you're running at 720p (or even 1080p), 8GB should be plenty of memory for amazing textures all over.

I'm now thankful that PS4 is two weeks later in the UK compared to the US. By then we'll have had GAF impressions, the pixel counters will have done their work, and there is probably enough time for digital foundry to get some Face-offs done.

Not buying BF4 anyway, but am looking forward to NFS Rivals - hope that manages 1080p

Mohonky

Well, I didn't expect this especially considering the xbox versions are getting the dlc first.

This is kind of fair but I think this says more about DICE than anything.

After all, PS2 and PS3 got the short end of the stick compared to xbox and xbox 360 multiplats. There were a few exceptions like LA Noire, GTA V, Vanquish, and FFXIII but for the most part its about time PS got some leverage when it had the superior hardware.

PS2 was not even remotely in the same league as the Xbox. How could it get the short end of the stick there? Xbox probably got the short end of the stick in the sense that a lot of 3rd party games were exclusive to the PS2 by default of install base.

PS3 was a pig to develop for and unless you really optimised the shit out of the game for the hardware for minimal returns what incentive was there for developers to go right out of there way to dedicate a team to making sure the game ran better on PS3 than Xbox 360? Just to appease the Sony fanboys? Both consoles had strengths and weaknesses and that became apparent in a few different titles where one excelled at some things and the other other at other things. But developers arent exactly obligated to go out of there way to make sure that one console has any superiority over the other, it just turned out that way with the assets used.

This is different however in that MS and Sony basically went to the same people and came out with similar setups, though Sony grabbed from the upper shelves for their machine when Microsoft went for the middle rung. Developers dont owe it to Microsoft to ensure their games are on par with the PS4 versions in the same way that they didnt owe either company in this gen. With the PS4 having the better specced GPU it should stand to reason the PS4 gets the better ports.

There is no short end of the stick, just developers working with what they have and this time round, they are both working with very similar configurations with one having an obvious advantage that they dont have to dig deep into optimisation to find that performance gap for.

Anonumos

Banned
So basically both PS4 and XB1 will run at the same resolution/frame rate.

That's where we are atm right? Because the OP and thread title doesn't say so.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If they indeed do hold back the PS4 version for the sake of parity, I hope they know they're going to be called out on it. There's simply no excuse, and thanks to the likes of Digital Foundry and Lens of Truth, we'll have a pretty accurate idea of how things run in comparison.

Is it possible that a public outcry over Twitter threatening to boycott Battlefield if they 'gimp' the PS4 version could put pressure on them and set an example for other developers? I mean, if they assume people don't/won't care or won't notice, they have less of a reason to put in the effort, no?

Just thinking out loud.
They are just over a month from going gold. At this point they will play it safe just to guarantee launch date.

artist

Banned
Ehm... you know that PS4's hardware (50% more ALUs, 100% more ROPs and 50% more bandwidth) favors higher resolutions compared to Xbox One hardware?
He's one of the few PC gamer that doesnt believe there is an IQ difference between 900p and 1080p.

StevieP

Banned

Jesus. I know there is an opinion for everything, but call me when you can do this in killzone: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TS_b-tXkHs

Let me say it this way: I'm conviced that Microsoft could sell Xbox One with a profit at a $299 price point if they excluded Kinect from the SKU. ^_^

Dude, the difference between a 7770 and a 7870 is a lot smaller than the difference from both to a 7970. Yes, even with huma

Wow! If something looks boring in comparison to a Killzone game they must be doing something really wrong. All the FPS's not called Titanfall or Destiny look like boring shit to me. I wont be playing any shooters till next year i guess.

Frankly, Destiny and Titanfall being online-centric deals lowered their stock for me from the moment they were announced. Same with the Division.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually puts more stock in a good single-player campaign than multiplayer in most titles. Fighting games are the only games where good multiplayer is a make-or-break deal for me. The main differentiator between this gen and next seems to be a greater emphasis on always-online experiences, which is dampening my excitement considerably.

All this 720p and upscaling talk certainly isn't helping either. That part, though, I'm sure will get better over time.

UberTag

Will Digital Foundry be able to accurately discern whether PS4 versions of multi-plat titles have been forcibly gimped or will they just say "both the PS4 and Xbox One versions appear to perform identically - PC version wins"?

Krakn3Dfx

Any EA/DICE game that ships at 720p on the PS4 will be a no-buy for me, especially when Sony's 1st party stuff is bringing it at 1080p out of the gate.

Also another great reason not to pre-order any 3rd party games at all, I'm waiting to see who brings it and who just gimps for parity.

abadguy

Banned
Frankly, Destiny and Titanfall being online-centric deals lowered their stock for me from the moment they were announced. Same with the Division.

I'm one of those weirdos that actually puts more stock in a good single-player campaign than multiplayer in most titles. Fighting games are the only games where good multiplayer is a make-or-break deal for me. The main differentiator between this gen and next seems to be a greater emphasis on always-online experiences, which is dampening my excitement considerably.

All this 720p and upscaling talk certainly isn't helping either. That part, though, I'm sure will get better over time.

Single player focus is great when the games in question have good single player. Killzone and battlefield series aren't exactly the masters of that.

Top Bottom