• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XB1 Retail Version of Battlefield 4 Will Still Run at 720p, 60 FPS, EA Rep confirms

Xyber

No it's not. You most likely have most of the shit you need to build an ok pc that would be able to run Battlefield at 1080p easily. I built mine for less than 500 and im running BF3 on ultra 1080p.

I'd like to see the specs for that PC, because you are running some future tech there my friend.

StevieP

Banned
... because PS4/XB1 have a set amount of power. There's give and take with resolution and framerate and everything whereas PC gaming (and by PC gaming I mean a proper dedicated gaming rig) is closer to unlimited.

But ggdr huma

shinnn

My how the tides have turned. Your salt powers my erection.

It's not different than going into a 360 thread for much of last gen.

[EDIT]

Wait ... it don't see XBone dissing. Huh?
You dont need to go back 7 years back. Just look at the 2 topics with the same "news", just switching the consoles. And look how different the replies are.

Just for the record, if it was 7 years ago, it would be the same thing "Lazy devs" if it was for PS3, and "Xbox 1.5" if it was X360.

You dont need to go back 7 years back. Just look at the 2 topics with the same "news", just switching the consoles. And look how different the replies are.

Just for the record, if it was 7 years ago, it would be the same thing "Lazy devs" if it was for PS3, and "Xbox 1.5" if it was X360.

You are the torch bearer of persecution complex. lol I've never see someone complain so much about how unfair everyone is treating your favorite company.

It's like you're fishing for a "leave ms alone!" tag

Raistlin

It's beautiful

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But Battlefield 4 is not Battlefield 3.

Dice has fantastic tech and some of the best people in the industry.

But assuming they tone down the AA, and run high settings (with maybe a few bits from the ultra setting), even a more demanding Bf4 should be doable at 1080p/60, or 1600x900 at least.

I often just run high settings on my 7950 just so I don't have to tweak ultra for a fast framerate. SSAO and soft shadows etc I can easily live without if it means a solid 60fps

Will still continue to buy these multiplats on console(PS4) because I like gaming with friends and family. But this is dissapointing, expected tbh, but dissapointing.

and lol@ running BF3 on ultra on a 500$ PC. C'mon man.

Kinda bad when these consoles cant run frostbite a pc engine from 2011.

This is going to be one bad gen. The graphics comparison for Bf4 when all the consoles are out will be pretty ugly I think.
It will be when people finally see how big the power disparity from pc tech and console tech is atm.

In related news you can pre order Bf4 on pc now.

in related news..im bored of post like this one

this is gonna be a excellent generation,like the past was,with some amazing games,from the gameplay and the tech side,some pc users cant see that its their problem,as gta5 shows,graphics are more tan resolution and textures

This graph shows that BF4 should be running at 1080p60 on the PS4. DICE have no excuses. It doesn't have to run at 'Ultra' settings. It can be 'High' settings. No need for 4xMSAA either. There should be no conceivable scenario where a PC equivalent yields superior performance to the console version. Fact: it just shows the game wasn't optimised well.

Agree. BF4 has fairly similar system recs as BF3 so that graph is still accurate. The only excuse DICE would have if BF4 is not 1080p on PS4 is that its a rushed launch game for next gen.

Durante

But assuming they tone down the AA, and run high settings (with maybe a few bits from the ultra setting), even a more demanding Bf4 should be doable at 1080p/60, or 1600x900 at least.

I often just run high settings on my 7950 just so I don't have to tweak ultra for a fast framerate. SSAO and soft shadows etc I can easily live without if it means a solid 60fps
Probably you are right in your assumptions, and I completely agree with your priorities, but the thing about consoles is that you let someone else decide your settings for you and then you have to live with that.

Nafai1123

Banned
7970 with a crappy cpu can handle BF 3 1080p 60 fps with ultra setting? 499 $ pc desktop can beat ps4? Not sound so legitim to me :/ I have a pc with the same value, just to be precise.

BF3-Ultra-1080.png

That's on a i5 2500k with 4gigs RAM.

StevieP

Banned
Agree. BF4 has fairly similar system recs as BF3 so that graph is still accurate. The only excuse DICE would have if BF4 is not 1080p on PS4 is that its a rushed launch game for next gen.

Or because the consoles aren't beasts, and because most benches of bf3 are taken from single player - which is far less demanding than muliplayer (which we are discussing here, because the only console footage and info has been shaky cam stuff from events on the muli).

omonimo

Banned
It's 60 fps. Probably 30fps are worth to achieve 1080p but dice seems to want 60 fps at all cost. I'm expecting 1360x768p at the worst on ps4 knowing its specs.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Probably you are right in your assumptions, and I completely agree with your priorities, but the thing about consoles is that you let someone else decide your settings for you and then you have to live with that.

Sure, but IMO devs should ditch effects that are lots of 'buck for your bang', ahead of resolution/framerate.

I wonder if this might just be launch title blues though? Although the GPUs should be OK, there might need to be some optimisation done to get around not having a nice fast quad-core intel CPU, and that means compromise overall.

It is pretty much guaranteed to be rushed. Regardless, I don't really expect the first batch of third party PS4/Xbone titles to be maxed out on the graphics, especially when they are all also coming to the PS3/360/WiiU.

Once developers stop making games for the PS3/360/WiiU and just focus on PS4/Xbone/PC we will see much better graphics. Every generation takes a couple of years before their maximum potential is reached.

It isn't really an issue with the console, as we've seen with titles like Killzone: Shadow Fall and inFAMOUS: Second Son. The real issue is the division of resources.

Xyber

BF3-Ultra-1080.png

That's on a i5 2500k with 4gigs RAM.

But you can't get that PC for $500. That GPU is 300 alone. then you need CPU, MoBo, RAM, PSU, HDD and a case if you don't re-use one. You can't get that for $500.

He said he built a PC for $500, not upgraded parts for that.

a916

Since when do we have benchmarks for BF4? We were talking about upgrading a rig based on modest parts for less than $500 that could play BF3 at ultra settings. Try to keep up.

We don't, so stop posting useless comparisons that have nothing to do with PS4/XB1 like the thread-name suggests.

Reallink

Personally, I think more people would notice, appreciate, and prefer a game that looked like BF3 @ 1080p/60 than whatever costly, barely noticeable effects they're presumably weighing this down with @720p. That's my opinion at least. On PC, I don't know who in their right mind would cut resolution in half to turn on expensive nonsense like HBAO, raytraced real time reflections, 4096x4096 super sampled high precision smoothed shadows etc... There's honestly no other viable excuse for a game that runs on PS360 and has recommended specs of a 7870 to be running at 720p on PS4bone other than moronic effects choice/optimization.

omonimo

Banned
Almost certainly 16x Anisotropic filtering considering that its impact on performance in any modern card is negligible.
I doubt. 16 AF in my 7870 struggle in different area with ultra setting ; I suspect AF it's not that high to reach 60 fps at 1080p with ultra setting .

a916

Kinda bad when these consoles cant run frostbite a pc engine from 2011.

This is going to be one bad gen. The graphics comparison for Bf4 when all the consoles are out will be pretty ugly I think.
It will be when people finally see how big the power disparity from pc tech and console tech is atm.

In related news you can pre order Bf4 on pc now.

Frostbite 3 powers BF4, Frostbite 2 powered BF3.

Ubersnug

Has EA actually confirmed this then or is it just Fud? Don't really want to trail through 16 pages of flames if this is just fud.

This is why we still don't know. It's only a bit over a month until Next Generation Console launches and yet they are keeping us in the dark. Why? So people won't go out and pick one version over the other.

A sale is a sale EA. Fuck off with that parity shit.

It serves no benefit to anyone to hold back any version to create parity imo. If the PS4 can run the game at higher resolutions and/or frame rate than the XBox One then EA should push the hardware and do it.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-red-dead-redemption-face-off

It's interesting looking back at other face-offs from the past. This game came out in 2010, plenty of time to know each system. Red Dead Redemption was a biggie and the PS3 and XBox 360 version had various differences. Many thought the PS3 was much more powerful but we didn't really see it on multiplat games. I heard everything from lazy devs, Microsoft forcing parity, to the PS3 being difficult to work on. Sony seems to have made it a priority not to let that happen again with the PS4. This is why all eyes are on what will happen moving forward. The numbers show the PS4 having the upper hand and being very accommodating to game developers.

As for holding information back, it will all come out eventually. I am in no rush.

PandaL

Personally, I think more people would notice, appreciate, and prefer a game that looked like BF3 @ 1080p/60 than whatever costly, barely noticeable effects they're presumably weighing this down with @720p. That's my opinion at least. On PC, I don't know who in their right mind would cut resolution in half to turn on expensive nonsense like HBAO, raytraced real time reflections, 4096x4096 super sampled high precision smoothed shadows etc... There's honestly no other viable excuse for a game that runs on PS360 and has recommended specs of a 7870 to be running at 720p on PS4bone other than moronic effects choice/optimization.

This!

shinnn

Exactly ... he's not even citing a troll thread.

The hell?
My last reply on this, because its became OT.

News about PS4 version being 720p. First post saying the XB1 version will be 720p too. Whats the point? Whats the contribution to the thread if not trolling?

Or just look at the poster. If you dont recognize him as a history of bashing one console and praising another, maybe you are not the right guy to judge "persecution complex".

Jeels

I will be so upset if they somehow downgrade the PS4 version if the XB1 can't be up to par.

Ridiculous industry. Any developer/publisher who does this will not get my money.

oldnick

Banned
Hey guys, I'm gonna play the devil's advocate here:

Wouldn't it be way more efficient for maintenance/support/patches to roll identical ports on the twin sisters of this new gen,
from a business perspective for developers ?

Tweaking left and right one of the 2 seems like a waste of time, developping on one of the twins and rolling an identical port on the other seems more ideal.

Wouldn't it be way more efficient for maintenance/support/patches to roll identical ports on the twin sisters of this new gen,

Tweaking left and right one of the 2 seems like a waste of time, developping on one of the twins and rolling an identical port on the other seems more ideal.

This is exactly whats gonna happen.
It says right in the OP that they're aiming to have the same resolution and frame-rate for both versions.

Anytime a X1 game looks the same or better it is a moneyhat, anytime a PS4 game looks better it is proof of vast superiority. Fun game for console warriors to play in lieu of actually playing games. Xbox version can never be viewed positively regardless of the outcome.

I'm confused by something though. If Sony's own first party devs aren't hitting 1080/60 then why would you expect a 3rd party multiplatform launch title to do so? Or do you expect DICE to lower PS4 to 30fps and lose the fluidity of the 60fps X1/PC version? DICE wants the game to run at 60fps which means 1080 is out on consoles.

People claiming moneyhats are crazy. There's no basis to expect 1080p/60 from 3rd parties at launch.

Not really different than any previous gen, but some people have obviously committed to PS4 on the blind assumption that multiplatform games will look and run significantly better and if that doesn't come to pass then they think they will just attack the developers. In my opinion you should buy your console on the basis of the types of games and experiences you want to have and not make any assumptions about what 3rd party games will look like. Both consoles offer impressive graphics for anyone but the hardcore PC gamers -- who should probably keep playing on PC if all they care about are graphics/specs.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

FB3 is a highly scaleable engine. It's pretty easy to raise or lower certain effects just by changing values since it has features designed all the way up to high end PCs.

You have different codes for each version. Code it to take advantage of the console it is running on. Don't hold back on either one for the other. Maximize each version and get my respect. Hold back on either, then you're just a lazy dev

My last reply on this, because its became OT.

News about PS4 version being 720p. First post saying the XB1 version will be 720p too. Whats the point? Whats the contribution to the thread if not trolling?

Or just look at the poster. If you dont recognize him as a history of bashing one console and praising another, maybe you are not the right guy to judge "persecution complex".

Oh, the irony.

velociraptor

Yet HW requirements for BF4 are virtually identical to BF3. DICE definitely has fantastic tech. However, I really don't believe they are utilising the consoles well. Fact is the GPU handles the resolution. It doesn't matter if the CPU is gimped. It's strong enough to deliver 1080p.

Oddly enough, 900p on BF3 (on my PC) looks worse than 720p on PS3 games. It looks like someone has smeared vaseline all over the screen in the former yet the latter looks somewhat sharp depending on the game (e.g. God of War 3, Uncharted 3).

If 900p looks closer to the former then welp.

Derrick01

Banned
Anytime a X1 game looks the same or better it is a moneyhat, anytime a PS4 game looks better it is proof of vast superiority. Fun game for console warriors to play in lieu of actually playing games. Xbox version can never be viewed positively regardless of the outcome.

That's what happens when you have the noticeably weaker platform in specs. This shit aint magic it's hard numbers. If a PS4 version looks worse something went wrong on the dev's end.

I guess they feel like they can impress the casual gamer with fancy effects more so than with resolution and frame rate. For example drive club on the ps4 is sacrificing 60fps for more lighting effects and prettier graphics as a whole. I'd much rather have 60fps any day

Skeff

They are both going to be vastly different code, even if they have visual parity. One is DirectX based one is openGL based.

If they went for a platform agnostic build, then the results would be very far away from visual parity.

Finalizer

Anytime a X1 game looks the same or better it is a moneyhat, anytime a PS4 game looks better it is proof of vast superiority. Fun game for console warriors to play in lieu of actually playing games.

"He's posting on an internet forum, clearly such an arduous task it leaves no room for any other hobby throughout the day."

velociraptor

Exactly.

Top Bottom