• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL dashboard update information (background downloading, boot to dashboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vormund

This sounds interesting....

Improved handling of backward-compatible update experience, reboot back into Xbox v1 environment instead of Dashboard

What would that mean exactly?

GhaleonEB

I hope an updated PDF manual is put up which incorporates the changes. Some of those are hard to know how to use from a bulleted list.

Vormund said:

Improved handling of backward-compatible update experience, reboot back into Xbox v1 environment instead of Dashboard

It sounds like when you load a BC game and update it, it starts the game again instead of going to the 360 dash.

I could be wrong though.

mikeGFG

Banned
Vormund said:

I assume they mean this:
dashxboxlive8bn.jpg

scarybore

Much player save “repeat” setting

**** yeah, we are getting a Much player!

User-selected music continues play when switching from Dashboard to game or game to Dashboard

Sweet, this was a bit of a annoyance if you keep accepting friend requests in different games.

“Boot to Dashboard” setting will bypass the loading of any disc in the drive and open directly to Dashboard during power-on

Excellent! This was my biggest issue whcih is perhaps a bit sad :D

Improved download performance for popular content being downloaded through Marketplace

Hurrah!

Pop-up guide / Dashboard now supports USB keyboard

Thank god, typing in song names was a pain since you had to pick up the controller every 5 seconds.

Total USB keyboard support

Eh? Someone explain to be quite what this one means if it is different from the above.

Better support for Xbox 360 game disc recognition

Good, I have some wierd issues with my copy of Perfect Dark Zero occasionally. Hope this helps.

Kick ass update providing it's not bugged to hell (I don't expect it to be).

scarybore

Fallofmart said:
It sounds like when you load a BC game and update it, it starts the game again instead of going to the 360 dash.

I could be wrong though.

At first I thought it meant it would go to the original Xbox Dashboard but reading it over again I came to the same conclusion as you.

6/6/6 the update of the beast...

:lol

bumpkin

This dashboard update's going to be sweet, but who here is hoping for some new content (in the Marketplace) to give the new background downloading a whirl? At this point, I've tried damn near every demo they offer.

bumpkin said:
This dashboard update's going to be sweet, but who here is hoping for some new content (in the Marketplace) to give the new background downloading a whirl? At this point, I've tried damn near every demo they offer.

Yeah, I've really got nothing left to download. Bastards!

ant1532

Banned
So is the update finally coming out at 12:00 AM EST (June 6th)???

I will finally be able to download some more shit, can't wait!

The DVD Bookmarking sounds very very very awesome

ant1532 said:
So is the update finally coming out at 12:00 AM EST (June 6th)???

I will finally be able to download some more shit, can't wait!

The DVD Bookmarking sounds very very very awesome

The Maje sez 2:00 AM PT (so in seven hours). That's when it starts.

TheWolf

Banned
yes, one of you MS guys that has the update has to tell me how the playback looks. the current level of playback is downright ugly.

I want to unhook my current DVD player and clear up some space!

inpHilltr8r said:
6/6/6 the update of the beast...

Nice! :)

This update is going to rock. I've been saving some downloads until after this was released too, so tomorrow night is going to be filled with all kinds of Oblivion and background downloading. I'm going to be one happy X360 owner

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
TheWolf said:
yes, one of you MS guys that has the update has to tell me how the playback looks. the current level of playback is downright ugly.

I want to unhook my current DVD player and clear up some space!

or just wait like 5 hours? :p

ijm72

Man i was so excited for this update and then today when I was playing fight night my 360 froze so I restart it and I see the 3 ****ing red lights and I say to myself NOOOOOOO!!! It turns out my 360 is ****ed and I have to send it in for repair. Does anybody here know how long it usually takes for the system to be sent for repair and be returned?

FiRez

Is there going to be a way to open the disc tray when a game is inside?
It's annoying that you can't do that

Slayven

ijm72 said:
Man i was so excited for this update and then today when I was playing fight night my 360 froze so I restart it and I see the 3 ****ing red lights and I say to myself NOOOOOOO!!! It turns out my 360 is ****ed and I have to send it in for repair. Does anybody here know how long it usually takes for the system to be sent for repair and be returned?
Mine was 2 and a half weeks between the time they sent me the box and i recieved a replacement 360. And i took my time sending it back.

TheWolf

Banned
ijm72 said:

from the first time I called them the whole process took a little over two weeks.

FiRez

Here Be Dragons said:
Use the remote's open tray button.

My friend bought the premiun pack but there was not remote control, I mean if you can open the tray, and exit to the dash in any moment of the game, why I can't have the option to open the tray again to switch games

trmas

Banned
Well, I'm out of town on business so by the time I get home Friday there should be some good/bad word of mouth on this update (like whether it kills anything). I'll read up before turning the 360 on.

coldvein

Banned
bumpkin said:

I'm with you. I'd almost rather have some new stuff to download than this update..Demos, XBLA games, something..But I guess I'll JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT!

What size should I make the "gamertile" picture I want to use?

I have a pretty big penis so I want it to display accurately in a small picture.

:)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
shpankey said:
...interesting...

...hell yeah!...

Are they pushing for more of a Bitorrent like system making every Xbox 360 that downloads an item to upload it too (not as fast as its download speed thus reducing its download speed... I should rephrase, but I am way too lazy this morning :p) ?

Talking about an update to the Dashboard (so not an Xbox LIVE server side-only update) improve download performance of "popular" Marketplace content seems to suggest a more Bitorrent/STEAM like distribution that takes more load off the servers and help sustain speedy distribution of items the more clients connect to download it.

BojTrek

Banned
It is up... it downloaded and rebooted in under 1 minute...

The first thing I changed was to boot to dashboard if there is a disc in the tray...

There is a camera section under the setup area... I am going to load Ninja Gaiden and see what happens.

FiRez said:
Is there going to be a way to open the disc tray when a game is inside?
It's annoying that you can't do that

if you're standing up to change the game anyway, what's so hard about pressing the little button to open the tray?

Razoric

Banned
FiRez said:
My friend bought the premiun pack but there was not remote control, I mean if you can open the tray, and exit to the dash in any moment of the game, why I can't have the option to open the tray again to switch games

?? You have to go up to the 360 to change the game anyway, just press the freakin button... wtf. :lol :lol

KAOS

Nice update! I really like how the custom soundtrack feature was made to work continuously from game to game. Games like Full Auto no longer reset the soundtrack.

BojTrek

Banned
Ninja Gaiden downladed another patch... unless it was another X-Box 360 update... I received the first 2 patches for Ninja Gaiden... so it was either another patch or not... who knows...

It still runs smooth... I am currently on Level 3 fighting the pig on top of the blimp...

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
DVD playback is now lovely, but my ****ing receiver, which was upconverting to 720p through HDMI, is now stretching the picture into 4:3 on my stupid 4:3 Wega.

bee

great update , boot to dashboard and dvd upgrades are especially good . is it just me or does vga also look less washed out now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom