• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

I already own Super Meat Boy on something like 12 other systems, bought (and still haven't played) The Crew + Wild Run during the "price glitch", have a hard copy of X-Com, and couldn't give a rats ass about Goat Simulator.

Good month.

Seriously though, I actually like getting digital copies of games I already own on disc so X-Com has value to me. I might even get some play in with Goat Sim. Looks like a decent drinking game. Super Meat Boy isn't my thing (don't know how the hell I own it on various platforms...it seems to spread like a virus). But maybe I'll give it another shot, at least for some achievements.

Montresor

Goat Simulator is not very fun for me, heh. The game is really quirky, unique, funny, and insane! I'm glad it was free and had a chance to see what this game / genre of games is like, even if I didn't end up liking it. I can tell you I definitely won't be buying the sequel though.

Being a huge fan of Forza Horizon 2 I'm really excited for The Crew... and kinda bummed we have to wait until the middle of the month for it.

Alx

Goat Simulator is not very fun for me, heh. The game is really quirky, unique, funny, and insane! I'm glad it was free and had a chance to see what this game / genre of games is like, even if I didn't end up liking it.

My thoughts exactly. :)
I know the game is cheap on purpose, but they could at least have put more work in the goat walking animation.
Also maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of the jetpack. As soon as you turn it on, you start spinning randomly, it's impossible to control. It won't even give you a boost in the middle of a jump.

Chris1

Goat Simulator is not very fun for me, heh. The game is really quirky, unique, funny, and insane! I'm glad it was free and had a chance to see what this game / genre of games is like, even if I didn't end up liking it. I can tell you I definitely won't be buying the sequel though.

Being a huge fan of Forza Horizon 2 I'm really excited for The Crew... and kinda bummed we have to wait until the middle of the month for it.

You can DL it now there's a trial but I'm not sure how long you can actually play for. It's a good way to preload it anyways.

I bought it for 10 bucks when it first came out and got drunk and played it. It wasn't bad but I haven't fired it up again.

Flux

I spent one hour on Flappy Goat yesterday and failed. I don't want to give up on it, haha.

On the 360, it took me a good 3 hours of just trying for that after getting all the other achievements.

Maybe take a break because its bullshit and the controls/hit detection/ input lag makes it unnecessarily harder.

jelly

I remember struggling with Super Meatboy last time I played it. Gave it another go, yeah my blood is starting to boil again. Think my time with it is not going to be much longer. Back to Dark Souls that so far hasn't frustrated me too much but I've just prepared to go to Blight Town for the first time.

Montresor

You can DL it now there's a trial but I'm not sure how long you can actually play for. It's a good way to preload it anyways.

Ooh, I'll definitely do that once I'm home from work tonight.

On the 360, it took me a good 3 hours of just trying for that after getting all the other achievements.

Maybe take a break because its bullshit and the controls/hit detection/ input lag makes it unnecessarily harder.

Yup, I'll play the rest of the game normally and wait until Flappy Goat is my last achievement.

I remember struggling with Super Meatboy last time I played it. Gave it another go, yeah my blood is starting to boil again. Think my time with it is not going to be much longer. Back to Dark Souls that so far hasn't frustrated me too much but I've just prepared to go to Blight Town for the first time.

I love Super Meat Boy. Initially I was upset that the game wasn't re-released on XB1 like it was on PS4. But the BC edition is good enough for me and has the luxury of having vastly vastly superior music!

Definitely one of the best games made in a looooong time. I don't think I'll replay Super Meat Boy in its entirety (I beat it on 360) but I do like loading up World 2 The Hospital fron time to time just to listen to its music.

Definitely one of the best games made in a looooong time. I don't think I'll replay Super Meat Boy in its entirety (I beat it on 360) but I do like loading up World 2 The Hospital fron time to time just to listen to its music.

When I got Super Meat Boy from PS+, the first thing I noticed was that the music was wrong. It's still an awesome game (I 100% it on both platforms), but it's disappointing every time I play a level in
Hell
and don't get to hear Hot Damned or Devil N' Bass. McLarty Party People is also awesome.

chadskin

The handling is pretty shit until you upgrade your car/get new cars.

I've only played the beta but there's a 'fix' to considerably improve the handling:
Go into the Control Options...
  • Set Car handling help level to Hardcore
  • Set Steering Sensitivity to approximately 3/4
  • Set Steering dead zone all the way to the left
  • Steering speed factor all the way to the right
via https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2lomsy/for_those_hating_the_crews_driving_try_this/

Worth a try.

Montresor

That uh.. doesn't sound good :(

Haven't tried the demo as I'd rather just wait for the full game, but damn, I was kind of looking forward to it too.

You might as well try the demo. I was completely 100% sold on the game based off another thread and changed my mind after trying the demo. You might still be into the game.

I tried the game though and I'm really annoyed at the online always requirement. It fucks you even if you DON'T lose Internet connectivity. If you pause the game, minimize the game and open up Netflix or My Games & Apps, the game loses Internet connectivity and you're kicked out of your session. Even if your Xbox was connected to the Internet the whole time - The Crew doesn't know how to keep Internet connectivity while on standby.

I'm also put off by the bloated and overwhelming UI - the game throws at you so many different customization options. Having those there isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's off-putting to be presented with all that stuff when I am just trying to get a feel for the open world. In Forza Horizon 2 it seems much more user/casual friendly - there are customization options but they're not shoved down your face and are there just in case a hardcore player wants to play around with that stuff.

The story seems over-the-top as well. You play as a street racer whose brother dies, and you're framed for his murder and an FBI agent lets you out of prison early in exchange for you infiltrating the street gang that was implicit in your brother's murder and your wrongful imprisonment... Meanwhile Forza Horizon 2 is set in a festival celebrating the love of cars.

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair and comparing the game too much to Forza Horizon 2 - I just didn't come away from the demo feeling like I need to play this game.

I love huuuuuuge lists of collectibles in open world games, and I was excited when I heard this game has 200+ landmarks to visit. But the couple of landmarks I saw were all beatdown, broken-down, abandoned warehouses. Just ugly stuff. I was expecting to see beautiful architecture - not run-down buildings.

The Crew seems to have two unique advantages over Forza - it has a VASTLY bigger map and the open world is a lot less sparse. The Crew feels like a living breathing world while Forza felt more like barren countryside. Those two advantages can't make me forget about everything else I found boring in the The Crew though.

Chris1

You might as well try the demo. I was completely 100% sold on the game based off another thread and changed my mind after trying the demo. You might still be into the game.

I tried the game though and I'm really annoyed at the online always requirement. It fucks you even if you DON'T lose Internet connectivity. If you pause the game, minimize the game and open up Netflix or My Games & Apps, the game loses Internet connectivity and you're kicked out of your session. Even if your Xbox was connected to the Internet the whole time - The Crew doesn't know how to keep Internet connectivity while on standby.

I'm also put off by the bloated and overwhelming UI - the game throws at you so many different customization options. Having those there isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it's off-putting to be presented with all that stuff when I am just trying to get a feel for the open world. In Forza Horizon 2 it seems much more user/casual friendly - there are customization options but they're not shoved down your face and are there just in case a hardcore player wants to play around with that stuff.

The story seems over-the-top as well. You play as a street racer whose brother dies, and you're framed for his murder and an FBI agent lets you out of prison early in exchange for you infiltrating the street gang that was implicit in your brother's murder and your wrongful imprisonment... Meanwhile Forza Horizon 2 is set in a festival celebrating the love of cars.

Maybe I'm being a bit unfair and comparing the game too much to Forza Horizon 2 - I just didn't come away from the demo feeling like I need to play this game.

I love huuuuuuge lists of collectibles in open world games, and I was excited when I heard this game has 200+ landmarks to visit. But the couple of landmarks I saw were all beatdown, broken-down, abandoned warehouses. Just ugly stuff. I was expecting to see beautiful architecture - not run-down buildings.

The Crew seems to have two unique advantages over Forza - it has a VASTLY bigger map and the open world is a lot less sparse. The Crew feels like a living breathing world while Forza felt more like barren countryside. Those two advantages can't make me forget about everything else I found boring in the The Crew though.

Yeah I'll try it anyways, I try all the GWG's I have even slight interest in. I just don't want to play the trial then if I'm really into it, it cuts me off and I have to wait a few days to continue, so I'd rather just use it as a preload alternative rather than starting it early..

Forza Horizon 2 is one of the best racing games i've played too, so naturally I'll probably compare to that aswell. Story is whatever to me, it's a racing game so I just want to race really, the story can be as bad as can be as long as it doesn't overstay it's welcome and let's me race.

Just a little disappointed by your response and setting my expectations in check so I'm not massively disappointed. Wasn't expecting a masterpiece or anything but was looking forward to it at least, if all else fails there's always Forza Horizon 3 soon so it's not all bad.

Thanks for your impressions, really appreciate it

jesu

leave Detroit lol!

asocirev

I agree with this. I spent about 2-3 hours "practicing" Flappy Goat. I took a long break and when I sat down in the evening got it within 5 mins. It comes down to practice, patience and breaks!

Flux

I agree with this. I spent about 2-3 hours "practicing" Flappy Goat. I took a long break and when I sat down in the evening got it within 5 mins. It comes down to practice, patience and breaks!

I got it again the other day. Took what felt like forever. The frustrating thing is knowing I did it before and that there is only so much practice gets you. I got it after hitting a score of 9 4 times and with the game crashing.

From my experience, load up a new world. Don't hit anything and go straight to the TV. The bad collision physics caused framerate drops sporadically when objects in the world decided to go nuts and that can make you hit a wall. Also, you may notice that when cars drive by (you can hear it) the framerate also dips, affecting your inputs. It's hard to compensate for those things because the its just random nonsense so just stick to your plan and repeat if something goes wrong.

I had The Crew already in my Ready to install list, this was the trial at first but i assume i should install this now and i'll be good?

What about the graphical enhancements, is that already in or a seperate thing i need to download?

So i changed those settings for the handling and it definitely feels a lot better. It clearly looks a lot better too, i still notice plenty of aliasing but overall it looks a lot better than before Wild Run.

SCB3

The real annoying thing is XCOM Enemy Within is now BC but Enemy Unknown is on GWG but you cannot buy the updated version separately

I tried to change my region to Japan to get slash dash but when I click on the buy button it asks me to sign in again but I can't because the typing field is in Japanese. Anyone having this problem?

Monocle

I've only played the beta but there's a 'fix' to considerably improve the handling:

via https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2lomsy/for_those_hating_the_crews_driving_try_this/

Worth a try.
Thanks for this!

Those settings worked great for me, aside from putting my car handling help level on Hardcore, which made my steering feel a little sloppy, as though my car's inertia resisted sudden swerves. I prefer the arcadey physics of Burnout, with instantly responsive steering. Keeping the handling help level on Full Assist gave me more of that feeling.

Next I'm going to try the Sport setting and see how it compares.

Chris1

I tried to change my region to Japan to get slash dash but when I click on the buy button it asks me to sign in again but I can't because the typing field is in Japanese. Anyone having this problem?

Just put your email and password in? Email first box, password second, hit login.

You don't have to actually type in Japanese lol.

Just put your email and password in? Email first box, password second, hit login.

You don't have to actually type in Japanese lol.
I tried that it said my password was invalid and before I typed there where grayed out kanji characters in the password field.

Chris1

I tried that it said my password was invalid and before I typed there where grayed out kanji characters in the password field.
Dunno it worked for me... have you tried a different browser?

Steering sensitivity at 3/4 means i put the slider from the left to the right about 3 or 4 times? I'm not too good with that.

It means move it up to 3/4 way through the bar instead of 1/2. Moving it up 3 sounds about right though.

Montresor

Has anyone tried the new Goat Simulator DLC? Since it was a recent GWG and has new DLC, I'm keen to try it out and get the full 2000/2000 gs in the game.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Has anyone tried the new Goat Simulator DLC? Since it was a recent GWG and has new DLC, I'm keen to try it out and get the full 2000/2000 gs in the game.

mj-laughing.gif

First time I started it it said free trial as well. I had to go into my ready to Install list and see that it was still there and click on it again to get the full version.
You in the new preview program? I am and the store has been acting up I had to try to dl the game like 5 times before I didnt get a error msg about there being an problem on their end.

I enjoy The Crew. Couldn't give a crap about the racing or tuning car specs etc lol, but I really like just driving round looking at all the different things.

Have always been like that, old school Midtown Madness just loved driving around the city, dreamed one day they'll make games with HUGE open worlds to drive around in going to all sorts of different places. :D

The only problem is in games like this sometimes I go somewhere then I'm like oh I wish I could get out of the car and have a look around. :p

Also this happened:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Linkx NZ/video/18657745

lol.

Top Bottom