• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

bradigor

Had Tumblestone on my Steam wishlist for ages now, awaiting its release. So to have it pop up on GwG is a bonus for me.

It looks like it lacks the polish and art-style of some of the well received puzzlers, but I like the mechanics of it from the outside looking in

Alx

I always wanted to try Tron Evolution. Even if the game isn't great, it's still Tron. ^^
Not interested in the rest though.

The Banner Saga 2 might be the best game that has appeared on GWG on Xbox One. It's so sad to see most people dismissive because it's not a AAA title.

Both xb1 games shouldn't be sniffed at.

The banner 2 looks massive and tumblestone actually looks like an interesting match 3 game.

I know this may rub some people up the wrong way but if these games arent triple A games who cares?

They aren't terrible. Its not like they are giving you ET, duke nukem or Aliens Colonial Marines.

Then there could be something to whinge about.

Vert boil

PR is out for Tumblestone confirming GwG.

Seattle, Washington - June 28, 2016 – Independent developer The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild announced the release date for its original action-puzzle game Tumblestone for PlayStation®4, Wii U™, Xbox One, and Steam (Windows, Mac, and Linux).

Tumblestone is the first original action-puzzle game of the past fifteen years – completely reinventing the genre into a deep and cerebral puzzle solving experience. Diverging from the staid match-3 formula of Bejeweled, Tumblestone strips out all the random gem flipping junk, and elevates the genre with unique puzzles and intense multiplayer gameplay in the spirit of Tetris Attack and Dr. Mario. This isn’t a game for people who want to lull themselves to sleep, no, Tumblestone is for gamers who love old-school puzzle games!

Brought to life with beautiful hand-painted artwork, Tumblestone offers several deep and exciting game modes for both single-player and competitive multiplayer. Help the Sausage King make friends and discover what happened to the Tumblecrown in the 40-hour story campaign featuring twelve worlds, each with a unique twist on the core mechanic. Test your mettle with up to four players in local and online multiplayer, or take on the world with ranked matchmaking and leaderboards. Indulge in multiple arcade modes, including fast-paced Heartbeat mode, brainy Infinipuzzle mode, and relaxing Marathon mode.

Tumblestone is coming to PlayStation®4, Wii U™, and Steam on July 12 th for $24.99, and to Xbox One as part of Games with Gold on July 16 th. This title is rated E (Everyone) by the ESRB.

Very solid month for Xbox One. Enjoyed Tron on 360 as well.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tumblestone doesn't look anyway near as bad as the reactions in here lead me to think. Tetris Attack / Magical Drop hybrid with multiplayer isn't horrible, even if the presentation is kinda dull (like many, many puzzle games now-a-days.)

Banner Saga 2... Maybe they'll put the first one on 50% off sale at the same time? If so, I'd love to get the first as well. Gorgeous hand-drawn animation there.

Tron Evo... sure, why not! In a way, this kinda stuff that not many might have, but are a fun curiosity, are kinda nice too. Surprised to see this had multiplayer, weird.

R6V 2... this is more the type of thing many, many people purchased, so it can be found for cheap like... anywhere. I doubt I'll get much out of it, but welcome to the digital library? Good for the community though! Happy for those who'll get a temp boost.

I actually rather like the months with a variety of games for different audiences. It sucks when everything is basically "mature" gore, violence, or, coarse-language fest. And there's been a lot of racing games (all the Dirt games, The Crew, etc) on GWG too, so it's nice to see something different.

Norci7

Tumblestone doesn't look anyway near as bad as the reactions in here lead me to think. Tetris Attack / Magical Drop hybrid with multiplayer isn't horrible, even if the presentation is kinda dull (like many, many puzzle games now-a-days.)

Banner Saga 2... Maybe they'll put the first one on 50% off sale at the same time? If so, I'd love to get the first as well. Gorgeous hand-drawn animation there.

Tron Evo... sure, why not! In a way, this kinda stuff that not many might have, but are a fun curiosity, are kinda nice too. Surprised to see this had multiplayer, weird.

R6V 2... this is more the type of thing many, many people purchased, so it can be found for cheap like... anywhere. I doubt I'll get much out of it, but welcome to the digital library? Good for the community though! Happy for those who'll get a temp boost.

I actually rather like the months with a variety of games for different audiences. It sucks when everything is basically "mature" gore, violence, or, coarse-language fest. And there's been a lot of racing games (all the Dirt games, The Crew, etc) on GWG too, so it's nice to see something different.

My guess is that Banner Saga will be included in the Summer Sale.

Chris1

Banner Saga 2 is out a month ahead of normal release?

Smells like rushed out for GWG... Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a disaster technically.

KentBlake

In my opinion:

Banner Saga 2: Amazing. I'd buy it anyway.

R6V2: Never played a R6 game before. Maybe I'll enjoy it.

Tron Evolution: I know nothing about this game. But I don't own it, so that's a plus (last month I already had every game).

Tumblestone: WTF? I looks like a F2P match-3 phone game. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Overall a good month for me, personally. And I don't own any of the games (for the first time in many many months for Xbox AND PlayStation).

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
My guess is that Banner Saga will be included in the Summer Sale.

Would be smart, hopefully so. A nice, deep discount + Already owning the Sequel / Having it on the way would be very enticing.
Banner Saga 2 is out a month ahead of normal release?

Smells like rushed out for GWG... Wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be a disaster technically.

Even if it does, this doesn't bother me much if they're willing to patch it up and fix it.

If the trade for getting a brand new game for free is that it might have some technical issues / might be a bit of an "Early Access" style situation, where players will help the devs shine the thing up, that's honestly not horrible...

...as long as they fix it, and fast. Set up that 2 way interaction from Day 0, let people know you're communicating, send out messages over the updates on XBL, Twitter, etc. If they want us to be patient with them, they have to give us a reason.

Chris1

Even if it does, this doesn't bother me much if they're willing to patch it up and fix it.

If the trade for getting a brand new game for free is that it might have some technical issues / might be a bit of an "Early Access" style situation, where players will help the devs shine the thing up, that's honestly not horrible...

...as long as they fix it, and fast. Set up that 2 way interaction from Day 0, let people know you're communicating, send out messages over the updates on XBL, Twitter, etc. If they want us to be patient with them, they have to give us a reason.

Don't really agree with that logic at all. Why not make it August 1 GWG then? That's closer to the original release and they'd actually be releasing a working game. That way it could be free for a few days extra, or delay the release on XB1 by a few days like they are doing with Tumblestone.

Release the game when it's finished, don't release it half cocked up. By the time the patches fix stuff up people will have moved on and won't really be interested in going back.

Of course just speculation, the game could turn out fine, and if so good job on the devs but if it's a disaster I'm gonna be disappointed. I guess we'll see soon enough.. but based on previous games that have been rushed to make GwG I'm not holding my breath.

Ha, I just looked it up and thought "are you kidding?" Looks like a really terrible phone game that middle aged housewives love to play ala Candy Crush.
Honestly, Tumblestone is actually super fun. Played a bit of it at PAX. It's a match-3, sure. But the head-to-head multiplayer gets extremely fun and competitive. Deceptively simple game.

enemy2k

Definitely great month for me. I own Banner Saga 1 on my Android, it will be nice to have the sequel on X1. I have Vegas 1 on 360 but never owned 2 so that's a nice addition to my BC digital library. Always wanted to try Tron back in the 360 days just because Tron and cool colors but never wanted to pay for it. So it'll be cool to check that out. Puzzle games are usually hit or miss for me so I'll have to give Tumblestone a try.

Flux

I hope banner saga 1 goes on sale soon. Seems to be very story and narrative driven so it doesn't make much sense to me to jump to 2. Plus, it looks like a game I would enjoy.

I'll give tumbles tone a shot, pretty sure I rented the tron game before and rainbow six is old, and was free with Seige.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Don't really agree with that logic at all. Why not make it August 1 GWG then? That's closer to the original release and they'd actually be releasing a working game. That way it could be free for a few days extra, or delay the release on XB1 by a few days like they are doing with Tumblestone.

Release the game when it's finished, don't release it half cocked up. By the time the patches fix stuff up people will have moved on and won't really be interested in going back.

Of course just speculation, the game could turn out fine, and if so good job on the devs but if it's a disaster I'm gonna be disappointed. I guess we'll see soon enough.. but based on previous games that have been rushed to make GwG I'm not holding my breath.

Because it's not the way things work, for some reason? Maybe the early exclusive gets them some extra monetary incentive, which can be cycled back into working on the game anyway? In the end, if the game becomes a better product, and all it took was a couple weeks of imperfection, the win is much longer lasting than the small time of discomfort.

It's definitely not the ideal, but if given that as a framework, It's also not a worse-case scenario.

Most GWG aren't something I planned to buy immediately half the time, so they're always a bonus. If it's perfect on release, great, DIVE RIGHT IN! If not... it won't disappear from my backlog, and even if I delete it, if I hear it's great 2 months later, it's still something I own.

I hope it comes out with no issues, though! That would definitely be best. But even if it has some... it's not that big a deal, as long as it gets sorted swiftly. The part I'll really take away from it, in the end is that I have another solid game to play.

Chris1

Because it's not the way things work, for some reason? Maybe the early exclusive gets them some extra monetary incentive, which can be cycled back into working on the game anyway? In the end, if the game becomes a better product, and all it took was a couple weeks of imperfection, the win is much longer lasting than the small time of discomfort.

It's definitely not the ideal, but if given that as a framework, It's also not a worse-case scenario.

Most GWG aren't something I planned to buy immediately half the time, so they're always a bonus. If it's perfect on release, great, DIVE RIGHT IN! If not... it won't disappear from my backlog, and even if I delete it, if I hear it's great 2 months later, it's still something I own.

I hope it comes out with no issues, though! That would definitely be best. But even if it has some... it's not that big a deal, as long as it gets sorted swiftly. The part I'll really take away from it, in the end is that I have another solid game to play.

I try almost every GWG for 30 min ish to see if I like it, if not it gets dropped forever and I move on. If a game is technically messed I'll just drop it and probably not go back to it because I've moved on. Pool Nation FX for example was a mess at launch, I think I played one game and deleted it off my hard drive due to long loading screens and constant crashes.. Maybe it's fixed now but the first impression was a bad one I'll never load it up again. And I was actually kinda looking forward to that game aswell.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I try to keep as up to date with my backlog as possible and honestly don't have the time to stack up all the GWG's for months :p So I find it easier to try it out and get it out the way ASAP rather than saving up a ton of games for x amount of months down the line.

Akai__

I totally forgot about Tron: Evolutions. used to play this at my friends house a coupple times and loved it. Seems like a game that I will 100%.

Chris1

Banner Saga 1 isn't available in JP, I assume same will be true for 2. So there will be another game people can get from the JP region. Any idea what that will be Ekim?

Noobcraft

Rainbow 6 Vegas 2. That's the game where you can make the main protagonist (Bishop?) a girl and one of the characters is like "you look different" right? I played through that whole game co-op with friends a while back. I wonder how it has aged.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maybe I'm in the minority but I try to keep as up to date with my backlog as possible and honestly don't have the time to stack up all the GWG's for months :p So I find it easier to try it out and get it out the way ASAP rather than saving up a ton of games for x amount of months down the line.

That's fine and all, but again, it's still in your library. You still "own" it as long as you have gold. Considering we've still got people playing Pacman and classic console games, who knows how this digital collection will turn out 2, 5, or 10 or more years from now? What kinda sucks or is annoying in the short term could be absolutely awesome in the long run.

Heck, with Back-Compat on X1, I find myself playing some early 360 games over again, some fully, some for just a few moments. There's something really weird about seeing old leaderboards that still hold my old scores, and seeing if I can challenge them now, years later. I even had a friend randomly challenge me to Lumines when I was messing with it, and we spent some time in online MP... totally wasn't expecting that!

I kind of like the fact that PS+ and GWG have me loaded up with a variety of games from different genres and publishers. If there's a dry spell, and I need something to fill a genre, I actually have loads of options just waiting on my download list, that I don't even need to pay new money for. It's amazing how much quality gaming one can get for ridiculously cheap prices now-a-days.

Top Bottom