• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

flkraven

Isn't Banner Saga pretty story focused? Although I appreciate a new game, I basically won't touch it if it is since I haven't played the first. It's like if we got Mass Effect 2 or something.

I've eyed up Banner Saga 1 for a long time now, but never pulled the trigger for some reason, guess I will have to do now (which makes the addition of the second game a smart move, I think, maybe...)

Looks right up my alley. Excited.

ekim

Isn't Banner Saga pretty story focused? Although I appreciate a new game, I basically won't touch it if it is since I haven't played the first. It's like if we got Mass Effect 2 or something.

Yes it's very story heavy. There is a recap video present in BS2.

Chris1

will check. What other games weren't available?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

Defense Grid 2, Costume Quest 2, Thief, TWD S1, TRDE, ACBF, Rayman, Castle Storm DE, Worms Battleground & Volgar the Viking.

Also Pool nation but it just says "unavailable in Japan" not sure if they got any replacements.

It's probably Max TCOB again as they always get that, but the last 4 times they've given away 3 new games (Kalimba, Slash Dash and Lococyle) as replacements.

Super disappointing month...again.

The Banner Saga 2 is intriguing, but I don't know if I'll like it all that much because it's not a type of game I play often. Tumblestone looks like another boring puzzle game. And I've beaten the other two.

ekim

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_with_Gold_games

Defense Grid 2, Costume Quest 2, Thief, TWD S1, TRDE, ACBF, Rayman, Castle Storm DE, Worms Battleground & Volgar the Viking.

Also Pool nation but it just says "unavailable in Japan" not sure if they got any replacements.

It's probably Max TCOB again as they always get that, but the last 4 times they've given away 3 new games (Kalimba, Slash Dash and Lococyle) as replacements.

hm... so I'm not 100% sure but it looks like it's coming. (BS2) Don't quote me on that :eek:

To be fair, I started Mass Effect 2 first, and I still loved the story and was heavily invested. Didn't play 1 until like two years later.

MisterR

It's kind or interesting to see the differences in this thread and the PS Plus one. This is a lineup that would be just skewered on PS Plus, but gets much more positive reaction in here. Maybe the Xbox fanbase is more upbeat or understanding.

Malcolm9

It's kind or interesting to see the differences in this thread and the PS Plus one. This is a lineup that would be just skewered on PS Plus, but gets much more positive reaction in here. Maybe the Xbox fanbase is more upbeat or understanding.

Not really, I saw a lot of people moan like hell when Sony was smashing it with Plus on the PS3 because GwG was nowhere near the same standard.

I guess after the last few months people are happy to have a so called "lesser" month.

EBreda

Tron is actually pretty cool. I finally completed it when it was added to backcompat.

Solid month, Banner Saga is no slouch.

This is the first month since GWG started that I don't already own any of the games, so I'm happy for that reason. In fact it's the first time I haven't owned at least 2 of them.

Falchion

Pretty good month since I have Banner Saga 1 on PS4 and now will have 2 ready to go as soon as I finish. I'll also play through Tron at some point.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Tumblestone is suppose to be a $19.99 game? Eesh. How? It looks like a perfect $10 value downloadable. The presentation I saw in the trailer didn't make it look as if it deserved such a high premium price in the slightest. Seems like a bad price point, that will get the game even more negativity than it deserves.

Tumblestone is suppose to be a $19.99 game? Eesh. How? It looks like a perfect $10 value downloadable. The presentation I saw in the trailer didn't make it look as if it deserved such a high premium price in the slightest. Seems like a bad price point, that will get the game even more negativity than it deserves.
I just read the press release for tumblestone and it says to expect a $24.99 price.

cackhyena

How would one go about transferring game data for R6 if I already had it on 360? Is that all just on my account and when i boot it up on XB1, it'll be there?

amdb00mer

I just read the press release for tumblestone and it says to expect a $24.99 price.

I enjoy a good puzzle game, but $24.99 does seem kind of high. Good thing it's free next month. otherwise I would prefer to add $15.00 to that $24.99 and pre-order ReCore instead. Which I already did.

jamsy

So for those who have planed The Banner Saga 2, do you get the option of
choosing what happens in the first game? (ie who lives/dies at the end of the game)

I played the first game on PC and liked it, so would be nice to be able to "continue" with the sequel on the X1.

How is Banner Saga? Do we need to play 1? Why did GwG do this!?
The Banner Saga is utterly outstanding. The story is told extremely well, the characters are varied and unique, the art style unique and satisfying, and the combat is sublime.

I played The Banner Saga 1 earlier this month and could not put it down. I thought about it at work and would get anxious to play it when I got home. It mesmerized me, I can't put it any other way.

MechDX

How would one go about transferring game data for R6 if I already had it on 360? Is that all just on my account and when i boot it up on XB1, it'll be there?

Up load your 360 games save to cloud storage from the 360. When you start it on the One it will automatically download

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

(O_O);;;;;

I enjoy a good puzzle game, but $24.99 does seem kind of high. Good thing it's free next month. otherwise I would prefer to add $15.00 to that $24.99 and pre-order ReCore instead. Which I already did.

I miss the days when puzzle games had outstanding presentations that made them feel as valuable as other games. Like I'd consider buying something like Heroes Never Die on Steam for a higher price, since it has nice presentation and production value. But a game that looks to do basically the least amount possible to say that it's active and on screen does not scream "buy me at a premium price!"

So for those who have planed The Banner Saga 2, do you get the option of
choosing what happens in the first game? (ie who lives/dies at the end of the game)

I played the first game on PC and liked it, so would be nice to be able to "continue" with the sequel on the X1.

From the "Before you Buy..." video for the game, it sounds like the game is suppose to transfer your saves over if you have a previous file on the first game (going by the PC version I'd guess). But if you haven't played the previous, it shows a primer of what happened in game one, and then lets you weigh in on the final defining choice, and play as if you made it in game 1.

I have BS1 on Android but haven't played it yet. I plan to, eventually.

Getting BS2 for free is great. Hopefully there's no carryover from 1->2 in term of game saves or anything.

munroe

Do they often announce the total price saved in the promotional material? Not seen it before. Is it $69 each time?

Edit:nm just looked back at other months and they do and always vary in total price

Solid month for me. I've always been interested in Banner Saga but was afraid it might not be for me. I have no issue with jumping in on 2, so I'm really happy to get to try it. With Tron I don't have high expectations but it does look like something I would have fun playing. Those are the kinds of experience I'm happy to get with GwG.

speedomodel

Not bad month, I guess. Was hoping for better 360 games to be honest. Banner Saga is awesome though, was interested in it so definitely glad to get it for free.

Do I need to have played the first?

Montresor

Banner Saga 2 = looks to be excellent but I don't like tactical RPGs
R6 Vegas 2 = looks to be good/great but I don't like tactical FPSs
Tumbelstone = I love puzzle games but this one seems a bit... underwhelming. I will keep an open mind and check reviews
Tron: Revolution = I don't know much about this game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So looks to be a solid month, just not in genres that I'm interested in. That's fine by me. Better for my backlog. And great for others because Banner Saga 2 appears to be legitimately awesome.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Vegas 2 is alright. Banner Saga 2 is weird if only because they theoretically said you could carry over choices from the last game.

Top Bottom