• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBL: Games with Gold

cbrun44

Hah, I can't download because I took my credit card off file, and took off autorenew. Now they won't let me download unless I put another card up.

Same issue here. Microsoft is continually making my gradual transition to Sony much much easier...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hah, I can't download because I took my credit card off file, and took off autorenew. Now they won't let me download unless I put another card up.

add your paypal account, authorize it on the paypal side, and then deauthorize it on the paypal side.

DarkFlow

Banned
Damn, guess I played Vegas a lot back in the day. I was a Col when I logged in today lol. Sadly people think I'm good when I go into a lobby now. Little do they know its been years since I've played.

Really? Oh I swear it was on the first month with the Games With Gold but I guess I'm wrong.

When they announced the program, they said the Assassin's Creed 2 and Halo 3 would be two of the games. AC2 was one of the first, but we still haven't gotten Halo 3.

Damn, guess I played Vegas a lot back in the day. I was a Col when I logged in today lol. Sadly people think I'm good when I go into a lobby now. Little do they know its been years since I've played.

The joke's on them right?

Let me guess, the first game you played was attack and defend in Calypso?

Multiplayer gaming goodness right there.

Clash of Heroes is an amazing game. Got it in a PS+ sale a month or so ago, and am having a blast with it. Looking forward to playing it on 360 as well.

It would be great if we got more recent games. I went to start up R6V the other day and it looked awful. My how we have been spoiled.

Another title nobody cares about. Seriously wtf where's Halo?

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 3 was the final Game with Gold.

It's bizarre that they would drop that name in June and wait this long without releasing it or even announcing when it would be available.

This whole program has just been... strange.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
This promotion gets more and more baffling with each announcement.

Clash of Heroes is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it's certainly a surprising choice. It's been on sale numerous times so most people who were interested have probably already got it, and it's not really something that's going to convince everyone that Games with Gold is an amazing deal for Gold members.

And why are people clamoring for Halo 3, surely everyone owns Halo 3?

Meanwhile, Playstation Plus members get Far Cry 3. Thanks Microsoft.

Clash of Heroes is a great game, don't get me wrong, but it's certainly a surprising choice. It's been on sale numerous times so most people who were interested have probably already got it, and it's not really something that's going to convince everyone that Games with Gold is an amazing deal for Gold members.

Exactly. They're giving away games that aren't selling anymore. They're not really losing anything since they already made all of the money they were going to make from sales and they get to say, "We gave you X free games." Their marketing isn't going to mention that those free games sucked or were pretty much dead from a sales perspective. And they're holding back Halo 3 to keep people checking in on the program until the very end. I thought the idea of the Games with Gold promotion was pretty good when it was announced, but it's turned out to be nothing but a disappointment. I haven't gotten a single good game that I didn't already own from it.

Meanwhile, Playstation Plus members get Far Cry 3. Thanks Microsoft.

looks like i gotta clear my fridge

While free games are free games, it does seem this promotion isn't just half baked, but more than a few important ingredients were omitted from the mix. I could be wrong, but I saw the main intent of this program was to counter Sony's momentum and goodwill gained with ps+. I don't think I'm too off the mark in feeling that MS wanted to bring some of that to their own table going into next gen. MS wanted a check in the free game column and steal some of Sony's thunder. However the games they are putting up have sucked all the excitement out of the promotion (speaking for myself only), and created not just disinterest but indifference. Not exactly the end goal I feel MS had in mind.

With this program I feel Microsoft should have taken this opportunity to really wow current gold members and possibly sway those fence sitters debating between next gen consoles. That would have been the smart move. The obvious move. The move we should have expected. Though at every turn, every opportunity they had to make an impact, they oddly decided to offer up 360 bargain bin games and 8 year old launch titles. Just as another user said "It is baffling".
I can say as someone who has enjoyed my 360 and bought in to the whole xbox experience for two gens, Microsoft would have been better off not launching this promotion. Instead of continually releasing games that not only make them appear cheap, desperate and disappoint their customers, they should have done nothing. How could anyone have looked at the list of games and thought 'Yes, this is going to create excitement, these are games gamer will be excited about" ? I don't get it.

The decision making displayed here has been extremely perplexing, but at the same time absolutely amazing. Never in my life have I seen company go on a five month spree of giving away free product and mostly succeed in only upsetting a large swath of their customer base at almost every turn. If that was the goal, well you kudos to you MS. Though something tells me that isn't the case.

cuilan

This is the first game they're offering that I already own. Sucks for me, but it's a nice game though. The only bad thing I can say about it is that the load times can be way too long.

Also, I'm enjoying R6V's MP a lot more now than I did back in the day.

flkraven

Going back and looking at the list of publishers in Games with Gold:

Might & Magic Clash of Heroes - Ubisoft
Rainbow Six Vegas - Ubisoft
Magic: The Gathering - Microsoft
Dead Rising 2 - Capcom
Crackdown - Microsoft
Assassin's Creed 2 - Ubisoft
Defense Grid: The Awakening - Microsoft
Fable 3 - Microsoft

Announced, but net yet received

Halo 3 - Microsoft

So essentially, games with gold is just Microsoft and Ubisoft giving away games (except that 1 time where Capcom did). I mean, come on. Does Microsoft have zero good will with any other company that they cant scrape together a few more AAA games? I don't mean to be insulting to the latest game being offered, as I am sure it is a good game. However, Microsoft started this program by announcing Halo 3, Fable 3, and AC2 - all AAA titles (albiet, old, but AAA none the less).

These game offerings aren't bad, but they just come off as lazy. Especially when a quick glance over at the competition reveals a hearty, healthy mix of indie and AAA titles being given away all the time. Where is all that EA goodwill? Where are the better Microsoft games? Even older AAA titles seem a little less lazy (Gears of War 1, Mass Effect 1)

I am probably coming off like an entitled whiner, but I do not mean to be. I have been a big Microsoft supporter, and I want to continue to be. It just seems that they try to do everything in their power to disappoint. They reveal this program with several examples that lead to obvious assumptions about said program and then they WAY underdeliver.

/rant

I can't even be bothered to download their latest 'offering'. These games are so old and when you look at what PS+ is giving there's no comparison. They've had stuff like AC3, Far Cry 3, Dragons Dogma etc and we've been served this tripe.

This promotion seems like it's doing more harm than good. If they couldn't secure more recent AAA games then they shouldn't have bothered.

I can't wait until I get my PS4. I get better value from my PS+ subscription with my Vita (I don't have a PS3)

Really hope this program goes out with a bang. Like a retail title that's been released within the last year that made a buttload of money and is getting a sequel anyway. Use it as a tool to sell the sequel/DLC.

qko

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Halo 3 was the final Game with Gold.

It's bizarre that they would drop that name in June and wait this long without releasing it or even announcing when it would be available.

This whole program has just been... strange.

End the program with the best game with the most replayability, on a platform that will not be compatible for the new platform.... in order to advertise the new plaform. Makes no sense.

I can't even be bothered to download their latest 'offering'. These games are so old and when you look at what PS+ is giving there's no comparison. They've had stuff like AC3, Far Cry 3, Dragons Dogma etc and we've been served this tripe.

This promotion seems like it's doing more harm than good. If they couldn't secure more recent AAA games then they shouldn't have bothered.

This is ridiculous. PS+ serves almost entirely as a rental platform (for which you have a sub exclusively for that purpose) on the consoles, as great as it is as soon as you unsubscribe you lose access to those games until you re-sub.

XBL service lets you keep the games even if you cancel your sub.

I can understand the disappointment in these games but lets not ignore the facts for hyperbole. "Tripe" and "more harm than good" is just, uugh. Don't be silly.

JesseZao

I can't wait until I get my PS4. I get better value from my PS+ subscription with my Vita (I don't have a PS3)

and lucky for you, if you keep your 360, you don't have to have gold to keep playing these!

Cels

might and magic clash of heroes (2011) is supposed to be a pretty good game and it's by capybara who i like a lot.

obviously PS+'s games are way better (EU gets Far Cry 3, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, GIana Sisters, and SFxT/Katamari for vita) but hard to compare when you have to continue subbing to keep playing those games.

Dead Rising 2 - Capcom
Crackdown - Microsoft
Fable 3 - Microsoft

To be fair Magic 2013 and Defense Grid aren't first party Microsoft titles. Microsoft may have published them on XBLA but I don't think they can just say "hey we want to give your game away, deal with it"

Dead Rising 2 - Capcom
Crackdown - Microsoft
Fable 3 - Microsoft

Announced, but net yet received

Halo 3 - Microsoft

So essentially, games with gold is just Microsoft and Ubisoft giving away games (except that 1 time where Capcom did). I mean, come on. Does Microsoft have zero good will with any other company that they cant scrape together a few more AAA games? I don't mean to be insulting to the latest game being offered, as I am sure it is a good game. However, Microsoft started this program by announcing Halo 3, Fable 3, and AC2 - all AAA titles (albiet, old, but AAA none the less).

These game offerings aren't bad, but they just come off as lazy. Especially when a quick glance over at the competition reveals a hearty, healthy mix of indie and AAA titles being given away all the time. Where is all that EA goodwill? Where are the better Microsoft games? Even older AAA titles seem a little less lazy (Gears of War 1, Mass Effect 1)

I am probably coming off like an entitled whiner, but I do not mean to be. I have been a big Microsoft supporter, and I want to continue to be. It just seems that they try to do everything in their power to disappoint. They reveal this program with several examples that lead to obvious assumptions about said program and then they WAY underdeliver.

/rant

I'm pretty sure Capcom agreed to this to help promote Dead Rising 3 for the XBone. It didn't work on me, though, because I downloaded DR2 and thought it was pure ass.

This is ridiculous. PS+ serves almost entirely as a rental platform (for which you have a sub exclusively for that purpose) on the consoles, as great as it is as soon as you unsubscribe you lose access to those games until you re-sub.

XBL service lets you keep the games even if you cancel your sub.

I can understand the disappointment in these games but lets not ignore the facts for hyperbole. "Tripe" and "more harm than good" is just, uugh. Don't be silly.

I kind of went on a rant lol

My point is that it's about delivering value. With Gold I've had 20 points on my birthday. That's about 16p. Not really a lot you can treat yourself too. Even if the PS+ free games is like a rental service, it's still delivering value with the content that they give you. Sony have been providing PS3 owners with games that are only 1-2 years old. MS on the other hand have been providing us with 5-6 year old games.

This whole thing has been about trying to keep people sweet before the X1 releases but from what I can tell looking at this thread, it isn't working.

It just seems to me like Sony really want you to sub to PS+ and will reward you for doing so whereas MS give you the middle finger if you don't get Gold. They lock down pretty much all online functionality. That's not doing what's best for the consumer in my book.

Top Bottom