• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Alx

Real Steel is like one of the secret best selling games on XBLA. It always appears in the Top 10-20 if not much else is going on. I guess people really wanted a boxing game.

I still don't understand why they didn't make a Real Steel kinect game... it's right there in the plot of the movie !
So, the game is good ? Since the demo was multiplayer only, I didn't get to try it...

Card Boy

Banned
Real Steel is like one of the secret best selling games on XBLA. It always appears in the Top 10-20 if not much else is going on. I guess people really wanted a boxing game.

Fight Night Champion has gone 600MSP afew times, wouldn't that be better?

aku:jiki

I've been stuck on the same fight in Way of the Dogg for like half an hour because the shit the game sucks at just piles up in this fight:

- Framerate keeps fucking the inputs up. Button presses randomly not registering galore.
- When it's your turn to strike, you have to input 1-5 buttons in sequence, very quickly. Problem is, that box doesn't take inputs quickly enough and if there's 3+, you can barely make it. I am capable of pressing the buttons faster, but the game isn't capable of registering them fast enough. What the fuck?
- In said box, there's an input for a quarter circle. That motherfucker registers like 30% of the time. So much fun to lose a fight because I got two of those and didn't stand a chance.
- They have sudden, random tempo changes within the same line! With absolutely no graphical indication whatsoever! What kind of a dumbass, bullshit idea is that?

Other things that suck:

- Their cutscene artist is so bad. In every single frame, Snoop looks different.
- G-funk shit from 1994? I mean, does anyone really listen to this song unironically?

Fuck it, I gave the game like 2 hours over the weekend. Back to Terraria!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I've been stuck on the same fight in Way of the Dogg for like half an hour because the shit the game sucks at just piles up in this fight:

- Framerate keeps fucking the inputs up. Button presses randomly not registering galore.
- When it's your turn to strike, you have to input 1-5 buttons in sequence, very quickly. Problem is, that box doesn't take inputs quickly enough and if there's 3+, you can barely make it. I am capable of pressing the buttons faster, but the game isn't capable of registering them fast enough. What the fuck?
- In said box, there's an input for a quarter circle. That motherfucker registers like 30% of the time. So much fun to lose a fight because I got two of those and didn't stand a chance.
- They have sudden, random tempo changes within the same line! With absolutely no graphical indication whatsoever! What kind of a dumbass, bullshit idea is that?

Other things that suck:

- Their cutscene artist is so bad. In every single frame, Snoop looks different.
- G-funk shit from 1994? I mean, does anyone really listen to this song unironically?

Fuck it, I gave the game like 2 hours over the weekend. Back to Terraria!
Uh, yes? That's a classic right there.

Was anything announced for next week? I'm getting kind of worried about Monaco.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Finished off The Simpsons Arcade. I feel a little better about it since I've purchased and played through it a half dozen times than I did the last time I played it (on a friend's MAME cabinet a few years ago). I still think it's a pretty weak beat-em-up: shallow, quarter-feeding, short--and it's really weird, because for a game that purports to be a Simpsons game many of the stages, characters, and particularly the bosses have nothing to do with the Simpsons and actually don't even fit the style of the Simpsons at all. Bizarre.

Also like a lot of beat-em-ups, it makes the classic folly of throwing more enemies at you the more players there are. There are some segments of the game where with four players the whole screen is basically filled with identical enemies.

One of my online playthroughs I got matched with some randoms who I assume were 7 years old or less, because they literally just walked in random directions and pressed random buttons. I'd clear out all the enemies on the screen and they'd just stand around or walk to the left side of the screen until the game put a big giant finger GO GO GO GO GO MOVE ON up on the screen. Ugh. My second online playthrough was better since I got some actual human beings playing with me hahaha.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Finished off The Simpsons Arcade. I feel a little better about it since I've purchased and played through it a half dozen times than I did the last time I played it (on a friend's MAME cabinet a few years ago). I still think it's a pretty weak beat-em-up: shallow, quarter-feeding, short--and it's really weird, because for a game that purports to be a Simpsons game many of the stages, characters, and particularly the bosses have nothing to do with the Simpsons and actually don't even fit the style of the Simpsons at all. Bizarre.

Totally. Most Konami beat-em-ups seem to be designed from the same template, you can't beat them unless you keep feeding them quarters.

Gaspode_T

The experience of playing those beat em ups in the arcade back in the day was totally different...the pressure of .25 cents to a young kid is a big deal, you want to get as far as you can on that one insert coin...so when you have multiple people standing next to you it is even more adrenaline pumping and exciting...I remember The Simpsons was at the peak of when I was into the show so I was eating up the game on some sort of fan love of Bart and all the little gags...same with TMNT, I must have spent huge amount of money on TMNT!

I wish there was a way to make the beat em up games more interesting and modern without making the online play too competitive. They almost need to do something like take MMORPG raid concepts and apply them to a 2D plane, so you need teamwork to beat the "hard bosses", D.O.T., tanking, etc. I would be all over that...Sacred Citadel having RPG elements is not bad to me, but I understand it might feel out of place if there is no long term progression / reward. I still haven't tried that one, unfortunately it screams "wait for me to go on sale" in every way...

Vert boil

https://twitter.com/MonacoIsMine/status/331488482193182721
Monaco XBLA launch take TWO! THIS FRIDAY, May 10, gear up for the heist of the century on XBLA!

BJmvBKyCEAIDKCD.png

Vert boil

I'll update throughout the day.

DOTW

Joy Ride Turbo - 400msp (was 800) (this most likely has been listed incorrectly. Should be available to everyone.)
Serious Sam: The First Encounter - 400msp (was 800)
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter - 400msp (was 800)
Serious Sam 3: BFE - 400msp (was 800)
--Jewel of the Nile - 400msp (was 800)
Serious Sam Double D XXL - 400msp (was 800)

-----

Bejeweled 3 - 600msp (was 1200) (only showing up as reduced in the uk atm)
Home Run Stars - 320msp (was 800)
ilomilo - 400msp (was 800)
Quake Arena Arcade - 400msp (was 800)

Ass Rev - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400msp/30$) US price, check your region

Dishonored - 2400msp/30$ (was 4800/60$) US price, check your region

DJ Hero 2
--David Guetta Mix pack 01 - 320msp (was 640) (works with #1 as well)
--Hit Makers Mix pack - 320msp (was 640)

Fallout: New Vegas - 1200msp/15$ (was 1600/20$) US price, check your region

Forza 4
--February American Le Mans Series Pack - 420msp (was 560)

Guitar Hero World Tour
--Country Track Pack - 220msp (was 440)

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

Port Royale 3 - 2400msp/30$ (was 4000/50$) US price, check your region

Skyrim - 2400msp/30$ (was 3200/40$) US price, check your region

Sleeping Dogs - 2000msp/25$ (was 3600/45$0 US price, check your region

The Bigs 2 - 1600msp/20$ (was 2400/30$) US price, check your region

WWE All Stars - 1600msp/20$ (was 3200/40$) US price, check your region

-----

aku:jiki

There are some serious framerate issues but I don't remember really complaining. It's not the kind of game where it matters too much; you just need to point your minigun at the massive horde in front of you either way. It's not a game that requires a lot of finesse.

Then again, I didn't end up liking it very much regardless of technical issues. It's kind of a dull game in the long run. Turn a corner, 800 monsters spawn, fire while backing up and switching weapons accordingly, go back to pick up armor you walked past earlier, repeat for 10 hours. I remember making positive posts after my first few hours but looking back, it's not something I'd want to play again. It was my first SS though so if that's what the whole series is about and that's what its fans like, I guess it's an all right purchase for 400MSP.

XBLA thread, bro.

Vert boil

There are some serious framerate issues but I don't remember really complaining. It's not the kind of game where it matters too much; you just need to point your minigun at the massive horde in front of you either way. It's not a game that requires a lot of finesse.

Then again, I didn't end up liking it very much regardless of technical issues. It's kind of a dull game in the long run. Turn a corner, 800 monsters spawn, fire while backing up and switching weapons accordingly, go back to pick up armor you walked past earlier, repeat for 10 hours. I remember making positive posts after my first few hours but looking back, it's not something I'd want to play again. It was my first SS though so if that's what the whole series is about and that's what its fans like, I guess it's an all right purchase for 400MSP.

XBLA thread, bro.

Did you play it on hard? And yeah, sounds like you have problems with SS as a concept.

That said, SS3 is worse than 1 or 2. Boooooring first half of the game.

I picked up Sam 3 mostly because it's $35 cheaper than the PC version right now.

Plus it has local co-op, which is always great.

I'll skip the DLC since the multiplayer is probably non-existent.

Joyride Turbo is good fun, only played it for 20 minutes but I already quite like it. Never played the kinect version.

Also just 100% blood dragon, I will be replaying that game at some point this month i'm sure, I kind of wish hard mode was actually hard.

UraMallas

I was thinking of getting Kindoms of Amalur with the 800 back from the April deal. Is KoA worth the $10 if I enjoy Action RPGs with loot mechanics?

I was thinking of getting Kindoms of Amalur with the 800 back from the April deal. Is KoA worth the $10 if I enjoy Action RPGs with loot mechanics?

I'd say so. It's well made and there's a ton of content. It simply got all the bad news because it didn't sell enough to cause the company to go bankrupt and screw a bunch of people over. The game itself is rather good and worth playing.

Top Bottom