• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade) News, Announcements, Reviews, and Impressions Thread

Vert boil

Released today,

boxartlg.jpg

Charlie Murder - 800msp, 369MB.

Demo is up.

Gonna give Charlie Murder a miss because I've heard that while it can be fun, the enemies later on are total bullet sponges, which sounds about as little fun as I can imagine in a game of this type.

Plus, it saves me some HDD space! Games on Gold and a few GoD sales have destroyed my free space, my 250GB drive is down to its final 5GB and that's having deleted loads of XBLA and XBLIG stuff to make room. I have a rule, though. I am not allowed to delete any XBLA game unless I have achieved all of the achievements for it, so if I am to make some room, I have to clear my backlog.

(The exception to this is Dungeon Defenders, which is the shittiest game I've ever played and I happily reclaimed my 2GB having earned no achievements at all in however many hours of my life I wasted waiting for it to get fun. It never did.)

So, yeah, I've been backlog clearing. Pretty much looking for the games with the biggest file-sizes or quickest achievement hunts.

Crash Course 2 you all know, I guess. I know it has some critics but I really like this game, and the freemium nature is almost non-existent, there was no point at which I couldn't afford something else to do. It's quite a satisfying 400/400, having got achievements for skill (no dying!) and for exploration, too, nice and varied.

Trine 2 just has really easy achievements. I don't think much to the game though, tbh. It's so clearly designed for co-op and the puzzles seem to have been just left as they were when you're playing single-player. This means that half the puzzles in the game I solved by fudging the physics in some way because the proper elegantly designed solutions were unavailable. Really hard to feel satisfied this way.

Harm's Way took literally 2 minutes. I should have got the last few I needed years ago.

World Gone Sour is bizarre. It's not brilliant, the platforming and collision detection are amateur at best, but it's still somehow fun, ish. It's incredibly dark, though, humour-wise, which is kind of weird for a candy tie-in but I guess I don't know how these things are marketed in the US! When you beat the game you unlock a rap video about penis pumps. Not a joke.

That's four cleared in two days! Running out of easy ones now, though :lol

Feindflug

The trial of Charlie Murder is still not up in the UK marketplace. :(

BTW Foul Play looks really cool, definitely interested in this one.

What's up with that and Deathsmiles IIX being US only anyway? Shmups have always done better in EU than US and every other publisher seems to know it.

The GoD version of DSII was a experiment from Cave, which published themselves on the US marketplace. Usually they licence their games to local publishers, but I guess demand for DSII was that right (poor reviews) to make a retail release. I guess publishing agreements hold the digital release of it in other markets.

Montresor

Twisted Pixel is slowly becoming one of my favorite MS devs as I play through their bundle. I just started Splosion Man, and as I usually do I play around with settings before I jump into a game. I laughed when I saw SPLODE show up in the controls menu for buttons A, B, X, and Y, along with an option to map the controls from Splode to Splode. And then the game gives me an achievement for doing this. Lol... love these guys.

edit: I'm genuinely impressed with this game. Splosion Man has fantastic game play.

Feindflug

Twisted Pixel is slowly becoming one of my favorite MS devs as I play through their bundle. I just started Splosion Man, and as I usually do I play around with settings before I jump into a game. I laughed when I saw SPLODE show up in the controls menu for buttons A, B, X, and Y, along with an option to map the controls from Splode to Splode. And then the game gives me an achievement for doing this. Lol... love these guys.

edit: I'm genuinely impressed with this game. Splosion Man has fantastic game play.

Don't forget to play the co-op levels! It's definitely one of the best platformers of this gen and easily their best game IMO. If you want more of this you should also get Ms 'Splosion Man, it's not as good but it's still a decent game.

BTW after playing the Charlie Murder trial I can say that this looks like Ska's best work so far, game will probably be a blast at co-op, curious to see if the 800 points price will help the game sales wise.

Got some points burning a hole in my virtual wallet, 2200 to be precise, what should I pick up?

Played the State of Decay demo and it ran like a dog for some reason. Has this been patched?

Been looking at either Blood Dragon or Gunslinger, kind of put off Blood Dragon due to me going through Far Cry 3 at the moment.

Feindflug

Got some points burning a hole in my virtual wallet, 2200 to be precise, what should I pick up?

Played the State of Decay demo and it ran like a dog for some reason. Has this been patched?

Been looking at either Blood Dragon or Gunslinger, kind of put off Blood Dragon due to me going through Far Cry 3 at the moment.

Haven't played Blood Dragon yet (I'm waiting for a sale :p) but Gunslinger is a really great game and definitely worth it for 1200 points...game looks and runs really smooth, story, characters and the Bastion-like storytelling is well made, gunplay/gameplay is excellent and the replay value is amazing for a downloadable title with NG+ for higher difficulties, Arcade missions and a Duel mode.

I've spent more than 20hrs on this one and had a blast, I'll just say play the demo and if you like it then you'll most definitely love the whole game.

Lima

Another vote for Gunslinger. Loved that game to death but then again I'm a big fan of the first two Call of Juarez games.

Vert boil

boxartlg.jpg

banner.png

screenlg2.jpg

screenlg3.jpg

screenlg4.jpg

screenlg5.jpg

screenlg7.jpg

screenlg8.jpg

http://download.xbox.com/content/images/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411414/1033/screenlg1.jpg
http://download.xbox.com/content/images/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411414/1033/screenlg6.jpg
http://download.xbox.com/content/images/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411414/1033/screenlg9.jpg
http://download.xbox.com/content/images/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411414/1033/screenlg10.jpg
http://download.xbox.com/content/images/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258411414/1033/background.jpg

The Bridge is a 2D logic puzzle game that forces the player to reevaluate their preconceptions of physics and perspective. It is Isaac Newton meets M. C. Escher. Manipulate gravity to redefine the ceiling as the floor while venturing through impossible architectures. Explore increasingly difficult worlds, each uniquely detailed and designed to leave the player with a pronounced sense of intellectual accomplishment. The Bridge exemplifies games as an art form, with beautifully hand-drawn art in the style of a black-and-white lithograph.

-----

Capy have started putting out trading cards for the Super TIME Force characters. One a week.

tc1ar5uff.jpg
tc1b3iutx.jpg

STF_AnimCard_Rambois.gif

Feindflug

The Bridge looks really interesting. Will definitely check that out.

Yeah it looks great, hopefully the puzzles are as interesting as the art direction of the game.

Super TIME Force shoulda been an SoA game. :(

Yes it should be but I guess we should be thankful that we'll be able to play this on our 360 sometime soon without the next gen plans of MS getting in the way like Crimson Dragon which is now a XB1 exclusive and Max: The Curse of Brotherhood which probably got delayed due to a simultaneous 360/XB1 release.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Although this is an XBLA thread and not a Windows/PC thread, since GAF's achievement community lives here, I thought this might be worth cross-linking:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652647

GFWL Marketplace ends August 22nd. GFWL games can still be bought on Steam and come with achievements, but some of the games (like CarneyVale Showtime's Windows version) only exist on GFWLM. So you only have a week to buy those if you want the achievements ever.

TA inexplicably is not covering this yet.

Labadal

Anyone played Charlie Murder? The demo seemed fun but the gameplay felt very basic. Do you get more moves and stuff? All I had to do in the demo was to press X to attack and A to jump. Used the scream attack a couple of times.

Although this is an XBLA thread and not a Windows/PC thread, since GAF's achievement community lives here, I thought this might be worth cross-linking:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=652647

GFWL Marketplace ends August 22nd. GFWL games can still be bought on Steam and come with achievements, but some of the games (like CarneyVale Showtime's Windows version) only exist on GFWLM. So you only have a week to buy those if you want the achievements ever.

TA inexplicably is not covering this yet.

What happens if I already own the game and want to reinstall it later? The Marketplace launcher will not work? Can I re-install the games from xbox.com?

There is also the exclusive Dark Void GFWL version there, plus a couple of indie games (Where is Waldo, Wolrd of Goo, among others).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What happens if I already own the game and want to reinstall it later? The Marketplace launcher will not work? Can I re-install the games from xbox.com?

Redownloading is apparently possible.

There is also the exclusive Dark Void GFWL version there, plus a couple of indie games (Where is Waldo, Wolrd of Goo, among others).

I have a full list in the above thread of every GFWL game and what the deal is going forward (which can't be bought, which can be bought on Steam but when GFWL shuts down will be toast, which have GFWL-free versions)

Vert boil

Released today,

banner.png

Mark of the Ninja
--Special Edition - 400msp

-----

Game with gold bits, (these expire in a fortnight)

Dead Rising 2: Case Zero - free (was 400)

Dead Rising 2 - free (was 2400/30$)

Biohazard: Code Veronica - free (was 1200¥) Japanese gold account needed

Lost Planet 2 - free (was 20€) German gold account needed

Additional reductions, (these expire in a fortnight)
(these are currently listed as gold only. The previous extra offers have all (eventually) been available to everyone. We'll have to wait and see.)

Dead Rising: Case West - 400msp (was 800)

Dead Rising 2
--Skills Pack: Ninja - 80msp (was 160)
--Skills Pack: Psycho - 80msp (was 160) (If the psycho's give you trouble, consider buying this one. Rips straight through them.)
--Skills Pack: Soldier - 80msp (was 160)
--Skills Pack: Sports Fan - 80msp (was 160)

Feindflug

Would have preferred free CV to DR2. Ah well...

Also, MoTN DLC is finally here. Looks like it has a few new achievements too.

Yeah CV would've been really cool, wondering if I could download it if I made a new Japanese account and get the one month of free Gold...I guess it will probably be region locked. :/

About the new Mark of the Ninja DLC on one hand it has new achievements but on the other hand I have a feeling that it will be on the short side and the price isn't helping either. And of course right now on my account I have 360 points...oh well. :p

Many thanks to everyone who recommended Gunslinger, what a great little game. Fantastic story telling

Have fun, the game is indeed great! :)

Montresor

Wow thank Christ those gold for free games are German/Japan only. I don't want either game but I'd be compelled to download them and add them to my backlog.

I'll happily take Case Zero and DR2 though!

Montresor

Anyone else "bargain" with themselves as they go through their backlog? I love getting completions but I've already decided I'll go for 175/200 in Splosion Man and something like ~890/1000 in Halo 1 (not an xbla game I know).

I can't sing enough praise onto Splosion Man. The level design and game play is so crisp and satisfying and challenging. It feels great pulling off difficult splode jumps. And I really enjoy sploding off of green barrels and flying at super speed, especially in those rare sequences where the camera zooms in after a green barrel jump.

Splosion Man himself is hilariously hyper. I love his animations whenever you let go of the stick or splode buttons.

The only negative, as Stump mentioned a couple of pages ago, is the colour variety. The puzzles and platforms and level design in general is superb and varies excellently from level to level. But the colours and backgrounds are so repetitive.

C4Lukins

Many thanks to everyone who recommended Gunslinger, what a great little game. Fantastic story telling

I am thinking of getting it. Do you get some decent exercise while playing it? I am on a Kinect kick and trying to find games that are both fun and require a bit of energy to play.

chemicals

Ms Splosion Man is even better, if you can handle all of that PINK.

C4Lukins

Ms Splosion Man is even better, if you can handle all of that PINK.

I have to disagree. It certainly has more variety, but I found the backgrounds in certain levels to be extremely distracting. Especially in the air car segments. It is a little busy for its own good, but still very solid.

Daigoro

you guys are making me want to play Splosion Man and Gunslinger again. don't think I ever even finished splosion man actually, oddly.

I need more free time.

I am thinking of getting it. Do you get some decent exercise while playing it? I am on a Kinect kick and trying to find games that are both fun and require a bit of energy to play.
I don't think it's a Kinect game, is it?

C4Lukins

You're thinking of Gunstringer.

Ha! Complete brain fart there. All the Twisted Pixel talk in the last several posts broke my brain... Well I still would like an answer from anyone who has played Gunstringer. Is it an active physical experience, or is it just painting targets with your arm?

Ha! Complete brain fart there. All the Twisted Pixel talk in the last several posts broke my brain... Well I still would like an answer from anyone who has played Gunstringer. Is it an active physical experience, or is it just painting targets with your arm?

I've heard good things but I haven't played it myself as I don't have Kinect.

Here's a pretty in depth gameplay demo,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJBuZdRZHs

Hope that answers any questions you have...(apologies for it being German)

JDdelphin

Plus, it saves me some HDD space! Games on Gold and a few GoD sales have destroyed my free space, my 250GB drive is down to its final 5GB and that's having deleted loads of XBLA and XBLIG stuff to make room. I have a rule, though. I am not allowed to delete any XBLA game unless I have achieved all of the achievements for it, so if I am to make some room, I have to clear my backlog.

I'm getting to this point myself- I was wondering what the best/most cost effective way to expand your xbox drive space?
320GB HD, and a buncha usb3.0 flash drives with a high speed splitter? :p

JDdelphin

-also, is the Bioshock Infinite drop to $40 permanent?

If it's just a temporary drop I might just grab it before it goes back up to $60

I have to disagree. It certainly has more variety, but I found the backgrounds in certain levels to be extremely distracting. Especially in the air car segments. It is a little busy for its own good, but still very solid.

Yeah I prefer the original as well, my favorite XBLA game. Got all cheevos for Splosion Man but can't do it for the misses since the multiplayer is pretty much dead.

I started playing Comic Jumper this week...I've put it off forever and now I know why. I enjoy the Twisted Pixel meta humor but the gameplay is just not fun. Laboring to finish it and I'm only on the second (guest) comic.

Top Bottom