• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Phil Spencer feels it's counter productive to lock people away from games by making them device exclusive, prefers to scale games across ecosystem

Evilms

Banned
Next-gen exclusives – are they necessary to push the industry and artform forward or do they just unnecessarily divide players? Sony takes the former position and will launch the PlayStation 5 with the usual array of exclusives, while Microsoft supports the latter and has promised all first-party Xbox Series X games will also come out on the Xbox One for at least a year.

So, is Microsoft limiting their developers by forcing them to support the Xbox One? In a new interview with GamesIndustry.biz, Phil Spencer rejects the idea that the Xbox Series X will be in any way held back.

Frankly, “held back” is a meme that gets created by people who are too caught up in device competition. […] The diversity of hardware choice in PC has not held back the highest fidelity PC games on the market. The highest fidelity PC games rival anything that anybody has ever seen in video games. So this idea that developers don't know how to build games, or game engines, or ecosystems, that work across a set of hardware... there's a proof point in PC that shows that's not the case.
Later in the interview, Spencer goes a step further, saying Sony’s next-gen-exclusive-focused approach is “completely counter to what gaming is about”…

As a player you are the centre of our strategy. Our device is not the centre of our strategy, our game is not the centre of the strategy. We want to enable you to play the games you want to play, with the friends you want to play with, on any device. […] Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about.
Okay, I generally like Spencer, but let’s be real – forcing studios to support seven-year-old hardware is going to limit what they make. There’s no way around that, particularly since we’re at a place where new technology, like solid-state drives, are going to fundamentally change the way games are developed. Epic’s amazing, photorealistic Unreal Engine 5 demo only used as much GPU processing grunt as Fortnite. It was cutting-edge technology, only available in new consoles, that made that possible.

Spencer tries to frame crossgen as a pro-gamer thing, but realistically, Xbox Game Studios is largely made up of recently-purchased devs who were already working on stuff for current-gen hardware. Also, Microsoft has made no bones about the fact that they want a platform-agnostic future where Xbox Live and Xbox Game Pass is available on all hardware. So, this isn’t that altruistic.

Anywho, what do you think? Are next-gen exclusives important to you or do you prefer Microsoft’s more inclusive approach?

LeafyUglyIbadanmalimbe-size_restricted.gif

hyperbertha

Middle earth shadow of mordor had a gimped nemesis system on ps3/x360 for a reason. You can't have ambitious game with this support all systems policy of theirs. They know they are cornered (due to releasing the Scorpio) and now has to make borderline absurd claims to justify their position.

Last edited by a moderator:

GymWolf

Will garbage dispencer please shut his trap? Him and that Aaron Greenberg lapdog of his. Middle earth shadow of mordor had a gimped nemesis system on ps3/x360 for a reason. You can't have ambitious game with this support all systems policy of theirs. They know they are cornered (due to releasing the Scorpio) and now has to make borderline absurd claims to justify their position.
I better say nothing, before i am attacked by shill force one.
ok i laughed at these :ROFLMAO:

MrS

Banned
The market will decide who is correct.

Personally, I think he's full of shit. The point of making a next gen console is to leave old tech behind, not to be tethered to it and its limitations forevermore. Looking forward to what PlayStation studios cooks up next gen.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

If Series S/X games have to run on One S and One X, yeah, it's going to affect the games, absolutely. Mainly because of the CPU and HDD difference. Either that or it's going to be so stripped down it's going to be a different game. Like back in the NES games when you finally got Double Dragon at home, but it only had single player and looked and sounded nothing like the arcade. Pointing to the PC as proof of his concept is absurd as they have had decent cpus for ages.

His logic also doesn't make sense. If the newer boxes aren't required to run new kinds of software, why make them? If it's merely a visual upgrade why produce yet ANOTHER generation? The whole point of generations is to make new things possible. So by definition, cross generational titles can't take full advantage of the new platform. Why not make Halo Infinite available on 360 then? Oh wait, you mean there ARE points where software can't happen on certain hardware? :rolleyes:

I know people like this guy, but he's either not very smart or a complete corporate tool. He just can't have it every which way. So Halo Infinite is going to be "designed" for the Series X but will run on the One S? And that's not going to affect any kind of game design choice at all? Not a single one? Ok dude.

JCK75

I don't think it's a limitation considering they have basically turned their platform into a lite version of PC gaming.. devs are going to have multiple sets of assets to support the PC already which will cover, Low Quality 1080P up to Ultra Quality 4K.. this just translates to the consoles now and personally I think it's the perfect move and I'd certainly feel better buying a game late gen knowing I can play it on my next gen purchase rather than having to buy it again under a "Remastered" Label.

jakinov

Will garbage dispencer please shut his trap? Him and that Aaron Greenberg lapdog of his. Middle earth shadow of mordor had a gimped nemesis system on ps3/x360 for a reason. You can't have ambitious game with this support all systems policy of theirs. They know they are cornered (due to releasing the Scorpio) and now has to make borderline absurd claims to justify their position.
I mean, doesn't that game actually show that the old consoles didn't hold back the game on new consoles? Which is sort of the topic at hand. They let the PS3/360 versions look like shit and stripped down features available in the next-gen version.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
All hes saying is that their exclusives will spread across the Xbox platform/ecosystem. Not that there wont be any exclusives for next gen. If you guys didnt try so hard to be willfully daft, your efforts would come around a bit better. They have the tools to scale games across devices so everyone has a chance to play, where they want to play with applicable assets etc. If you can do it and still make Series X and PC versions look and feel next gen, why not???

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This won't go over well obviously but it makes sense from a strategic standpoint as the ability to get more customers in has been expanded exponentially.

But it might be a bit too soon in my opinion to be basing you're entire strategy on services. But GP speaks for itself and consumers are enjoying it.

CrysisFreak

Banned
>play on any device
But I don't want to fucking play on "any" device.
Might as well play San Andreas on my phone if I wanted.
I want to play goddamn next-gen games with a next-gen controller on a next-gen console using HDMI 2.1 and don't you fucking dare show me one more loading screen in my whole fucking life.

A short transition period of a year or so is fine, it’s not like launch window exclusives ever max out the new hardware anyway. Plus it’s just the same as what most 3rd parties will do. What matters most is if the games are good. Someone else not being able to play the game is not what makes it good.

And it’s probably going to be best to wait just a couple of weeks to see what the games look and play like on the Series X.

hyperbertha

I mean, doesn't that game actually show that the old consoles didn't hold back the game on new consoles? Which is sort of the topic at hand. They let the PS3/360 versions look like shit and stripped down features available in the next-gen version.
Depends on the scope and how integral your ideas are on the game's basic framework. The nemesis system managed to have two versions because the game still worked without it, albeit an inferior version. But something that defines your whole game? That you built from the ground up? You can't have two versions of that without making two entirely different games.

Also , their whole strategy is about 'not leaving xbone gamers behind', which means they are going to have to maintain parity. So the Shadow of mordor approach won't work either.

Psykodad

Banned
Depends on the scope and how integral your ideas are on the game's basic framework. The nemesis system managed to have two versions because the game still worked without it, albeit an inferior version. But something that defines your whole game? That you built from the ground up? You can't have two versions of that without making two entirely different games.

Also , their whole strategy is about 'not leaving xbone gamers behind', which means they are going to have to maintain parity. So the Shadow of mordor approach won't work either.
They have to support current-gen, because they lost 40% of their installbase, with high chances of losing more going into next-gen.

All the pro-consumer messaging is necessary PR.

supernova8

Banned
Could this be the first time one of the platform holders has a (potentially) more powerful system and is choosing not to take full advantage of that power from day one with first party titles?

Seems like a really bad move that could backfire. They keep banging on about how it's the most powerful console but then put out last-gen hamstrung content? I see this going down like a lead balloon.

Top Bottom