• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 1st party games to launch same day on Game Pass (SoT, CD3, SoD2, subsequent Halo/Forza, etc)

VAL0R

Banned
If 10 million of the 48+ million active XBL Gold subscribers sign up for Game Pass, that's an annual addition of one billion two hundred million dollars into Phil's Lambo/T-shirt fund.

VAL0R

Banned
latest

JP

I don't really play on the X much so I'd not bothered signing up to this but I've been looking at the official page due to this, is there no way to pay for this by the year? I'm only seeing a monthly subscription being available?

As I said, I don't really buy as many games on the Xbox as most do but if there's a couple in a year then it sort of covers it. The only complication with that is usually when I buy Xbox games I buy the "Ultimate Edition" as it's usually the Forza games but obviously this isn't going to cover that. Does anybody know if there would be a way for me to upgrade to the Ultimate version of a game if I'm playing the free version?

hiphopcr

Just thinking about how much larger the user base for these games will be upon launch.

Sea of Thieves ceiling was probably a few million. Now out of the gate it could be 10 million. 20 million by end of gen?

Da Fro

So basically everyone with an Xbox will be getting game pass. I don't see a reason not to. I think I might cancel my Sea of Thieves preorder.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Xbox could launch Xbox 5 with quite the bang.

Assuming they keep this in place, combined with their backwards compatibility plans, you could buy an Xbox 5 day one and have hundreds of old games as well as any launch day new 1st party titles all waiting for you without having to buy any games

EBE

As I said, I don't really buy as many games on the Xbox as most do but if there's a couple in a year then it sort of covers it. The only complication with that is usually when I buy Xbox games I buy the "Ultimate Edition" as it's usually the Forza games but obviously this isn't going to cover that. Does anybody know if there would be a way for me to upgrade to the Ultimate version of a game if I'm playing the free version?
theres no way to do that currently so i would say no, there likely would not be
theyre different digital licenses i assume. anyway, how would the price difference be handled? you wouldnt be, strictly speaking, upgrading from the base version up at that point

Last edited:

Alx

That's really perfect for games like Sea of Thieves. I liked what I saw during the alpha, but I wasn't too sure it was worth paying 70€ day1. But within a selection of games for 10€ a month ? It's a no brainer.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If they can 10 million gamepass subs

Thats $100 million a month, that aint chump change.

Yeah, but how many of those 10 million people would have bought each game for $40-$60 though? I guess this does make the money more consistent though.

sssssszzzzz

Neo Member
This is probably much bigger news than some people are considering. I agree this might be the start of a Netflix-like model for Microsoft. If they really do invest more in first party content, this is a great move. Not sure they should bring Game Pass to PC though, because then it would make less and less sense to still buy an Xbox if you got a decent machine.

With this and backward compatibility, I really do consider getting an Xbox One X once again. I have so many games from the 360 era that could be reactivated through it, plus the indie and digital library. I also got two close friends I could play online multiplayer with (PUBG, Overwatch, For Honor...).

While I am very happy with Sony's PS4 games line-up, Microsoft surely is experimenting a lot and I like this concept much more than Playstation Now. Wondering if 'Games with Gold' will still have some good stuff or not... It's been getting worse on both consoles.

Last thought: How will this impact games sale numbers? Imagine 5 million Game Pass owners and possibly much lower sales on First Party games. It will be difficult to judge which game has been successful and which hasn't.

Last edited:

JP

theres no way to do that currently so i would say no, there likely would not be
theyre different digital licenses i assume. anyway, how would the price difference be handled? you wouldnt be, strictly speaking, upgrading from the base version up at that point
Thanks, although this sounds like a really good deal for some people, it's probably not going to be right for me to subscribe properly.

I'll still be able to by the complete version of Forza Horizon this year to keep me happy but if there's something like a new Halo, Gears of War, Crackdown, etc being released then the best thing for me is to probably just rent the big games using this service for a month. Looking at it that way, £7.99 is a pretty good price for a month download rental for all their major releases that aren't Forza Horizon.

Most of those titles I've been buying while heavily discounted in sales quite a bit later so this actually seems to work out pretty well for me if I'm only subscribing a couple of times a year or so.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Yeah, but how many of those 10 million people would have bought each game for $40-$60 though? I guess this does make the money more consistent though.
Lets break it down

Lets say sea of thieves sold 4 million that like $ 40 to MS per sale

That's $160 million, even if it sold that much lets times that figure by 5 for the other games (im rounding up sales very generously)

Thats a total of $800 million (if all ms Exclusives do very well)

And the Exclusives will still sell some lets say game pass reduces Exclusive game sales by 75% thats $200 millsion plus the $1.2 billion from game pass.

If MS realese multiple 10 million+ selling titles they will need to increase the sub base for game pass which should not be to hard if they have 10million install base calibur Exclusives and best in the industry features.

Last edited:

Fbh

That's actually a pretty good deal.

I think though that it definitely enforces the view that moving forward all MS exclusives will follow a "games as a service" model. I don't see this system making sense for single player focused games

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think though that it definitely enforces the view that moving forward all MS exclusives will follow a "games as a service" model. I don't see this system making sense for single player focused games

Hmmmm......didn't think of that. Good point.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

They already do?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member

If Game Pass is a success, I could easily see MS funding expensive single player games that are only available via Game Pass. They could take risks like Netflix and Amazon do. I honestly think they wouldn't have cancelled Scalebound if this were firmly in place. At the same time, I'm not entirely convinced that Scalebound wasn't a Waterworld type disaster during it's production and they mercifully put it out of it's misery.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
If Game Pass is a success, I could easily see MS funding expensive single player games that are only available via Game Pass. They could take risks like Netflix and Amazon do. I honestly think they wouldn't have cancelled Scalebound if this were firmly in place. At the same time, I'm not entirely convinced that Scalebound wasn't a Waterworld type disaster during it's production and they mercifully put it out of it's misery.

By all mean, burn more retail and 3rd party bridges.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
By all mean, burn more retail and 3rd party bridges.
If they can become Steam for consoles, I doubt they'll be upset. I honestly think that the majority provider for retail and 3rd party sellers here in the next 5 years is going to be Nintendo.

Edit: Hell, they're going beyond Steam. I wouldn't be surprised if Steam or GoG comes out with a subscription model here soon.

Last edited:
EA Access and MS Game Pass are the best thing's to come from this generation and makes me very happy with my purchase of the Xbox One X, your move Sony, at the very least I expect EA Access to launch for PlayStation this year.

VAL0R

Banned
Also, consider all the millions in revenue MS loses to game rentals via Redbox, etc. Game Pass is essentially a rental model with an expanding (rotating?) inventory. I just signed up and there are tons of games I'm already interested in. Redbox is $3.00/day. I think MS is about to drink their milkshake.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Change is hard but brick and motor is going away for digital media. Sam Goody, Tower Records, and Blockbuster say hello.

I'm not surprised it happened but I'm more surprised how quickly. Like it's literally 4-5 games a year from first party at M$. And that's aiming high.

Seems like a huge thing to pull Xbox completely when they will still offer disc versions.

This doesn't seem to benefit the business at all.

solis74

I'm not surprised it happened but I'm more surprised how quickly. Like it's literally 4-5 games a year from first party at M$. And that's aiming high.

Seems like a huge thing to pull Xbox completely when they will still offer disc versions.

This doesn't seem to benefit the business at all.

Whats the name of this Australian company?

Iced Arcade

as a primary xbox console gamer, these are the reasons why I want MS to never be in 1st place. hungry MS is a better MS

Green Saber

First post here so be kind. I think this represents great value for money, I already have game pass for my Xbox One X so to know that I will be able to play State Of Decay 2 on day 1 of release makes the pass worth it.

Codes 208

It certainly has its benefits as a $10 per month sub. When I got my X it came with a month free and it did have a handful of games ive been meaning to play like dead island. But 1st party titles aside most of the games seemed more inline with what Id expect for GwG. Over time Im certain it will prove itself, and paying $10 to play sea of thieves for a month is MUCH cheaper than renting it from redbox for more than three nights

Seams like a good deal 7.99 to play them on release might not be much point in getting the game from retail. It's now like Netflix for first party games just have to keep the momentum of release to keep being worth while.

Top Bottom