• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 2 In Christmas 2005

GigaDrive

Banned
mind you, the Gamecube and Xbox launched at the same time, Gamecube can hold its own against the more powerful but less efficent Xbox. yet Gamecube is a much older piece of kit. developed from 1998 to 2000, being completed at roughly the same time that real Xbox chip development (Nvidia) was getting underway in 2000.

this time, Revolution and Xbox 2 are being developed almost in parallel. probably graphic processor development started for both (at ATI) within less than a year of each other (early 2002) but Xbox 2's cut off date for development will happen sooner than Revolution's
....so we will see :>

element

jarrod said:
Well, it's not like this will be Sony's first set of tools either, they've been in this business for more than 10 years actually. Besides PS3 is still 2-3 years from release... when exactly did Microsoft start on XNA?
XNA tools have actually been around for two years. It is just recently that they have started a team to help support and develop these tools and others for the future.
SCE has been making games for 10 years, but they haven't been the best tool providers. Most devs will agree that support is limited and documentation is average. SCE isn't a software developer, at least not like MS is.

I mean, call me a fanboy or whatever. But development enviroment is a huge part of MS business. Visual Studio, .NET, DirectX, and others. It is a huge advantage to MS and their partners.

yonoid said:
hitler stop troling man

seems you cant win me in arguments no?

thorazine_bottle2.jpg

Chrono

Banned
jarrod said:
Top 5 sellers this year imo in order...

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) Rockstar
2. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green (GBA) Nintendo
3. Halo 2 (XBox) Microsoft
4. Madden NFL 2005 (PS2) Electronic Arts
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) Konami

Resident Evil 4 just has to be on that list. And it will.

element

jarrod said:
Top 5 sellers this year imo in order...

1. Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) Rockstar
2. Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green (GBA) Nintendo
3. Halo 2 (XBox) Microsoft
4. Madden NFL 2005 (PS2) Electronic Arts
5. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2) Konami
More like
1. Halo 2
2. Pokemon Red/Fire
3. GTA:SA
4. Madden 2005 (PS2)
5. GT4

jarrod

Banned
Chrono said:
Resident Evil 4 just has to be on that list. And it will.
I think RE4 will probably make the top 10 but it'll be the only GC game to do so (unless Pokemon Colosseum sees a huge upsurge with Fire Red & Leaf Green). It'll surprise people though that's for sure...

jarrod

Banned
element said:
More like
1. Halo 2
2. Pokemon Red/Fire
4. Madden 2005 (PS2)
5. GT4
Heh, I dunno... I could easily see Pokemon selling 3-4 million before Halo 2. And even a weakened GTA is bigger than anything else... GT4 could take MGS3's spot maybe though, that 5th place is really up for grabs but the top 4 is probably set in stone.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
element said:
More like
1. Halo 2
2. Pokemon Red/Fire
4. Madden 2005 (PS2)
5. GT4
I'd expect something more along the lines of:

1. GTA:SA
2. Pokemon Fire/Leaf
3. Madden 2005
4. Halo 2
5. GT4

GTA, Pokemon, and Madden regularly sell millions and millions of units, fast. Some people really overestimate Halo's selling power. It's only at 3 million after 2 and a half years. The other 3 games sell more and/or faster. Halo 2 may eventually pass Madden 2005, but by then Madden 2007 will be out.

I think Xbox 2 will launch christmas 2005, and I cant believe you people who say thats too early..

i want it now!!!

but can understand the reasoning and want for a 4-5-6 year console.. the main thing for me is sequels, it seems its easier and more likely for sequels of hot games to come out on the same system, then on subsequent systems.. and i like sequels, sue me.

in fact, i wish MS would make xbox 2 upgradeable later on.. 3 years down the line, release Xbox 2 Plus, and allow regular xbox 2's to be upgraded with $100 add on that you'd just slide right in.. that woudl fuccckiinng rock.

Chrono

Banned
LuckyBrand said:
in fact, i wish MS would make xbox 2 upgradeable later on.. 3 years down the line, release Xbox 2 Plus, and allow regular xbox 2's to be upgraded with $100 add on that you'd just slide right in.. that woudl fuccckiinng rock.

I STAB AT THEE!!!

Spike

yonoid said:
mgs3 ? are you joking halo 2 is the most waited sequel of all gaming time man

san andreas wil be in october and will not sell like the others gtas

and ppl will wait to get the better version in xbox

a xbox halo pack and halo2 for me will win or lost for very few

So, let me get this straight. You think that Halo 2 will outsell GTA:SA and MGS3 and GT4 combined? One game will outdo the 3 biggest franchises on PS2 combined?

Oh, and Halo 2 is not the most waited sequel of all gaming time. Half-Life 2 is.

gimme one killer ps2 game in 2005 guys

this generation will die in 2004

Final Fantasy XII

They'll need a tremendous launch lineup. Some very creative hardware design to minimize bottlnecks with their hardware. They'll also need a min of 10 GB HDD on board. I don't care what folks are saying, they need it. An optional upgrade would be nice for more. If they launch first they would get first dibs on a price drops when the competition launched.

GTA launch with next gen graphics would be interesting.

^^^^ I am a gamer, and I will keep my xbox when I get my xbox 2, and probably never ever touch it...

only sega saturn is the system I have regularly gone back to for playing old games... basically everything else, once I upgraded, I was focused on that..

regardless, if its not BC, or they dont release a BC add on, I'll just keep my xbox and the games I wanted...

and what, you didnt like my upgrade/addon 3 years down the line idea?! i think that would rock.

einhard

op_ivy said:
works for me :)

as long as there is some good launch titles (pgr3, doa4, pd0, etc)

.... so you basically want to repurchase every game you own now but with better graphics? thats pretty fucking sad mate ....

i liked Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast but a 4th game in the series is not that exciting
imo DOA has always been about graphics so i guess you have a point there...
I have no faith in Rare at all anymore, PD0 will look great but have shallow boring gameplay.
I cant see Microsoft developing anything interesting either, maybe they'll buy another developer or something?

if Nintendo's system is as revolutionary as they say ill probably buy it, otherwise i cant see myself buying anything after this gen

Chrono

Banned
LuckyBrand said:
and what, you didnt like my upgrade/addon 3 years down the line idea?! i think that would rock.

I like it that consoles don't require upgrades. you just buy one and that's it. I can see a big mess happening if upgrades are introduced. Some new games will use upgrade x, others will use y, and some will play on the old one but maybe "better" with upgrades. It's a nightmare.. Plus, I'm too lazy for that. :p

EDIT:

Am I part of the idiots?

teepo

i don't care about any of this next generation bullshit and honestly i don;t care who wins. each and everyone of you should feel the same way. i just had to get that off my chest.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i dont wanna see x2 until xbox gets pushed 16 bit style. i wanna see the hardware do stuff it was never ever supposed to do. if x2 launches in 2005, unless its $199(which would equal a blowout head start)i'm gonna wait til ps3 hits then get both.

einhard said:
.... so you basically want to repurchase every game you own now but with better graphics? thats pretty fucking sad mate ....

i liked Metropolis Street Racer on Dreamcast but a 4th game in the series is not that exciting
imo DOA has always been about graphics so i guess you have a point there...
I have no faith in Rare at all anymore, PD0 will look great but have shallow boring gameplay.
I cant see Microsoft developing anything interesting either, maybe they'll buy another developer or something?

if Nintendo's system is as revolutionary as they say ill probably buy it, otherwise i cant see myself buying anything after this gen

new games in a series can add new featuers, you know? and change up the gameplay, no?

and yes, if revolution is as "revolutionary" as they say it is, who isnt going to buy it?! with all the amazing details about it, i am entirely hard in my pants about it...

at least disguise your nintendo hard on.

Bebpo

Banned
Spike said:
So, let me get this straight. You think that Halo 2 will outsell GTA:SA and MGS3 and GT4 combined? One game will outdo the 3 biggest franchises on PS2 combined?

Exactly.

Halo 2 may be the biggest seller this Xmas. But the sales of #2-4 combined will no doubt be greater than Halo 2 sales and thus move more PS2s than Xboxs. Unless Xbox drops to $99 with Halo 2 pack in, they ain't gonna be #1 this winter.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
We should have 6 - 7 year cycles now that the technology is getting harder to differentiate
This gen will be 6-7 yrs long for some of us...Dreamcast launched in 99 and the earliest we're seeing the next generation is 2005. Personally, I'm more than ready to see what's next :)

Bebpo said:
Exactly.

Halo 2 may be the biggest seller this Xmas. But the sales of #2-4 combined will no doubt be greater than Halo 2 sales and thus move more PS2s than Xboxs. Unless Xbox drops to $99 with Halo 2 pack in, they ain't gonna be #1 this winter.

we'll see.. i honestly think the ps2/xbox sales will be equal..

gt4 will be big, but halo 2 will be bigger
gta will be big, but halo 2 will be bigger.
mgs3 will be big, but halo 2 will be bigger..

depends on whats more important, the biggest game of the season, or 3 huge games in there own right..

i think the two will weigh out to about equal, as xboxen has alot of momentum...

should be a great system for all 3 systems however, good pricepoint, lots of great games, its going to be a busy videogame christmas IMO... probably the greatest christmas EVER for big games..

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
1. Halo 2
2. Pokemon Red/Fire
4. Madden 2005 (PS2)
5. GT4
Oxy, I think even the biggest numbskull has to see that GTA:SA + Madden + GT4 + MGS3 *will* sell more than Halo 2 alone, (and I think that was the initial argument echoed in two opposing posts)

Marconelly said:
Oxy, I think even the biggest numbskull has to see that GTA:SA + Madden + GT4 + MGS3 *will* sell more than Halo 2 alone, (and I think that was the initial argument echoed in two opposing posts)

Oxygen wasn't responding to reirom's nonsense.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
jarrod said:
Evidently yes, EA's planning 4-6 Xenon launch games it seems. I'd bet on Madden being one of them (probably along with a new SSX, NFSU, Tiger Woods, NBA Live and/or FIFA also).

They are on record about this? If it's really 4-6 games, then one of them would have to be Madden.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
This gen will be 6-7 yrs long for some of us...Dreamcast launched in 99 and the earliest we're seeing the next generation is 2005. Personally, I'm more than ready to see what's next :)
Actually, DC launched in '98. ;)

With everyone listing GT4 last, I wonder if people even know just how big the series really is. Other than the 2 GTA's, GT3 is the best selling console game this gen. Every game in the series has done over 10 million worldwide. But the sales will speak for themselves.

GTA > GT4 > HALO 2 and then some other games. Nothings beating GTA or GT4 though.

LuckyBrand said:

depends on whats more important, the biggest game of the season, or 3 huge games in there own right..

i think the two will weigh out to about equal, as xboxen has alot of momentum...

should be a great system for all 3 systems however, good pricepoint, lots of great games, its going to be a busy videogame christmas IMO... probably the greatest christmas EVER for big games..

You guys make it seem like no matter what console you have gamers will just jump ship from their respective consoles for Halo2.

So I ask this qeuestion again, Do you mean Xbox gamers or gamers in general?

Spike

LuckyBrand said:

To be fair, the only game that Halo 2 could possibly outsell is MGS3. The only reason being that alot of people were dissapointed with MGS2, and might have reservations about picking it up right off the bat. GTA and GT4 on the other hand, will easily outsell Halo 2.

Spike said:
To be fair, the only game that Halo 2 could possibly outsell is MGS3. The only reason being that alot of people were dissapointed with MGS2, and might have reservations about picking it up right off the bat. GTA and GT4 on the other hand, will easily outsell Halo 2.

Pretty much. I wonder if people even consider that HALO 1 hasn't even sold half of what GT3 or GTAVC (or GTA3) has sold worldwide. So HALO 2 is going to actually double what the original did to get to what GTASA and GT4 will definetly get to?

BeOnEdge

Banned
i honestly dont even think gt4 will make the top 5. you have burnout 3 and nfsu2, BOTH being published by EA. not to mention midnight club DUB(no reason)edition. there will be just too many racers, too many more enjoyable IMO racers for GT4 to grab racers attention this christmas.

BeOnEdge said:
i honestly dont even think gt4 will make the top 5. you have burnout 3 and nfsu2, BOTH being published by EA. not to mention midnight club DUB(no reason)edition. there will be just too many racers, too many more enjoyable IMO racers for GT4 to grab racers attention this christmas.

See the problem with that is that your opinion clearly doesn't reflect that of the majority. Or else PGR2 wouldn't be one of the biggest flops this generation has seen and GT wouldn't the far and away the most succesful racing series the industry has seen.

Spike

Hitler Stole My Potato said:

You think that a game on a console with a userbase of 15-20 Million, will outsell a combination of top-selling games on a console with a 70+ Million install base?

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
With everyone listing GT4 last, I wonder if people even know just how big the series really is. Other than the 2 GTA's, GT3 is the best selling console game this gen. Every game in the series has done over 10 million worldwide. But the sales will speak for themselves.
Nearly half of GT3's 11 million was done in the bargin bins. Not to mention GT3 enjoyed far less competition, huge casual hype since being one of PS2's headlining products and the benefit of being PS2's first real AAA title on a hungry rapidly growing userbase. GT4 loses all those advantages, and much like GT2, probably won't be able to reach it's predecessor's heights in a more mature marketplace.

SolidSnakex said:
GTA > GT4 > HALO 2 and then some other games. Nothings beating GTA or GT4 though.
Worldwide sure, but not in the US alone. Halo 2 will pass 2 million before Christmas here, GT4 won't. Seriously.

Also Pokemon will outsell everything but GTA, and worldwide it could even manage that.

Top Bottom