• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOX 20|20 "Effectively" Renamed

Seems like it's a wrap after one show, you can see the listing here, but also here's the specific quote at the top of that page for you lazy mofos:

[Editor’s Note on 8/7/2020 – Xbox has a massive year ahead of us, as outlined below. After reassessing our programming for the rest of the year, we’ve decided to stop using the “Xbox 20/20” phrasing as it implied that we would be releasing information in one way only, through a dedicated monthly show. We’ve got so much more to share with news about Xbox Series X, new games like Halo: Infinite, and cloud gaming via Xbox Game Pass. We’re going to share that news in a variety of ways. It may sometimes be a dedicated show, YouTube videos, partnering with others, or sharing the latest via Xbox Wire. We want to stay flexible with how we connect with you.]

So what do you folks think about this? They only had one show under the label, but they've seemingly had a change of plans. Maybe COVID would make having monthly scheduled events just way too difficult? Or maybe they want to do a focus on smaller number of events, but each one having more impact as a result? That's seemingly worked for Sony so far.

At least we're getting some events this month and obviously September because of TGS but damn, post-launch? Yeah, it could get a bit dry in terms of news from both camps up until any planned big releases are close to coming out.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I think anything they do to change what they have been doing is worth a shot.

NickFire

I'm not sure of the timing between editor's note and the leaks of retail controllers. If leak came first, I wouldn't be shocked if they are moving up news plans because of it.

Alx

Long live Xbox 20|21 ! :p
Honestly I wasn't even sure what they meant with 20|20, I thought it was just some random buzz word they used here and there because the year number sounds cool (maybe it doesn't sound that positive now after the few months we endured).

Airbus Jr

Banned
When the show is cancelled but u got nothing new to show

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
I think it's time for Aaron Greenberg to go tbh. His work has been less than impressive to say the least. The way the messaging and general communication is handled by microsoft is akin to a startup and not a well established multi-national company.

LOL at people who think X or Y should lose their job for completely arbitrary reasons. 😂

LOL at people who think X or Y should lose their job for completely arbitrary reasons. 😂
My comment has nothing to do with this particular announcement but, on the sum of his work from the start of the Xbox one leading up to the release of the series x. It's been very poor and at any other company, he would have been removed from the position he currently occupies.

Dr Bass

I bet they don't have enough info to do interesting shows every month, hence why they want to be "flexible." It's not because they have so much they feel limited. They have so little they need to do it on an ad hoc basis. Which explains why they have "so much more to share" about new games such as ... oh I don't know, to pick one at random ... Halo Infinite.

The :poop: show continues.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
My comment has nothing to do with this particular announcement but, on the sum of his work from the start of the Xbox one leading up to the release of the series x. It's been very poor and at any other company, he would have been removed from the position he currently occupies.

I'm sure you have the appropriate qualification to judge how "poor" an executive's work has been what "any other company" would have done 😂

Certain comments truly are "special." 😂

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

They don't have content to fill shows with. It seems pretty transparent at this point. The last show brought nothing new in terms of in-game graphics. None of their big titles, anyway. This sounds like they're recalibrating to keep expectations in check. I don't know how you don't come away from this without thinking that XSX games are behind in development. They should at least have as much content to show as Sony did 2 months ago, but that Halo demo was the best their studios had.

This explains clearly the emphasis on cross-gen. They don't want to miss the holiday season, so they're going to leverage what they have ready for X1 to cover the gap between this year, and when they'll have titles officially ready next year. I don't think I'm jumping to any farfetched conclusions. Actions speak louder than words, and if you have the ammunition, you use it at the right time. This is the time to start getting people hyped, pre-launch. If nothing else, you'd want to overshadow the somewhat embarrassing Halo reveal. I expect a trickle of better-prepared content going forward. Show what looks good, when it looks good. Big shows will be scheduled when they know they can actually impress.

I'm sure you have the appropriate qualification to judge how "poor" an executive job has been. 😂
This will be my last response because clearly you're a bit dense. One does not need to have the "appropriate qualifications" to recognize that something is amiss. When it comes to their PR, it's been a clear regression since the 360 days of "Jump In" to what can now be described as mixed messaging at best. In terms of product marketing, it has been utterly unprofessional and it comes across as disorganized. This starts from the product naming, to the communication regarding the product to etc. It's very reactive and doesn't seemed pre-planned. They released their first information to the public on the Series X in December 2019 with that fantastic trailer. Since then, it has been downhill. You're supposed to build momentum as you get closer to release and in terms of marketing, they're flat-lining. They have a fantastic product but, the software is not ready. Imo, it's lagging behind by 12 months. That's okay though and good marketing will bridge the hardware and software gap. Greenberg's marketing is fueling fanboys with ammo and doing the opposite of getting consumers "hyped". They need to look at how other companies in the space handle marketing because what they're doing right now is poor. Finally, Greenberg has proven time and time again that he's a boomer in the digital age of marketing.

Last edited:
I think they need new marketing in all honesty and behind that a plan that is clear, concise with content lined up that highly competent marketing can use to build momentum over a longer period to not only excite those content with Xbox but to entice those who are not or are considering spending their time and money elsewhere.

This current Xbox regime isn’t good enough in my opinion, say what you want about the power of the PlayStation brand, it’s there to be competed with for peoples time and money. Xbox as console, not just some subscription service, has massive potential not being realised in my honest opinion.

Microsoft confuse me at times and they can even be contradictory at times. For example, I think I remember them saying something like, “We are not competing with Sony, our direct competition is Google, Apple and Amazon”. Yet we must undercut Sony’s PS5 price no matter what and beat them. Which is it?

PresetError

Neophyte
IMO it's actually smart. Small showcases are being poorly received by fanboys and used by competition fanboys to troll companies, as we could see happened to Nintendo and Sony recently. Microsoft doesn't want any of it after the already poor reception to their bigger showcase.

It's probably better to publish individual single focused videos without much previous announcement.

TheContact

This is great actually. Instead of them funneling all the info into a monthly dedicated show, it will be spread out across multiple mediums, and sometimes even in a dedicated show format. Seems like a smart move.

Redlancet

Banned
They don't have content to fill shows with. It seems pretty transparent at this point.

thats the thing,i find funny people who come to forums or twitter and says,they have are holding a lot of things under the sleeve,bitch they a are using cgi for a lot of their big tittles because they are still behind schedule and doing these kind of games takes a lot of time,they didnt their homework last gen and it shows,and money cant change that magically

Klayzer

This will be my last response because clearly you're a bit dense. One does not need to have the "appropriate qualifications" to recognize that something is amiss. When it comes to their PR, it's been a clear regression since the 360 days of "Jump In" to what can now be described as mixed messaging at best. In terms of product marketing, it has been utterly unprofessional and it comes across as disorganized. This starts from the product naming, to the communication regarding the product to etc. It's very reactive and doesn't seemed pre-planned. They released their first information to the public on the Series X in December 2019 with that fantastic trailer. Since then, it has been downhill. You're supposed to build momentum as you get closer to release and in terms of marketing, they're flat-lining. They have a fantastic product but, the software is not ready. Imo, it's lagging behind by 12 months. That's okay though and good marketing will bridge the hardware and software gap. Greenberg's marketing is fueling fanboys with ammo and doing the opposite of getting consumers "hyped". They need to look at how other companies in the space handle marketing because what they're doing right now is poor. Finally, Greenberg has proven time and time again that he's a boomer in the digital age of marketing.
Don't bother. They actually think he's doing a great job because he trolls just like they do.

Alx

Somehow Series S got confirmed by a controller packaged for retail. Confusing is an understatement.

There's nothing really confusing about that, leaks happen and considering that both constructors are keeping their cards close to their chest until the last moment (especially regarding the price), it's only logical that we get to know about it from indirect sources.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Lol MS is a mess. I wish we had E3. I wish covid didn't happen. Less excuses and can judge them properly.

Yeah I kinda feel like these slow drip feed console reveals make E3 actually look kinda essential to the big players of the industry.

Besides, most of the arguments against E3 were always to protect smaller developers and publishers. Conversely, E3 is one big giant platform for the largest companies and worked to their benefit in terms of product reveals and messaging.

Reactions: Isa

NickFire

There's nothing really confusing about that, leaks happen and considering that both constructors are keeping their cards close to their chest until the last moment (especially regarding the price), it's only logical that we get to know about it from indirect sources.
I understand what you are saying, but I stand by what I said. Even though Series S has been a fairly well known secret, MS had never confirmed it. To me its preposterous that they would avoid public acknowledgment before its leaked by retail units. They knew the risk of having retail units out there, and I cannot for the life of me understand how they let this get confirmed outside of official channels and messaging.

splattered

thats the thing,i find funny people who come to forums or twitter and says,they have are holding a lot of things under the sleeve,bitch they a are using cgi for a lot of their big tittles because they are still behind schedule and doing these kind of games takes a lot of time,they didnt their homework last gen and it shows,and money cant change that magically

Hey now don't talk about Sony like that :(

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Somehow Series S got confirmed by a controller packaged for retail. Confusing is an understatement.

Exactly. Like why were Xbox Series S controllers even being packaged in the first place?

Microsoft confuse me at times and they can even be contradictory at times. For example, I think I remember them saying something like, “We are not competing with Sony, our direct competition is Google, Apple and Amazon”. Yet we must undercut Sony’s PS5 price no matter what and beat them. Which is it?

It's all so weird to me. It's as if MS just to be day traders in the marketing of next-gen gaming news. But they don't seem to have any clear plan for next-gen outside of GAMEPASS. It's as if they don't even want to compete in the console space, but someone high up at MS demands that they do.

NickFire

Exactly. Like why were Xbox Series S controllers even being packaged in the first place?

I'm honestly wondering if Holiday 2020 means something unexpected, like Labor Day. I really doubt it after their last games video, but for the life of me I cannot fathom how they would even walk the tightrope of retail units in the wild before announcing it without a plan to follow the Apple model of announcing right before going on sale. Very weird turn of events IMO.

GriffinCorp

I think it's time for Aaron Greenberg to go tbh. His work has been less than impressive to say the least. The way the messaging and general communication is handled by microsoft is akin to a startup and not a well established multi-national company.

I wish he and Phil Spencer would get more professional on Twitter. They always over hype everything and under deliver, at least in my opinion. They backtrack on something weekly it seems and It's getting old.

It's all so weird to me. It's as if MS just to be day traders in the marketing of next-gen gaming news. But they don't seem to have any clear plan for next-gen outside of GAMEPASS. It's as if they don't even want to compete in the console space, but someone high up at MS demands that they do.

I definitely agree with this. It’s like the higher ups have two voices with entirely different perspectives barking commands in their ears or something.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
This will be my last response because clearly you're a bit dense. One does not need to have the "appropriate qualifications" to recognize that something is amiss.

So basically you don't know what you're talking about and you're completely unqualified to pass judgment, but you're still gonna blabber about someone needing to lose their job and call others "dense."

Ah, the internet. 😂

Last edited:
So basically you don't know what you're talking about and you're completely unqualified to pass judgment, but you're still gonna blabber about someone needing to lose their job and call others "dense."

Ah, the internet. 😂
You're wrong, he's right.

Anyone can see issues stemming from Greenburg. Sony, Microsoft, Valve, EA et al all keep their mouths shut and only talk when they need to present a clear and concise message.

Spencer and Greenburg just spout random shit, then back track and apologise, then do a 180 on that back-track, condescend and belittle to their fanbase and then 180 again when they're called out.

I'm a Microsoft fan, but they need to ditch both Spencer and Greenburg.

The Alien

Banned
Don't really care what name they call it.

Overall MS has done a very good job communicating in advance of the console launch.

Top Bottom