• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360: design seen, name confirmed

bud

Link

British sources have confirmed that the next generation Xbox is indeed called Xbox 360, that the logo is a simple, round nexus, and that the console itself has a concave design. And it's white. Maybe.

Many rumours have been circulating in the past months regarding Microsoft's next generation system, but let us now lay them all the rest. The name of Xbox's successor is Xbox 360, we can confirm, and the design of the machine is indeed a concave shape.

Speaking under conditions of strict anonymity, a British source privy to Microsoft's marketing documents has today confirmed the machine's name and previously rumoured details of the actual design.

The machine can stand upright and hollows in at the middle, like it's "sucking in its cheeks," our source told us today. Previous rumours had put the console as silver, although fresh information says the final design may be white. It's impossible to tell from the documents, the source went on to say.

According to the source, the rumoured slot for the hard drive - which was apparently at the top of the machine - is not obvious on the document, and the person was unable to clarify where the slot for discs actually appeared.

The logo is described as a simple, round nexus with "Xbox 360" written inside it. Previous rumours had simply the numbers "360" in the disc.

Microsoft will show the console for the first time in a half-hour special on MTV on May 12, a week ahead of E3. The company's press conference, on Monday, May 16, will be the first viewing of the console to the trade en bloc.

Xbox 360 is expected to receive a global release in late 2005.

When contacted today, Microsoft simply said that it does not comment on rumours and speculation relating to next generation product.

Tortfeasor

How can this be real if the guy who has looked at the white paper on the system cannot tell where the disc is inserted? Doesn't sound like any system white paper I have ever seen, at least one that specifies the design of a system.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The machine can stand upright? Wow that's original as all hell! Go MS R&D! ;)

Mrbob

White?! Does MS think most gamers clean their systems daily? That shit is going to get dirty looking fast! :lol

Launching early to get extra sales, underpowered to the upcoming Sony console, efficient design, white color. Sounds like another console which released a year before the PS2...! MS should just call this the Dreamcast 2.0 and be done with the name game!

PhatSaqs

Banned
Mrbob said:
White?! Does MS think most gamers clean their systems daily? That shit is going to get dirty looking fast! :lol

Launching early to get extra sales, underpowered to the upcoming Sony console, efficient design, white color. Sounds like another console which released a year before the PS2...! MS should just call this the Dreamcast 2.0 and be done with the name game!
:lol :lol

Triumph

Banned
Bleah. I'm definitely getting one, but WHITE? That clashes with EVERYTHING in my entertainment center. What will Gayming Age think of me???

Dujour

Banned
I've said it before, the name 360 implies that there has been no real progress and they're back to square one.

Mooreberg said:
The name is strange but it sounds like that white unit that was in front of Allard in some photo was the real thing.
nope, pretty sure that was stilll a prototype/decoy type of thing. That hardly had a concave surface, and was still very square.

Hmm, strange that they don't know where the discs or the hard drive goes. I think the white will be pretty great, based on the controller. I like.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
sol5377 said:
Xbox 360 = ipod-like milky white skin
PS3 = black, psp-like slick metallic skin

that would be awesome :)

I kind of have apple on the mind, but I get the impression that they would love to go that companies route with their console (ad/presentation wise).

Maybe it will be similar in color to the Japanese Saturn.

jarrod

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Maybe it will be similar in color to the Japanese Saturn.
Yes please.

SATURN_white.jpg

Suerte

Uh, won't it just be XBox 360 in Japan too, when Japanese people pronounce "Playstation 2", do they actually say the Japanese word(s) for two? Apart from that, anytime I've seen a famistu scan or something around here it's always had "Playstation 2" on it, meh.

Apologies if you were just joking about the japanese name :p

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Mooreberg said:
The name is strange but it sounds like that white unit that was in front of Allard in some photo was the real thing.
Maybe because it is... aside from a few changes of course that you can figure out.

The Dreamcast was white, and I thought that looked pretty good. The best looking version of the Saturn is also white... so this may work out. Xbox always seemed to have a black/green and a white/orange scheme to things (in the beginning, at least). If its not a super-shiny reflective white, then it may look pretty good. That kind of reflective plastic (like the PSP) looks good in black, but on white it looks cheap.

Jonnyram

Dujour said:
I've said it before, the name 360 implies that there has been no real progress and they're back to square one.
Nah. 180 would be a bad name, but 360 makes it sound like it's a rounded machine :)

I like the sound of this, as long as it's not too concave. And global release in 2005. HELL YEAH!!!

Soul4ger

That PDO Xbox is awesome. I wish I had one of those. I've seen it before, but I marvel every time.

Why are they debuting this on MTV? ::sighs::

Mrbob

Jonnyram said:
Nah. 180 would be a bad name, but 360 makes it sound like it's a rounded machine :)

I like the sound of this, as long as it's not too concave. And global release in 2005. HELL YEAH!!!

Japan doesn't deserve Xbox 360 at the same time as North America is getting it! Japan abandoned the Xbox!

SUPPORT THE X THIS TIME!!!

bud

Soul4ger said:
That PDO Xbox is awesome. I wish I had one of those. I've seen it before, but I marvel every time.

Why are they debuting this on MTV? ::sighs::

The masses...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Another non-flat console

FFS!

MS (and everyone for that matter) should just stop giving info to UK media, they leak everything they are told.

sol5377

it's gonna be like this:

ipod.jpg

very very cool. Not entirely original, but in the console and home electronics department, it's pretty unique.

Sysgen

Xbox 3 6 0

Current = BLACK

New = WHITE (a 3 6 0 from BLACK)

WHITE=VIRGIN=A NEW BEGINNING

All makes sense to me.

Top Bottom