• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Elite officially announced. GameSpot Feature

arne

Brak said:
Duly noted.

But if the elite is for us, and we have thrown a hissy fit, then what is joe consumer going to think?

They're going to think "Hey, i can get this other Xbox 360 here that works EXACTLY THE SAME for $80 less."

They are NOT going to go... "wait, i want the $479 but i can't get it! efff that I'm going to get a wii instead now" because that $399/$299 is still there STARING AT THEM in their nice white/green boxes. and a couple months of saving will get them that 120gb hhd if they really wanted/needed it.

“This is an acknowledgement that the PS3 was probably priced about right,” said Mr Pachter, referring to criticism that Sony had pitched its price too high, resulting in slow sales.

More like an acknowledgement of the existence of a niche market of suckers who'll pay anything for the next new tech-gizmo. :lol

TheLegend

Wow, what is going on in this industry? Raising the price of consoles and an analyst saying it justifies extremely high prices for a system that isn't selling? I'm so glad consumers have shown with the PS3 that they won't spend this much on a system, and will do the same with the "Elite".

Lastly, the Elite is NOT a limited edition. It is, as one of our MVP people like to say, the newest edition to the Xbox 360 family. To cover a bunch of issues right here at the end: The prices are and will remain for the time being, $299, $399 and $479, the Elite is not limited edition, the Elite will always be black and the Core and Premium will always be white (barring any future funky special editions, but it won't be an "across the board" change).

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

My dreams of getting a WHITE Elite this Fall for $400 have been shattered!

This image gets one last past, as a memorial:
whiteelitexboxqa9.jpg

to keep the Apple comparisons going, this sorta reminds me of when Creative/Rio/Archos fans are all "you get waaaay more for your money with this. Why would anyone buy an iPod when it doesn't even have xyz feature that my Creative/Rio/Archos mp3 player has?"

And the Apple fan responds that it's "all about the interface and services" and it has a "tightly integrated, and user friendly digital distribution store" in a "wide variety of price ranges".

It'll be interesting to see if this philosophy carries over at all to gaming.

Muppet345

arne said:
They're going to think "Hey, i can get this other Xbox 360 here that works EXACTLY THE SAME for $80 less."

They are NOT going to go... "wait, i want the $479 but i can't get it! efff that I'm going to get a wii instead now" because that $399/$299 is still there STARING AT THEM in their nice white/green boxes. and a couple months of saving will get them that 120gb hhd if they really wanted/needed it.
What about the new chips? I think it's pretty ridiculous this new system won't run cooler or quieter than the current 360. I agree with you otherwise. I was waiting to buy a new 360 until the hardware failure rate wasn't absurd, but now I can't wait any longer because of Mass Effect, so I'm pretty sad the Elite uses the same hardware.

Also, you people need to stop pretending you know what Joe Consumer, Joe Sixpack, Joe Massmarket, or Joe ****stick will do when presented with a retail dilemma. It makes you look oblivious and ignorant, and you can present any scenario you want to back up your claims. It's ridiculous and it needs to be stamped out. This isn't to you, arne, since you were responding, just the countless amount of people who have been using it the past few months.

YYZ

jimbo said:
But really, you could have really taken out Sony with a price drop.....or even....by not doing anything. Or at least anything stupid. And you didn't.

I hate when I use the wrong wording becuase people don't post anything relevant and just nitpick on your wording.

And spaceghost's comments on the HDD business is WEAK. Protect from hackers?? OK friend, how about protecting XBL users from having THEIR accounts hacked.

His other points are good like on the wireless, but I only agree becuase I don't like using wireless either. He never says anything about why the wireless adapter is so f'ing expensive. Same reason to why the HDD is expensive? Not a good answer, try again please.

Even if a company does include wireless, REALLY, how much does it cost? He makes it sound like MS is saving you a lot of money and heartache by not including wireless when something as cheap as the DS and the Wii have it built in, give me a break. So what if there's a new standard? You're telling me wireless G is not going to be used at all 5 years from now? Maybe wireless b will be completely gone by then (seems like it is now), but PS3 supports both.

J-Rzez

Norse said:
But as long as 360 outsells ps3 in NA each month, I am fine with whatever they do cause my 20 gig premium can play all the kickass games.

Haha, what? Guess you'll be upset then if the PS3 starts selling more than the 360 and your kickass games aren't really as kickass anymore because of it huh?

Brak

arne said:

I agree that people will not opt for the Wii. I'm not claiming to know what will happen. I just feel like there are lot of people like me, who want a 360 but are waiting for the premium to come down in price, and now it feels like we are even further away from a price drop.

arne

Kevar said:
What about the new chips? I think it's pretty ridiculous this new system won't run cooler or quieter than the current 360. I agree with you otherwise. I was waiting to buy a new 360 until the hardware failure rate wasn't absurd, but now I can't wait any longer because of Mass Effect, so I'm pretty sad the Elite uses the same hardware.

Also, you people need to stop pretending you know what Joe Consumer, Joe Sixpack, Joe Massmarket, or Joe ****stick will do when presented with a retail dilemma. It makes you look oblivious and ignorant, and you can present any scenario you want to back up your claims. It's ridiculous and it needs to be stamped out. This isn't to you, arne, since you were responding, just the countless amount of people who have been using it the past few months.

yeah, dunno about the internals. i would have figured the same as everybody else about that but who knows. i don't design the boards or build them.

your last point is right. people are also acting like the mass market (or any consumer) has never been presented with a rage of products at different price points whose only (real) difference is how much storage they have. like the apple example soul creator gave.

people are and have been used to buying different versions of the essential the same product with or without "options" based on what they're looking for and/or their price aversion.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
jordan0386 said:
I hearby add ten more pages to this thread...

***SO SAID, SO DONE***

SpaceGhost2k from TeamXbox writes...

So thats the kind of idiot they hire who tells them stuff like this is a good idea. Protect from hackers. Yeah. Riiiight.

Locked into one standard? g is fine, g has been fine and will continue to be fine. Its just part of console cycles instead of a constantly updating series, like the PC.

Rhindle

arne said:

Arne, I love you man - but if the Xbox division boys really believe what you're saying they're in for a rough ride, and it's downhill all the way.

You're assuming the videogame market makes rational choices, like when you're picking computer components. The last couple of years have proven that is not the case. People will not accept anything less than the "best" console. If they buy anything less than the "best" console, they are racked by fear and doubt that they did the wrong thing.

The 360 just got an $80 price increase. It's as simple as that.

jordan0386 said:
You say the HDD is costly...In another post, he basically tells you, it isnt that cheap to make

There is some truth to that. An HDD intended for consoles has to meet stricter performance tests than other HDDs. Plus it's 2.5". Still...

GhaleonEB

arne said:
yeah, dunno about the internals. i would have figured the same as everybody else about that but who knows. i don't design the boards or build them.

your last point is right. people are also acting like the mass market (or any consumer) has never been presented with a rage of products at different price points whose only (real) difference is how much storage they have. like the apple example soul creator gave.

people are and have been used to buying different versions of the essential the same product with or without "options" based on what they're looking for and/or their price aversion.
In a way, MS forced this on themselves with the Core SKU. I just got done listening to the Major Nelson podcast with Albert, and the reasoning is much better than I thought. I still don't think it's a good idea to split the market thus, but given the situation with the Core/Premium, it's kind of necessary.

Norse

J-Rzez said:
Haha, what? Guess you'll be upset then if the PS3 starts selling more than the 360 and your kickass games aren't really as kickass anymore because of it huh?
shouldnt ps3 actually outsell 360 for just 1 month in NA before you spout your crap? Your ps3 is around 4 million behind...you have a long way to go.

my ps3 is still available if all else fails...course that means I will have to stop its folding...great thing eh? My new 600+ dollar gamin system has done morefolding than gaming.

White Man

Ergh, so these are using the same busted fab processes as current 360s, then? I guess I'm waiting until the next revision. Whatever happened to the 65nm revision?

arne said:

Dude, stop it, really.. I'm an xbot true and true, but this is just ridiculous. the 399 unit is NOT the same as the 479 minus 120GB HDD, it lacks an HDMI port, which is the ONLY thing I'm interested in about this new SKU. If the Core and Premium are updated with an HDMI port that would be right. But then, doing that would piss off a 10 million userbase to huge extremes, wouldn't it? I can see MS's dilemna, but you are doing a bad job of covering up for them. They are stuck between a rock and a hard case while trying to compete on marketing bulletpoints with Sony, but they are doing a bad job of it.

WickedLaharl said:
just so i'm clear on this, is the elite the only sku that will ever have an hdmi port?

Yes, according to today's announcements. The Core, Pro, and Elite are "locked in" feature wise. Future price drops and 65nm chips are still on the horizon, though.

arne

GhaleonEB said:
In a way, MS forced this on themselves with the Core SKU. I just got done listening to the Major Nelson podcast with Albert, and the reasoning is much better than I thought. I still don't think it's a good idea to split the market thus, but given the situation with the Core/Premium, it's kind of necessary.

I don't claim to know anything Albert knows or any of the strategy here. I'm taking some educated guesses on what the result is and what I've seen.

Maybe what I'm really doing is just trying to justify my future purchase(s) to myself! :lol

tahrikmili said:
Dude, stop it, really.. I'm an xbot true and true, but this is just ridiculous. the 399 unit is NOT the same as the 479 minus 120GB HDD, it lacks an HDMI port, which is the ONLY thing I'm interested in about this new SKU. If the Core and Premium are updated with an HDMI port that would be right. But then, doing that would piss off a 10 million userbase to huge extremes, wouldn't it? I can see MS's dilemna, but you are doing a bad job of covering up for them. They are stuck between a rock and a hard case while trying to compete on marketing bulletpoints with Sony, but they are doing a bad job of it.

see other thread where middle america has no idea what HD cables are. :p

GhaleonEB

White Man said:
Ergh, so these are using the same busted fab processes as current 360s, then? I guess I'm waiting until the next revision. Whatever happened to the 65nm revision?
The last rumor was, 65nm was delayed into the "middle of 2007". I suspect this SKU is timed to help clear out the 90nm chips, so the price cut in the fall lines up with the 65nm roll-out.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Ahhhhh... just woke up, and the Elite is real...

Second of all, just from the first few pages, GAF is overreacting as always... predictable...

Me? As I based on the rumours, I still don't need any of the things the Elite brings, so there is STILL no need for me to want to have a 360 Elite, so I'm good... my gaming experience will still be as good, hell, exactly the same as an Elite owner's...

So I dunno yet if somewhere after the first few pages of the bitchfest that I saw, if people actually started to use common sense, or if people who actually cared posted logically, but seeing as the Core and Premium still exist, and are still cheaper, there is nothing to bitch about - in fact, it should actually give the haters less to whine about...

And hey, look at that, HDMI cables included in a system with HDMI, as well as the other HD cables that normally come standard with the Core - the way it should be done.

Now I know that I can hold off my 3rd controller purchase and pick up a sweet Black controller later on too... :)

Gonna read the rest of this huge thread as I have my breakfast now...

Fusebox

Banned
Damn you MS, all I wanted was a quieter Xbox, and you couldn't even do that. Even some primary colors and a handle would be fine but noooo...

Topfuel

Rhindle said:
Arne, I love you man - but if the Xbox division boys really believe what you're saying they're in for a rough ride, and it's downhill all the way.

You're assuming the videogame market makes rational choices, like when you're picking computer components. The last couple of years have proven that is not the case. People will not accept anything less than the "best" console. If they buy anything less than the "best" console, they are racked by fear and doubt that they did the wrong thing.

The 360 just got an $80 price increase. It's as simple as that.

What data do you have to back those statements?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I wonder if Microsoft will eventually have a built-in HDMI port in every 360 after the Elite is released for a couple months.

Muppet345

GhaleonEB said:
The last rumor was, 65nm was delayed into the "middle of 2007". I suspect this SKU is timed to help clear out the 90nm chips, so the price cut in the fall lines up with the 65nm roll-out.
This really irritates me. The 360 has a game market that I want to be apart of right now but unless I want to settle for busted hardware, I have to wait until later this year.

Manp

so they keep selling the versions without HDMI so they can sell the Elite an an higher price?

what a joke...

:)

GhaleonEB

arne said:
I don't claim to know anything Albert knows or any of the strategy here. I'm taking some educated guesses on what the result is and what I've seen.

Maybe what I'm really doing is just trying to justify my future purchase(s) to myself! :lol
Well, just listen to the segment.

The Core is just the system and wired controller, and composite cables.

What if someone wants to buy the 360 with the bigger HDD? The options are spend $580 for the Premium plus bigger HDD, or get a Core and the 120 GB drive, but not get the headset, wireless controller and component cable with it. Pretty crappy choices. Solution? Elite SKU. It makes sense. I just think it will be detrimental without a price cut. MS should have waited until they dropped the price and slid the Elite in at the top thus:

$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite

If you have to hold off until the fall to do it, so be it. I think that would have been a much smoother transition for MS. Of course, I'm still assuming a price cut is coming this fall, and given how I've been wrong at guessing everything MS is going to do, that may not be a safe assumption. :lol

Norse said:
my ps3 is still available if all else fails...course that means I will have to stop its folding...great thing eh? My new 600+ dollar gamin system has done morefolding than gaming.

but won't you be proud if your work unit is the one the cures cancer?!

soul creator said:
to keep the Apple comparisons going, this sorta reminds me of when Creative/Rio/Archos fans are all "you get waaaay more for your money with this. Why would anyone buy an iPod when it doesn't even have xyz feature that my Creative/Rio/Archos mp3 player has?"

And the Apple fan responds that it's "all about the interface and services" and it has a "tightly integrated, and user friendly digital distribution store" in a "wide variety of price ranges".

It'll be interesting to see if this philosophy carries over at all to gaming.

Interesting analogy. :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
arne said:
sigh. have it your way.

I fully understand where they are going with this, and next year, when I finally get an HDMI equipped TV, I'm going to get an elite. Your job isn't to convince me, it's to convince the masses. If MS marketing can sell them both, then shit, you all have done a great job. I feel that the elite is the best package as well. However, I don't know too many people that will settle for something that that isn't considered the best. Price != quality.

dirtmonkey37 said:
I wonder if Microsoft will eventually have a built-in HDMI port in every 360 after the Elite is released for a couple months.

That's what I'm guessing, once the older spec mainboards have been phased out.. Now, the Elite announcement does not move me a bit. I'm not interested, I don't feel an HDMI por tis worth 79.99$ extra when I can have 720p/1080p DVD/HD over VGA. I won't buy it or hate it, but if the Premium is updated to have an HDMI port for the same price, I'll throw a fit.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
a Master Ninja said:
mrfantasticthatsastretch.gif

Maybe I'm looking at this with my early adopter eyes and my need to have the top of the line everything. I would like to believe I'm wrong. However, I don't predict sales, we shall see with the upcoming NPD

Muppet345

I have a question for you guys. Just how loud is the 360? I've listened to Youtube videos but there's not a lot of comparison in them to other stuff. I game in a very tiny, quiet room with the volume on low. The system and television are four feet away from me, and people are usually asleep in the next room over while I do so. Is the system going to significantly drown out the television and make a lot of noise, or is its noise output exaggerated? What would you compare the noise to?

I didn't think I'd have to deal with this if I waited for the Elite but apparently so.

Barnolde

Banned
Norse said:
if the core came out later it would require a hdd becaus all games would use the hdd...kind of defeas the pupose of the core then, right?

No, because the prices would have dropped. You shouldn't make something as integral as an HDD an option, especially when your last gen system had it built-in, something that your current competitor follows, but you don't.

The Premium should've been the real Core and the Elite is the real Premium. MS is even backtracking on the HDD stance, they're updating their labeling to say whether or not the game is "hard drive enhanced".

No matter how anyone tries to spin it, had the 360 released with an HDD in every system, it would be a better system. Splitting the userbase on something as essential as a hard drive is ludicrous. Yeah some games use the HDD already, Oblivion for example, but it can't rely on it. One example is Full Auto 2, which may not be the greatest game, but it isn't on the 360 because it uses the HDD heavily, because it can, just like Halo did, just like Ninja Gaiden did. Because MS cheaped out, gamers got ****ed and devs got ****ed even more.

I await to see how HL2: Orange Box will play without the HDD, as if HL2's loading wasn't bad enough.

arne said:

Except you can't save games on it, store anything on it and loading is longer. Why oh why is MS so intent on deceiving their consumers, just make one good product ffs. How many versions of Vista are there, btw? I know there's a Core one, which is gimped and just used for marketing "Vista starting at $99!" just like "Xbox 360, starting at $299!" Don't people at MS read Dilbert, stop letting marketing make braindead decisions for you!

MS can't win, because they don't aspire to be the best. It's a company with lots of money and lots and lots of smart, hardworking people, so why is MS constantly undermining itself? You should take pride in your products. Seamus Blackley and Ed Fries would've never released something like the 360 with such poor reliability, but as time went on MS did not need them anymore and went back to their usual practices. The people that birthed the Xbox are gone, as is their vision of gaming and the quality evidently went with them, but at least that wannabe pseudo-hipster J Allard was taken from the spotlight and demoted to the Zune, goddamn I hated that guy.

Though one thing I do respect MS for is people like you and Major Nelson, community people is important and I'm sure that the guys you got over at AVSForum among other places are why HDMI is coming out at all. Thanks again arne for putting up with all of our crap, I look forward to playing PD Orta and JSRF on my 360 soon, much love <3.

WickedLaharl said:
just so i'm clear on this, is the elite the only sku that will ever have an hdmi port?

IIRC, it's something that will be added to the other systems down the line, probably alongside 65nm.

Kevar said:
I have a question for you guys. Just how loud is the 360? I've listened to Youtube videos but there's not a lot of comparison in them to other stuff. I game in a very tiny, quiet room with the volume on low. The system and television are four feet away from me, and people are usually asleep in the next room over while I do so. Is the system going to significantly drown out the television and make a lot of noise, or is its noise output exaggerated? What would you compare the noise to?

I didn't think I'd have to deal with this if I waited for the Elite but apparently so.

Get one of those oscillating fans and set it on high, that's the best comparison I can think of. The 12x DVD drive is a loud beast, it's loud like the Dreamcast was. Sometimes it quiets down during some parts, but for most games it's constantly spinning loudly.

At least the d-pad will be usable with the black controller and actually be good like the controller S's d-pad was, right? People didn't like the Duke and they got the S fairly quickly (6-8 mos after it launched, right?), the 360 has an unfunctional d-pad (when I push down it should NOT go left) and if it was the original Xbox, it would've been fixed already. I refuse to have to sand down my otherwise perfect controller just to get one part to a functional state.

In the end, the Elite is not more reliable, it doesn't run cooler or quieter and it doesn't come with a towel. These are the important things moreso than anything else and they have yet to be addressed. Most consumers are NOT like FirstinHell and do care when their expensive product breaks down.

J-Rzez

Norse said:
shouldnt ps3 actually outsell 360 for just 1 month in NA before you spout your crap? Your ps3 is around 4 million behind...you have a long way to go.

Read your post I quoted... You said "But as long as 360 outsells ps3 in NA each month, I am fine with whatever they do cause my 20 gig premium can play all the kickass games."... WTF does it matter just so they outsell the PS3 in NA? If they don't, is that going to upset you that your gaming experience will now be less kickass? WTF does that have to do about anything is what I want to know...

I don't even know why I'm trying to rationalize with someone that bought, what is it now, 9 PS3's?

Maybe if the PS3 sells more than the 360 then month to month, you can enjoy it more, just what are you going to do with the 360 since there's not F@H? I'll enjoy good games on my PS3 or 360 regardless...

If anything, your post shows about everything you say in PS3 threads or about it as crap...

Norse

GhaleonEB said:
Well, just listen to the segment.

The Core is just the system and wired controller, and composite cables.

What if someone wants to buy the 360 with the bigger HDD? The options are spend $580 for the Premium plus bigger HDD, or get a Core and the 120 GB drive, but not get the headset, wireless controller and component cable with it. Pretty crappy choices. Solution? Elite SKU. It makes sense. I just think it will be detrimental without a price cut. MS should have waited until they dropped the price and slid the Elite in at the top thus:

$199 Core
$299 Premium
$399 Elite

my thoughts exactly.

For the guyssitting and waitin for the 65nm 360's...buy one now with 2 yr extended best buy warranty or wing it with ms 1 yr....my launch syste is fine still. I did buy a best buy 2 yr warranty, so I feel safe enough.

so whats tomorrow night going to bring us from MS land? New spring update? Halo 3 beta? Annuncing free live with gold being more of a "ge things first" over silver?

I hope its the latter just to quiet the whining about free vs pay online systems.

bud

The HDMI port would make a lot more sense to me if it also had an hd-player (be it HD-DVD or Blu-Ray). Obviously consumers still have the choice to buy any sytsem they want, but they don't have two sku's to chose from they have 3 now. So it might be a problem for some consumers who think that the higher priced SKU is the better one, while they can't buy one, just like with the PS3.

Top Bottom