• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Elite officially announced. GameSpot Feature

Treo360

manzo said:
I'm quite sure there will be. You can change now your own 20gb HDD via a firmware flash. I'm propably going to do this, just swap out the current 20gb HDD and add a flashed normal 120gb drive when it's possible.

Provided that MS hasn't "fixed" this yet. I'm going the same route too. HDMI is a non issue for me.

oo Kosma oo said:
With the Elite and the bigger HDD now announced will Microsoft finally release the Video Marketplace in Europe?

What's the point of releasing the bigger HDD here if there's nothing to put on it?

I have the awful feeling that its the other way round, that they won`t release the Elite or the drive here until we get the marketplace over here.

EUROPE AM CRY, AGAIN! Boycott the big 3 till europe is an equal!

Kosma

Banned
Oh yeah I got to say this may prove a smart move by MS, I fully see this replacing the Premium pack when that stock has sold out.

haven't read through this but am i the only one who wishes there was a white version of the elite? i don't even care for the 120GB harddisk but i desperately need HDMI on my xbox

The Jason

So the Elite is $180 more than the core and it comes with a 120GB HDD and HDMI, but just the 120GB HDD is $180 by it's self? I guess that's so they can say "hey buy the elite and you'll get HDMI for free!"

It seems Microsoft forgot that $180 for a 120GB HDD is ****ing insane. I guess some people will have to buy it tho.... I'm just not sure how many people have an ass hole big enough for Microsoft to f**k them in.

arne

Odysseus said:
there's no doubt in my mind that most people that only owned a ps2 would rather get a ps3. that's just human nature, stick with what you know. all their favorite games will be there, that's not an issue. the only issue is how much they are willing to spend for it. if it turns out xbox 360 is also getting all their favorite games and at a price much lower (and, besides, they don't get all those hd, blu-ray mumbo jumbo), then maybe xbox 360 actually is a viable alternative.

microsoft right now should be thinking of a way to solidify that switchover. january and february npds are clear indicators that sony is going to have a hard time, microsoft should be in a position right now to make that hard time much worse. but then they go and announce a new sku that carries a higher price, and you are left to wonder, does microsoft even care about getting to the mainstream? or are they completely oblivious how to get to it? or maybe do they expect halo 3 and grand theft auto iv to do all that work for them?

for whatever reason, consumers are rejecting the core, arne. there's no denying it. the rationale has been that sometime down the line when it's at a lower price, then people will start to buy it. that'd be easier to swallow if a sizable percentage were actually buying it now. since they aren't, we can only hypothesize why people aren't going for it even now. is it because they recognize the lack of functionality? or is it because they don't want to settle for a lesser version? or maybe somewhere in between? for microsoft's sake, it better be the functionality. if the major reason is due to the lesser image, the elite is basically what many in this thread, myself included, say it is: a price increase in the eyes of the average consumer. and that is precisely the opposite of what the 360 needs if it is to be the dominant force of the industry.

which, again, brings us back to something i asked earlier, does microsoft actually care about the mainstream? or is it just about becoming the media hub and appealing to the ultra-hardcore techies, and if you aren't interested in that then screw you.

1. if brand loyalty was so strong they would have sold 5mm without any games. note: i'm only half serious. regardless, the price is still much lower even with this.

2. you want a cost reduction because you're cheap. there's no other indication right now to make a cost reduction and i believe elite isn't going to change that in a detrimental fashion. but that's what i believe.

3. the core is not for you. the core is likely not even for north america. get off hating on the core. it does not apply to you or your discussion. to your point, it does not apply if everyone is rejecting it here because then it's even more of a non-issue. you and i also have no real insight into what the average consumer is actually thinking.

4. you don't have to take it from me. every executive has said they're all about broadening the market and that's what they're doing. that means going mainstream. that's how you cross the chasm. that's how you make money. that's always the end goal of any high-tech product. and again, there's no reason to lower the price and take a bath while doing so.

5. this is no different than any other tirade you've been going on for over the past year. you want a cheap box so you can play Mass Effect. you are price averse to a certain price point (as are many people). but through and through, you want something that is affordable and worthwhile for yourself, but you can't really speak for the mass consumer. neither can i. being abrasive about it isn't going to change it. it's only going to make you more bitter. especially on here.

arne

Ghost said:
Made sense as a limited edition that got made white and set as the premium sku in 3 or 4 months but **** paying that much extra for features they've been telling us we dont need for the last 8 months.

popular misconception. most, if not all of the things the top execs have said in interviews is that they are keeping their options open and listening to consumer demand.

you can go all and dig up quotes about 1080p-that and hdmi-this, but when it comes down to it, the line as always really been "We're listening to consumer demand and will make the best decision at the right time based on that."

elite wasn't thought-up yesterday.

Fredrik

arne said:
Wait, wait. You are all saying that basically people are settling for an Xbox 360 when they what they really want is a PS3?
Lots of people do, yes. That's why lost PS3 third-party exclusives makes GAF go mental every single time. People don't want to pay $599 for a console if they don't have to. If they can play their favorite titles on a $399 console instead then that's what they're going to do.

But at the same time, people don't want to buy a "Retard pack" either so people will now want the Elite 360 instead of the Premium because of the bigger HDD. That's just the way it goes. Which in turn will make the PS3 look cheaper than it did before, since you'll now get a Blu-ray drive and wifi for those extra $120 that will get you a 60GB PS3 instead of an Elite 360.

Add wifi and an HDDVD drive to the Elite 360 and it'll cost you $750 or something like that.

And add 5 years of online gaming too and it'll cost you $1000.

Treo360

Dahbomb said:
Wouldn't it be smarter to just get the Core 360 and get the standalone 120GB HDD?

okay why do that? you pay nearly the same sans the hdmi/component cables for HD playing and wireless controller and finally the headset.

Dahbomb

I am done with gaming if either Sony or Nintendo announce another SKU for their systems.

Treo360 said:
okay why do that? you pay nearly the same sans the hdmi/component cables for HD playing and wireless controller and finally the headset.
Yeah I know, I read the specs of the Elite incorrectly. I made the correction in my original post.

Odysseus

Banned
arne said:
1. if brand loyalty was so strong they would have sold 5mm without any games. note: i'm only half serious.

2. you want a cost reduction because you're cheap. there's no other indication right now to make a cost reduction and i believe elite isn't going to change that in a detrimental fashion. but that's what i believe.

3. the core is not for you. the core is likely not even for america. get off hating on the core. it does not apply to you or your discussion. to your point, it does not apply if everyone is rejecting it here because then it's even more of a non-issue. you and i also have no real insight into what the average consumer is actually thinking.

4. you don't have to take it from me. every executive has said they're all about broadening the market and that's what they're doing. and again, there's no reason to lower the price and take a bath while doing so.

5. this is no different than any other tirade you've been going on for over the past year. you want a cheap box so you can play Mass Effect. you are price averse to a certain price point (as are many people). but through and through, you want something that is affordable and worthwhile for yourself, but you can't really speak for the mass consumer. neither can i. being abrasive about it isn't going to change it. it's only going to make you more bitter. especially on here.

not bitter.

and goodness gracious, it's never been about if the core is for me or a good idea, get off that. the only issue is why isn't it selling, and what that possibly portends for the 360 in light of this new sku. if we aren't allowed to hypothesize, then let's all hit the log out link, close our browsers and go to bed.

that might not be a bad idea anyway.

but to the point, this isn't about me at all. you're right, i'm looking for the thing to get down to a certain point before i jump in, and at this point i don't care who the dancing partner is, except that i'm not interested in waggle, so nintendo would need something more conventional to get me on board. but that's not the point. microsoft's sales this past year have been decent. better than xbox, not as good as ps2, and who was expecting it to be as good as ps2 anyway? at least, that's what i would always say in the sales threads. but i see an interesting moment right now that microsoft would be wise to try examine further. the wii is strong, who knows how strong, and the ps3 is weak. i think it is foolish to write off wii as a direct competitor until it is proven otherwise, and i think sony is gasping for air, bouncing off the ropes, staggering and ripe for a knock-out punch. microsoft is in the unique position to deliver that blow and check nintendo's momentum at the same time. they're not only electing not to take that swing, but apparently they have other ideas entirely. good luck to them. i say they are foolish, as i don't think the elite sku does anything to broaden the appeal of the xbox 360 at all. the people who would want the space, who would want the hdmi, they're likely to be among the earliest of adopters of the console anyway. but, hey, i guess i haven't gone around asking everybody so you won't take my opinion on the matter.

a Master Ninja said:
Yes, a lot of Xbox Live content is bound to the console it was orginally downloaded on, meaning even if you transfered the data your stuff wouldn't work. The Spring Dashboard Update will unbind all you content.

Is this true? If it is do you have a link that supports this? I want to get an Elite but I don't want to keep my old 360. I have so many games and DLC I paid for on it and I don't want to lose them.

I don't get it? They're just keeping costs high, by developing new production lines. Wht produce a black model, with black accesories when this will just increase your overheads and not help reduce production costs?

On a personal note, why are they trying to copy Sony?

Rhindle

arne said:
4. you don't have to take it from me. every executive has said they're all about broadening the market and that's what they're doing. that means going mainstream. that's how you cross the chasm. that's how you make money. that's always the end goal of any high-tech product. and again, there's no reason to lower the price and take a bath while doing so.
OK, honestly now. "Broadening the market"? Do MS execs seriously believe that this move somehow broadens the market?

Are they thinking there's a contingent of people out there who haven't bought a 360 yet because it's just too damn cheap, and they need a price increase to get them over the hump?

I'm seriously puzzled as to how someone reached the conclusion that this move will help sell more units. The only way I can see it resulting in incremental sales is if the ultra-hardcore crowd decide to upgrade en masse. That doesn't exactly help generate additional software sales, so what's the point?

Really, the only rationalization for this is that they had to get the 120GB unit out one way or another to support Video Marketplace and IPTV, and the higher price is a way to drain the 20GB inventory out of the market before a price cut. I hope that's what's going on.

arne

Odysseus said:
not bitter.

and goodness gracious, it's never been about if the core is for me or a good idea, get off that. the only issue is why isn't it selling, and what that possibly portends for the 360 in light of this new sku. if we aren't allowed to hypothesize, then let's all hit the log out link, close our browsers and go to bed.

it's not selling because it's $299. it will sell when it's, say under $250 or less depending on where you look at it in the global sense. we're still in the early adopter stage, we have not yet hit early majority for much of the world, and just on the cusp of it for the north america and parts of europe.

Odysseus said:
but to the point, this isn't about me at all. you're right, i'm looking for the thing to get down to a certain point before i jump in, and at this point i don't care who the dancing partner is, except that i'm not interested in waggle, so nintendo would need something more conventional to get me on board. but that's not the point. microsoft's sales this past year have been decent. better than xbox, not as good as ps2, and who was expecting it to be as good as ps2 anyway? at least, that's what i would always say in the sales threads. but i see an interesting moment right now that microsoft would be wise to try examine further. the wii is strong, who knows how strong, and the ps3 is weak. i think it is foolish to write off wii as a direct competitor until it is proven otherwise, and i think sony is gasping for air, bouncing off the ropes, staggering and ripe for a knock-out punch. microsoft is in the unique position to deliver that blow and check nintendo's momentum at the same time. they're not only electing not to take that swing, but apparently they have other ideas entirely. good luck to them. i say they are foolish, as i don't think the elite sku does anything to broaden the appeal of the xbox 360 at all. the people who would want the space, who would want the hdmi, they're likely to be among the earliest of adopters of the console anyway. but, hey, i guess i haven't gone around asking everybody so you won't take my opinion on the matter.

i'm not discounting your opinion. but you, like me, are basing it on a lot of suppositions that neither of us have a lot of vision in. i'm debating yours to see what you think and you're debating mine to see what i think. there's no hard feelings and i'm not trivializing what you say just because you don't know what the mass consumer thinks. hey neither do i.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Odysseus said:
and i think sony is gasping for air, bouncing off the ropes, staggering and ripe for a knock-out punch. microsoft is in the unique position to deliver that blow and check nintendo's momentum at the same time. they're not only electing not to take that swing, but apparently they have other ideas entirely. good luck to them. .

This is what bothers me the most. Probably the clearest shot they might ever have. During the Major Nelson podcast, they said that retail people loved it. I dunno, I guess it helps that the 20GB PS3 is practically MIA. I can't call it anymore.

arne

Rhindle said:
OK, honestly now. "Broadening the market"? Do MS execs seriously believe that this move somehow broadens the market?

Are they thinking there's a contingent of people out there who haven't bought a 360 yet because it's just too damn cheap, and they need a price increase to get them over the hump?

I'm seriously puzzled as to how someone reached the conclusion that this move will help sell more units. The only way I can see it resulting in incremental sales is if the ultra-hardcore crowd decide to upgrade en masse. That doesn't exactly help generate additional software sales, so what's the point?

Really, the only rationalization for this is that they had to get the 120GB unit out one way or another to support Video Marketplace and IPTV, and the higher price is a way to drain the 20GB inventory out of the market before a price cut. I hope that's what's going on.

broadening the market is done with software and over time with cost efficiencies and market penetration. i did not specifically say this hardware is only about that or spearheading that plan. i was responding to odysseus wondering if MS wants to go mainstream with this thing.

and i'll say this again. with the way you're looking at it, the best thing to do is to think of this SKU as the premium with a packed in 120gb. that's really all you're paying for and what this is doing.

also, can you say re-launch? lolz

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Europe Q&A:
xcn said:
Q: Could you tell us exactly what gamers will get when they buy a Xbox 360 Elite console?

Mike Newey: Sure. Included with your Xbox 360 Elite you’ll get a 120 GB hard drive, a high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) port built-in to the console, a high definition cable, and a premium black finish for the console, wireless controller, and Xbox LIVE headset. So not only does the Elite console have the bigger hard drive and the HDMI port, it also looks really cool.

Q: Will we be able to buy the new Elite accessories separately?

Mike Newey: Absolutely. Offering Xbox 360 owners the choice to upgrade and customise their console in whichever way they want is very important to us, so we will be making all of the Elite accessories available separately. The 120 GB hard drive, the black Wireless Controller, the black Headset and the Xbox 360 HDMI cable will all be available for sale separately in the US from April 29, and we’ll be announcing European launch dates for these accessories as soon as we can.

In addition, we will also be releasing black versions of the Xbox 360 Play & Charge Kit and the Rechargeable Battery so you can ensure all your accessories match! Again, we’ll bring you more details about when these accessories will launch in Europe soon.

Q. When will the Elite console be available?

Mike Newey: The Elite Xbox 360 will be available in the US from April 29. We have not announced release dates for the Elite console in Europe yet, but rest assured that as soon as we can let you know we will.

Q: Why can’t you tell us when the Elite Xbox 360 and accessories will be available in Europe?

Mike Newey: I really wish I could! But let me reassure European gamers that we’re definitely committed to bringing the Xbox 360 Elite to Europe and other regions around the world. I unfortunately can’t give you any more information at the moment about when this will be, but we will announce dates in those regions the moment we can.

Q: Why is the US getting the Xbox 360 Elite first? It feels like Europe always has to suffer when stuff like this comes up…

Mike Newey: While I know it’s not much comfort for European Xbox 360 fans, we’re introducing the Xbox 360 Elite console into North America first because there is already a large base of Xbox LIVE customers there who are already downloading HD games and entertainment. Because of that it makes more sense for us to introduce the Elite console in the US before Europe. That said, we know that gamers in Europe and around the world will be desperate to get their hands on the Xbox 360 Elite and its accessories. I wish I had better news for you, but all I can tell you right now is that we’re working very hard to bring the Elite console and accessories to Europe as soon as we can, and I’d like to thank European Xbox 360 fans for their patience and support.

Q: The Xbox 360 Elite console will be priced at $479.99 in the US – how much will it cost in Europe when it finally arrives?

Mike Newey: I don’t want to sound like a broken record, but I’m afraid I can’t give you any information on European pricing for the Elite Xbox 360 or the Elite accessories at the moment. As soon as we can give you this information we’ll be delighted to share it with you.

Q: The Xbox 360 Elite console is the most expensive Xbox 360 yet, but Nintendo’s Wii has been selling really well and it’s very cheap. Why are you introducing a more expensive console?

Mike Newey: The Nintendo Wii is great fun, but it’s a games console and very little else. Aside from standard def gaming it has very limited functionality compared to the Xbox 360. For a few pounds or Euros more than the Wii we offer high definition gaming with Xbox 360 Core, which you can always upgrade with a hard drive and other accessories if you want to.

On the other hand, the Elite Xbox 360 offers more than double the storage capacity of any competing console. This will allow you to store more games, music, photos and other entertainment on your Xbox 360 than any other console out there. We know that gamers want to be able to do this, so that’s why we’ve introduced the Elite console and the 120GB hard drive.

Q: The PS3 has received criticism for being very expensive – given the Elite Xbox 360 is more expensive than the current Xbox consoles on sale, aren’t you just saying that Sony’s high price is okay?

Mike Newey: Don’t forget that we will soon be offering European gamers three choices: Xbox 360 Core, Xbox 360 Premium and now the Xbox 360 Elite. In comparison Sony only offers one type of console for about £425 or 599 Euro. The Xbox 360 Core console is the perfect way for gamers to get all the benefits of the Xbox 360 at a great value price. Later, if they decide to upgrade their Xbox 360, they can add a 120 GB hard drive which is more than double the storage capacity of the PS3, at a price lower than the PS3!

Q: If I buy a new 120 GB Hard Drive, will I be able to transfer the data on my existing 20 GB hard drive onto it? Or will I have to constantly swop my hard drives?

Mike Newey: You won’t have to swop your hard drives at all. When you buy a 120 GB Hard Drive you’ll also receive a migration cables which will allow you to easily copy all the data on your old hard drive onto your new one. It’s really easy!

Q: Will the Elite console come with one of these migration cables?

Mike Newey: We don’t think there will be a lot of current Xbox 360 owners who want to buy an Elite console and transfer data from their old 20 GB hard drive, so there will not be a migration cable bundled with the Elite console. However, we know that some current Xbox 360 owners will want to upgrade to the Elite console, so if they get in touch with us we will be more than happy to supply a migration cable free of charge.

Q: Why have you decided to add an HDMI socket to the Elite Xbox 360?

Mike Newey: We decided to offer an HDMI cable with the Elite console to continue to offer more choices to Xbox 360 owners. If you’re lucky enough to have an HD television equipped with an HDMI socket you’ll now be able to enjoy a high definition signal through a single cable. However, you do not need HDMI to experience Xbox 360 games and entertainment in high definition – it just gives you more options.

Q: Will the Premium and Core Xbox 360 consoles have HDMI added soon?

Mike Newey: We have not made any announcements about adding HDMI to either the Core or Premium Xbox 360 consoles.

Q: There have been a lot of rumours that the black Xbox 360 would come with a built-in HD-DVD drive. Why have you decided to not do this, especially since PS3 comes with a built-in Blu-Ray drive?

Mike Newey: We’ve taken great care to listen to what our customers want, and we’ve heard that the majority of people do not necessarily want an HD DVD player built into their Xbox 360. The big thing for us at Xbox is to offer you as much choice as possible, so rather than forcing you to pay for an HD-DVD drive you might not want to use we have made the external Xbox 360 HD-DVD drive available. If you’re keen to watch DVDs in high definition you can purchase the HD-DVD drive separately – but we’re not forcing you to pay more for it if you don’t want it.

Q: There has also been a lot of talk online about a quieter disc drive in new Xbox 360s. Will this quieter disc drive be in the Elite Xbox 360 console?

Mike Newey: I can’t comment on details of specific components. What I can say, however, is that we’re always making sure that the parts we use to build the Xbox 360 are the latest and best parts available.

Q: 10 million Xbox 360 customers have already spent money on an Xbox 360 with a smaller hard drive and no HDMI connectivity. What would you say to these customers?

Mike Newey: We really believe that the majority of current Xbox 360 owners will find that their existing system already does everything they need. There are no new features on the Xbox 360 Elite console that your existing Xbox 360 doesn’t have. You can already connect your existing Xbox 360 to your HDTV with a hi-def cable, and if you feel you want to upgrade your hard drive we will be making the 120 GB hard drive available separately. However, if you’re buying an Xbox 360 for the first time or you’re a current Xbox 360 owner wants the premium high definition experience and a bigger hard drive, the Xbox 360 Elite console is a great value way to upgrade.

Q: Does the announcement of the Xbox 360 Elite console mean that we’ll be seeing a price drop for the existing consoles in Europe soon?

Mike Newey: At the moment there are no plans to announce a price drop for the Xbox 360.

Q: Will you be removing the Xbox 360 Premium Console or the Xbox 360 Core Console from European stores now that the Xbox 360 Elite Console has been announced?

Mike Newey: No. Both the Premium Xbox 360 and the Core Xbox 360 are very important for offering you as much choice as possible when buying an Xbox 360. The Elite Xbox 360 does not replace either of these – rather, it offers a further option for the kind of gamer who wants the biggest possible hard drive, HDMI connectivity at a great value price. And I didn’t even mention the cool black finish on the console and its accessories, which is definitely going to make the Elite console a bit of a collector’s edition!

Q: Recently faulty Xbox 360 consoles and customer service complaints have been making the news. Are you bringing in the Elite console to phase out some of the older, more unreliable Xbox 360 consoles out there?

Mike Newey: We take our customers’ feedback very seriously and we are doing everything in our power to address the issues that have been brought to our attention. That said, we’ve introduced the Elite Xbox 360 to offer you more choice and not to get rid of any other Xbox 360 console. We’re really confident that everyone who buys an Elite console will be extremely impressed with what a quality – and cool – product it is. Thanks for your time Mike!

arne said:
broadening the market is done with software and over time with cost efficiencies and market penetration. i did not specifically say this hardware is only about that or spearheading that plan. i was responding to odysseus wondering if MS wants to go mainstream with this thing.

and i'll say this again. with the way you're looking at it, the best thing to do is to think of this SKU as the premium with a packed in 120gb. that's really all you're paying for and what this is doing.

also, can you say re-launch? lolz

How are they going to handle DLC when you transfer them from one console to the other? I have many DLC that I purchased and I want to upgrade to the Elite, but all your DLC are tied to the system that you purchased them on. If I get an Elite, the only way I'll eb able to use my DLC and arcade games is if I am online and only if my gamertag is signed on. My wife has a gamertag and she won't be able to play the games even if she is logged online. So how are they going to handle that if current 360 owners like me decide to upgrade to an Elite?

arne

Phoenix Fang said:
How are they going to handle DLC when you transfer them from one console to the other? I have many DLC that I purchased and I want to upgrade to the Elite, but all your DLC are tied to the system that you purchased them on. If I get an Elite, the only way I'll eb able to use my DLC and arcade games is if I am online and only if my gamertag is signed on. My wife has a gamertag and she won't be able to play the games even if she is logged online. So how are they going to handle that if current 360 owners like me decide to upgrade to an Elite?

i have no idea, but from all indications, especially given the existence of a transfer cable to you can transfer your content, this has probably been thought of and being/has been taken care of.

i would like to know too though. i have a ton of content tied to the console which i would like to be able to access during 24hr+ XBL downtimes.

Odysseus said:
they're broadening the market

Do you believe they will? I think downloadable games/content are quality (I'm guessing that's why they put a big hard drive in there), but Microsoft have already broken down that avenue due to releasing different SKUs, it just doesn't gel with my theory of broadening the market.

Not wanting to sound like a kiss arse, but Sony's free online, Hard drive in every console and hi-def player are ways I see of "broadening the market" obviously comes at a higher price to all consumers, but it's more of a definitive way then producing different types of console.

travisbickle said:
Do you believe they will? I think downloadable games/content are quality (I'm guessing that's why they put a big hard drive in there), but Microsoft have already broken down that avenue due to releasing different SKUs, it just doesn't gel with my theory of broadening the market.

Not wanting to sound like a kiss arse, but Sony's free online, Hard drive in every console and hi-def player are ways I see of "broadening the market" obviously comes at a higher price to all consumers, but it's more of a definitive way then producing different types of console.

Sony and Microsoft are both going out of their way to out-stupid each other in the race to see who can piss off someone who only wants to play games.

I hope all of the money MS isn`t spending on price cuts is the US is going towards making great new games, that`s all I can say!

Mike Newey: We don’t think there will be a lot of current Xbox 360 owners who want to buy an Elite console and transfer data from their old 20 GB hard drive, so there will not be a migration cable bundled with the Elite console. However, we know that some current Xbox 360 owners will want to upgrade to the Elite console, so if they get in touch with us we will be more than happy to supply a migration cable free of charge.

Spare us the hassle and include one, please.

hadareud

The Translator
The more I think about this announcement the more sense it makes. When I first heard about it I thought that this would be a major ****up, but it's actually only a minor one it seems.

The strategy seems good, the execution piss poor.

This is what I suppose MS's strategy with the Elite is:

- ensure decent sales during the quiet summer months. They really do not want to fall to far behind the Wii, and they think this is the way to do it.
- high impact price drop this fall without compromising the sales in the months prior to a price drop
- they do not want Sony to drop the price this year, and they want to make sure they don't by not giving Sony any reason to
- introduce a bigger HDD, an accessory they obviously want to make money on
- introduce HDMI port and eventually make it standard across all SKU's with later revisions

This is what I think MS are doing wrong:

- the price. Who wants to pay an extra 80 Dollars for what is essentially the same console with a bigger HDD?? 449 would have been a good price, 479 is too close to the 20 gig PS3.
- the value. If they would have included a wireless adapter this package would have been great value (at 450), 479 for what they are offering is a rip off. I don't think customers will be happy.
- they make Sony look good and give them opportunity to brag about their package.
- NOT A LIMITED EDITION. The biggest mistake, they could have averted any bad publicity by saying that it's just a limited edition. If it's a big success just make it standard, but why the **** are they introducing a third sku when there is no need for it and when it doesn't make sense? A limited edition would sell better because people love to buy ltd edition stuff, for whatever reason. It also really doesn't offer enough to be a successful SKU in its own right.

So I think it's a good idea, but the execution is really poor. They weren't under any pressure to make a move, but they chose to put themselves in a bad situation. Odd choice Microsoft

*shakes head*

Come on, MS. Make that damn thing the new $399 Premium and kick the old one down a noth to $299 and make it the new Core. And that price for the 120GB HDD is $30 too much.

Oh yeah, since no one's posted it yet (And I finally found it again)

xboat3redringsdr8.gif

****ing morons!

arne

cartoon_soldier said:
Man, looks freaking cool.

Wish they had wifi though :(

why so you can be trapped by having to subsidize last-gen b/g?

you have choice now, you can choose, a/b/g or even draft-n/n! :lol

good night you clowns.

Subitai

So, MS is making a feint in Sony's direction with a HD-DVD add-on and a new HDMI sku. How much longer before they feint in Nintendo's direction with new controls?

arne said:
why so you can be trapped by having to subsidize last-gen b/g?

you have choice now, you can choose, a/b/g or even draft-n/n! :lol

good night you clowns.

I like choice, but the make the elite more elite, built-in wifi would have been awesome.

I will probably end up buying this anyway to replace my launch-time 360.

MCD

What if i bought this Elite and changed the cover/faceplate with my white 360...

White Elite confirmed, new SKU, the choice is clear!

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Hey Blim do you know anything about how reliable are these consoles? Its new hardware after all. I got lucky with my launch unit. I dont want to get screwed up with this one. I am getting it on day one.

Aaron

Funky Papa said:
No reason to upgrade until they start packing some of that 65nm sweetness. As simple as that.
Here's an easy solution to this. Buy the elite when it comes out (or whatever 360 model) at Bestbuy or somesuch with a two year exchange warranty. So if the system does die, you're covered. And if you really want the revision when it comes out, just say the thing has died and make your swap. I think you'd be nuts to not buy a warranty with a high price system no matter what, so you might as well take advantage.

nubbe

One thing the console will not come with is a data transfer cable, as had been rumored. However, a standalone, $179 120GB drive for the console will be released alongside the Xbox 360 Elite bundled with a data-transfer cable. The cable will allow for the transfer of all Marketplace downloads and game saves from an existing 360 hard drive to the new hard drive.

Price is horrible... Transfer Cable.. good.

MCD

Aaron said:
Here's an easy solution to this. Buy the elite when it comes out (or whatever 360 model) at Bestbuy or somesuch with a two year exchange warranty. So if the system does die, you're covered. And if you really want the revision when it comes out, just say the thing has died and make your swap. I think you'd be nuts to not buy a warranty with a high price system no matter what, so you might as well take advantage.

I bought my premium 360 with no warranty...lulz.

it's electronic, it's bound to malfunction one day.

DoubleTap

I love how MS justifies introducing a more expensive model as giving us more choices. Yeah you're making people choose alright. We don't live in a vacuum, the $479 price tag just opened up the door for people to seriously consider getting the PS3 which is already available with an upgradeable HDD, Blue Ray and with matching accessories. Bad move MS. (shakes head)

spwolf

Aaron said:

or simply not buy it...

:D

Sony gonna love this

Blimblim

The Inside Track
godhandiscen said:
Hey Blim do you know anything about how reliable are these consoles? Its new hardware after all. I got lucky with my launch unit. I dont want to get screwed up with this one. I am getting it on day one.
I don't know yet, but I will ask for sure.

DoubleTap said:
I love how MS justifies introducing a more expensive model as giving us more choices. Yeah you're making people choose alright. We don't live in a vacuum, the $479 price tag just opened up the door for people to seriously consider getting the PS3 which is already available with an upgradeable HDD, Blue Ray and with matching accessories. Bad move MS. (shakes head)

Sure, why buy the console you want Halo 3 on when you can buy a PS3 instead?

Top Bottom