• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Elite officially announced. GameSpot Feature

Freki

I dont understand this move at all - instead of dealing a death blow to sony microsoft basically helps them...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
The Innocent X said:
Please do. First question should be 65nm. All else is secondary.
65nm is already confirmed to not be available until Fall. I just want to know about how different is the building process of these Elite 360's from the original ones. If its totally different and MS is experimenting, I kinda dun want to be their guinnea pig again.

HokieJoe

speculawyer said:
HDMI output isn't much of an advance when the hd-dvd is connected by unprotected USB.

What? I'm not sure what your point is here. HDMI should enable output of the lossless audio codecs like TrueHD.

DoubleTap

Confidence Man said:
Sure, why buy the console you want Halo 3 on when you can buy a PS3 instead?

What's your point? Halo 3 is the only reason to get a console? There are people out there who have no interest in Halo 3 believe it or not.

Freki

DoubleTap said:
What's your point? Halo 3 is the only reason to get a console? There are people out there who have no interest Halo 3 believe it or not.

That's correct - I'm much more interested in Mass Effect, Forza2, PGR4, Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon at the moment!

godhandiscen

Freki said:
I dont understand this move at all - instead of dealing a death blow to sony microsoft basically helps them...
Thats a misconception. You see, a lot of people really want this new 360. Also, if you are expecting a price drop, it wont happen because right now if any one of the 3 companies drops the price the other 2 will follow so nothing will change. It will only mean that you will make even less money. AFAIK MS makes $70 per console, Sony gets even and Nintendo makes $100. If MS drops the price, they will threaten Nintendo, so Nintendo will be forced to drop their price and they can afford a higuer drop than MS, so MS stops making a gain, and Nintendo will just make an even smaller gain, the result, MS loses. If Nintendo drops the price, they would be stupid since they are in a position in which they already are perceived as the cheap console, plus dropping the price may allow people to have a Wii and another console, thus making the costumer have the Wii exclusively for Nintendo titles, which third parties wont like, and then Nintendo would get screwed. So if Nintendo drops the price, they lose. If Sony drops the price, Sony will lose money and the other two will drop the price even more, thus Sony loses. IMO, no console will drop the price until at least fall, you can quote me on that.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ok...here are the rules people! Xbots list their games...Sbots list theirs and Nintendorks laugh at both. You cannot use Sonic or any Sega game, they are now banned from such lists. Halo 3 acts as 5 games in total, FFXIII as 7 games. LIST WARRRS

DoubleTap said:
What's your point? Halo 3 is the only reason to get a console? There are people out there who have no interest in Halo 3 believe it or not.

My point is the consoles aren't interchangable. If someone wants a 360, it's not because of some list of features.

godhandiscen

DoubleTap said:
I think he meant people buy consoles for exclusives, and Halo 3 was just an example.

godhandiscen

BlueTsunami said:
Ok...here are the rules people! Xbots list their games...Sbots list theirs and Nintendorks laugh at both. You cannot use Sonic or any Sega game, they are now banned from such lists. Halo 3 acts as 5 games in total, FFXIII as 7 games. LIST WARRRS
Halo 3 = only 5 games while FFXIII = 7? Thats some crappy logic since Halo 1 & Halo 2 have sold more than FFX, FFXI and FFXII combined?

Pug

The Extras you get on the Elite model and the cost factor just don't tie in for me. HDMI is all well and good and yes its going to be required for security reason in the future. But for life of me I can't tell the differnece between component/HDMi inputs. And surely the extra capacity of the Hard Drive is only going to be use by a small minority of people. And I agree they should have at least had wireless built in.

DoubleTap

Freki said:
Sorry - I just wanted to back up your point that Halo3 is rather meaningless to some (me for example).

Ah. gotcha. But you guys missed my point. MS needs to expand their marketshare. Expanding means getting new users on board. You guys that are Halo fans, and non Halo fans with the 360 lists etc are already on board. If someone still doesn't have a new gen console at this point in time; do you guys seriously think they don't care as to what features are included in the console they're buying?

Aaron

Pug said:
The Extras you get on the Elite model and the cost factor just don't tie in for me. HDMI is all well and good and yes its going to be required for security reason in the future. But for life of me I can't tell the differnece between component/HDMi inputs. And surely the extra capacity of the Hard Drive is only going to be use by a small minority of people. And I agree they should have at least had wireless built in.
... then don't buy it. It's like saying it's stupid for companies to offer pro lines of HDTVs since you don't want or need any of the additional features. MS themselves said the premium is still where they expect most people to put their money.

unomas

Banned
They couldn't include a transfer cable for those of us looking to upgrade? Sorry guys, no sale! I wouldn't use the Wi-fi but I can see how others would be pissed. At only $20 cheaper than the PS3 with no HD DVD it should at least have Wi-fi. Come on MS try a little not to **** us over!

HokieJoe

Barnolde said:
How are the new systems not shoddy, it's the same tech, they may not be as poorly made, but I certainly wouldn't gamble $400 when I know a definite fix is coming in a couple months.

I'm not saying the 360 has been without it's problems, I don't think this is a fair statement. The problem is a manufacturing/assembly defect, it doesn't have anything to do with chip architecture. There's nothing wrong with either the Xenon or Xenos chips at the 90nm process that a transition to 65nm will necessarily cure.

If it were a problem with board architecture they could've revised that a long time ago. 65nm is simply a smaller process that will allow the CPU to operate with smaller voltages and thus less heat. That's a good thing, but I don't think it's a fix for any problem that MS has had with the 360.

We don't know what the problem is exactly. The most common theory that I've read about is that the malfunctioning units are the result of faulty BGA (ball grid array) solder joints. That's why the hot air gun trick seemed to work- at least temporarily. It reflowed the solder joints. If this is true then heat isn't the enemy so much as just crappy lead-free solder.

I understand your position if you want a cooler running 360, but I don't think it will affect reliability much. That's my guess anyway.

ElyrionX

What an absolutely stupid move.

Price is the only thing that separates the 360 from the PS3 and is perhaps the greatest advantage of the 360 and now Microsoft decides to raise the price. Consumers aren't going to care that the new SKU is a better deal than the old SKU. People are just going to look at that price and look at the PS3 and see less of a difference now.

What a brilliant move, Microsoft.

ElyrionX said:

Price is the only thing that separates the 360 from the PS3 and is perhaps the greatest advantage of the 360 and now Microsoft decides to raise the price. Consumers aren't going to care that the new SKU is a better deal than the old SKU. People are just going to look at that price and look at the PS3 and see less of a difference now.

petermooreawesomecopyie2.jpg

ElyrionX said:

Right, because they can't look at the prices of the other two SKUs anymore...

This whole thing reminds me of the initial dual SKU announcement. A lot of MS DOOMED predictions, but in the end it didn't mean anything, just like this won't mean anything.

ElyrionX

Confidence Man said:

This whole thing reminds me of the initial dual SKU announcement. A lot of MS DOOMED predictions, but in the end it didn't mean anything, just like this won't mean anything.

Sure, just like how they're going to look at the cost of the WiFi adaptor and decide that they might as well as get the 60GB PS3 instead because that adds up to roughly the same amount.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
The transfer cable doesn't come with the elite unit... and... the elite unit offers a larger HD and an HDMI input over the regular units... and that's it?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
would have been nice if they eliminated the core, set the elite at 399, core dropped to 300. i don't know if it would have ultimately been a better business move--i'm not privy to the economics of these sorts of things--but it would have certainly helped nudge me along to picking up a system.

DarienA said:
The transfer cable doesn't come with the elite unit... and... the elite unit offers a larger HD and an HDMI input over the regular units... and that's it?

pretty much.

Idiotic does not even begin to explain it.

ElyrionX

DarienA said:

Well, the console itself is a "premium" black colour and it even comes with matching accessories!!!

hadareud

The Translator
DarienA said:

yeah, not great. Of course that's not including the secret internal Blu Ray drive they are announcing tonight.

DarienA

Kabuki Waq said:
pretty much.

Idiotic does not even begin to explain it.

It's like making a more expensive 360 validates the higher PS3 prices...

Hell now I'm really curious to see if there is a 2nd announcement tonight....

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Confidence Man said:

of course they can look at the other SKUs, but MS has now made those other versions 'not as good' by creating this new one. So people will have to think 'do I make do with this one or get the best one?'. And that 'best one' is very similar in price to the lower PS3 (yes I know, no stock etc)

And the actual features MS have put into this new version don't justify it IMO. HDMI is a pointless addition - just there for e-willy waving imo. And the HDD is presumably to help MS sell movies, so why price it so high?

mrklaw said:
of course they can look at the other SKUs, but MS has now made those other versions 'not as good' by creating this new one. So people will have to think 'do I make do with this one or get the best one?'. And that 'best one' is very similar in price to the lower PS3 (yes I know, no stock etc)

And the actual features MS have put into this new version don't justify it IMO. HDMI is a pointless addition - just there for e-willy waving imo. And the HDD is presumably to help MS sell movies, so why price it so high?

exactly.

Xellotah

Has anybody considered that this move is a move to counter Sony..

Sony is aiming for the Premium market and Microsoft is covering the asses by having a SKU that is "somewhat" comparable to PS3.

Freki

Xellotah said:
Has anybody considered that this move is a move to counter Sony..

Sony is aiming for the Premium market and Microsoft is covering the asses by having a SKU that is "somewhat" comparable to PS3.

Nah - to go "real" premium they would have to include the HD-DVD into the 360 - and that's a thing I doubt will happen.

mrklaw said:

That doesn't make any sense at all. If noone is going to look at the 'not as good' version of the 360 why would someone be looking at the 'not as good' version of the PS3 to compare?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
mrklaw said:

I'm living proof of this. A couple of weeks ago I was entirely sure I'd be buying a premium 360 within the next month or so, but *poof*, there goes that idea.

I fully expect you'll see elite at $399 for the holidays, premium at $299 and core at $199. MS's problem arises if premium and core both now come to be the great 'ignored'. Quite asides from that, it also opens up the possibility of MS and Sony's product pricing suddenly having a direct overlap at the $399 pricepoint, something that did not exist before. There was always a gap before between their respective ranges, now they'll probably be connected by the holidays. Something I never thought MS would do or run the risk of doing.

Of course, I expect Sony won't be half as smart as they could be here either. IMO they should make the 20GB the main SKU and drop to $399 for the holidays to only further facilitate the uncomfortable position for MS outlined above. But of course, they probably won't (make the 20GB the main SKU, I mean).

Confidence Man said:
That doesn't make any sense at all. If noone is going to look at the 'not as good' version of the 360 why would someone be looking at the 'not as good' version of the PS3 to compare?

Well, I bought the 'not as good' PS3 version because I can make it 'good enough' in the future without being ripped off. With 360 I feel like I need to buy in at the higher end because I've no cheaper or better way to get there. So there's one reason, I guess.

DarienA

Does the PS3 take a SATA or IDE drive? I've forgotten, and how much does a 120GB version of whichever drive it takes run these days?

Top Bottom