• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 internal HD-DVD drive *is* coming?

hadareud

The Translator
oh god, it seems the av version rumours were true.

Why can't they wait another year or 2 with this shit? This is a horrible idea.

Wollan

If they are trying to make a PSX/Tivo sideproduct that does way more than games it's okayish but in any other case... god.

Wollan

LiveFromKyoto said:
Uh, why do people think this is a bad idea? "Oh no, more options! They're going to go out of business!"

mrklaw said:
surely all it does is validate Sony's approach in the eyes of the consumer? How can that be good?

Pretty much. And you know, games will still be DVD only and built around those specifications.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
It would make the 360 a competitive/alternative HD movies player (supporting HD-DVD rather than Blu-Ray tho). This wont affect games at all which will still be released on DVD until the end of the system lifecicle.

Wollan said:
Pretty much. And you know, games will still be DVD only and built around those specifications.

MS is doing a pretty amazing marketting scheme. they are going to make the HD DVD addon for 199 US so that 399+199 would be 600 , that wouldnt be such a good deal, so they have a NEW system with HD DVD built in below 600 with a bigger HDD, its like the premium system will become the Tard Pack and the Tard pack will become they sucker pack. This will only be available in the USA because im sure it is in direct deal with directv which only operates in USA.

sangreal

seems like a good idea to me

mrklaw said:
surely all it does is validate Sony's approach in the eyes of the consumer? How can that be good?

not really. a) consumers don't give a shit about how valid someones approach is. b) you still have a choice of getting a 360 without hd-dvd

Alcibiades

mrklaw said:
How does having different versions of a product that target different audience groups validate a strategy that only targets a specific (say young male w/ disposable income) audience?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
As far as im concerned they can do what the want as long it doesnt require me to buy a HD-DVD drive to play new games.

Ghost said:
As far as im concerned they can do what the want as long it doesnt require me to buy a HD-DVD drive to play new games.

GTA 4 + Halo 3 = Requires HD Drive and HDD to play? Sounds good to me! :lol :lol :lol

Wollan said:

It doesn't validate Sony. It's just offering a version that makes for a better media center than PS3, but it's entirely optional.

Like, if they make one out of gold does that mean they've made the PS3 into a bargain?

Wollan

LiveFromKyoto said:
It doesn't validate Sony. It's just offering a version that makes for a better media center than PS3, but it's entirely optional.

You can't claim that X360 is 399$ and below anymore. And they are trading that image for a HD-DVD player that doesn't benefit games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Alcibiades said:
How does having different versions of a product that target different audience groups validate a strategy that only targets a specific (say young male w/ disposable income) audience?

Sony: "we have a bluray player in our PS3. It plays HD movies. Its the future!"

MS: "screw that. We're much cheaper. you don't need that for games".

MS: "We have a HD-DVD player in our 360. It plays HD movies. Its the future!"

Tellaerin

LiveFromKyoto said:

Like, if they make one out of gold does that mean they've made the PS3 into a bargain?

I think the fact that they're choosing to market something like this in the first place can be seen as validation of Sony's approach. If MS felt there was no place in the market for an all-in-one game system/high-definition video player, they wouldn't bother launching one to compete with Sony's offering. Though by using Blu-ray for games as well as movies, Sony's still a step ahead with the PS3 - and MS can't really follow suit by offering games on HD-DVD without potentially splitting their userbase.

Gah if Sony were giving people these options the same people nitpicking in this thread would be talking about what a brilliant move it is. Teh internets is bias

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This whole 'validate' argument is bollocks.

When did MS ever try to invalidate Sonys approach anyway? Their main market is the ultimate all in one device, the PC.

All this new 360 does, if it exists, is compete on a level with Sonys machine for the love of the technophile masses...it doesnt change the 360 approach at all while the other options still run the games.

hadareud

The Translator
mrklaw said:

well the difference is that the Premium and Core versions will still exist, making it cheap.

The AV version is thought for, well, AV enthusiasts. So it doesn't have anything to do with early adopter either, as suggested (not by you)

Having said that, I think it's still a bad idea - at least 1 year too early. It will seem as if they are scared of Sony, that's why it's not a good move for them.

Personally, I am not interested in a HD movie format at the moment either, so it's nothing for me. Although I do like the 250GB hdd and DirectTV stuff. If it functions as a TIVO it would be really cool. It just comes too soon after launch.

Alcibiades

mrklaw said:

Microsoft isn't exactly changing it's tune here (like the HD DVD add-on, "it's about options, blah, blah")

I fail to see how offering an option on a limited basis (not all sets will have it built-in) for movies changes what Microsoft long-held stance that HD DVD isn't needed for games.

Tellaerin said:
I think the fact that they're choosing to market something like this in the first place can be seen as validation of Sony's approach. If MS felt there was no place in the market for an all-in-one game system/high-definition video player, they wouldn't bother launching one to compete with Sony's offering. Though by using Blu-ray for games as well as movies, Sony's still a step ahead with the PS3 - and MS can't really follow suit by offering games on HD-DVD without potentially splitting their userbase.

So you're trying to say that this decision by Microsoft to make an HD-DVD 360 package doesn't give Sony an inch. Amirite?

Also...

Kaz Hirai said:
For example, the fact that we incorporate the Blu-ray drive from day one. You're not going to be asking me, 'So, talk to me about this Blu-ray add-on that you have. Does it work for games? Is it just for movies?' That's exactly the kind of pitfall you fall into if you launch something that's too early.

Stink

This news was so obviously leaked out in answer to Apple's iTV stuff. I doubt it has any bearing currently on the stupid idea to stick with DVD for games.

llTll

Banned
MrMeltdown said:
Its all coming true and its going to create a big mess

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=697475&page=6&pp=30

http://videogamejocks.com/blog/2006...k-xbox-360-splinter-cell-5-and-zune-gameplay/

Black Xbox 360
250 GB HDD
Developed by Directv and Microsoft
HDMI built in
Integrated Wireless Support
Built in HD-DVD Player

Priced within $100 of the $599 PS3

i would pay the price for that. 250G HDD, HD DVD player, WIFI, and black xbox 360 for 700$ sure i am in.

its like paying the same for ps3 but 100$ more for the bigger HDD.

alterego

Luckyman said:
I could see DVD/HD-DVD-version packed on the same disc.

I don't think it's going to happen. I think it's just going to be for movies otherwise the user-base would be split.

"Right now it's focused purely on movie playback," Peter Moore told US site GameSpot.com. "Think of the drive as something that lets you play high-definition movies on the Xbox 360."

hadareud

The Translator
Moneyhats2k5 said:
So you're trying to say that this decision by Microsoft to make an HD-DVD 360 package doesn't give Sony an inch. Amirite?

Also...

Microsoft said:
For example, the fact that we didn't incorperate the HD-DVD drive from day one. You're not going to be asking me, 'So, talk tabout this HD-DVD drive you have. Why does it bring the price up so much? Couldn't you have anticipated that there were component shortages when launching a new drive format?' That's exactly the kind of pitfall you fall into if you launch something that's too early.

You could see it either way I guess.

PipBoy

Banned
Uncle said:
Yeah. It really makes sense to put the game on an HD-DVD if it fits on a DVD.
But you'll have the chinese/polish/russian voices on the HD-DVD layers, how awesome is that ?

Wollan

m0dus said:
Phil Harrison: Anyway, back to our version of Xbox Li-- er, I mean, SONY online . . .

;)

Haha. Cuckoo alright. Atleast wait for more details.
And please try to read all counterpoints in this thread.

Busty

Banned
Alcibiades said:
Microsoft isn't exactly changing it's tune here (like the HD DVD add-on, "it's about options, blah, blah")

I fail to see how offering an option on a limited basis (not all sets will have it built-in) for movies changes what Microsoft long-held stance that HD DVD isn't needed for games.

I seriously doubt that Microsoft would shot themselves in the foot by actively developing and marketing HD-DVD games.

However, I can't help but get the feeling that the average gamer who isn't in the know about every move the hardware manufacturers make beyond releasing their consoles will take one look at the 'built in' HD-DVD Xbox 360 sitting on the shelf and assume instantly that's it's inferior to the PS3. As if Microsoft are having to play 'catch up'.

Microsoft should stick to the position they are in now, trying to make the CORE 360 pack as cheap (and accessible to JOE six pack) as possible, as quickly as possible.

sangreal

Tellaerin said:
I think the fact that they're choosing to market something like this in the first place can be seen as validation of Sony's approach. If MS felt there was no place in the market for an all-in-one game system/high-definition video player, they wouldn't bother launching one to compete with Sony's offering.

When did MS say they felt that way? Microsoft's stance has always been that HD media isn't necessary for games and that Sony's stance is flawed by forcing gamers to pay for it. They never claim there is no market for an all-in-one machine or they wouldn't be offering the HD-DVD addon to begin with.

Xbox shipped with built-in network adapter
PS2 offered a network adapter
Slim PS2 shipped with built-in network adapter

did Sony somehow validate Microsoft's approach and did anyone consider this a bad thing?

Alcibiades

The only Sony approach validated by this (and the HD DVD add-on), is using videogame market penetration to get movie studios to support a particular next-gen HD disc format.

Disney, but ESPECIALLY Fox, get a hard-on when they see the projected platform numbers because of PS3. Mike Dunn, head of Fox movie division, said with less than 100,000 HD DVD players and millions of PS3's (this was before the Europe delay and shipment cuts) before Christmas, the war would be over.

The best Microsoft can do at this point is give XBox 360 owners and potential owners an option to get in on HD DVD to try to lure more support. This isn't about games needing more storage or a validation that every system needs to play HD movies.

It's about going after Sony's currently limited market of young guys with disposable income (where there is money) and trying to change the landscape in the next-gen optical format war...

sangreal said:
When did MS say they felt that way? Microsoft's stance has always been that HD media isn't necessary for games and that Sony's stance is flawed by forcing gamers to pay for it. They never claim there is no market for an all-in-one machine or they wouldn't be offering the HD-DVD addon to begin with.

Xbox shipped with built-in network adapter
PS2 offered a network adapter
Slim PS2 shipped with built-in network adapter

did Sony somehow validate Microsoft's approach and did anyone consider this a bad thing?

That isn't a great comparison, because the Network adapter didn't cost the consumer anything extra when they made that particular sku. But I bet gaf will be having this argument until 2011. ;)

Top Bottom