• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox achievements offline

So I bought Ender Lilies on my Xbox Series X yesterday. My son has been playing GamePass on the Xbox One in the other room, so I've been playing offline.

I've noticed no achievements have popped. I just checked the list, and sure enough, several should have popped. I thought maybe going online again would activate them, but no luck.

Surely, you aren't just locked out of any achievements you earn while playing offline, right? Is there a workaround for this?

CuNi

So I bought Ender Lilies on my Xbox Series X yesterday. My son has been playing GamePass on the Xbox One in the other room, so I've been playing offline.

I've noticed no achievements have popped. I just checked the list, and sure enough, several should have popped. I thought maybe going online again would activate them, but no luck.

Surely, you aren't just locked out of any achievements you earn while playing offline, right? Is there a workaround for this?

According to this page, no. You must be Online:

• Your console must be connected to the Xbox network. To complete challenges and unlock achievements, your Xbox console can’t be set to offline.

Sounds weird tho, I remember back in the 360 days that Offline Achievements were possible.
Maybe I'm just imagining things though or it changed somewhere on the XO or XSX.

Last edited:

alexross

Neo Member
With one of the latest update if you earn an achievement offline, when you go online ad start the game, after a while, you will earn it. But if you delete the game you will lost them

With one of the latest update if you earn an achievement offline, when you go online ad start the game, after a while, you will earn it. But if you delete the game you will lost them
So maybe I need to close the game out and restart? I just turned online back on, but kept playing mid-game. New achievements have popped since, but not the ones I should have earned while offline.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that and let you know if it works.

anthony2690

Banned

Sorry to be off topic, but how is ender lillies? Watched the trailer and it looks pretty interesting.

Also on topic, achievements can not be earned offline.

TBiddy

Not that it helps you, but why would you set your console as offline?

You should be able to sync the achievements, once it goes online again, by the way. Also, how does it look when you're checking the achievement progress on the Xbox it self?

Earn achievements (however, there's limited offline space for game captures and achievements, so you should go online every so often to sync them)
If you completed the requirements to unlock the achievement on your console, but it doesn't show, it might not be synchronized with the Xbox network. Allow up to 72 hours for this synchronization to take place.

Last edited:
Didn't I explain this in my OP?

I just have one account set up. My son was using it on the Xbox One to play Minecraft via GamePass online with his friends. It won't let both consoles be online together. My son refuses to create a new account since all his Minecraft stuff and his friends, etc are tied to the account.

I thought I'd just play offline, since I saw no need to be on to play the game while he played on the One.

Sorry to be off topic, but how is ender lillies? Watched the trailer and it looks pretty interesting.

Also on topic, achievements can not be earned offline.

It's pretty good so far, although the sheer number of 2D metroidvania games is getting ridiculous. The game is hard and has some Souls-like vibes, similar to something like Hollow Knight.

As for the achievements, after going back online and resetting the game, some of the achievements have popped. After I beat the next boss, the achievements for the other bosses popped. When I hit level 19, I got the achievement for hitting level 10.

I'm not sure if something else will trigger the other achievements or not. I guess I'll try to stay online. I just don't understand the need. PlayStation doesn't have this requirement and I'm almost positive the Xbox 360 didn't either.

anthony2690

Banned

I just have one account set up. My son was using it on the Xbox One to play Minecraft via GamePass online with his friends. It won't let both consoles be online together. My son refuses to create a new account since all his Minecraft stuff and his friends, etc are tied to the account.

I thought I'd just play offline, since I saw no need to be on to play the game while he played on the One.

It's pretty good so far, although the sheer number of 2D metroidvania games is getting ridiculous. The game is hard and has some Souls-like vibes, similar to something like Hollow Knight.

As for the achievements, after going back online and resetting the game, some of the achievements have popped. After I beat the next boss, the achievements for the other bosses popped. When I hit level 19, I got the achievement for hitting level 10.

I'm not sure if something else will trigger the other achievements or not. I guess I'll try to stay online. I just don't understand the need. PlayStation doesn't have this requirement and I'm almost positive the Xbox 360 didn't either.
Reminded me instill need to play hollow knight!

But I agree there is an insane amount of 2d metroidvania games now.

I hope all your missing achievements pop :)

TBiddy

Not really no.

Also, as evidenced by the link I posted, you don't need to be online to get your achievements. It works the same as on the PS5, from what I know. It might not "pop", but I'm willing to bet you can see the achievement progress and it certainly saves it anyway.

Last edited:

Roberts

Purely anecdotal and I’m not expert, but over the years I‘ve had an occasional moment when achievements didn’t pop. They always register the next time I’m in the game.

Not really no.

Also, as evidenced by the link I posted, you don't need to be online to get your achievements. It works the same as on the PS5, from what I know. It might not "pop", but I'm willing to bet you can see the achievement progress and it certainly saves it anyway.
No, you can't. I checked. I had 0% competition there as well. Read the rest of this thread. It's been discussed.

They MAY unlock later (if the game decides to recheck based on what you're doing in game), but you do not unlock trophies offline. This is not the same as PlayStation or how the 360 operated.

Last edited:
Reminded me instill need to play hollow knight!

But I agree there is an insane amount of 2d metroidvania games now.

I hope all your missing achievements pop :)
Thanks.

Hollow Knight is still the best metroidvania I've played. Ori and the Will of the Wisps would be second, then probably Guacamelee. I'd really have to think about a top 10 as I've played a TON of them since Switch launched.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I remember 360 days it would just unlock but with no time stamp but wasn’t aware of this.

Codes 208

I remember 360 days it would just unlock but with no time stamp but wasn’t aware of this.
This changed with the One, part fo the whole “online only” thing from when it was first conceived. I guess they weren’t able to properly fix it to offline when they dropped the idea

Miles708

That sounds... unnecessary.
Having to be online to unlock an achievement is kinda odd. Didn't this work fine offline on 360?

EDIT: answered by the kind user above.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
It's weird to be honest. I'm online and they dont unlock half the time, then like a day later they will pop up in my notifications. I'm glad in a way, makes it easier to not care about them

CuNi

This changed with the One, part fo the whole “online only” thing from when it was first conceived. I guess they weren’t able to properly fix it to offline when they dropped the idea

I read up on it a bite more and it seems that back in the day (360) Achievements were Client-Side. That's why you could earn them offline and also could use "Achievement Editors" where you copy your Profile onto a USB Stick, load it up on PC and edit your Achievements etc. Apparently they changed that with the Xbox One where all those things went Server-Side, hence why you need to be Online for them to unlock.
Like some users said, there are some games that either have like cascading achievements (example Story, if you finished Chapter 5, you also must have finished 1-4 etc.) or recheck at certain stages, but that is all up to the game dev to implement and is not mandatory nor consistent across games. The Official Support page, like I linked up way above, says the following:
Your console must be connected to the Xbox network. To complete challenges and unlock achievements, your Xbox console can’t be set to offline.

Banned
My son refuses to create a new account since all his Minecraft stuff and his friends, etc are tied to the account.

that was a huge mistake not making him his own account day 1 😬 . expensive workaround, get him a Switch and Nintendo Online subscription. Minecraft has Crosssave on Xbox and Switch :)
I think almost every system has Crosssave now for Minecraft actually, Sony even let it happen eventually if I remember correctly. So any other version will do

Last edited:
that was a huge mistake not making him his own account day 1 😬 . expensive workaround, get him a Switch and Nintendo Online subscription. Minecraft has Crosssave on Xbox and Switch :)
I think almost every system has Crosssave now for Minecraft actually, Sony even let it happen eventually if I remember correctly. So any other version will do
We have 6 Switch consoles (not exaggerating). His friend plays on Xbox, so he plays there, but he also plays on Switch and his laptop.

Last edited:

Banned
We have 6 Switch consoles (not exaggerating). His friend plays on Xbox, so he plays there, but he also plays on Switch and his laptop.

they all have cross compatibility. as soon as he logs into Minecraft with your Xbox account on Switch and PC he should have literally the same account there as he does on Xbox. I only looked into this a little when I played it on Switch for a bit, and as far as I remember I had all my unlocks and stuff ready to go... and you can also transfer your worlds if I remember correctly.

Corndog

Banned

You should be able to sync the achievements, once it goes online again, by the way. Also, how does it look when you're checking the achievement progress on the Xbox it self?
I believe there is a time limit.

CuNi

Strange? Maybe part of their DRM strategy.

There could be many reasons. Maybe just a tech decision (everything migrated to the server) or just a random decision someone made.
I know back in the day that Gamerscore, depending on how much you had, also gave you 1% or 2% off all Xbox Live Marketplace purchases. I don't know if that is still a thing, but maybe that's a reason.
If it's still there, then maybe they wanted to make sure that nobody "cheats" and get's the 1%/2% off, or if that's no longer a thing maybe it was scraped last minute but the Offline-Changes were already made.

At this point it's all speculations I guess. I dislike that decision tbh, nobody should be forced to be online in any way and if we are honest to ourselves, everyone knows and loves the Xbox "Achievement Unlocked" Sound + Popup.

Online only achievements. Go online and they should start popping up one by one.

TBiddy

No, you can't. I checked. I had 0% competition there as well. Read the rest of this thread. It's been discussed.

They MAY unlock later (if the game decides to recheck based on what you're doing in game), but you do not unlock trophies offline. This is not the same as PlayStation or how the 360 operated.

I may come across as an asshole now, but no, that has not been discussed, just like you didn't mention in the OP why you were going offline.

Achievement progress is stored offline and will be saved once the game syncs. It's not a matter of "if the game decides to recheck based on what you're doing in game". Read the quote from the link above, please.

Earn achievements (however, there's limited offline space for game captures and achievements, so you should go online every so often to sync them)

I believe there is a time limit.

Either a time limit or a numeric limit, but either way, in this specific use case it's no problem.

Last edited:

Miles708

Just chiming in to say that playing offline is a perfectly viable way to play.
Is being required to connect online to enjoy perfectly offline features that's the anomaly.

CuNi

I may come across as an asshole now, but no, that has not been discussed, just like you didn't mention in the OP why you were going offline.
Achievement progress is stored offline and will be saved once the game syncs. It's not a matter of "if the game decides to recheck based on what you're doing in game". Read the quote from the link above, please.
Either a time limit or a numeric limit, but either way, in this specific use case it's no problem.

Which is contradicting to what Microsoft themselves also state on their Support Page

Your console must be connected to the Xbox network. To complete challenges and unlock achievements, your Xbox console can’t be set to offline.

The whole Achievement System seems to be broken where if you get them afterwards or not is pure sheer luck.
From the sound of their own support page, getting achievements is disabled when playing offline. It's nowhere stated if or where the console "buffers" unlocked achievements or if there is a timer/storage limit for that.
So no one can really tell if OP will get those achievements ever unlocked without replaying the game.

TBiddy

Which is contradicting to what Microsoft themselves also state on their Support Page

The whole Achievement System seems to be broken where if you get them afterwards or not is pure sheer luck.
From the sound of their own support page, getting achievements is disabled when playing offline. It's nowhere stated if or where the console "buffers" unlocked achievements or if there is a timer/storage limit for that.
So no one can really tell if OP will get those achievements ever unlocked without replaying the game.

It's right there. Achievements are saved and will be synced once back online. The achievements aren't unlocked when offline, as your link also states, but the progress is saved and the achievements are unlocked when the console is back online. Nothing contradictory about it.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
That sounds... unnecessary.
Having to be online to unlock an achievement is kinda odd. Didn't this work fine offline on 360?

EDIT: answered by the kind user above.
From One onwards the profile is on the internet, not on console itself (there is just some login data/avatar, minor stuff). On X360 it was on the console itself, that's why the profile increased in size over the course of your gaming career.

I almost never used either X360 or XSX offline, so I don't know if there are some major differences between 7th gen and 9th...

For people that don't somehow know the online requirement is necessary because of cheaters. Also when offline its possible to have your account on two different boxes progressing towards achievements, when you log back on it will make you choose which box to sync online. Not having online requirements takes away the integrity of the score even more. fair warning half your achievements will bug out and not unlock if earned offline, plenty of experience from internet outages over the years.

Segaswirl

I got knocked offline for a few hours while playing Judgment on the Series X. I completed chapter 6 (which there is supposed to be an achievement for), went to bed. Then when I put the game on the next day and my internet was working the achievement popped on the main menu, it's also time/date stamped.

Still, it's not really something I want to make a habit of.

Miles708

For people that don't somehow know the online requirement is necessary because of cheaters. Also when offline its possible to have your account on two different boxes progressing towards achievements, when you log back on it will make you choose which box to sync online. Not having online requirements takes away the integrity of the score even more. fair warning half your achievements will bug out and not unlock if earned offline, plenty of experience from internet outages over the years.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I don't see the harm.

If anything, requiring to be online (with everything that this entails, from an usability, performance and preservation standpoint) looks like such a massive overreaction to the point of appearing almost like just an excuse.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Didnt read the entire thread but another bug is if you are playing certain games using the suspend resume feature you won’t get achievements. You have to fully exit the game and load it back up. Hellblade had this issue. Had to beat the game twice to get achievements because I was using suspend resume

Top Bottom