• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox and Bethesda Developer Direct 25th January (8pm UK / 3pm ET / 12pm PT)

Umbasaborne

Banned
Looking forward to seeing some next gen only games, details on Forza are going to be very interesting especially if they deliver on the promise of in game RT. How this translates to Series S also will be worth seeing.
Hyped for Redfall after the recent developer interviews, great news that you don't get AI companions if you play solo, so it's a real single player campaign.
Release dates are also very important now.
Yeah im curious as to how the on track rtx will work, i can see it being two seperate modes, a. Native 4k 60 fps mode, and a reconstructed 4k with rtx at 30 fps mode. Even the most powerful pc’s today can struggle with native res at 60 fps with rtx enabled

Chukhopops

Let's be fair; considering the years of shit Xbox has been getting due to lack of first party/high quality games, this is a crazy weak start to the year and certainly doesnt instill much hope for 2023.

It's great they are talking about games we can play soon but ita clearly just a way for them to avoid talking about the year as a whole.

Forza, Minecraft and ESO Online? At a time when they are lacking fresh ideas and ip they start 2023 by focusing on 3 of the most tired and stale IP they have?

If MS had any faith in thier current projects we'd see atleast hints of Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Perfect Dark etc.

The silence is deafening.
They start the year by focusing on the games coming in the first half of the year instead of games coming in the future…

Not gonna argue with the rest because lmao.

Ozriel

M$FT
Let's be fair; considering the years of shit Xbox has been getting due to lack of first party/high quality games, this is a crazy weak start to the year and certainly doesnt instill much hope for 2023.
Why would they do a massive, blowout show in January when they’ve got E3 to do in June?

Forza, Minecraft and ESO Online? At a time when they are lacking fresh ideas and ip they start 2023 by focusing on 3 of the most tired and stale IP they have?

Cleverly omitting Redfall from this to fit your narrative, eh?

They have a successful racing IP. It’s the first new Forza Motorsport in nearly 6 years, and they’ve spent that time supposedly revamping the racing mechanics. What else do you expect them to do to bring ‘fresh ideas’ to a track racer. Add guns?

Minecraft still remains an evergreen seller and is one of the most played games in the world. Legends is a completely new spin-off. How’s that ‘stale’?

It's great they are talking about games we can play soon but ita clearly just a way for them to avoid talking about the year as a whole.

And yet they have an upcoming Showcase for Starfield, and even an E3 conference where games for H2 2023 and forward will be shown.

This is a clueless take.

They start the year by focusing on the games coming in the first half of the year instead of games coming in the future…

Not gonna argue with the rest because lmao.
Which is totally fair if they are ignoring all the negativity surrounding thier poor release schedule.

So yeah, not sure what is so hilarious about showing what's coming this year.

In fact Sony dropped a trailer showing exactly that and they have been doing pretty well this gen. Wonder who's strategy is paying off more, lets check the numbers.

Why would they do a massive, blowout show in January when they’ve got E3 to do in June?

Cleverly omitting Redfall from this to fit your narrative, eh?

They have a successful racing IP. It’s the first new Forza Motorsport in nearly 6 years, and they’ve spent that time supposedly revamping the racing mechanics. What else do you expect them to do to bring ‘fresh ideas’ to a track racer. Add guns?

Minecraft still remains an evergreen seller and is one of the most played games in the world. Legends is a completely new spin-off. How’s that ‘stale’?

And yet they have an upcoming Showcase for Starfield, and even an E3 conference where games for H2 2023 and forward will be shown.

This is a clueless take.
Who called for a massive blowout? Just a peek is fan, reassures fans and intrigues potential customers.

I omitted Redfall to focus on the overwhelming majority and not the minority, seems fair.

Sony literally released a trailer looking at the games coming this year, yet my take is clueless? Considering Sony's complete domination this gen I'd argue you are the clueless one.

Forza doesnt attract new customers neither does Minecraft. No1 is denying thier popularity, you're shouting at clouds taking from my comments what you want.

Imagine calling this clueless having just watched the (currently winning) competition do just that.

Fanboys done lost thier minds....

Chukhopops

Which is totally fair if they are ignoring all the negativity surrounding thier poor release schedule.

So yeah, not sure what is so hilarious about showing what's coming this year.

In fact Sony dropped a trailer showing exactly that and they have been doing pretty well this gen. Wonder who's strategy is paying off more, lets check the numbers.
For years the « negativity » was that MS was talking about games years away with CG trailers, now it’s that the focus is on the next year or so.

Can’t please everyone but I prefer the current approach since I live in 2023 not 2024. Make another event around June for the rest of the year.

Like I said I won’t argue the rest of your post, been done to death already, you’re just missing « I want them to succeed » and « first party curse » for the full bingo card.

Ozriel

M$FT
Who called for a massive blowout? Just a peek is fan, reassures fans and intrigues potential customers.

I omitted Redfall to focus on the overwhelming majority and not the minority, seems fair.

Sony literally released a trailer looking at the games coming this year, yet my take is clueless? Considering Sony's complete domination this gen I'd argue you are the clueless one.

Forza doesnt attract new customers neither does Minecraft. No1 is denying thier popularity, you're shouting at clouds taking from my comments what you want.

Imagine calling this clueless having just watched the (currently winning) competition do just that.

Fanboys done lost thier minds....

The only reasonable portion of this comment is the last line…which you certainly wrote with yourself in mind.

I take it you won’t be watching the showcase, then? 😀

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
7 pages for the first big show of the year, this site really is dead..
well bye GIF

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I'm really excited to see more 4k footage of Forza. And I suppose I'm interested to see what Minecraft Legends actually is.

Other than that, can't say I'm too hyped for this one. Redfall looks pretty fun but I don't need to see more of it, and I don't care about ESO.

Lone Wolf

Yeah im curious as to how the on track rtx will work, i can see it being two seperate modes, a. Native 4k 60 fps mode, and a reconstructed 4k with rtx at 30 fps mode. Even the most powerful pc’s today can struggle with native res at 60 fps with rtx enabled
I am also real curious to how Forza will perform. Turn 10 is a great developer, hopefully the rtx is implemented well. How will Series S look and perform? excited for tomorrow.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Wut, dude.

They are from proven developers, with full creative freedom from Phil.

It's not some experimental shit.
I'm just saying that it's not guaranteed that a game sees the light of day.

We've seen canceled games from Platinum, the now defunked Lionhead, Sucker Punch, Ubisoft just recently canceled like 6 or 7 games

Creative freedom doesn't mean that everything will come together every time

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
Man, I really hope Redfall has a good showing. The marketing has been abysmal and tonally the game is all over the place. I think it has potential to be a surprise hit as long as the structure and gameplay are good. We shall see.

FM8 can go straight into my veins as long as it doesn't follow in GT7's footsteps with the always-online requirement and MTX insanity.

Riky

$MSFT

It's going to be interesting to see the detail, especially if they are not only using Tier 2 VRS but SFS as well, it's up to first parties to push the hardware and Turn 10 are the best for that.

It's going to be interesting to see the detail, especially if they are not only using Tier 2 VRS but SFS as well, it's up to first parties to push the hardware and Turn 10 are the best for that.
Anything short of a complete and utter technical marvel will disappoint me. It's 2023. 1st party devs need to be pushing Xbox and PlayStation hard.

Same. The Forza Horizon series is my favorite Microsoft/Xbox series and I've really liked 3, 4, and 5. I know everyone's screaming at them to set 6 in Japan, but I trust that they'll pick a cool setting.
Forza Horizon 4 was my first Horizon game other than when they gave away a standalone DLC for Forza Horizon 2 Fast and Furious. And 4 and 5 became one of my most played games.

Motorsport I played a lot of but never really could get into 7, mostly because of the disjointed career mode. I want to start in bad cars and work my way up.

Mr.ODST

Hope they announce a native 60fps mode for Fallout 76, game is picking up again with some great updates but its still held back with the PS4 ver and Xbox One version and no next gen.

Hope they announce a native 60fps mode for Fallout 76, game is picking up again with some great updates but its still held back with the PS4 ver and Xbox One version and no next gen.
And another round of 60fps patches for 360 and One games from the back compat team. I know it won't happen or at least won't be announced, but it would be nice.

Sony literally released a trailer looking at the games coming this year, yet my take is clueless?

This Xbox direct (along with the upcoming Starfield deep dive) is for FIRST PARTY games launching through June, genius.

Spiderman 2 and the Horizon DLC (if you want to consider that a 'new game') are literally the only 1st party software even confirmed for PS5 in 2023.
That trailer you speak of is full of third party multiplats and/or timed exclusives..which is fine, but they don't have the added appeal of being in a service like Gamepass day and date (yes, value matters).

Contrast that trailer to the 2023 Gamepass lineup of Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends, Elder Scrolls Online, Stalker 2, Diablo 4, Atomic Heart, Wo Long Fallen Dynasty, Lies of P, Ark 2, Hollow Knight Silksong, Age of Empires 4, Replaced, Planet of Lana, Last Case of Benedict Fox, Cocoon, Flintlock, Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes, Warhammer Darktide, Ghostwire Tokyo, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Way to the Woods, etc...just incredible value in comparison. No contest.

If MS had any faith in thier current projects we'd see atleast hints of Fable, Hellblade 2, Avowed, Perfect Dark etc.

The silence is deafening.

Microsoft stated last year that their E3 events in June is the time when they show off games that will be releasing within the next 12 months. If you want to get new info about Xbox games releasing past June, you have to wait until this upcoming E3. Not a hard concept to grasp. Sony released hardly any gameplay of GoW: Ragnarok until only a couple months before its release and was widely criticized for it and Spiderman 2 is supposed to come out this year yet all we have is a 30 second announcement trailer.

Riky

$MSFT
This Xbox direct (along with the upcoming Starfield deep dive) is for FIRST PARTY games launching through June, genius.

Spiderman 2 and the Horizon DLC (if you want to consider that a 'new game') are literally the only 1st party software even confirmed for PS5 in 2023.
That trailer you speak of is full of third party multiplats and/or timed exclusives..which is fine, but they don't have the added appeal of being in a service like Gamepass day and date (yes, value matters).

Contrast that trailer to the 2023 Gamepass lineup of Starfield, Redfall, Forza Motorsport, Minecraft Legends, Elder Scrolls Online, Stalker 2, Diablo 4, Atomic Heart, Wo Long Fallen Dynasty, Lies of P, Ark 2, Hollow Knight Silksong, Age of Empires 4, Replaced, Planet of Lana, Last Case of Benedict Fox, Cocoon, Flintlock, Eiyuden Chronicle Hundred Heroes, Warhammer Darktide, Ghostwire Tokyo, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Way to the Woods, etc...just incredible value in comparison. No contest.

Hopefully get the first look at Contraband and Indiana Jones at E3, as well as gameplay footage of Avowed.

Plus the inXile game!

Last edited:
I'm just saying that it's not guaranteed that a game sees the light of day.

We've seen canceled games from Platinum, the now defunked Lionhead, Sucker Punch, Ubisoft just recently canceled like 6 or 7 games

Creative freedom doesn't mean that everything will come together every time
kinda embarrassing that this even has to be pointed out...

CamHostage

Looks like it's going to be a focused event rather than some kind of big gonzo showcase with surprises and re-reveals and megatons (which seems to be bugging people waiting for MS to finally deliver on something out of those 2020 Xbox Showcase reveals besides Forza...)

I like this format a lot myself. Announce the slate early, draw the correct crowd interested in those games, let the developers show off and sell their projects, and don't overpromise or mislead people into thinking all of its streams are equally important or that every one of them is a life-or-death affair. (MS also always had ID@Xbox shows, which is similarly good; Sony used to have different "shows" too in its streaming, with Future of PlayStation and State of Play and Indies Spotlight... then they just started calling everything State of Play and I don't get it?) This can be a huge show for Forza and Redfall and others if they have the right material, but no need for those thinkpieces about the fate of Xbox from just this one show.

PerfectDark

Banned
Xbox has no games ever. Crazy how Xbox has survived. Imagine SNES with no Nintendo games for the whole consoles life. Than they release N64 and 3 years in still no Nintendo games. Nintendo would be dead. Props to MS they make good hardware but they can't make a game to save their life.

Ozriel

M$FT
Lol -- Microsoft is the only company that can do a first party focused direct where half the games are gonna sell better on other platforms.

And they’re probably thrilled with that. Paying customers in addition to Gamepass subs on their hardware.

Xbox has no games ever. Crazy how Xbox has survived. Imagine SNES with no Nintendo games for the whole consoles life. Than they release N64 and 3 years in still no Nintendo games. Nintendo would be dead. Props to MS they make good hardware but they can't make a game to save their life.

Imagine my disbelief when I realized this was actually a serious post and not sarcasm.

Fredrik

lmao they have games but last year was no doubt terrible from a AAA perspective, hopefully they correct it this year, they have so many studios that I’m thinking we’ll see a ”ketchup effect” before this gen ends.

To me this is all about Forza.
First, I love racing car games, but most importantly this will show us the first results of the Forzatech 2.0 engine.
The first engine to be built from the ground up to take advantage all the Direct X 12 Ultimate extensions such as Mesh Shaders, Sampler Feedback Streaming, Xbox Velocity Architecture and more.
This is why unlike GT7 and Forza Horizon 5 it will feature Ray Tracing in track.

This is the first true next generation game for the Xbox Series X.

I am also hanging to see the GT7 vs Forza MS comparison thread that will pop up here.

Last edited:

Sacred

Maybe you should find another site then, unless they banned you for talking about a Harry Potter Game.
What the hell are you even talking about? I made a comment that the day before the showcase there are only 7 pages, it's very disappointing. I've been a member of this site for over 15 years, no need to be rude.

On topic: I'm actually very excited to see some brand new content tomorrow. Redfall and Forza will be good to see a final build.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
What the hell are you even talking about? I made a comment that the day before the showcase there are only 7 pages, it's very disappointing. I've been a member of this site for over 15 years, no need to be rude.

15 years? So what's your other account?

jaQAFMu.png

And discussion of shows usually pick up during and after.

Sacred

15 years? So what's your other account?

jaQAFMu.png

And discussion of shows usually pick up during and after.
I forgot the password on it, so I stopped using it about 5 years ago, especially after the massive ban wave went through the other site.

Back on topic now, I just remember hundreds of pages building up to a conference and being excited to read everyone's thoughts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom